Alt Prime = rubbish

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Almighty Galvatron
Protoform

Alt Prime = rubbish

Post by Almighty Galvatron »

Got my alternator prime today. I think dodge rams are an aesthetic abomination, so I was hoping the robot mode and toy quality might redeem that particular failing of the toy, but boy was I wrong.

The knees (which are there, just very high up on his legs and well hidden) are incredibly loose, only just short of hampering his ability to stand up without the knee locks on. Mind you the knee locks are loose too...

Prime's hands are in contrast incredibly stiff and hard to move, doubtless these will loosen up over time to match his legs. The amount of additional baggage on his arms also hampers his articulation and posability.

The front bumper needs only a slight breeze to disturb it and it will fall off.

Luckily they don't make a point of talking up the working steering on the box, because the steering, contrary to what you see under the bonnet, doesn't.

It seems that I have finally come across an alternator/BT that I like even less than Tracks etc as a design, and the build quality makes my knock off constructicons look really good in comparison.
Peale
Protoform

Post by Peale »

Yikes! And I've been scouring the store looking for him, too.

Perhaps I'll wait for Nemesis Prime, maybe they'll get it right by then.

Can't wait for Mirage!
Almighty Galvatron
Protoform

They're going to need to do more than just change the colours to overcome the shortcomings with this mould.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Got mine this afternoon, and couldn't disagree more! :p He's function over form...

He may have a bit of kibble, but there's no pose he can't strike, and that's what I like.

Also, haven't noticed any problems with joints being too loose/tight. The legs more easily, but they're certainly stable enough for the figure to stand. Have you tried adjusting the screws to see if that helps?
Almighty Galvatron
Protoform

There are no accessable screws on the joints in question. Maybe you got a better batch of Primes in the states. Most of my fellow TFNZ members are reporting similar problems. How does your bumper sit?
ravimus prime
Protoform

Post by ravimus prime »

I'm really torn on getting him. He doesn't look great in pictures, but neither did Prowl. Most of them are sold by Japanese companies on eBay, and I just don't trust them.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Originally posted by Almighty Galvatron
There are no accessable screws on the joints in question. Maybe you got a better batch of Primes in the states. Most of my fellow TFNZ members are reporting similar problems. How does your bumper sit?

The front bumper? After a bit of negotiation, it settles back into place snuggly. I had a bit of trouble getting the whole roof/windshield assembly back into place until I realized that I hadn't gotten the arms back into the proper place, but the bumper pieces haven't caused any problems.

Anyway! Positives about Prime:

1) Has the coolest transforming engine block/gun of any of the Bin/Alts.

2) According to his license plate, he's not from California, but from Cybertron :p (this is really subtlely done.)

3) Despite all the blocky bulk, he's the most easily articulated mold alongside Skids and Prowl (Prowl with reversed legs, that is :)).

I will say that if the underside of the truck were cut a little lower to make the knees visible from the front (or even if they were moved further down the leg), he would look a lot less clunky. As it is, though, nothing gets in the way of movement, so it doesn't irk me a bit.

And the steering mechanism does completely suck, though. They should've used magnets.
Almighty Galvatron
Protoform

You forget that he can't move his arms abvove horizontal due to those blue things.
After a bit of negotiation, it settles back into place snuggly

Mine doesn't require much encouragement to go back on, but by the same token, requires little encouragement to fall off.

As for the gun, I like it, apart from the fact the handle is so long that it looks like it's floating above Prime's hand most of the time
Peale
Protoform

Post by Peale »

Bah...no Wal-Mart within 50 miles (at least) has ANY Alternators, so I'll have to wait for Target. They have a TON of Sunstreakers, Skids and the other two repaints, so I forsee a long wait to even *see* these.
DDM
Protoform

Post by DDM »

i'm not sure he's out in retail stores yet.

seems like only online stores have him.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Originally posted by Almighty Galvatron
Mine doesn't require much encouragement to go back on, but by the same token, requires little encouragement to fall off.

Really? Mine has no problems like that whatsoever with the bumper pieces.

About the arm stiffness: give the shoulder screws about a one-quarter to one-half turn to loosen them up. That should let the arms move quite easily.

You're right about the legs, though: I thought the screw holding the knees in place was accessible, but it's not, apparently.

Have you had the stick shift in yours pop off? Mine required a drop of super glue to hold it down. I suppose the rubber piece just doesn't want to conform to the hard plastic on its own.
Almighty Galvatron
Protoform

Have you had the stick shift in yours pop off? Mine required a drop of super glue to hold it down. I suppose the rubber piece just doesn't want to conform to the hard plastic on its own.

Surprisingly, that's one fault my Alt OP doesn't have
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

*bumpy*

I just got Nemesis Prime. He makes my inner child cry tears of teh evil. :(