POST YOUR NEWEST ACQUISITIONS!

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Paul053

Post by Paul053 »

numbat wrote:Transformers United Frenzy & Rumble came in the post today, thanks to Knightdramon.

Initial impressions are very good - they have a more interesting transformation than I expected, an amazing amount of paint applications, and great articulation. QC is remarkably good for Takara these days, although each does have different loose joints.

The springloaded piledrivers are a nice touch, and very welcome, but are very easily set off which can be a bit annoying when trying to pose them or transform them. Still, I guess you can't have it all ways, and I'd rather choose the piledrivers and slight irritation than have them left out.

I think they're the best Scout sized Transformers I own (although I am sentimentally attached to Windcharger) - it's a real shame they didn't see a wider release.
:clap:Congratulations on getting them.

I really like these two guys. Don't know, they just mean so much. And I actually prefer these two than other 3rd party stuffs. What you said is true, the pile driver activation is really annoying. The should move those buttons somewhere. At least not that easy to be touched.
Thunderwave
Protoform

Post by Thunderwave »

Oooh boy. Been over a month since I posted anything here. Anyways, I snagged a bunch of new bits:

Kre-o army building packs:
Snagged the pair of these during a BOGO sale at TRU. Why? Well, Cliffjumper and the Vehicons are a natrual. The other set, though, was free, and Barricade looks like a damn thug. Plus hey, Autoroopers (yes, I'm going there)!

Kre-o Blind pack figures:
Snagged all but Waspinator in my first run and had to track him down separately. The only vehicle modes I like are Crankstart and Spinister. The rest are garbage. However they are adorable little robots and, finally, a Waspinator figure that's perfectly suited to him. Namely one you can pull apart and not feel bad about it. ;)

Generations Springer:
Not a terrible figure. Not sure how I feel about not being able to properly store the sword without moving one of his missile launchers, but hey, he comes with his sword and both launchers. He's not a terrible representation of the figure, and the only one I've been able to get my hands on, so he's it until he dies or something better comes along.

Generations Wheelie:
Not one I was planning on getting, but I found him at the local TRU with Springer and his colors drew me in. As much as I dislike Wheelie on general principle I actually really like the figure. The colors just work, the remolded head is good looking, and he's still pretty tight. The only slightly wonky thing is the slingshot being bright blue.

TF Prime Kup:
It's Kup. Do I need a better reason? The mold is pretty solid and in a fit of making people happy his guns have hollow bottoms with cut outs in them to fit his lower arm kibble so he won't be aiming off in a random direction. My only real gripes are the way his hood hangs off his back and how the bed of the pick-up is hollow, but seeing as he's going to be living in robot mode...
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

I wandered in to a local discount chain store(Dollar General, where hardly anything is a dollar) and found the Universe versions of the Generations Legends Class Optimus Prime and Starscream.
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
another tf fan

Post by another tf fan »

Managed to snag a Hasbro MP10 this morning...

Yep.
Come on and wind me up.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Some recent additions:

RiD Super mode Prowl - cheap replacement for my original whom had split tyres straight out of the pack.

Prime Dead End - where all the money for paint applications over the last two years for Transformers has gone

And from mighty home bargains:

- DOTM Darksteel - lovely colourful repaint of the sideswipe mould with a new head, works surprisingly well as a new character.

- DOTM Topsin Autobot Armour - black, grey and electric blue repaint of DOTM Topspin. Looks very nice in the simple two tone colourscheme. Not sure about the red highlights in robot mode, but a good use of the deathly dull grey plastic Hasbro is fond of these days.
Rack 'n Ruin

Post by Rack 'n Ruin »

I just got everyone's favourite gun fondling battle stat, RTS Perceptor. He is currently looking all chrome-y and awesome holding Generations Blurr's sniper rifle. :)

Many thanks to Knightdramon for digging out a picture of RTS Percy holding G1 Percy's gun. I may now try to pick one up as an alternative weapon. If anyone is looking to sell one, please let me know. :up:
Wreck and Rule!
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

I hit a flea market today and came back with Beast Wars Razorclaw. Like most BW Basics he's a mess of ball joints, and like most of them he's small enough that that's all you need to make him fun. He's made using the Scorponok template, more or less, with his crab claws becoming his robot mode hands. In a nice touch, the two claws are different sizes from each other (as in many real-life crustaceans) and each one has a different gimmick built in: the smaller one opens to reveal a pistol and the larger one has a series of blades that you can swing out by pressing on a little tab. The colours might be a bit much, but on a little guy like him they work -- even the semitransparent blue looks good, and I'm usually not a fan of see-through plastics on Transformers. The only real problem is that with one huge claw and one small one, he's very, very side-heavy (is that even a word?).

