POST YOUR NEWEST ACQUISITIONS!

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Tetsuro
Protoform
Custom Title: Poe Dameron did nothing wrong

Post by Tetsuro »

So there's some fella on ebay selling reproductions of G1 accessories - including Bludgeon's turret and gun, which I was missing.

What're they like? Well they sure as hell ain't ABS plastic. The turret looks fine on the outside, but the inside reveals it's garage origins. Both have a very sharp look to them, and I don't mean the sculpting. Pegging the gun into the turret in particular makes them feel rather brittle. Even though the listings for these said nothing about it, most of the guy's other stuff is apparently made of resin so I doubt these are an exception.
Tetsuro
Protoform

Post by Tetsuro »

Race Car Patrol! And unlike the Sports Car Patrol, none of these are a floppy mess. Probably because half their pins have rusted. Hmm.
Tantrum
Custom Title: Systems Analyst

Post by Tantrum »

PotP Hungrr and Elita-1 - I noticed that, with so many leaks, and pics, and discussions of leaks and pics, that buying a TF had stared to seem closer the end of my experience with a figure than the beginning. Instead of appreciating a figure for what it was, I was comparing it to the ideas I'd already formed, then becoming bored fairly quickly.

So, I stopped following news, leaks, and reviews after the first PotP pics came out. I'd seen, and discussed here, the sillohette of Hungrr, but had not seen color photos. I'm glad I waited. It was much more satisfying to see the engineering for the first time on the figure instead of a photoshoot.

That said, I will now prevent anyone reading this from having the same fresh experience by discussing both figures.

Hungrr's bot mode is a slightly more articulated version of the G1 toy. The "slightly" is due more to how articulated the G1 toy is than any flaws in the PotP version.

The flared heads on the beast mode look great, but the legs are a bit awkward. I expected the forelegs to be small, but didn't know the rear legs would have to be bent at right angles for the figure to stand. The Abominus chest under his belly is a bit unsightly, but still better than we get from jetformers.

His card reads, "Prima Hun-Gurrr: Fights famine so no being shall go hungry", which is pretty noble for a feral Decepticon.

Abominus' torso is impressive. As a reworking of Silverbolt, I was wondering how they'd deal with the chest kibble on the sides of the bot legs/beast necks. Turns out, it's gone. Instead, the beast forelegs fill out the chest. Abominus' face sculpt is too thoughtful looking to really fit the character, but looks good. I do miss the beast head knees, though.

I had some idea of what to expect from Elita-1 from Starscream reviews. Elita-1 pulls off the odd proportions better, possibly because I have little preconceived notion of what Elita-1 should look like. Her arms seem less Popeye-ish than Starscream's. Maybe having the fists and forearms different colors makes the forearms look more armored than swollen.

The lower legs are awkwardly big. It almost looks like a forced perspective trick, where if your eyes are at her foot level, her small upper body looks far away. The way they fold in on the upper legs without clamshelling open reminds me of TR Topspin, though Topspin pulls it off a bit better, since the lack of combiner ports allows his lower legs to folt together a bit to reduce the bulk.

The jet is OK. I'm not sure why they went with the Scattorshot-style open wings. The torso mode is odd, but I appreciate that they tried something different. It looks good, except for the gaps around the neck piece. Also, I'm not sure if I'm doing the legs correctly. They don't seem to latch in place at all, and I wonder if they'll hold the weight of a Deluxe over time.

The stickers look OK, but I can't see them holding up that well. They don't seem to made of very sturdy material. The stickers on my G1 Starscream look like they'll outlast these, even with the 30 year head start.
Alleged "poems"
that don't follow a rhyme scheme
are not poetry
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Energon Rodimus - I was able to finally find this guy, after a few years of searching on eBay and Facebook groups, at a fairly good price from US eBay.
Destruction is my specialty
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

To appease the local fans who are eagerly awaiting the PotP stuff, the local Wal-Mart got....

....... some RiD figures. Oddly enough, they got the one I wanted.

RiD Bludgeon- Despite having one of the stranger tank modes I've ever seen, and whoever did the card art deserves a medal for trying to keep Bludgeon from looking too scary(make a grinning, red eyed skull on toy art aimed at younger children? No problem!), I like this figure. My only real complaint is the shoulders. If I try to angle them up, they hit the spike projections on his chest plate.
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Happy with Dreadwing. Not a secure fit but looks cool. Also got Battletrap, who's fiddly and breakable enough it's a bit surprising the concept made it into the Legends line.

https://i.imgur.com/LDa4fIb.jpg

As an aside, I don't get why some people aren't keen on the two "thumbs" approach to the armour, since a) they're on ball joints and easily removed, and b) tuck in a natural way.

https://i.imgur.com/XVzByj7.jpg
Clay

Post by Clay »

Denyer wrote:As an aside, I don't get why some people aren't keen on the two "thumbs" approach to the armour, since a) they're on ball joints and easily removed, and b) tuck in a natural way.
Because, as easy as that is, complaining is still easier, duh.

