Ultra Magnus: Redstreak's Dumbass TF of the month

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Redstreak
Protoform

Ultra Magnus: Redstreak's Dumbass TF of the month

Post by Redstreak » Wed Jan 02, 2002 2:44 am

(Sorry to borrow Walky's gimmick, but I have a few things to say)

Where can you start with ol' Mags, anyway?

Most Transformer dumbasses are guys like Blurr, Wheelie, et al, who just kind of are annoying but don't really do any harm because they aren't major characters with big responsibility.

Magnus is different. Magnus PISSES ME OFF. Prime must have been on some form of Cybertronian crack entering those last few moments("Quickly Kup, hand me the crack pipe, I need to make my life's final decision!") to have picked Magnus of all people as his successor.

Ye gads. I guess it must have seemed like a good idea at the time, but Magnus wasn't even the most qualified person in the ROOM to be a leader, let alone the most qualified Autobot. And no, I'm not commenting about Rodimus factoring in here. This rant is about Magnus.

Springer was a better choice. Least then it would have been someone with balls, not the whipped dumbass we wound up with. And if there's one spot where ol' Roddy exceeds Optimus, it's in picking his successor. Hell, BLASTER would have been a better pick than Magnus. Least Blaster had initiative.

Oh, the mistakes we make. What is Magnus' first action as leader of the Autobots? To get going on a suicide mission to Cybertron. Pardon me, I know your two bases are being swallowed by a planet, but shouldn't you at least find out where the other Autobots are before you leave, y'know, reinforcements, more people than just nine bots and Daniel? There were a few more guys still on earth than just that pittance that ran for their lives when the Decepticons returned.

The Autobots are then doing something they do for most of the rest of the movie. Running. Leadership? I've seen better leadership from a toy surprise in a Cracker Jack box than what he passed for. They weren't even outnumbered. They had the DINOBOTS. But what do they do? Run for their pathetic lives. It looks like Magnus missed the leadership boat when it sailed, because he sure as hell wasn't on it with that decision.

This brings me to the planet of junk and the events before and during the Autobots' stay there. First off, he can't deal with Kup and Hot Rod being shot down. HUH?! You wanna run that by me again? What's so hard about changing direction and going after them? You'll still be running for your life, but at least this way it won't be as obvious. Instead he blows most of the ship(an actual good solution) and bolts for junk. Great. And let's forget about our buddies while we're at it.

Then the Decepticons come to junk. Okay, I know you're outnumbered. I know you're getting your asses handed to you. But you decide to do WHAT, Magnus?!? Unleash the power of the Matrix?!? Man, Cybertron must have some rich, powerful crack, because there is nothing on this planet that we could smoke to make such a blatantly bad decision. Refresher course, Mags: Prime said AN Autobot would light the darkest hour. He didn't mean it would be you. You're a leader, not routine fodder. Routine fodder is supposed to save the universe.

So Mags stands there, clawing ineffectively at the icon of life, screaming "Open, dammit open!" At this point it should be obvious to him that something here is not qualifying as a Matrix-opening moment. But no; he invokes the spirit of the dead in a plea to get the thing open. Great. Prime's dead an hour and you're already begging to the afterlife for him. Nice precedent there, buddy. I betcha he's still in line at the gates getting his background check. It's things like this that make me call for beatings; it hurts my head like a bad brain freeze. He's dead, leave it be. But that's another rant.

So Mags' reward is to be blasted into a million pieces. I think that was the only time in the movie that I stood up and applauded. Because G**damn, he deserved it. He has wasted the first moments of his existence in the TF universe in a more ineffective way than WHEELIE. And that's saying something.

I want to get a two by four and see if I can't knock some sense into our buddy Mags. I mean, Hot Rod was more in charge BEFORE he became Rodimus, before he had the Matrix, than Magnus was. I guess it's the three step process of Magnus' school of leadership:
1. Get Matrix.
2. Stumble ineffectually about, try to open it at the first opportunity.
3. Die.

It's just sick...and then he turns halfway competent in the series, even though he can't figure out that when Wreck-Gar says you're gonna get canceled or lose your time slot that he means you're gonna get killed. Apparently Mags thought he meant they would be ass-raped. I don't know. Honestly, I don't want to, either. Magnus just makes me want to wretch, and that's the point. I've had bowel movements more intelligent than this guy, and I will in the future, too. And will someone explain how the effing Quints were able to capture him so quick in FFOD? He's FOUR TIMES their size. How, God how, does he get so easily taken away?! And then there's the incident in the Sharkticon pool; see my last rant for that one.

Where's Prowl when you need him?!? Oh yeah, dead. Which means his legacy is this guy. I feel so bad for Prowl, because Magnus does not deserve the title of second-in-command. He deserves but one title.

Dumbass.

R.

------------------
Thanks to Skycat for the sig pic!
-------------------------
Come on down to RCOSD & Redstreak's basement, where torture and pain are our game.

