POST YOUR NEWEST ACQUISITIONS!

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Maketoys Hellfire is gigantic! I expected a toy an inch or so taller than the MP cars, but no, he's the size of Soundwave or Shockwave. But in hand, I'd say that size is about right.

The alt-mode is basically a pile of flimsily disguised arms and legs, so pretty much like the original. Maketoys made some token efforts to cover that up, but considering the source material there's only so much you can do. I find it difficult to get the rear end to tab together, but the alt-mode is so perfunctory that I can't bring myself to care too much.

I love the robot mode, though. It's huge and chunky, as it should be considering the character. The articulation is solid, though the shoulders are hampered a little bit by a design that doesn't divert very far from the original. That's the charm though, at least for me. There's not very much of the 'toon model going on here at all. It's heavily toy inspired, and it's really impressive just how far they were able to run with that. He looks like he should be an 80s brick, so the fact that he's not, at all, is what catches my eye the most.

Like all the third-party figures I've handled, there are a few minor flaws that call out "this isn't an official product and didn't receive professional quality testing", but nothing serious. The shoulder ratchets are way tighter than they need to be, though not so tight that it feels like I'll break anything. The one-piece crotch flap, however, is breakable and I've heard of more than one person snapping theirs because they weren't careful enough. And finally, his little wings pop off more easily than they should. There's nothing that I'd consider a deal-breaker, but enough that you can tell it was designed as a shelf piece first and a toy second.

But if you've ever wanted a Masterpiece-quality homage to the original Diaclone toys, this is as close to perfect as you're going to get. Inferno is probably the best character they could have picked to do it with. Would I want all of my Transformers to look like this? Definitely not. But it looks like that's the goal that Maketoys set for themselves, and damned it they didn't hit a home run. It's not going to fit in on a shelf with Takara's new, super-cartoony MPs, but that doesn't mean that it's a bad figure. I'd like to think that anyone who appreciates the original toys for what they are (as opposed to who they are, if you get my drift) would find a lot to like about this take on Inferno.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

TR Apeface
I like this little guy! Objectively, Warcry's review is spot on - the Ape mode desperately needed some articulation and like all these Titan Masters, the value for money just isn't there - but he's kept me entertained on my desk at work and I've enjoyed having Spasma ride around on the ape's back. The jet mode is fine, but it's a bit of shame that you can't sit the robot in the jet securely. Overall, decent and one of the better Titan Masters.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

TR Ominus & Sky Shadow - One of only two at my local Myer (been like that for a while) and used a giftcard to knock off $20. The first of the IDW Phase sixers in my collection.
Destruction is my specialty
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

If anyone's wondering about the NBK versions of whichever 3P Constructicons they are --

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/threads/g ... f.1095836/
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222509698994 etc

-- got a couple and the quality's really good, certainly worth the much-less-than-official-deluxe-figures price tag for detailed voyagers, puts the CW ones to shame.
Warcry wrote:if you've ever wanted a Masterpiece-quality homage to the original Diaclone toys
Mmm, I like the design much better than the MP although it's a bit too big to display with most of what I've got so he's just got Sunsurge for company. Tempted to add a Smokescreen.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Wow. The 3P market being knocked off is the funniest thing I think I've ever seen.

Anyway, my latest purchase has been

Fox Kids Beast Wars Transmetal Rhinox
This is actually pretty nice in hand. The blue is more of a lilac shade. The greeny/gold chrome is a bit of a jarring mix (why not purple, or blue?), butit's not too horrible. The robot mode with, its splattering of red paint over the face and chest, looks a lot more angry than the standard version, feels oddly back heavy on this release and I think it's because the figure uses a similar mix of plastic to the G2 Dinobots. It feels a lot lighter and less dense than the regular retail release, and this seems to translate to him being unable to support the weight of those rear legs/ treads in robot mode.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

My son gave me Titans Return Brawn and "Roadburn" for Father's Day! Which is to say that I spotted them in the store the day before and my wife insisted on buying them and wrapping them up for me.

Both of them are pretty good for Legends-class figures. From how it looked in the package I expected the new Bee mold to work almost identically Classics Bumblebee, so I was surprised to see it was actually a bit more complex. Getting it tarted up as Chase is pretty cool, though in the finest Throttlebot tradition he's got Freeway's face and they didn't give him his proper name even though they've definitely got Chase trademarked thanks to Rescue Bots. The upper arms are a little awkward but considering that his only previous toy didn't even really have arms I don't think he'll complain too much.

