POST YOUR NEWEST ACQUISITIONS!

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
numbat

Post by numbat »

(All this reminds me - I got Cybertron Primus at a good price when he was released because someone listed him for sale on eBay as 'Pirmus with Unicorn head'. :LOL:)

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Check out my new sale thread now!

Also items on eBay.
Paul053

Post by Paul053 »

About Vector Prime, this mold is fine. Jet mode isn't really that much but robot mode is fine. I have the Hasbro version but beware of his sword. It is as wiggly as ROTF Bludgeon's katana. The missile is also pretty easy trigger loose. I just store it separately.

Are we comparing how cheap we got our Primus? :) I got mine in perfect condition with only 8 bucks. No accessories but I totally don't mind.
numbat

Post by numbat »

You win Paul053!

:)

I was really just reminiscing - how funny it was to see Primus listed as Pirmus with bonus Unicorn head...

:lol:

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Also items on eBay.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Beast Wars Neo Sharp Edge Vs Hard Head
Sharp Edge is a retool of Cybershark...only much prettier. He's an icthyosaur (i think) and he's gorgeous. Nice marine colours used on the beast mode, and a mix of them an a deep red/ crimson with some silvers in robot mode. Beautiful. Hard Head is a purple dinosaur with a big plate of bone in his head whose name escapes me at the moment. Its a Dinobot retool and the purple and turquoise is just ridiculous, but I love it. Neat and tidy deluxe toys, very impressed. Shame about the pointlessly large box though.

Commemorative Series I Optimus Prime
From the days when it was incredible to see reissues of childhood favourites. Been on the look out for a cheapish G1 Prime as although I do like my Takara New Year Special version, the blue eyes and windscreen just didn't sit right with me. So I got this fella and he's much more what I wanted from a reissue. Despite the frnakly baffling revisions made to the toy to fit with modern safety standards. Roller doesn't launch (booooo! miserable toy safety f**kers - how do Hot Wheels getaway with this then?!), there's stupid long missiles for the command deck (which actually look pretty awesome) and then, most perplexingly of all, Optimus' stumpy smoke stacks. Just what possible danger to life and limb would these have represented? Just what? Explain it to me Hasbro, because I haven't a f**king clue. Makes me wonder how I survived childhood having such apparently 'deadly' toys in my possession. I do like that roller is actually still navy blue and has just been painted silver for this release, rather than being moulded in grey plastic. The trailer is also a solid grey, compared to the silver of the original. So should withstand my usual clumsiness, then. Best of all, cheery yellow eyes. Aww, its good to have you back, Optimus. I missed you.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Found a FOC Grimlock yesterday. Dino mode could be better, but it slips into the role of Classics Grimlock more capably than the actual Classics Grimlock WHICH CAME OUT SIX YEARS AGO WHY IS TIME ACCELERATING!!?

Still, it's irrelevant given the existence of Masterpiece Grimlock which, to be fair, makes most things irrelevant.

Also, gimpy Superion!

Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Clay wrote:Found a FOC Grimlock yesterday. Dino mode could be better, but it slips into the role of Classics Grimlock more capably than the actual Classics Grimlock WHICH CAME OUT SIX YEARS AGO WHY IS TIME ACCELERATING!!?
Closer to seven years ago, probably. Classics was in 2006. :(

While I appreciate the size advantage he's got over the Classics toy (which as Pretender Grimlock homage is about the right size), honestly the first thing I thought when I saw your picture was "I don't remember Energon Grimlock being that big". And that's not a positive memory to evoke, in my opinion.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Also looking at your third party Superion makes me sad that Hasbro can't do gestalts like this anymore. FoC Bruticus just looks even more embarrassing by comparrison. There's something wrong when knock off merchants are turning out better Transformers product than the company responsible for them...
Thunderwave
Protoform

Post by Thunderwave »

Skyquake87 wrote:Also looking at your third party Superion makes me sad that Hasbro can't do gestalts like this anymore. FoC Bruticus just looks even more embarrassing by comparrison. There's something wrong when knock off merchants are turning out better Transformers product than the company responsible for them...
Hasbro never did combiners like that. Also as a parent I'd hesitate to dish out $50 a limb for a combiner for my child, let alone the $100 those ones are going for. The third party market targets collectors because they'll blow that kind of money on themselves.

