There's something about Metroplex...

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Octopus Slime
Protoform

There's something about Metroplex...

Post by Octopus Slime »

I remember as a kid i had the g1 metroplex, and I loved that thing.

This new-fangled cybertron metroplex is not too bad either. But then I looked at it in vehicle mode and wondered.

I'm not gonna say anything about Metroplexes lifestyle choices, but comon!
Tetsuro
Protoform
Custom Title: Poe Dameron did nothing wrong

Post by Tetsuro »

It's supposed to be loosely based on this:

cowscows527
Protoform

Post by cowscows527 »

"loosely" being the keyword. I think they could have done a better job at making it look like the actual machine then they did. That said, I think the robot for Metroplex isn't that bad.
Octopus Slime
Protoform

Post by Octopus Slime »

Yeah, but his transformed 'form' is just the robot uhhh...kneeling
Wildfire Herald

Post by Wildfire Herald »

Originally posted by Tetsuro
It's supposed to be loosely based on this:

What in god's name is the practical application for a machine that size? That thing's practically a city!
R.I.P. Hunter S. Thompson

"That's Claypool for ya; he's against a harmless drug, but for date-rape..."
"Just say "NO!" to Gonadial Irradiation." - Snake

"I would ride that pony in the most illegal and obscene way possible. " - Spengs

My want list
I need ROTS Clone Troopers
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

Originally posted by Wildfire Herald
What in god's name is the practical application for a machine that size? That thing's practically a city!

Strip mining.
Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
Octopus Slime
Protoform

Post by Octopus Slime »

Who ever said strip mining was boring?

It only weighs 26 million pounds! FANCY!http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bucket-wheel_excavator
SHOCKERS
Protoform

Post by SHOCKERS »

Well the bucket wheel does look like a huge saw blade. :laugh:

Which made me think that if Takara ever made a Galaxy Metrotitan,this could be a good alt mode. :)
''Every experiment needs a guineapigatron!''
Tetsuro
Protoform

Post by Tetsuro »

Funnily enough, such device was featured in one comic storyline as well, when Megatron ran out of fuel in a mine. He tossed the excavator wheel in frustration just before going kaput.
SHOCKERS
Protoform

Post by SHOCKERS »

A simple coincidence? I think not.
''Every experiment needs a guineapigatron!''
Chris McFeely
Protoform

Post by Chris McFeely »

Despite the fact that his alternate mode is complete and utter garbage (I'm SO tired of seeing that excavator picture - he might be supposed to be based on it, but he DOESN'T LOOK LIKE IT!), the toy itself is actually quite fun.
ColdBain
Protoform

Metroplex is my friend

Post by ColdBain »

You know, because of the pose-ability of the toy, I have been trying to figure out a 'different transformation scheme' to display him in, haven't really come up with anything worthwhile yet, but the goal is to get him to be some kind of 'add on' to my original Metroplex (good 'ole autobot city).
But as a side note, has anyone seen the G1 Inspired 6" Ultra Magnus? Anyone else go; 'Golly gee that's cool, why are his arm sockets behind his back?' Well I did. I was looking at the smaller robot mode of my Cybertron Metroplex, and how the arm sockets have to slide along a railing to be situated at the correct space for when he is the shorter robot. They should add a feature like that for the 6" G1 Inspired Ultra Magnus... otherwise it looks like he is thrusting his chest forward. And nobody likes square metal breasts. No human at least. I hope.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Originally posted by Chris McFeely
I'm SO tired of seeing that excavator picture - he might be supposed to be based on it, but he DOESN'T LOOK LIKE IT!

It's also worth noting that just because an alt mode is modelled on something real, it's not somehow beyond being ugly and unsuitable. Heavy Tread, for example, looks utterly ridiculous whether his alt mode exists or not.

"You can't knock Metroplex for having a crap alt mode! I mean, I have a PHOTO!!! Therefore you are wrong and it's awesome!!!!!"
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Originally posted by Wildfire Herald
What in god's name is the practical application for a machine that size?

The only practical application I can think of is "being wheeled out by people as justification for Cybertron Metroplex's dodgy alt mode"...
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

I can't remember who I was arguing with (may have been Roddy), but basically I liked Afterburner, and his case for this character sucking was purely that he had an unrealistic alt mode. It's still on my list of things to do when I win the lottery - have an Afterburner-stylee motorbike made up so whenever anyone knocks the chap for being unrealistic, I can just say "I have one, so how's it unrealistic?". Maybe this is what's happened? Anyone see a picture of one before Cybertron Metroplex came out, hmmm? Hmmm? Wassatt? Same number of people who wanted the Sunstorm toy before he was in the DW comic, then...
Tetsuro
Protoform

Post by Tetsuro »

I admit, Metroplex has probably the most useless alt mode ever.

I mean, do EITHER end of that tool thingymajig reach the ground?
Clay

Post by Clay »

Originally posted by Tetsuro
I admit, Metroplex has probably the most useless alt mode ever.

He's not quite as bad as Menasor.

One big drill? Maybe useful. Two big drills mounted in the same direction? Pretty useless since it can't burrow holes, what with the vehicle getting in the way.

Robot mode is pretty fun, though.
Wildfire Herald

Post by Wildfire Herald »

Originally posted by Brendocon
The only practical application I can think of is "being wheeled out by people as justification for Cybertron Metroplex's dodgy alt mode"...

Ba-zing.
R.I.P. Hunter S. Thompson

"That's Claypool for ya; he's against a harmless drug, but for date-rape..."
"Just say "NO!" to Gonadial Irradiation." - Snake

"I would ride that pony in the most illegal and obscene way possible. " - Spengs

My want list
I need ROTS Clone Troopers
ColdBain
Protoform

Menasor Cybertron...

Post by ColdBain »

Menasor Cybertron has an absolutely ridiculous alternative mode! That mode is really odd, it's barely a transformation:
"Ok, I'm just gonna lie down and put a fireplace guard over my face, there, I'm a real Transformer! Watch me Transform!"

Talking of tall Transformers, I've got a Cybertron Primus on lay-by (has the loose Unicron head with it), and I was looking at the guy thinking: "Hmm, for a giant robot, he looks pretty well proportioned. I can believe that you are a scaled down Transformable Planet buddy, congratulations." Then I thouhgt about my lovely Armada Unicron, and thought about how ****ing huge his head is in comparison. When I first bought the damn toy, I always thought his hands and head were too big. He didn't seemed like a scaled down Transformable Planet to me, he just seemed like a plastic mould of a pygmy or something. Anyone get that feeling?

As for Metroplex's transformation. One can see how it pays homage to that giant strip mining monstronsity, but one just gets the impression that despite his Transformation, it just looks like Metroplex is paying homage to the Buddha. With a big axe on his back.