Brawn's a fairly average little figure. I like it but nothing much stands out about it either way. Quite possibly because my little boy stole both of them to vroom around in car mode before I had a chance to do much with them.
Clay

Post by Clay »

I had the Unite Warriors Computron set show up a week or so ago after a month-long journey. Don't choose economy shipping for items from Japan: it took a detour with a minimum of one extra ocean.

I don't base figure buying on what I had thirty years ago, but I did with this set. I had the full set of Technobots for my birthday back in 1987, and I remember it very fondly. They were so futuristic, like little versions of sci-fi magazine and paperback covers in my hands. Granted, they weren't actually that great... Afterburner broke into pieces in fairly short order, Lightspeed and Strafe lost their heads to the combiner ports, and Nosecone and Scattershot... well, those two are actually still intact and around here somewhere. I really liked them is what I'm trying to say. They mean more than the just the figures themselves by representing a kind of 1980s futurism to me. Quantron does this too (and moreso than unite warriors set), but I couldn't not get the official set.

I didn't pay much attention when either the Hasbro or Takara sets came out, and have been playing a bit of catch-up over the past few months. I got the Takara set because I thought the Strafe looked much better, and I liked that they made new weapons for the whole set that look like the weapons for the G1 figures. Now, having the Takara set in hand and looking at pictures of the Hasbro set, HOLY SHOES does the Hasbro set look lazy by comparison. That Nosecone! It's just Brawl backwards!

Anyway, I'm pretty happy with the Takara set. Strafe is really well done and doesn't have the same QC problems as Blastoff (the head stays on and the legs stay together). He's probably my favorite Technobot and combiner wars mold overall. It's a shame that he's only available in an import box set. Nosecone is nice too, but drill tanks just don't hold a candle to starfigthers. Overall, I like the simplicity of the figures despite the compromises that demands. I think Quantron looks more impressive standing on the shelf, but the Unite Warriors set is definitely more fun to play with. Both are then keepers for different reasons.

tl;dr technobots is my jams.
Tantrum
Custom Title: Systems Analyst

Post by Tantrum »

TR Perceptor - Basically a smaller version of the G1 figure with better articulation. The scope has lenses in it, and a focus knob, but I can't get anything in the tray to actually be in focus. You can plug the sniper rifle into the back of the microscope. Using that as a foot rest, and the scpe edges as handrests, you can balance the TM so he's looking down the lens.

While at a Target, I started talking to a fellow TF fan, who let me know about a store (Toy Vault) in the mall across the street that sold old/2nd hand TFs. They had a pretty good selection, and I bought Beast Machines Jetstorm and Energon Arcee MOSC for about what two new deluxes would retail for.

I bought Arcee for an addition to my biker chick shelf, which is mostly other Arcees and their repaints. It's odd that she has hinged elbows, with ball-and-socket hands pieces to hide her palms in bike mode. It seems like she could've just had ball and socket elbows with her palms on the inside. Still a nice figure, even if she is too small to hold her weapon well.

I like Jetstorm's flight-bot mode. I've used all my flight stands, but had a few grippers and a rod left over. The holes in the rod are the same size as the holes you sometimes see in Mega Blocks tiles, so I was able to cobble together a workable stand.
Alleged "poems"
that don't follow a rhyme scheme
are not poetry
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Fox Kids Beast Wars Transmetal Airazor
As with Rhinox, much nicer in hand. The cosmetic changes compared to the original are pretty minimal, but done well. Essentially, the red of the original is replaced with yellow and the white is replaced with a nice powder blue. Add in some gold and she looks pretty swish. The robot mode is perhaps a bit bland, done up in just yellow, but she's nice enough.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

The Last Knight Barricade - Big W is having it's annual 'Big Toy Sale' where I layby'd TR Trypticon and bought Barricade, as a tie-in to watching the movie that I don't know if I like or not.
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

TR Scourge: Another in the 'Nope, I'm not gonna get him' line, because once I figured out the wing unfolding on Generations Scourge, I liked him a lot better. But the more I looked at RTS Cyclonus, looking all toon accurate, I figured TR Scourge would go next to him better. And he does. On the up side, he can also hold Generations Scourge's gun, so he's not stuck using a chair for a weapon.
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
HotShot81
Protoform

