POST YOUR NEWEST ACQUISITIONS!

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Addl
Protoform

Post by Addl »

As i am moving back home in 2 weeks, i did my last shopping trip to my transformer.heaven.

Masterpieces Soundwave, Streak, and Smokescreen

Thirdparty Make Toys Dagger Interspace Army Commando ( ultra magnus)

Tf united Bruticus with third party addon modifications

More united / generation
Octane, hotrod, ultra magnus, black prime, warpath, sea spay, tracks, jazz, drift, scourge, straxus, sunstreaker, wheeljack, blitzwing, skyshadow,
Attachments
CAM00564.jpg
[sigpic][/sigpic] :clap: Isch bin dabbei! :up:
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

After having had to wait an extra 2 days(winter can't just destroy my power steering pump, oh no. Now it's messing with my stuff) thanks to a snowstorm, my package from BBTS arrived.

Masterpiece G2 Sideswipe - I've been a bit hesitant to get new Sideswipe figures, to be honest. When Classics 2.0 hit, I gladly got Sunstreaker, but when Sideswipe came along, my reaction was "M'eh". The G1 Sideswipe, to me, looked better than his Classics counterpart, mainly because I like the physical differences between Sideswipe and Sunstreaker. Ostensibly the same car, but radically different robot modes. One built on blocky lines, one built on spindly.

Then Takara announces they're going to do a Masterpiece Sideswipe. Again, while the pics looked cool, my reaction wasn't to run out and buy one. From some of what I read, there were a few Q.C. issues with the first run, and while the second run was much better, both runs were terribly expensive. Couple that with not being fond of the face sculpt, and I had decided to go the K.O. route for him. Better face sculpt, cheaper, and if they screw up the pile drivers, who cares? I'm not going to display him with them deployed. The down side being that what I save in figure cost I'll spend in postage.

When the inevitable Sideswipe redecos hit - Red Alert, Tiger Track, whatever else they've done - my reaction was still the same. M'eh.

Then they announced the G2 version, which surprisingly didn't sell out exceedingly fast. Now this is a version of Sideswipe I can get behind. Spiky tires on the shoulders, big guns, a broadsword, and a great Yanniger-esque sneer. A small chunk of my tax refund later, and here he is.

I've got him standing next to Sunstreaker right now, and they're both pretty much in scale with each other. And again, the contrast is great.
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Heinrad wrote:Then they announced the G2 version, which surprisingly didn't sell out exceedingly fast. Now this is a version of Sideswipe I can get behind. Spiky tires on the shoulders, big guns, a broadsword, and a great Yanniger-esque sneer. A small chunk of my tax refund later, and here he is.
Lucky guy! It'll be a good long while before mine arrives, I think.

I got a BBTS package of my own today. No MP Sideswipes for me, but Generations Rhinox and Whirl were there.

Rhinox is the best of the new Beast Wars toys that they've done, and really it's not even close. Waspinator and (Henkei) Dinobot were okay and Cheetor was garbage, but this? This is a genuinely good toy, maybe even verging on great. A great design that hearkens back to the on-screen design without being slavish (mostly by way of adding a lot of molded detail that the -- let's be honest -- primitive 90s CGI model lacked), with a great head sculpt, good articulation, cool accessories and a fairly slick beast mode. I can't quite call it awesome though, because transformation to beast mode is very much reliant on clicking bunches of panels together and it gives me flashbacks to some of the worst ROTF toys. Rhinox isn't that bad, but first time around his transformation was very frustrating.

Whirl's an interesting toy, I'll definitely give him that. He has the chest and arms of the original toy, copied almost verbatim save for added joints, the head of the IDW design and legs that don't really match either one. The end result is actually quite cool, with a nice look, great articulation and a metric ****tonne of accessories. Considering how odd and out-of-place Whirl's design has always been amongst Transformers, this won't be for everyone, but if you're a Whirl fan this is a really neat amalgamation of both of his recognizable designs. Unfortunately, amongst all this awesome is one really obvious, near-fatal flaw: Whirl's double-knee joint. The two joints are connected by a thin spar of black plastic and the upper of the two joints is incredibly tight, so much so that I suspect it won't be long until a great many Whirls wind up broken at the knee. So if you get one that's as tight as mine, be very careful with it! Rumour has it it's a very common problem with the guy.