And there is nothing wrong with it. Hasbro isn't going -just- for the collectors. They are a toy company making toys for kids. They occasionally throw the collectors something special (like Darkmount), but it's mostly about the youngin's. I think because the third party people target and sell to collectors is the only reason they haven't been shut down.
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

Don't really like how Superion is shaping up at the moment. I mean it's got a very basic palette of colours but still they appear to clash with each other.

Are the limbs [at least the two of them] interchangeable or do they only function as leg\arm?

I've made the decision and slowly, slowly building up a takara FOC Bruticus. Onslaught is my first figure coming and I'm bracing myself for disappointment.
Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
numbat

Post by numbat »

Knightdramon wrote:I've made the decision and slowly, slowly building up a takara FOC Bruticus. Onslaught is my first figure coming and I'm bracing myself for disappointment.
Dude, you will be disappointed with FOC Onslaught. He's probably the worst 'stand alone' FOC Combaticon figure. (Brawl is a close second.)

However... The combined result is awesome, and the compromises totally acceptable, but I think you'd need them all in hand to appreciate that. Vortex and Blast Off are easily the best stand alone FOC Combaticon moulds.

Also items on eBay.
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

With the many back and forth situations with the seller, I think I won't be building a Bruticus after all, heh. Or maybe yes, who knows yet?

For someone who hasn't touched a single of them, Swindle looks to be the best, in that he's RID Knockout-ish, but I've been wrong before. I have an infatuation with Vortex and Swindle though, their levels definitely brought a mediocre game to good status, if only briefly...
Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

A few new Generations toys showed up here for the first time in recent memory -- the FoC Decepticon data discs to be precise. I picked up the Ratbat/Frenzy two-pack on a lark because...well, because I never need a reason to own another toy of Ratbat.

Ratbat's cool. He's cute in beast mode, and is a good homage to everyone's favourite Decepticon accountant (I was amused by his toy bio, which implies he spent the WFC/FoC era messing up the Autobot economy with Ponzi schemes, multi-level marketing and the like...). He's got a lot of articulation, but his spring-loaded auto-transform means that none of those joints are actually poseable -- they just spring back to their default location as soon as you let go. Still, it's a nice little toy and a good rendition of Ratbat's tiny original body (before War Within made a humanoid Ratbat popular).

Frenzy -- Is it Frenzy? It's the red one, anyway. Hasbro finally seems to have settled on the cartoon colour scheme for the guys. Well, either way. He's horrible. Ratbat looks the part, and they did a good job of getting a bat out of the thick disc that Soundwave's minions transform into now. But That Red One doesn't look anything like the G1 guy, and his robot mode is horrible. Poseability is restricted to arms that move up and down at the shoulder, and both limbs are unnaturally curved because of the alt-mode. He doesn't have any of the Decepticon cassette tapes' prominent physical features (tape spools in the chest, "stickers" on the legs or guns behind the shoulders) either, so the only way you'd know he's meant to be Frenzy is the name on the package. The only thing he's got going for him is that unlike Ratbat, his automorph actually works. But he's easily the weakest Legends-class toy I own.

Overall I guess it's a wash. Ratbat's neat but Frenzy's really bad. And to make matters worse, they repainted the terrible humanoid data disc mold four times and included one in each of the two-packs.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Thunderwave wrote:Hasbro never did combiners like that. Also as a parent I'd hesitate to dish out $50 a limb for a combiner for my child, let alone the $100 those ones are going for. The third party market targets collectors because they'll blow that kind of money on themselves.

