So...when does our hobby end?

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Knightdramon
Protoform

So...when does our hobby end?

Post by Knightdramon »

Over the past few months I've acquired some mildly expensive figures (been trying to collect all the Decepticon leaders-and I'm nearly there) and after a few weeks, I simply put the lot of them off display. Only ones still out are Nemesis Prime [Uni], Megatron [RID] and Megatron [BW TMII].

And then there's all the BTs I've got, and frankly, I only display about 6 of them at the time. Not to mention the gundams I have.

My point is...how long will this keep going on? And I'm not talking only about me, but about most users here in general. For how much longer are you going to be buying figures, more figures and then some more? It's not going to be long before the Titanium 6 inches line reaches a count of 20+, Classics gets about there too and then the movie line.

I'm going for quality over quality [and that's why I display such a small number of figures compared to my collection] and then there's people who have their entire collection on a huge bookcase crowding their room. In which category do you fall?
Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

I'm in it for the fiction, and that'll continue as long as people write it.
Osku
Protoform

Post by Osku »

Fiction primarily. Enjoying at most parts of IDW material at the moment. Reading TMUK fanfiction material from compiled CD now and then.

Can't find motivation to watch Energon and Cybertron cartoons. Still got Masterforce and Victory DVD boxes to look forward to.

Toywise concentrating on animal Transformers toys, on the border of becoming completionist on those. I blame Clay. :( Picking occasionally other TF toys that interest me.
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

I'm probably going to be done with transformers once classics ends, aside from a few odd figures in the Beast Era and 1 or 2 G1s, unless the post-movie series really wows me.

I pick up the odd Star Wars figure, but it's usually a short list of what I want from that.

The biggie right now is GI Joe, and that well is pretty much drying up quick, since they're done with new 3.75, and even the old figures are dirt cheap (aside from the extremely rare/highly desired ones, like Snake Eyes v2), so I've been able to easily catch up. I'll probably pick up the odd Sigma 6 figure, but they're a bit too big, for the space I have, to think about collecting on the level I'd like to. Luckily, there's really only a few that really catch my eye.
Justin
Protoform

Post by Justin »

I have asked myself when the collecting will end, and the best answer I can come up with is when it stops being fun. I wasn't going to buy any cybertron, but I got a couple out of curiosity. Now I have quite a few of them. I have two shelves crowding out the dining room right now, I like them there just because I like to pull down some random figures and play a bit.
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

Not rightly sure.

Lately, I've been blowing off TFs in favor of comics, Marvel Legends, DC Direct, and liquor. However, I have picked up several of the Classics, and I fully intend to keep doing so.

I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty much done with hardcore collecting.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Originally posted by Justin
I have asked myself when the collecting will end, and the best answer I can come up with is when it stops being fun.

That sounds about right.

Although I do seriously need to buy some more storage boxes and lower the density of the shelves again, and hopefully end up selling a few on ebay...

Theoretically, I'll buy any and all of the fancy 1:24 scale cars that they'll ever put out, especially considering that the slow rate at which they're released makes it easy to afford them. I like them, and they impress houseguests more than than any other type, so I'm content to pursue only them at this point. Aside from that, I did manage to coerce a professional presention out of them, so I'll probably always have them for posterity's sake.

I've got all the of the 'normal' animal molds and remolds from the various Beast Wars series, so those shelves are pretty static. Small Transformers tend not to be expensive, and they all fit neatly in a box, so they're not a financial or spatial burden.

Other stuff (main lines, reissues, etc.) are more subject to whim, and occassionally get flushed out on ebay. Those are what I need to pick up some extra boxes for - it's easier to figure out whether they're worth keeping or not after they've been out of sight in the closet for a month.
-Predaking-
Protoform

Post by -Predaking- »

I plan to keep on collecting Alt, MP, Classics, and maybe movie toys. After that I may get some G1 that I still want and be done with TF... unless they have stuff like Classics coming out still. I may never stop collecting toys however but space is a concern now that I am married and could be moving with my wife soon.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

TF-wise, I'm more into the comics at the mo, though more than that I'm into discussion... apart from a handful of realistic wants, I've had all the Transformers I want for a couple of years, which is probably where the wanting Gobots comes from. That said, I still enjoy Transformers to a large enough degree to turn up in on-topic arguments a fair few times. That said, I haven't found much of interest in Energon or Cybertron, and am finding a lot of the various Armada stuff i accumuilated a bit regrettable - I think the comics give me enough "current" stuff to feel in the loop. I thin I've bought about 5 Transformers in the past couple of yearsd...
ColdBain
Protoform