Anyway, I found Sludge Saturday! I now have all five (six) dinobots, yay! Combined mode isn't bad at all, but I like them more as an ensemble. However, it is funny to leave the combiner head tucked down and use the Titanmaster Grimlock head in the trex mouth instead.

Also! I got a dragonstorm in the mail today. I really hadn't paid a lick of attention to the TLK stuff, so I only just learned of the thing's existence about a week ago. I really liked the thematic element of Steelbane changing from a dragon to a knight, so I figured a bigger dragon changing into two knights would be neat as well. And it is! The whole piece is remarkably cohesive. Granted, the dragon heads just sort of hang off the elbows of the robots, but I can't think of a ready alternative. Unfortunately, it is not made entirely out of ash and fire like on the box artwork, but them's the breaks, I guess.
Clay

Post by Clay »

I inflict this on you all.
Attachments
20180319_1602151.jpg
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

MP10B Black Convoy
oooh this is a jaw dropping bit of lovely. I really like the SG Optimus I got and was looking again at MP10B for a Twins of Evil type thing and got one! And it's great. It looks so good in hand,and so eeevil. Love the big red axe and his cold dead eyes. Transformation is still awesome and the black and silver livery is so cool. Love it :)
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Tantrum wrote:The jet is OK. I'm not sure why they went with the Scattorshot-style open wings. The torso mode is odd, but I appreciate that they tried something different. It looks good, except for the gaps around the neck piece. Also, I'm not sure if I'm doing the legs correctly. They don't seem to latch in place at all, and I wonder if they'll hold the weight of a Deluxe over time.
The legs in jet mode (on Starscream) never seem to sit together tightly. The flaps that fold down on the insides don't give enough clearance for a flush fit, and there's always a gap back there. Is Elita any better?

For the legs in torso mode, there's a tiny tab where they meet that needs to be awkwardly slid together to make it all tight. After shoving the legs down, try slipping that tab into the notch. Maybe that's what's getting you.
Denyer wrote:Happy with Dreadwing. Not a secure fit but looks cool. Also got Battletrap, who's fiddly and breakable enough it's a bit surprising the concept made it into the Legends line.
Yep, the combined mode on mine is loose too. Fun, but not very snug.
Clay wrote:I inflict this on you all.
That is awesome! Makes me wish I had 'Clobber' to do that. I also wish I still had my FoC Grimlock to steal his sword. Looks great with Volcanicus.

A week or so ago I picked up a Legion class Starscream from Family Dollar. It's the old 'Classics' type one, that was out with Optimus and Bumblebee. I can't recall which line it actually debuted with (RTS perhaps?). Nice little figure though, and surprisingly complex transformation for a tiny figure. The jet mode doesn't snap together super tight, but works just fine. For the cost, he's pretty neat, and even though he's tiny, he's got a little smirk on his face. :D
Tantrum

Post by Tantrum »

Heinrad wrote:To appease the local fans who are eagerly awaiting the PotP stuff, the local Wal-Mart got....

....... some RiD figures. Oddly enough, they got the one I wanted.

RiD Bludgeon- Despite having one of the stranger tank modes I've ever seen, and whoever did the card art deserves a medal for trying to keep Bludgeon from looking too scary(make a grinning, red eyed skull on toy art aimed at younger children? No problem!), I like this figure. My only real complaint is the shoulders. If I try to angle them up, they hit the spike projections on his chest plate.
I spent most of Saturday afternoon hitting 2 TRU, 2 Targets, 2 Walmarts, and a comic/toy shop looking for PotP the next state over, only to find Bludgeon and Thermidor instead. Sunday, I found all the PotP wave 2 Deluxes at the Walmart 5 minutes from my house. I've only opened 2 so far.

PotP Rippersnapper is very good update of the original design. I especially like how his tail folds into his lower legs to be out of the way in bot/limb mode. The dual handguns mount on the beast well, and the big hand stores on the beast's lower back. I just wish his claws folded back on his wrists so his bot arms looked more different than his beast arms.

PotP Moonracer has an overly big backpack if you follow the instructions. But, if you leave the windshield dangling behind her, it's more manageable. Her hands don't hide in bot or limb mode. I worry how well the Autobot symbol on her hood will hold up, as it ends up on the soles of her feet. I won't be standing her on any rough surfaces.

ganon - There is a slight gap between Elita's thrusters in jet mode. The top halves of the rear leg panels connect, but there's space between the lower halves. The transition fom gap to no gap has a slight taper, so this seems to be intentional.