And there is nothing wrong with it. Hasbro isn't going -just- for the collectors. They are a toy company making toys for kids. They occasionally throw the collectors something special (like Darkmount), but it's mostly about the youngin's. I think because the third party people target and sell to collectors is the only reason they haven't been shut down.
Oh no, I get all the hasbro make toys for kids stuff and all that blah. But its hard to believe the terrible piece of flimsy nonsense that is FoC Bruticus is from the same company that brought us the likes of Rail Racer, Landfill, Tripredacus and Magnaboss. The decline in engineering and quality since those products came out is shocking. I wouldn't expect a parent to pay the $50 - $100 for a third party high collectible of dubious manufacturing origin, but neither would i expect them to fork out $10 - $15 on a toy that's no better than a dime store knock off.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Thunderwave wrote:Hasbro never did combiners like that. Also as a parent I'd hesitate to dish out $50 a limb for a combiner for my child, let alone the $100 those ones are going for. The third party market targets collectors because they'll blow that kind of money on themselves.
Part of it is that all the third party stuff comes from much smaller production runs. That's because they appeal to a much smaller customer base, which coincidentally have enough money to afford them despite of the small numbers produced, so it works out.

As is frequently posited, would you rather have six-to-ten deluxe figures or a voyager-sized limb of a giant combiner? In my case... I'd actually rather work toward the giant combiner.
I think the bigger reason is that most third party groups are based out of China, which is known for not enforcing intellectual copyright. Hasbro could certainly make it a pain in the rear to import said items, but ultimately wouldn't accomplish much.
Knightdramon wrote:Don't really like how Superion is shaping up at the moment. I mean it's got a very basic palette of colours but still they appear to clash with each other.

Are the limbs [at least the two of them] interchangeable or do they only function as leg\arm?
They are definitely prejudiced toward one limb or the other, but they can scramble, yes.
wolfbolt86
Protoform

Post by wolfbolt86 »

Just picked up Grimlock. He is ok, but his chest is hollow. The rex mode is not the best. The Classics verison has a better rex mode and I say their about tied with the the bot mode.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Although I've already got one, I picked up a loose and minty G1 Prowl reissue for £8. I'm so weird owning multiples of some characters.

I saw those FoC Cybertron data disks of Ravage/ Frenzy, Ratbat / Rumble. Sh*t the bed, they are f**king awful. And here in the UK, they retail for £13.99 - $21.21 USD - which is ridiculous. Hasbro, you can do one.

Oh, and them Kre-O Micro Change thingies I mentioned in a different thread, which are embarrasingly better than the FoC data disk guys by about 1000 light years, and cost pish all in comparrison and are waaaay more fun.

Clearly, something is very wrong with action figures right now.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

I was so shocked that you can now specify which toy you want from the Argos catalogue (only for Voyagers but hey, baby steps...) like it's the 21st century or something I went and got myself a Prime Ultra Magnus.

The Wiki page somewhat mocks him for just being an upscaled version of the Cyberverse figure, but perhaps because I'm a clumsy bugger who struggled with the FE Deluxe Prime and Megs I appreciated this.

The truck mode does suit the typical current portrayal of Magnus... which is functional but dull. The robot mode however is actually pretty neat, and I love the facial expression on him.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Kungfu Dinobot

Post by Kungfu Dinobot »

inflatable dalek wrote:The truck mode does suit the typical current portrayal of Magnus... which is functional but dull. The robot mode however is actually pretty neat, and I love the facial expression on him.

The truck mode may be dull, but I think it's cute.
The Big Ragebowski

Post by The Big Ragebowski »

MP14 Rumble and Ravage!!! Kerching!!! Maximum awesomeness!
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Bunch of Kre-On Micro Changers

Bludgeon, Blast Off, Hook, Inferno, Insecticon, Springer, Dirge, Singe and Rampage and they all so cute :)