He came with Airazor and Armordillo, both missing parts. I didn't really want either of these since I had better versions of them already, but they were being sold as a set and I would've paid the $10 for just Razorclaw. I was hoping to steal Airazor's shoulder pads for my VHS Airazor, but the colours are just too different. Maybe I'll paint them to match, if I feel energetic enough. For now, I'll just toss them into the box of stuff I keep for my sister's kids to play with when they visit.
Paul053

Post by Paul053 »

Bought all 6 mini figure blind packs since my local TRU has them buy one get one free sale. I really don't like Waspinator, maybe it's the all green color scheme that does it.
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Post by Cyberstrike nTo »

I just bought the following:
Transformers: Generations-Fall of Cybertron Optimus Prime
Transformers: Generations-Fall of Cybertron Jazz
Transformers: Generations-Falll of Cybertron Shockwave

And I'm still waiting for BBTS to send me:
Transformers: United Wreck-Gar
Transformers: United Windcharger & Wipeout 2-pack
Transformers: Generations Sky Shadow
Transformers: Generatiosn Junkheap
Please visit Outlaw Colony my new message board it's a fun site for fun people.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

I got a...new Transformer? Wow, it's been a while since that happened...

Generations Shockwave got here today. I bought him online because he was (unlike his casemates) practically flying off the shelves here until recently. He was a very rare sight in stores...up until I ordered him, then the wave hit saturation and there are apparently Shockwaves everywhere. I shipped him with a bunch of non-TF stuff that I ordered, though, so if nothing else I saved a few bucks.

I love his alt-mode. It's basically a flying gun, like in G1, except not quite so literal about it. It definitely looks good, and has more of a Cybertronian flare to it than the so-very-80s toy space gun. I can't think of any other WFC-style alt-modes that actually look good, let alone improve on the original, so that was a pleasant surprise.

Robot mode is quite good looking too, and has a lot of articulation. I'm not a huge fan of his new weapon design, though I do like that it can be carried as a rifle or attached as a replacement for either hand. All in all he's quite a bit of fun, and unlike most of the video-game designs he genuinely looks like the character he's meant to be.

Size is the main issue, though, and the one that everyone's talked about. The packaging in particular seems like it was deliberately designed to make him look as puny as possible -- his long, lanky legs are completely hidden behind a cardboard insert, his arm cannon (which adds a lot of bulk) is detached and he's off-center inside a bubble that's too big for him on a card that's too big for it. He's also got the same V-shaped waist as WFC Megatron, further adding to his puny look. Then to top it all off he's a bit of a pinhead. All of that added together made me literally do a double-take when I first looked at his package. Once I opened him up and put him together with some other toys, though, some of that faded. His legs are very thin but have quite a bit of mass to them going front to back (like the original Shockwave). They're very long, too, so he's probably a little bit taller than the average Generations Deluxe (but below average mass). My Marvel comics bias means that tall and slender is how I like my Shockwave, so I think he looks good. But I also like my Shockwave significantly taller than most of his fellow Decepticons, and a Deluxe was never going to provide that even before Hasbro started tightening the materials budget.

In a perfect world they would have turned this design into a small Voyager instead, but what we got is alright. He's not the definitive Classics Shockwave I've been hoping for since the original line first kicked off, but I like him.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

I don't understand why the FoC toys come on such massive backer cards. They're easily four times bigger than the actual toy. I picked up FoC Shockwave and noted the same as above in Warcry's post, although I'm not toally sold on the Cybertronian flying gun thing. It looks like a cannon barrel to me. I bet its one of those designs that looks better in the game than in plastic.

In other Shockwave news, I picked up his DOTM counterpart for a reasonable £13 from Home Bargains (a strange source of Transformers toys - most stuff seems to be Johnny-come-lately stock shipments for wider retail distribution that's missed its time in the sun, but oddly most stuff is on US cards. The DOTM line really must have tanked, it's the third showing this year for the line in ex-chain store HB and unlike previous Transformers lines, really seems to be struggling to shift. Scalpers are clearly after Darksteel though - the shelves are clearly picked through in all four of my local stores and that's the one toy that's always noticable by its absence...).

i picked up Shockwave having rewatched DOTM whilst recovering from an epic hangover (one of those ones where you have to sit very still for a long time as movement may cause dizziness and vomiting) and he's kind of weird. He looks more like a Spawn toy than a Transformer, has huge tree trunk legs and feet and an alt mode that's a big bunch of arse, although there were are clearly hints that it could have been something half decent instead of what we actually ended up with. Shame that.:p
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Just got Generations Cliffjumper, to replace my Classics Red Bumblebee. So far I like him a lot, and I think he will fit in well with my Classics collection. The transformation is interesting and not too complex; the only real problems I have are the cheap-feeling plastic and the way his arms articulate. It seems like there should be another swivel joint in there somewhere.