Post by HotShot81 »

Got my hands on Crashbang for $4.00 CND! :D

While I never really wanted him, at $4.00 he was a steal, which make sense he is a Decepitcon!
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

TR Brawn: Finally, the local Walmart got some new figures in. Well, okay, one. Several copies, but one. Brawn. I have to say, he looks pretty good. His vehicle mode looks odd in the box art, but he's a very solid minibot. Now I just have to hope they make Outback.
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

I found a TR Gnaw! I don't think it's a very good Transformer at all. The robot mode is kind of useless, with the weird half-curl molded into the arms and feet that are as big as his entire torso. But the beast mode is so damn cute that I can't hate it, even though I doubt I'll ever transform it much, or even use it for anything but a cute decoration.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Scoured the bins of ebay for three figures I sold, bought, sold and now wish I hadn't, so bought them again, now that they can all be found for cheap following TR and CW and MP updates...

Classics Bumblebee
Still the best update to 'bee after 11 years. Has aged incredibly well and I like how cheery and chubby he looks without looking out of proportion. And I like the flight pack jet ski thing too.

Classics Hot Rod
Rodimus, Hot Rodmius, whatever... it's Hot Rod and I love this mould so much! It's a bit blocky and serious looking in robot mode, and he can't make as much use of the ariticulation as I'd like, but I just can't help but like this guy. The alt mode is marvelous and the transformation is nice. I've been pondering on the TR figure, but I just don't like it, so went for this.

Classics Mirage
Having bought the CW version, I was reminded how much I liked this Classics version. It's very stylized and funky looking, and probably not what most people are looking for from a modern Mirage, but I like it. I just like how...fast he looks in both modes. Good stuff. Did fall foul of getting suckered by a bootleg along the way though, as ebay's just lousy with fakes and I wasn't paying attention.

The Entertainer have knocked down a load of RID stuff - now's the time to buy Minicons, if you're interested.

Picked up Warrior Class Bumblebee - he's a really great figure! The plastics are really nice, transformation is good. Simple, but not buggered up with Automorphing like the Prime version and I love the wedge shaped alt-mode. Brilliant. Nice He-Man type sword too :)

Mini-Con Lord Doomitron
He's angry purple-faced fatty that turns into a big face claw. With snot green armour. What's not to like?

I did like that there are two Mini-Cons called 'Back' and 'Forth'. That amused me more than it should (didn't pick them up though).

Does anyone know if those Deployer things are actually any good?
electro girl

Post by electro girl »

Picked up the new Barricade and Broadside on offer from TRU today along with TR Brawn. Barricade doesn't really feel like it's 10 years better than the first one, not in all areas anyway.

Broadside is a whole heap of fun though, despite one pretty dreadful alt mode. Boat mode is very swooshable and I've caught myself, at 26 years of age, swooshing it back and forth like a spaceship even though it's an aircraft carrier and even though his other mode is an aerial one.
-------------------------
A Chinese cartoon where the robots turn into blingwads!
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Post by Cyberstrike nTo »

TR Roadburn and Fangry

Roadburn is an OK figure Legends class figure (I don't have a lot of TR Legends class) and Fangry is pretty cool little Titan Master. I wished Hasbro hadn't put the extra head figure with this one just a cool flying wolf, dragon, and gun figure would have been enough.
Please visit Outlaw Colony my new message board it's a fun site for fun people.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Freezeout and Autobot Topspin

Convex & Perceptor

Both at Big W, but on different days.
Thunderwave
Protoform

Post by Thunderwave »

TR Shuffler and Repugnus

Found these two little guys hanging out at the local TRU and decided to take them home.

Repugnus is a pretty neat adaptation of his beast mode, although the other modes are meh at best. I kind of like having the daft little bugger sitting on my desk.

Shuffler, however, was worth the cost imho. He's a pretty adorable little mammoth that turns into a tank, and his weapon mode isn't half bad either. Plus he's a purple Autobot. I have a soft spot for him.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Repugnus also looks quite sharp if you paint the claws/hooks/horns, it's a shame the official paint apps didn't stretch to one more colour.