Annoying text box.

Problem? Question? Suggestion? Post it here.
Treadshot A1

Annoying text box.

Post by Treadshot A1 »

Has anyone else noticed that whenever they post, any word with an apostrophe is deemed incorrect by the spell check? It doesn't affect the final post, but it's really getting annoying, coz now i don't know when i've spelt something wrong or not.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

There's a spell check? People actually use that ****ing annoying interface with buttons to do tags?

Control Panel > Edit Options > Miscellaneous > Basic Editor.

Plus a browser that includes spell checking (such as Firefox) -- because that's where a spell checker should be, if anywhere, not provided in lots of different ways by different sites.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Denyer wrote:People actually use that ****ing annoying interface with buttons to do tags?
Only because I'm stultifyingly lazy. Never noticed the spell check, though. I tend to run a manual abject stupidity check and that's good enough for me.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

I have a new compuer (Yay!) but for some reason I can't get the Firefox spellcheck to download (Nay!). Nicely though I now have Microsoft Word for the first time ever (Yay!) so most post longer than two lines I'm doing in there so it isn't much of a problem, just a irritant.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

For simpler stuff (basically bold italic underline) the text box accepts normal word processing keyboard shortcuts. Can't say I like it any more than HTML editors that do the same thing, personally -- I prefer tag completion that automatically closes the current tag when </ is typed rather than adding <tag>cursor here</tag> on a keyboard shortcut.

Ooh, jEdit's up to pre16...
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

inflatable dalek wrote:for some reason I can't get the Firefox spellcheck to download (Nay!)
It's built into the browser. You only need a British English dictionary if you downloaded the US version of the browser install originally (which is possible for people who've been using it for years; nowadays the site automatically serves up a UK version by looking at your IP address.)

http://download.mozilla.org/?product=fi ... lang=en-GB

I'm surprised Opera hasn't jumped onto this wagon.
secretcode

Post by secretcode »

People still use Opera?
Latest Hauls: Supertrain Megazord, RID Galvatron, Nightwatch Prime
TF Total: 173 ---- Non-TF: 32
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

It's a decent backup, particularly useful for older hardware. I quite like its default rendering of RSS and tend to use it as a second browser for guests so that they don't mess with my Firefox sessions or have to ask stupid/annoying questions about where things are in my normal customised browser.
Treadshot A1

Post by Treadshot A1 »

Oops, must have worded it wrong in the first post. I don't use the spellcheck, it's just i'm fed up of having many words underlined in red.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]