While at the store I also saw Swerve (uninterested in the toy as well as the figure) and Springer. Springer looks cool, but I don't know if I can get over the obvious Classics-head-on-a-movie-toy-body look. The torso and arms aren't bad, it's just the feet give it all away. Maybe if I wasn't strapped for cash I would have picked up him or FoC Shockwave too.
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

Right, last time was a G1 binge... today it's Beast Wars. Through the couple of weeks or so I've got a bunch of Beast Wars Predacons plus Beast Machines Geckobot thrown in.

So, I own a BW Telemocha Motorarm for some reason, and for quite some time now. Motorarm by himself is a very, very sub-par toy, but the clincher is that he's supposed to combine with DJ and Gimlet to turn into Tripledacus. Of course, being Japanese, they are racist Mexican stereotypes who's entire characters could be boiled down as assholes who spend their time shaking maracas.

But this guy, he was selling Cicadacon and Sea Clamp... but no Ramhorn (Motorarm's US counterpart). It's like the funny gods of toys are giving me a sign to complete my Beast Wars combiner... there's a catch, though -- I have to buy Geckobot along with the two. Oh well, why the hell not? They were cheap, and I can now pretend Motorarm is Ramhorn the sneaky Tripredacus council and have myself a gestalt. Yay!

Cicadacon is the most gorgeous toy in both robot and bug mode. He's rather stout and compact for a deluxe class toy, but his robot mode is highly articulated, plus he comes with two swords. He's got a nice way of dealing with the ever-annoying bug legs, and looks pretty imposing. And those dirty 'butterfly' (cicada, whatever) wings adds to the deadly cunning swordsman aura.

Sea Clamp is, on contrast, very large for a deluxe class toy. He's not so much large as long -- in lobster mode, he's easily twice the length of Cicadacon! In robot mode he's pretty impressive as well, with these gangly lobster claws... which open up to reveal smaller claws inside! Kickass. I love these BW toys. He exudes a Scorponok-esque aura, but I don't mind him.

Tripredacus is a monster that is far more impressive in the flesh than in pictures. Between the mishmash of the insect parts, actual articulation, those ridiculously awesome claw hands and those giant butterfly (cicada) wings on his back, that lobster-tail backpack... and he is articulate. Yep, this is probably one of the best combiners out there.

Geckobot has an absolutely messy and plain robot mode, but I ended up loving his beast mode... it looks like a weird-looking dragon, and he is actually pretty awesome-looking in beast mode. I'm not transforming him out.

I also got myself one of the toys I've always wanted -- Retrax the roly-poly bug, who got packed alongside Powerpinch. I knew Retrax's robot mode is suckish, and like Geckobot, he's never leaving beast mode... but look at that pillbug alternate mode. Look at it. It's so cute and adorable. And it's got a spring-loaded 'ball mode' gimmickry.

Powerpinch is an average toy... love the orange, and both the beast mode and robot mode are pretty cool.

Here's a picture of the lot, plus Motorarm, as well as Springer and Jet Vehicon from the last batch who I didn't take a picture of last time. Springer is a bit messy colour-wise, and is really a wee bit too boxy for Springer. Jet Vehicon is a gorgeous, gorgeous toy, even though his jet mode isn't show-accurate at all.

And then here's a picture of Tripredacus, using Motorarm in place of Ramhorn.
Attachments
IMG_6767.JPG
IMG_6761.JPG
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Managed to get Generations Springer and FoC Shockwave with some birthday money.

Shockwave is stunning. Like Blackjack's review says, he won't wow you, but damn he looks good, the light piping works great for his cyclops eye, and that purple color is just fantastic. Toy-wise he's just average, but it's Shockwave dammit! He's a little on the small side, but he will do a great job replacing my Energon Shockblast (stupid giant green arm and crippled other arm).