Reflector

Post by Reflector » Wed Jan 02, 2002 3:39 am

Originally posted by R:
I guess it's the three step process of Magnus' school of leadership:
1. Get Matrix.
2. Stumble ineffectually about, try to open it at the first opportunity.
3. Die.
This seems familiar...

------------------

Blaster_86

Post by Blaster_86 » Wed Jan 02, 2002 4:01 am

I'd counter rant if I wasn't so damn lazy but I am. I could answer all your questions, pm me and I will Red.

------------------
Optimus Prime do you read me the Decepticons are blitzing Autobot city, we're really taking a pounding; dunno how much longer we can hold out-Blaster in Tf:TM
Thanks to Dai our tea boy for this sig.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No Way Two Can Play
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Roger Me Wilco Me, ANYTHING. HELLO HELLO EARTH

Redstreak
Protoform

Post by Redstreak » Wed Jan 02, 2002 4:12 am

Originally posted by Reflector:
This seems familiar...

Yeah, was it you that wrote it, Flec? Cuz I know it was on a mod's sig before...

R.

------------------
Come on down to RCOSD & Redstreak's basement, where torture and pain are our game.

Roddy

Post by Roddy » Wed Jan 02, 2002 10:28 am

I don't like G1 Magnus very much either. However, RiD Magnus was pretty cool.

Roddy

------------------

[This message has been edited by Roddy (edited 01-02-2002).]

[This message has been edited by Roddy (edited 01-02-2002).]

Luda-Chris
Protoform

Post by Luda-Chris » Wed Jan 02, 2002 11:45 am

I agree Magnus was a bit of a moron
But i Disagree that Springer would have been any better, for the simple fact of who he would have as his second in command is enough.
Magnus May be dumb but Springer is a Way bigger D-Head
Blurr would Have been better than both these guys.

Starscreamsghost

Post by Starscreamsghost » Wed Jan 02, 2002 6:16 pm

Originally posted by Redstreak:
Yeah, was it you that wrote it, Flec? Cuz I know it was on a mod's sig before...
That would be Brend, not surprisingly.

And if you want to rant about Dumbasses that haven't been done by Walky yet, I'd say Devastator, RiD Megatron, Bob Budianksy, Tow-Line, and the BM writing team are all long overdue.

------------------
Starscreamsghost - Better Than You Since 1981
IM: Absolut Vaccaro
------------------------
Ain't nuthin but a gangsta party. --2Pac

Redstreak
Protoform

Post by Redstreak » Thu Jan 03, 2002 4:42 am

The BM writing team sounds like a good idea, 'cept I never saw BM...but Devastator's an interesting one. I'm also thinking about Optimus Prime.

R.

------------------

Blaster_86

Post by Blaster_86 » Thu Jan 03, 2002 5:16 am

I dare ya to do Blaster Image

------------------
Optimus Prime do you read me the Decepticons are blitzing Autobot city, we're really taking a pounding; dunno how much longer we can hold out-Blaster in Tf:TM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No Way Two Can Play
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ThunderCracker84

Post by ThunderCracker84 » Thu Jan 03, 2002 5:18 am

Originally posted by Blaster_86:
I dare ya to do Blaster Image

I agree, please do a Blaster one

------------------
Thanks to dai-atlas2000 for my sig

Blaster_86

Post by Blaster_86 » Thu Jan 03, 2002 5:42 am

[quote]Originally posted by ThunderCracker84:
I agree, please do a Blaster one

[/QUOTES]
there is a method to my madness and if he does Blaster you'll see Image

------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No Way Two Can Play
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Blitzwing 2
Protoform

Post by Blitzwing 2 » Thu Jan 03, 2002 10:26 pm

(
The Autobots are then doing something they do for most of the rest of the movie. Running. Leadership? I've seen better leadership from a toy surprise in a Cracker Jack box than what he passed for. They weren't even outnumbered. They had the DINOBOTS. But what do they do? Run for their pathetic lives. It looks like Magnus missed the leadership boat when it sailed, because he sure as hell wasn't on it with that decision.

Well, if standing and fighting and getting killed in the process is such a great thing then boy he is dumb for trying to run. But tell me, do the Autobots have any method of fighting the Decepticons in the air? No, except for Dinobots, the Autobots would have been sitting ducks. So the Autobots just stand there and get shot to pieces. This is so similar to the American air power in WW II. Whenever the Germans heard the sound of an airplane, they ran like little school girls cause they didn't have a way to fight back. It's the same case here, they really can't fight back so they run. And if they do fight and die, then the only ones are left are the Dinobots. And if you think Magnus is dumb, would Grimlock be a better choice, cause that's what you're saying if the Autobots fight the Decepticons there.

Let's compare the ships used by each side. Galvatrons is armed to the teeth with missles and such and he can send out Cyclonus(Sp?) like he did compared to the Autobots ships. The Autobot ships are made for a transporting stuff and only sport a few foward fixed guns. Gee, the Autobots should really try and fight the Decepticons here.