I might knock out the pins that hold the joints together and gently sand things down to make the joint move more smoothly, though honestly he looks fine if you just pretend the problem joint doesn't exist so I might not even bother. Not a shining moment for Hasbro's testing department, though. That should have been caught and corrected before the figure made it into production.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Generasians Powerdive - minor retool of the HFTD Highbrow toy. As a G2 homage this would have worked better with...G2 Faction symbols. Shame that. Otherwise, he's a bonkers looking jet with a cluttered, but impressive, robot mode.

Universe Overkill - holy crap, have Deluxes really shrunk that much since 2006?! He's massive! Bordering on modern Voyager scale. Bloody hell.

Anyway, been after this guy for a while, but as some silly limited edition, cheap loose figures are hard to come by, but I finally found one. Hated this mould when it was passed off as Grimlock, but it works like a treat for Overkill. Nicer paint work and a simple , but effective, choice of four colours (white, blue, silver and yellow| highlights) really brings out the best in the mould. Robot mode legs are still a bit of a mess though.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Skyquake87 wrote:Universe Overkill - holy crap, have Deluxes really shrunk that much since 2006?! He's massive! Bordering on modern Voyager scale. Bloody hell.
I don't think he's quite that big, but if memory serves he was the biggest Classics Deluxe. Astrotrain might be about the same size, but even back then he made Hot Rod, Mirage, Bumblebee, Starscream and the Prime/Megs two-pack look practically tiny. But compared to some modern Deluxes the size difference is just silly.
Skyquake87 wrote:Hated this mould when it was passed off as Grimlock, but it works like a treat for Overkill.
Hey now! It wasn't passed off as anything, it's a fantastic updating of the Grimlock toy I had as a kid. You can certainly question the wisdom of updating Pretender Grimlock in the first place -- even I'm not sure why they did it, and I loved the simple old thing when I was a kid -- but it's not like they just pulled the design out of thin air.
HotShot81
Protoform

Post by HotShot81 »

I just got Deluxe sized, Transformers Prime Beast Hunters Starscream, and I have one word to describe him. UGLY!
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Warcry wrote:I don't think he's quite that big, but if memory serves he was the biggest Classics Deluxe. Astrotrain might be about the same size, but even back then he made Hot Rod, Mirage, Bumblebee, Starscream and the Prime/Megs two-pack look practically tiny. But compared to some modern Deluxes the size difference is just silly.

Hey now! It wasn't passed off as anything, it's a fantastic updating of the Grimlock toy I had as a kid. You can certainly question the wisdom of updating Pretender Grimlock in the first place -- even I'm not sure why they did it, and I loved the simple old thing when I was a kid -- but it's not like they just pulled the design out of thin air.
Compared to Powerdive that I got the same day, he is nearly as big in alt mode. The robot mode is a head smaller than the same in robot mode. Of course, Overkill is quite a bulky chap which is perhaps what counts in is favour, but even so the way things have shrunk is quite surprising.

Personal taste I suppose, but I felt this thing was a bit too messy in robot mode and a bit too raptor-y in beast mode to be Grimlock. Not helped by the crappy paint job Hasbro gave him. Even the Henkei is pretty horrid with its chrome randomly slapped about. Overkill is just so much nice in my eyes.
Thunderwave
Protoform

Post by Thunderwave »

Skyquake87 wrote: Universe Overkill - holy crap, have Deluxes really shrunk that much since 2006?! He's massive! Bordering on modern Voyager scale. Bloody hell.
Yes and no. While I don't have some of the original Classics molds, the ones I do have are about on par with more modern toys. Classics Prowl might be a little taller then some of the other deluxes, but he's pretty gangly. Hot Rod looks like a stunty runt next to Blurr and Kup. Starscream isn't appreciably taller then the IDW Megatron that was just released. The Optimus Prime and Megatron from the Classics two pack are tiny little things.

What Hot Rod and Starscream do have is bulk, which works well for Starscream and not so much for Hot Rod. I don't think it's so much an issue with height, necessarily, but one of bulk and proportions.
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

I was always amused with Animated Deluxe Lockdown, who's actually taller than Animated Voyager Lugnut.