Springer is pretty fantastic too. I really dig the bright green they used, the head mold is awesome, and he's got a good weapon payload. The legs still bug me a bit since they're too movie-esque for my tastes, but his upper body more than makes up for it. And he's a whole lot better than the Cybertron Evac repaint I currently have.
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

Agree with you on Springer, he is far, far superior than the Evac redeco. I don't mind the movieverse legs, I mind the green used on them! The dark green would normally look great everywhere else, but it causes Springer to look quite a bit overcolourful, especially when the main, correct, green is the limey one.

Personally I think the Tomahawk mould is straight-up too skinny or spindly for it to work for Springer, and it seems too much like someone else with Springer's head slapped on it...
Thunderwave
Protoform

Post by Thunderwave »

Only three recent buys:

TRU Import Laserbeak: I got him, I think, because I'm a sucker for the Skystalker mold and the colors aren't terrible on him. Robot mode is...meh. Not bad, but not Laserbeak-y. The vehicle mode, however, looks like an pretty decent rendition of him given the recent term Soundwave has served as a recon vehicle of some sort.

TRU Import Brawl: While not really that much like Brawl (not a tank!) he is still a pretty sweet version of the Breacher mold, so I figured what the hell. Plus he was $9, so double win.

TFPrime Rumble: I thought he looked pretty sweet in the promo pics. Then I went through the hassle of tracking him down (f%$king scalper) and saw the blue he was. It's a paler blue then I was expecting and I almost passed on him. almost. However I bought him anyways and now I love him. His colors are nice, the yellow isn't too overbearing, and the red accents look great. The only thing I wish is that they used a brighter grey on his face so you can see it from a distance. Other then that, he looks like a bruiser. Now can someone tell me WHY the most interesting, visually, TF Prime toys so far are non-show Decepticons?
numbat

Post by numbat »

Thunderwave wrote: TFPrime Rumble: I thought he looked pretty sweet in the promo pics. Then I went through the hassle of tracking him down (f%$king scalper) and saw the blue he was. It's a paler blue then I was expecting and I almost passed on him. almost. However I bought him anyways and now I love him. His colors are nice, the yellow isn't too overbearing, and the red accents look great. The only thing I wish is that they used a brighter grey on his face so you can see it from a distance. Other then that, he looks like a bruiser. Now can someone tell me WHY the most interesting, visually, TF Prime toys so far are non-show Decepticons?
Saw RID Prime Deluxe Rumble in Tesco at Inverness of all places last week, and almost bought him. But at £14 quid, with cheap looking jet black piledrivers (no paint applications unlike stock photos), and that blue... I passed in the end. Is he worth it for the transformation if I ever happen to see him again?

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Check out my new sale thread now!

Also items on eBay.
numbat

Post by numbat »

Guess I'll answer my own question now...

Sainsbury's have all Transformers figures reduced by 1/3, so I picked up RID Deluxe Rumble and Kup for only a couple quid more than it would have cost to buy just Rumble in that Tesco at Inverness.

Hoping they're worth the reduced price!

Won't get a chance to open them for a day or two. Off to speak at a conference tomorrow...

Oh - and they also had RID Prime Voyager Bulkheads and Starscreams. Was tempted by Starscream, and thankful I bought the First Edition Voyager Bulkhead - the RID one looks terrible by comparison.

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Check out my new sale thread now!

Also items on eBay.
Thunderwave
Protoform

Post by Thunderwave »

numbat wrote:Saw RID Prime Deluxe Rumble in Tesco at Inverness of all places last week, and almost bought him. But at £14 quid, with cheap looking jet black piledrivers (no paint applications unlike stock photos), and that blue... I passed in the end. Is he worth it for the transformation if I ever happen to see him again?
The transformation is pretty fun actually. Everything pegs in nicely without being too tight, even the clips. The joints are VERY tight. I had to take it slow in spots so I didn't shear any of them off. I wasn't put off by the piledrivers. I was planning on getting the Reprolabel set for him anyways when I put my next order in, and there are stickers in that to add the blue onto them. What they don't show anywhere is that the piledrivers are, in fact, set up for a right and a left hand. The pegs are off center so when he's holding them they cover his hands and lower arms. Also the pegs are longer then necessary for that gimmick so you can peg them into his vehicle mode as Gatling cannon-ish things, or onto the backs of his shoulders in robot mode to store them, which actually looks decent and unobtrusive.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Warcry wrote:Generations Shockwave got here today.

Robot mode is quite good looking too, and has a lot of articulation. I'm not a huge fan of his new weapon design, though I do like that it can be carried as a rifle or attached as a replacement for either hand.
It took me a while to place it, but he's actually carrying around the BFG from the Doom movie.