POST YOUR NEWEST ACQUISITIONS!

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Terome

Post by Terome »

Seacons arrived today and, as it felt like a good time for it, I opened them right up this evening. Tons of goofy fun. He looms nicely over the recent Beast Hunters Abominus guys.

This is my first reissue so was taken aback at the different plastics and wonky QC but honestly at the price I got it I don't mind a jot.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Warcry wrote:In usual Takara style the big launchers do exist, but only if you order the toy from Amazon Japan and you only get one per figure. Considering the toy (as I understand it anyway) only comes with it's rifle, that seems like a huge dick move to me.
Yeh, it is pretty bad (and doesn't compare well with the way Bandai do things). But it's not enough to sink the figure - it'd probably not be a bother if they hadn't made toy launchers at all. TBH having the figure I'm leaning towards "whatever Takara need to do to keep the line going".
About the only plus for him is that it's animation model Bluestreak and not original toy Bluestreak, so he's at least got a bit of colour to liven up what would otherwise be a pretty dull figure. But Bluestreak usually winds up being the forgotten, kinda boring member of the trio no matter what version you're talking about, just because Prowl and Smokescreen have so much more going on than him deco-wise.
While he is my #3 Datsun I've still always liked Bluestreak. Good profile even if it was largely ignored by fiction - good enough for me.
glazios

3rd-Party Haulage

Post by glazios »

Hey guys. Been a long time since I posted here last.

Attended the London MCM Expo back at the end of October, and picked up a good haul there, including;
  • Generations Sandstorm
  • Generations Blitzwing
  • Fansproject CA-04 Stormbomb/Not-Bombshell
  • Fansproject CA-10 T-Bone/Not-Wildrider
  • Fansproject CA-11 Down Force/Not-Drag Strip
  • Fansproject CA-12 Last Chance/Not-Dead End
Blitzwing and Sandstorm cost me a pretty penny or two more than shelf price I think, but that's conventions for you, and imo it was worth it, as the time/effort it takes for me to save up for the convention means that it's my only chance to really pick up any of the figures that I want over the course of a year, except for the period between Christmas and February, when I have some money to spend due to the holidays and my birthday. Being a convention, and coupled with the fact that not many vendors who have a brick-and-mortar shop tend to stock 3rd-Party figures, it's always a bit of a gamble to hope that someone at Expo will be offering the figures I'm looking for. That said, AllTheCoolStufff tends to be a pretty reliable presence at Expo for TFs and Joe-related stuff among other brands, and that's where I bought most of it, all in one go; the only exception would be Stormbomb, which I picked up at a smaller vendor, whose name I can't remember but also carried CA-05 Backfiery/Not-Kickback; unfortunately I missed out on that, as by the time I got around to heading back that way, my spending fund was starting to run dry and I needed the cash for other things.

Speaking of which, if anyone's got a CA-09 Car Crash they're looking to offload or might be willing to part with, I'd be interested in taking it off their hands post-Christmas, to complete the set of released figures before XF-03 Diesel/Not-Motormaster gets released. I'm looking for one around the £40 mark, but having paid £50 MISB for each of the Not-Stunticons I have, I'd be willing to stretch to that, so long as the figure is complete and in good condition with box. I'd prefer to buy from within the UK, and I'd be willing to negotiate when it comes to postage cost and method. If anyone's interested, or knows someone who might be, please feel free to drop me a PM.
Attachments
IMGP1202.jpg
Addl
Protoform

Post by Addl »

Found a small shop with some robot stuff and bought MP01 Convoy "LastShot" and MP06 Skywarp
[sigpic][/sigpic] :clap: Isch bin dabbei! :up:
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

MP Bluestreak arrived today. Colours overall are a tad dark and the launchers really should have been red, but I'm nit-picking there. Good QC, good mould.