I'm actually a really big fan of the Lockdown molds, both Animated and Movieverse. I really liked the character, too, and am a little sad that we haven't seen him since Animated. (At least not in anything I've seen.)
Clay

Post by Clay »

Notabot wrote:I was always amused with Animated Deluxe Lockdown, who's actually taller than Animated Voyager Lugnut.
To be fair, Lugnut is much heavier. If they got into a fight, he could sit on Lockdown and that'd be that.
I'm actually a really big fan of the Lockdown molds, both Animated and Movieverse. I really liked the character, too, and am a little sad that we haven't seen him since Animated. (At least not in anything I've seen.)
Supposedly Lockdown features prominently in the upcoming movie, but we've seen how little a name use can relate to a movie character before. Still, it's a hope.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Got Masterpiece G2 Sideswipe today. First version of the Lamborghini mold for me. This is how you do a mold re-use. Not just simply changing the colors, but adding the additional bits and pieces to really sell it. Haven't put stickers on yet, though... still debating.
StoneCold Skywarp
Custom Title: Best Served Chilled

Post by StoneCold Skywarp »

Clay wrote:Got Masterpiece G2 Sideswipe today. First version of the Lamborghini mold for me. This is how you do a mold re-use. Not just simply changing the colors, but adding the additional bits and pieces to really sell it. Haven't put stickers on yet, though... still debating.
it's not G2 without neon green stickers!! ;)
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

Clay wrote:Got Masterpiece G2 Sideswipe today. First version of the Lamborghini mold for me. This is how you do a mold re-use. Not just simply changing the colors, but adding the additional bits and pieces to really sell it. Haven't put stickers on yet, though... still debating.
I decided to go with the G2 comic look. Just one G2 Autobot emblem.
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

Neat ;)

Actually, no lamborghini release has been identical to the previous one.

Sideswipe is the first.
Red Alert had retooled body and car parts, plus a new face
Tigertrack looks like a yellow sideswipe but actually has red alert's face
G2 Sideswipe has another face and accessories ;)
Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
Addl
Protoform

Post by Addl »

Picked up transformers hybrid style black convoy yesterday and today will get mp thindercracker.

Dont know yet how to get this in hand luggage.... we already have 4 suitcases and a baby with accessories...
[sigpic][/sigpic] :clap: Isch bin dabbei! :up:
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Picked up Generations Cosmos today, and I'm very, very impressed! He reminds me a lot of Beast Wars basics actually, a very simple design and transformation that relies a lot on ball joints. But he's simple in all the right ways, and good fun to mess around with. On first blush I think he might actually be the nicest Transformer I've picked up so far this year (not that there's a huge amount of competition so far).
Sades

Post by Sades »

Warcry wrote:Generations Cosmos
How do I not have this yet? Damn. And I just came from a small collectibles show today. I'm going to have to pick this up.

Got Hound some Targetmasters today- Crosshairs/Pinpointer and a loner Cyclonus cause he had to work and I'm awesome like that. Also picked up some blindpacked Kre-O figs- got Scourge, Huffer, Thrust, Nosecone, Blight. I guess I'm collecting Kre-O now. :p
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Onslaught ... with metal chest! Ooh!

Now I have a G1 Bruticus. Yay!

...to go with all my other versions of this mould, because one is never enough.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Sades wrote:Also picked up some blindpacked Kre-O figs- got Scourge, Huffer, Thrust, Nosecone, Blight. I guess I'm collecting Kre-O now. :p
As I was just saying to someone else, I think Hasbro had tried to do the "small, collectable, and cute" niche before with the PVC and Robot Heroes, but the Kreons are the first attempt to really seemed to gel. For me, anyway.
Skyquake87 wrote:Onslaught ... with metal chest! Ooh!

Now I have a G1 Bruticus. Yay!
Are all five metal?
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

No, just Onslaught. Metal chested Combaticons seem extremely rare, which is odd. They must have had a fair old production run. Even with just Onslaught being METAL \,,/ Bruticus feels much more solid and more ,well, brutal :)