POST YOUR NEWEST ACQUISITIONS!

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Tantrum
Custom Title: Systems Analyst

Post by Tantrum »

PotP Skullgrin, Metalhawk, and Cloudburst. I know they're refered to by the names of their Primes, but I don't care enough to learn those. One thing I didn't know before buying is that the shells don't have faces. Instead, there's a gap letting the Master's face inside show through. Skullgrin's eyesockets and nose hole are also actual holes, but aren't big enough to let you see inside.

The shells are fun. Each has a hand held weapon that attaches to its body so the shell can form a weapon for a larger bot. The connections are a bit tight, though, and I worry that a peg will snap during attachment or removal.

The little guys inside are OK if you don't have enough Titanmasters to populate your larger TR figures, but the Primemaster gimmick is pretty poor. The matrix mode can plug into the shell-weapon mode, but looks very awkward. The matrix sticks up too high compared to the front of the weapon, and the rear of the weapon is even lower so the matrix has room to slide on. It looks pretty bad.

I tried plugging a matrix into Slag's chest armor/gestalt hand. Like with the shell weapon, the matrix stuck too far out to look good. It didn't stay in very well, either.

I'm not a fan of these new hands. The 5mm hole is in the thumb, off center, so it'll look off when holding a weapon. They're multicolored, which looks bad. Usually, it's just a clear/off color panel that covers the Master hole, but Dreadwind has this awful fingerless glove look. They can attach to the Deluxes, but without cannons or engine detail, they don't look like they belong there.

I'm not looking forward to the feet, either. They look quite a bit thicker than HFGs, which means the PotP gestalts will be noticably taller than the CW ones. Plus, I like the gestalts to look like they're made of their components as much as possible, not made of add-ons. The HFGs being suitable accessories for their Deluxes helps with this. I know some people bought 3P hands and feet for their CW combiners. I'll have to see if any of them are selling their HFGs.

PotP Slash, Beachcomber, and Windcharger. I was mainly looking forward to Beachcomber, since you can actually see when he has a T/PMaster riding in him. So, I put one in. Now I'm already bored of him. Right out of the packaging, he had some paint missing that my blue Gundam marker didn't quite match, but I don't know that I care enough to exchange him.

Armada Smokescreen (sans minicon) and Movie Longarm loose, but in good shape, from a comic shop. Smokescreen is OK; Longarm is very nice, though I still haven't figured out how to arrange his light bar in truck mode. Buying a new (to me) figure from 10 years ago alongside these new figures really shows the cost-cutting that's occured in that time. He's bigger than these newer Deluxes, rolls better, has better paint QC. I didn't expect the figure who's kind of in a live action movie to impress me more than the nostalgia line.
Alleged "poems"
that don't follow a rhyme scheme
are not poetry
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Generation 2 Silverbolt
Bought for a fiver off ebay, loose and complete. The accessories all have a really odd amount of playwear compared to the main figure, which make me think this has been put together from different lots, but either way, Silverbolt isn't nearly as horrible as I thought in his G2 get up. The worst you can say about him is that his colours are a bit boring, being mostly blue and luminous red. Nice that he retains his die-cast, but odd that Onslaught didn't.

Titans Return Seaspray & Cosmos
Seaspray is pretty good, except for having nowhere for his head to go in alt-mode (its hidden by a silly flap that folds up) and not being as good as Cybertron Shortround, which this figure borrows a lot from. Cosmos is cool, but as with Scrounge, I don't like that the robot mode head rattles around in alt-mode.
Auntie Slag
Custom Title: Satisfaction guaranteed!

Post by Auntie Slag »

Ha, no way. That's awesome. I love Scrounge from the Smelting Pool saga, they've done a good job here. I'd love to see his original wheel mode, but this is a cool change-up!
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

So we did the gift exchange thing at work today, and one of my coworkers got me a couple of figures-

RiD Combiner Force Bisk: A pretty neat little Legion Class figure, and apparently a little lobster themed figure smells really good to one of my cats.....

Universe? Brake-Neck: I've got no clue where he found this one, but this repurposed Mini-con has a really nice vehicle mode. His robot mode's a bit stiff, though.
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Auntie Slag wrote:Ha, no way. That's awesome. I love Scrounge from the Smelting Pool saga, they've done a good job here. I'd love to see his original wheel mode, but this is a cool change-up!
It is, isn't it? Goes nicely with the TR Blaster.
Auntie Slag
Custom Title: Satisfaction guaranteed!