Post by ColdBain »

I'd like to think that there will be an end to the 'collecting of toys' for me. I don't like the idea of worrying about which ones I don't have, and having to rush out and nab them before they go up in rarity/price for the rest of my life. I decided to take it in turns, and have a relatively small and neat collection.
When Armada came out, I bought (really, out of curiosity) quite of few of them. The same with Energon. By the time Cybertron roled around, I realized how much better that line was, and felt like I had wasted my money on a new set of Transformers to display. In the end, all I really wanted was the Unicron and a Cool Optimus Prime. So I got rid of all my Armada and Energon toys, and kept Unicron and Optimus (from Cybertron), and I also got rid of all my old Beast wars, G1, and G2 stuff (which came to a lot of money actually). All my older toys were broken, destroyed, and had fading paint/stickers, but I only began to realize how massive Transformers had become world wide just at the beginning of this year. I had thrown away my childhood dreams of owning my favourite G1 originals, but suddenly I realized that you could still buy them, and in brand new condition as well.
I decided that I wanted a controlled collection, a collection that could 'reach a point', which is why I decided to collect the Takara re-releases. I also concluded that I would get my favourite G1 Toys, only if I could get them in their original boxes. I'm also collecting the occassional special release, Masterpiece, Hybrid Style, anniversary editions, all that yooha. Asside from that, the Classics Line and the Titanium 6"s are my home I think. I can't really say for the future or when it will end for me, but I can't see another series of Transformers coming out that would really excite me. But then again, it would be a nice surprize if it did.
Sixswitch

Post by Sixswitch »

I don't think I can consider myself truly active in the hobby anymore. I'm here for the community (GD mostly) and the AWF. I do read other threads, but more out of curiosity's sake. And I'll be going to see the new film of course.

-Ss
I found God. Then I lost him. He'll probably turn up down the back of the sofa someday.
"The early bird gets the worm, but the early worm is ****ed."
"I'm not oppressing you Stan, but you haven't got a womb. Where's the fetus going to gestate? You going to keep it in a box?"
Mirage

Post by Mirage »

hmmmm, it's a tricky question to answer. i was originally going to get all the tf's from the 1st and 2nd years, then i changed to incude targetmasters/headmasters/triplechangers/micomasters.

i then went on to pvc's when they first came out, myclones, ehobby special editions and lucky draw figures. then the armada minicon teams and hard hero busts.

about 6 months ago i got almost all of the alternators, still a few to get.

in the last 3 months i've also moved into getting decoys, diaclones and comics. got 195 uk g1 comics last month, 27 decoys, and a blue diaclone bluestreak.

for me now, it's just checking figures off a list i have.

at the moment i will only stop collecting once my personal checklist is complete, or if there are any new lines which take my eye in the meantime.

there's a few diaclones - police sunstreaker, red mirage, yellow trailbreaker, blue trailbreaker, red hoist, black ironhide, red sunstreaker, blue swoop, blue slag, black snarl

and a few alternators - nemesis prime, swerve, prowl, battle ravage, meister, rumble

and a few decoys - slag, snarl, grimlock, sludge, rumble, megatron, trailbreaker, ratchet, ironhide, wheeljack

and a few g1's - inferno, ultra magnus, galvatron, scourge, blurr, artfire, springer, wreck garr

and a few comics, issues 1 and 2, and 198-332

and a few ehobbys - diaclone insecticons, minibot variants, hauler

.......once i've got these i will stop collecting, after any new lines that catch my eye too.
dedicon
Protoform

Post by dedicon »

Good question dude, especially now, with me getting into Gundams and worse, Xbox 360 games and accsessories.

I think i will be done with BW in the next 2 months, so at least that will be done with. Then, my collection will be limited to classics, alts,mps and leaders/Starscream/Unicron vers(execpt that green 5,000$ one).

Naturally,i'll be sick of those as well due time, just not now. I think it will take a couple of year, but i can see the hobby dying for me.

Now, i just want to enjoy it :)
Really want the original(basic) Rattrap's gun. Please PM me if you have one you might spare!