Binaltech? Alternators?

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Mirage

Binaltech? Alternators?

Post by Mirage »

ok, ok, so call me stoopid, but what is the difference between binal tech tf's and alternator tf's? are one higher quality than the other?

Also, I am looking to start my collection of binal tech transformers after being away from the game for over a year but they puzzle me. However, they do look rather cool, how bug are they, do they tower over other g1 tf's?? is there a show to go with them? which are the best and most amusing to have? are they like rid in their inability to retain their original shape once transformed?

Top of the hitlist to try for me are streak, lambor, hound, wheeljack and shockblast
join me on myspace!!!! http://www.myspace.com/jezzy_bravo

if you get chance check out my eBay auctions...... http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQsassZjezzy_bravoQQhtZ-1
Reflector

Post by Reflector »

"The difference is time!"

Now I don't own any Binaltechs, but from what I've heard...

Binaltechs have die-cast parts, while Alts are all plastic. As such, BTs are way heavier and have paint that, I'm told, sometimes chips rather easily. The color sometimes also seems a little richer on the BTs because of the paint, but I think the drop in cost (over here, anyway) and better balance are worth the sacrifice.

As well, the releases are slightly different. BT had both a yellow and a blue Tracks while Alts only had the blue; BT got a second Smokescreen with different numbers and a missile launcher; BT Overdrive appears to have his gun barrel, while Alt Windcharger doesn't. Little things.

They're each at least six or eight inches tall. They're really solid, and they're big enough to be plenty detailed. Some of the earlier ones had obnoxious transformations (I still can't get Smokescreen back into car mode just right), but in general they're premium Transformers.

I'd highly recommend Grimlock/Wheeljack, Windcharger (Overdrive)/Decepticharge, Swindle, Dead End, and Ravage. Shockblast/Meister looks killer too, but I can't find one... Anyway, they're sure worth the money. You won't regret it.

EDIT: Oh, and there's no cartoon. I know, I was upset too.
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

Yes, mostly what Reflector said.

Binaltechs are about 30% die cast. As you can imagine, those metallic parts are painted over and not moulded in colour. Due to some transformation schemes the paint might chip away [only from the metallic parts].

The paintjobs are superior to the alternators with the exception of Hound and Silverstreak [exactly the same].

Some differences between already released figures:

Alt Smokescreen's paintjob is much duller that his Bt's colour.
Alt Sideswipe also features a duller red and some blackwash on his chest.
Alt Dead End's black is not as shiny as on the Bt, otherwise identical.
Alt Meister has a flat white paintjob, his BT self has a much richer white and also comes out in an extremely cool red version [different shade than Lambor\Sideswipe]
Alt Grimlock has no chrome on his gun and hubcaps.
Alt Ravage suffers from the same colour problem as Dead End.

Binaltechs come in fairly small boxes that contain illustrated booklets [gone are the primitive instructions], collector's card and [coolest feature, hands down] a display stand!

There is not a show, but the story is set right before the movie. They are the same characters as in G1.

Binaltechs cost 44~50 dollars and Alternators cost 19~24 dollars. I personally go with Binaltechs. I believe they are of higher quality. The ones worth having [so far] are: Meister [definitely]\Shockwave, Grimlock [wheeljack looks cooler but he's not out yet], Windcharger [or Overdrive, out in the end of the month] and Dead End.
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

Shameless plug:

http://www.binalternators.de/ - ALL there is to know. ;)
Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.