Regarding Reprolabels and the detailing I'm torn. I love the stickering on the Diaclone cars, all those foil circuits and the like, but I'm not so sure it'd fit more modern toys and I like the crisp, clear look of the MPs. It helps that there's a relative lack of unsightly screw holes on both moulds thus far.
The Reverend

Post by The Reverend »

Yeah, I'm iffy about it too. For Prowl I'm sorely tempted to go with at least some of the labels just to break up the white. With Bluestreak I'm not missing the detail as much.
Sunrunner
Protoform

Post by Sunrunner »

My most eagerly anticipated parcel of the year finally arrived today - MP's 12, 17, 18 & 19 :-)
Already got Red Alert so I knew what to expect from Sideswipe. The Datsun moulds are new to me, so I've spent most of this evening fiddling with them. As expected they are gorgeous to look at, Prowl in particular, I can see where some of the criticism of the transformation comes from though. Getting the chest to click into place took more force than I was comfortable with, Smokescreen being the worse of the 3 for this.
Overall though very pleased with the latest additions to my masterpiece collection. I just hope Takara don't screw the line up anytime soon!
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Beast Wars II Max B - a rather fearsome cyber-beast (ooh)

Beast Wars Neo - Cohrada Vs Saberback (there's only one way to settle this - fiiiight)
The Reverend

Post by The Reverend »

Well, I also noticed that the "Before & After" missile launcher kits for the Datsuns include sticker sheets as well, so you can add some of the extra detail to the bots if you like.
The Reverend

Post by The Reverend »

Well, since both of us work tomorrow, I got the Xovergen Trailerforce set (Powermaster Optimus/Super Ginrai for Classics/G1 Prime).

I'll write a full review at a later date. I haven't transformed it yet, as it came packaged in robot mode and that's what I was interested in. I did fit my Classics Prime into it and was quite pleased - it really does look good. The red paint is almost a straight match, the painted details are great, and the articulation is a lot better designed than I'd expected.
The only major issue with it is that it has hinges midway along the feet so the toes can be folded up for transformation. The problem with that is that those joints don't support the large robot mode's weight that well and the bastard wants to fall forward or backwards while you're manipulating other parts. It appears the solution is to spread the legs a bit in robot mode to distribute the weight better - don't worry, I don't mean Ramones stances. When he's got his heels together he does want to fall over.
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

Received MP Smokescreen in the mail on the last possible day I could before leaving for the UK.

I wanted to take Prowl with me, but god no. Smokescreen is TOO good a toy.

Car mode had me speechless. Literally EVERY surface on the car body is painted in one or more layers. Like, literally. The entire car body is moulded in gray [like the insides of his rear legs] then painted over in gloss red, blue, bright white and then it has the tampographs on.

The other MP cars were painted on the exterior as well, but not to this extent.

Head sculpt is F*CK awesome. Launchers are kind of wobbly on mine, stay a tad lopsided, but still look the part. I'm loving the retro look.

Joints are exceptionally stiff. Every Datsun release has progressively stiffer joints than the previous. The opposite is true with my lamborghinis, as Red Alert was much looser than Sideswipe.

Gun appears to be a completely new mould from the one included with Prowl.

F*ck it man, this is how retools should be.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA+ from me, and a reserved seat on the plane to the UK instead of Prowl ;)
Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
Tramp
Protoform

Post by Tramp »

I finally snagged TFP Abominus, along with Generations Hoist and Springer. Sweet figures all around.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

I found 3/5 of the TF Prime Abominus: Blight, Windrazor and Twinstrike on discount at a K-Mart on Christmas Eve, now I just have to find the other two at a good price.
Destruction is my specialty
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

Wandered into the local Big Lots to get some odds and ends and wandered back to check the toy section out. Wasn't expecting much, figuring that if they had any thing at all, it would be whatever knock offs they usually have, because all the good stuff would have been grabbed up for Christmas.

Much to my surprise, I found the Thrilling 30 Generations Cyberverse Targetmasters. Well, most of them. I picked up the last Optimus Prime they had and one of the 2 remaining Megatrons. They had plenty of Starscreams, so I figured I'd wait to get him.