I'll try what you said next time I put her in torso mode.
Alleged "poems"
are not poetry
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Clay wrote:I inflict this on you all.
Considerably better and more characterful than the official transformation... this one's not bad either;

https://twitter.com/chrometyranno/statu ... 6980133889

https://i.imgur.com/iCfcNLp.jpg
Tantrum

Post by Tantrum »

ganon578 wrote:For the legs in torso mode, there's a tiny tab where they meet that needs to be awkwardly slid together to make it all tight. After shoving the legs down, try slipping that tab into the notch. Maybe that's what's getting you.
That was it. Thanks.

I opened Sludge and Slag, and made Volcanicus. He's got TLK Grimlock's weapon, since sticking the handle on the side into the thumb hole make it look like V's gripping the shaft. Two Slashes fill out the torso.

I like the look of the setup Denyer posted. But, when I tried it, the shoulders were too far back.
Attachments
Volcanicus.jpg
Alleged "poems"
are not poetry
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Tantrum wrote:That was it. Thanks.

I opened Sludge and Slag, and made Volcanicus. He's got TLK Grimlock's weapon, since sticking the handle on the side into the thumb hole make it look like V's gripping the shaft. Two Slashes fill out the torso.
You're welcome :up:

That Volcanicus looks impressively beefy with the two slashes in there. I like it!
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Swung by Walgreens yesterday and found a Cyber Battalion Shockwave! Pretty impressive for what he is - not very articulate, but he does have swivel knees, and decent range in the arms. Very pretty robot mode with more paint apps that I anticipated - there's a couple different shades of metallic purple mixed with the purple plastic. The alt mode leaves a ton to be desired, as it's supposed to be a sci-fi freighter or something, but it's really just Shockwave folded in odds spots.

I don't mind the price either, as $17 seems OK for a Voyager sized figure with limited articulation - basically the price of a deluxe, but allowing you to fill a larger gap in your collection. If you know what you're in for when you purchase, there's not much to disappoint.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Dreadwind

Dinobot Slug
Dinobot Swoop

Bought these two together to save a few bucks at Myer.

Beachcomber

Actually bought Beachcomber last week I think.
Destruction is my specialty
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

The Last Night Skulliton
Jesus he's ugly. Like scraplets ate his face. Nice rust coloured paint job and I like the design and the alt mode is good fun. Structurally, he's a mess. The torso is held in place by some 'teeth' at the sides, and these don't grip together well, so his whole upper body just jiggles about in robot mode. The main axle that takes care of the transformation is incredibly loose so he just feels a bit of a mess in hand. Shame really. Is Steelbane marred with these problems..?
Hound

Post by Hound »

I got PotP Slug, Swoop, Grimlock, Slash, Rodimus Prime, Windcharger and the 3 Prime Masters in this last week which is all I wanted from wave 1 and is all that's come out so far in my part of Canada.
Tantrum

Post by Tantrum »

PotP Blackwing This is the first PotP figure I've bought that hasn't impresed me. He's CW Air Raid, heavily modified to make the combining jet mode work. But, the combining jet doesn't work all that well. It's held together by a single peg, the same size used to connect the combiner hands, so it's not very sturdy. There's large gaps where Blackwings wings don't sit flush against his body. His nose cone flips up, like the G1, but none of Dreadwind's parts flip up to meet it.

The design changes to make this work affect most of the other modes. I bot mode, the wings no longer fold back; the best you can do is rotate them, so they're not parallel to the torso. The nosecone folds out of the way differently inlimb modes, leaving gaps. I haven't played with this too much, so I'm not sure if it'll be that noticeable in a gestalt.

He suffers in QC, as well. Things don't tab together as well as on other CW/PotP jets. That goes for the new parts, as well as the old, so I don't think it's mold wear. Plus, the rubber rudders were bent right out of the package. I haven't had this problem with my Air-Raids, Sky-Dives, or Dreadwind. I've got little clamps on them now, with TP to protect the deco from being rubbed off, hoping to straighten them.
Alleged "poems"
are not poetry
Tetsuro
Protoform

Post by Tetsuro »

G1 Hot House! Complete with the fire station that turns into a tank!

I find it kind of weird that Hot House himself is a redeco of one of the Air Strike Patrol members, when there's an actual fire truck micromaster.

I really should buy some Decepticon Micromaster bases for a change. I got a whole bunch of Autobot ones and the Sports Car Patrol can loiter around Scorponok's city mode only for so long.