And what about bad ass Magnus from TROP? That Magnus was cool just because he kicked anybody's ass who got in his way when he went after Rodimus.

------------------
Tell me what's on your mind. Or I'll splatter it on the wall and see for myself!

Warsteiner:Because life is too short to drink cheap beer.
Der Rathskeller:Because we are the best of the wurst!

Redstreak
Protoform

Post by Redstreak » Thu Jan 03, 2002 11:39 pm

Methinks someone is trying to spoil my fun...

R.

------------------

Blitzwing

Post by Blitzwing » Fri Jan 04, 2002 12:05 am

Methinks someone is trying to spoil my fun...

If he didn't, I would have. Ultra Magnus was cool. Not only in the UK comics but in the cartoon as well. He sacrificed himself in the movie so that the other Autobots could live. Did you not notice how he sealed the other Autobots off in junk so that the Decepticons couldn't get to them? He may not be the smoothest thinker when it comes to being in command, but he's still a great Autobot. There are other examples I can go into like in FFoD part 5, the Killing Jar, Surprise Party, TRoOP, etc... but I think you get my point.

------------------
Please visit theTF Mausoleum
"Nobody kills Kakarot while I'm around. Destiny has reserved that pleasure for me!"
-Vegita, Android Saga.
Who Am I winners: Kickback

Auntie Slag
Custom Title: Satisfaction guaranteed!

Post by Auntie Slag » Fri Jan 04, 2002 12:26 am

Well,

I won't comment on the cartoons, but in the UK comic continuity, Magnus was a pretty tough guy. He was also the ultimate underdog, especially in the early stuff, i.e. Target: 2006 onwards.

Time and again Magnus would put himself on the line, and repeatedly he squared up against Galvatron and got beaten to a pulp because of it.

But he kept on trying, and when he did, he could even beat Galvatron. I'd buy the guy a pint if it were possible.

After that, he didn't get much time because of all the other new toys coming in. But he had a good crack of the whip (Ooooh matron), and made his mark.

Shame he wasn't portrayed in the same light in the cartoons, but Magnus' presence meant a quality issue most of the time in the comics.

Regards,
Windcharger

------------------

Blaster_86

Post by Blaster_86 » Fri Jan 04, 2002 12:50 am

Magnus-Cool
Rodimus- Not Image

j/k

------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No Way Two Can Play
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Redstreak
Protoform

Post by Redstreak » Fri Jan 04, 2002 2:04 am

And apparently, everyone is ignoring the point I made about Magnus in the previous rant as well.

And did I mention the comic? No.
Did I mention post-movie beyond part one/two of FFOD? No.

You guys need to learn to read; all the examples you give are ones that are irrelevant to the rant at hand, especially those about the UK comic, which I have read TWO whole issues of in my time.

This was about his leadership ability or lack thereof. After he became big brother to Rodimus he was much more tolerable in many ways. And I don't think that the hate-plague infected Magnus counts as any show of how he really is.

I think now I understand why Walky doesn't put these things on a message board now, and mayhaps I will merely put them on my webpage from here on out, for most of the people who have replied to this post(Again, that's MOST, not ALL) have apparently missed the argument.

And about the escape from Autobot City; you can't tell me all the guns were shut down, and then there are the other Autobots still there; how about a little cover fire, boys?

Pissed off,

R.

------------------

Quick Switch

Post by Quick Switch » Fri Jan 04, 2002 2:11 am

I've always liked Ultra Magnus.

A large part of this is that Magnus was voiced by Robert Stack. Jack Angel did a good job too, but I liked Mr. Angel better as Astrotrain and Omega Supreme. He's a fine voice actor, in any event.

I can understand why some people don't like him. He's fallible. He comes across as impeded in some way, weak by some of his actions. Most of these seem to come from him failing to activate the Matrix against Galvatron or Cyclonus, or his behavior in the battle of Autobot City.

I really can't speculate about his conduct in the battle. I think he did as well as he could under those circumstances. There will be those here who disagree. That's fine; it's their opinion. I liked his lines during the battle, they displayed a presence of command and authority. He WAS the City Commander, and you believed it. (I did, anyway.)

On the planet of Junk, his actions was heroic. A commander always sees to his men before to his own needs. A good one, anyway. Magnus' actions illustrate this.

Backtracking a bit, Magnus' actions with Prime also shows he knows his area of expertise (soldiering) and is not an overall commander. He fits in well in his own niche of hierarchy.

It's a shame (as I believe Cliffjumper has noted) of the "character rape" (again, I believe this was his terminology) of Magnus. An opportunity wasted, to be sure.

I'm only adding to the two Blitzwing's posts, but of course no one can offer a complete defense of a character. I readily admit Redstreak's post has its merits. Image

That's all I've got to say about that.

------------------
-------
" A confused enemy is a defeated enemy. "

[This message has been edited by Quick Switch (edited 01-03-2002).]