Post by Auntie Slag »

Yeah, and I was trying to link to that brilliant Graham Thompson fanfic for anyone interested. I think it was called Killshot, about Blaster and Ultra Magnus (among others), but I didn't have much luck finding it.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

TR Soundblaster & Soundwave - I was able to get this guy at Myer with 20% off, interestingly I had only recently started finding this anywhere.

TLK Sqweeks - I actually won a Transformers Collectors Club Australia Christmas raffle to get this figure.
Destruction is my specialty
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

Going to Wal-Mart two days before Christmas meant I should have taken a stick with me just to do the shopping, but I did manage to find a couple of figures-

POTP Windcharger: When I first heard about this figure, I wasn't going to get him. I like the RTS Windcharger. It's a really good figure. But I've always had a soft spot for Windcharger's original design. This isn't a Firebird, but it's close to the G1 toon version.

POTP Shrapnel: Nice little figure. All I got, really.
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

My wife and son gave me TLK Scorn for Christmas. He's goddamned fantastic. The shoulder transformation frustrates me a bit, but otherwise he's almost perfect. Big and bulky, more screen-accurate than the AOE one. Good articulation in both modes, and good balance. Lots of fun! So much better than the TR or CW Voyagers I've gotten lately.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

My son picked out TR Slugslinger for me for Christmas. Nice retool of Triggerhappy, which I already really enjoy. Nothing too special with SS, but I like him. :)
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

I grabbed TR Octane while Amazon Canada had him marked down to around $12. After opening, that's about what he's worth. The retooling from Optimus is a significant improvement, but the stickers still suck and there are serious tolerance issues: his wings just flop around, and his alt-modes don't lock together very well. Not complete trash like Optimus was, but even at 60% off I still don't think he's got much to recommend him.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Well, that's good to know I can stop looking for him then! After years of Astrotrain and Blitzwing reissues and reimaginings, I was curious about Octane, but didn't really like the Optimus version of the mould.

Anyway! I've completed my RID Dinobots with the addition of Snarl and Sludge which are very nice redecos of Beast Wars Neo's Sabreback and Snarl. So I'm very happy. These six make very nice modern counterparts to the original five Dinobots, with some good mould re-use and good paint applications. Love them. And this nicely ticks off another 'to-do' off the collecting crib-sheet.

TLK Cybertron
I saw this online as i was idly browsing the interwebs t'other day and snapped this up along with TR Trypticon (more on which later) as part of TRUs Buy One Get One Half Price Hasbro sale. It's a really nice almost G2-esque recolour of the Cybertron Primus toy, but with a much more considered colour palette. The robot that makes up the interior of Cybertron is neatly coloured in molten orange and yellow, whilst the outer chunks of planet are all done in dark and translucent blue and black, which looks really cool - like an actual planet has opened up. Given the state of modern TF figures, I was pleased to see that this retains that lovely heft of '06 era Transformers, with nice solid plastics lending some weight to the thing. The level of detail and overall look of the thing is impressive and it's tickling to see the Cybertron line continue it's association with the live action movie toyline. The box is also really nice looking, so I'll be keeping that and it comes with some odd collector cards where you can go online and decipher the Cybertronian glyphs. Interestingly, the two cards look like they should match up with another set, so I wonder if there's a Unicron repaint planned as well (or abandoned). Best of all, with the discount, this cost basically the same as a regular Movie Deluxe toy - £25. Bargain.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

TLK Drift - Probably the last of the movie figures that I can buy locally, with the rest that I want I'd have to buy online.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Titans Return Trypticon
I was happy enough with the Platinum reissue of the original, but I did like the idea of having a version of the character that doesn't need batteries to play with. He's certainly a big one and towers over my cats. The sculpt and design is excellent and he feels sturdy and solid. And too me, certainly a lot less wibbly than Metroplex and Fort Max look. He's pretty simplistic in terms of transformation, the base mode is the best and fun to play houses with smaller figures. The space cruiser isn't very convincing, with it's anemic wings, and a bit of an afterthought. Generally, he's great fun as a big gobby robot dinosaur. Less fun are the 200 tiny stickers which are fiddly, small and poorly cut. I really hated putting these on, but can't deny they do add something. No idea why they thought putting stickers over the eyes (which are trans orange plastic) would be a good idea, so I left those off.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Realised I've missed a few over the last month, so to recap!:

Titans Return Seaspray:

Hoping he'd teach me his slick moves with the ladies (it seems, based on his accessory, bring them pizza) this is a fun little thing that perfectly captures his chubby little wierdo charms.

TR Missfire: Think this works better than Triggerhappy, mainly because the colours are more fun and I think the wings hide the folded over legs better in plane mode. Must get a Slugslinger now.