Optimus Prime with Roller(can't bring myself to call him Autobot Roller, just sounds stupid): From the advance pictures I'd seen, I didn't like the look of him. Mainly it centered around the body design, but having finally seen it up close, I like it. It's almost perfect. It looks like whoever designed it drew inspiration from the Movie, Prime, and G1 designs. And then production did their best to follow the design, but fumbled in one area. The chest opens up in robot mode to reveal the Autobot emblem. If the pieces folded out enough to show the emblem and then locked, it'd be fine. They don't, sadly, which makes posing his arms kind of tricky. Roller..... has a few problems. Mainly due to basicaly being a cross between a Minicon and an Action Master weapon partner. And the resulting combined weapon gives Op a gun big enough to blow one of Cybertron's satellites out of orbit.

Megatron with Chop Shop: Again a great design(I like him better than the deluxe Thrilling 30 Megatron), well designed tank mode, but again a few problems. I've got him in robot mode right now, and Chop Shop is on his left arm. Chop Shop looks more menacing as a weapon than the fusion cannon. It's the down side to using the main gun from his tank mode to represent the cannon. Although if you flip it up , it looks like he's holding a rifle in his hand. Chop Shop comes out of being the Targetmaster partner a little better than Roller does. His combined weapon mode plugs onto the front of Megatron's tank mode, and looks like the silliest cowcatcher ever created. Or you can have him be Megatron's dwarfish lackey, or just plug him in as the "Hedgeclippers of DOOM!". If you leave Chop Shop on, Megatron can pretend to be Ash from Evil Dead.

And if Hasbro wants to use Hedgeclippers of DOOM, I'm open to any and all offers.
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

Surprise express package delivery on Saturday...[extremely rare in Greece]

MP 16 Buzzsaw and Frenzy: YAY. Thanks to a very out of the blue gift from sister and brother in law, I have a complete set of Soundwave and all cassettes from the japanese MP line. Only had enough time to fiddle with them once, sadly. Frenzy [the blue one] is much tighter than the Rumble I have. Buzzsaw is extremely tighter than Laserbeak, if I hadn't any experience with the mould I'd DEFINITELY break the tailfins. Beak and eyes have a bit of weak paint on them, but that's just natural from painting yellow over black either way.

Again, YAY. MP10 to MP19, complete collection.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Even as cool as Soundwave is, the tapes are the best part of him, aren't they? :)

Today I stopped into a Walmart in a different part of the city, which happened to be adjacent to the only theatre still showing The Hobbit in 2D. The TF aisle was the usual post-Christmas desolation, except for the Legion pegs, which had multiple complete sets of Terrorcons and on sale to boot! I picked up Blight, Windrazor and Rippersnapper to complete my set, and am quite pleased with them. The five of them together are a nice team of tiny monsters, perfect for menacing towns of Lego people, and all of the "limb" toys are way better than the originals in just about every way. Abominus is pretty awful, but he's a combiner so of course he is. And honestly, in spite of his tiny size he works better than almost any other combiner I own.
HotShot81
Protoform

Post by HotShot81 »

I just got my hands on Generations Platinum Predaking! Price: $94, via Amazon.ca
Given how a local guy wanted $167, TRU wanted $145, Wal-Mart wanted $135. I think I got a great deal on him.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Knightdramon wrote:Surprise express package delivery on Saturday...[extremely rare in Greece]

MP 16 Buzzsaw and Frenzy: YAY. Thanks to a very out of the blue gift from sister and brother in law, I have a complete set of Soundwave and all cassettes from the japanese MP line.
Warcry wrote:Even as cool as Soundwave is, the tapes are the best part of him, aren't they? :)
Definitely an ensemble thing. I know there's a KFC mould but still surprised the Ratbat doesn't seem to have been bootlegged yet.
The Reverend

Post by The Reverend »

I'm still reeeeally tempted to get a MP Bluestreak for some reason, even though I have MP Prowl already. Sigh.
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

Ratbat isn't out yet, hence why he's not KO yet.

Streak is great. The toy is a REAL looker in car mode.

It seems that the only line to escape the "datsun" curse is Binaltech.

Usually Prowl is the first to come out and most sought after because of the character, but the toy is usually bland, WHITE all over and usually, because he's the first, the build quality is lesser than the other 2.

Streak nails the colours perfectly in car mode and is generally much tighter than Prowl.

Smokescreen is the most unique of the 3, generally gets the very best deco, and is released last.

If the fund allow it, I'd personally recommend all 3 datsun MP cars.