POTP Slash: Again, a fun silly little toy that finally adds the key dinosaur that has joined the Famous Ones since the Dinobots were first created.

Third Party Knock Off Galvatron: A smaller reworking of a larger 3P Galvy (See how they like it!) it's very simple and the cannon barely qualifies as such, but the robot mode is nice and fun and probably the closest someone has come to making a good looking Galvatron in all the attempts to create a new one.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Tetsuro
Protoform
Custom Title: Poe Dameron did nothing wrong

Post by Tetsuro »

inflatable dalek wrote:Third Party Knock Off Galvatron: A smaller reworking of a larger 3P Galvy (See how they like it!) it's very simple and the cannon barely qualifies as such, but the robot mode is nice and fun and probably the closest someone has come to making a good looking Galvatron in all the attempts to create a new one.
Which 3P Galvy is it a knockoff of tho?
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

POTP Beachcomber arrived today. Like Ganon a few weeks back, I'm baffled by why so much of him is black plastic painted grey. But otherwise I think he's a really nice little figure. The robot mode is stocky but it has nice articulation. The transformation is simple and fast, and the dune buggy alt mode makes for one of the nicer Titan Master compatible mini-vehicles.

He looks great alongside the recent Seaspray, Powerglide and Cosmos figures as well. The four of them fit together nicely even though Hasbro spread them out across four different lines with four different gimmicks. It really makes me wish for a decent Warpath in the same scale, even though I still adore the Generations Deluxe from a few years ago.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Power Of The Primes Legends have started to show up at my local Entertainer, so I picked up...

POTP Beachcomber
I finally have a Beachcomber! I really like this figure, save for the gaping hole at the back in vehicle mode. Good, fun quick transformation and a nice sculpt and design, even if I personally miss the toy's faceplate.

POTP Slash
Nice G1-homaging new Dinobot character (heresy!) which has some really nice piant apps and plastic choices. I especially like the smoked plastic sections which mimic those sort of panels on the original Dinobt toys. Robot mode isn't all curves, which is nice and it's good that Hasbro have (with this figure at least) moved away from making all Female Transformers curvy and with high heels.

POTP Skrapnel
Bought to round out the new versions of the Insecticons I've ended up with. It's a shame that the three of these all vary slightly in shades of purple and yellow so don't quite have the uniformity of the originals, but they're each enormous fun and a nice update.

I also picked up three Titan Masters before these disappear from shelves; Loudmouth, Skytread and Nightbeat. All three are fun little Kinder toys, good for fiddling about with. I still baulked at paying £6.97 each for these as they really don't feel good value for money.

And finally, courtesy of ebay, Animorphs Rachel/ Lion w/ Evil Yeerk

What a bizarre figure this is. Love it! It's interesting for not only the silly mid-morph design, which gives Rachel a feline face in human form (which you can flip to reveal her human face, but sadly this doesn't lock in place), but also for what she transforms into. A male Lion. So some nice gender fluidity on the go there, twenty years before that was 'cool' :P . The only thing I can't say I like, are the 'gloves' that cover the human hands. It would have been nice if the paws could have just folded out of the way. Transformation is pretty standard Beast Wars fare, but works well and the beast mode proportions are decent. The pack in Yeerk is an amusing gummy looking slug. It doesn't do anything, but is a nice extra to have thrown in.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

TR Apeface.

TR Repugnus.

Unless I find Ramhorn somewhere, these are the only two Titan Masters I had much interest in.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Following my Target's stocking of the PotP Deluxes and Legends, I found PotP Grimlock and Starscream sitting on the shelf. Picked up both of them, even though I figured I could let Starscream sit for a while (I get the feeling Grimlock will be the faster selling one, but couldn't help myself). Haven't opened either as of yet, but they both look pretty good... at least to me.

Starscream seems to suffer from elephantitis in the forearms and calves, but otherwise his colors are sharp. The stickers look crappy though. I've been wanting a Voyager sized Classic-styled SS for a long time, so on that front I am happy - it will also be neat to have a combiner with a Starscream torso, just for fun :) . I've seen a couple reviews though, that don't paint such a nice picture, so I'll keep my enthusiasm guarded for now.

Grimlock also looks pretty good in package, at least in robot mode. I'm fully prepared for a not-so-hot T-Rex mode, as the tail looks really chunky from photos. Aside from that, having a good sized Grimlock that looks better than the FoC one will be great. You know what stinks though? NO WEAPONS!!! How in the world can a bruiser like Grimlock not come with one stinking sword or gun??? A simple red Blitzwing sword would have sufficed. Blasphemy. Looks like I will have to forage for something for him to wield. And no, the 'Prime FeetArmor' doesn't count.