POST YOUR NEWEST ACQUISITIONS!

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Blitzwing

Post by Blitzwing »

I picked up MP-29 Laserwave last weekend. He's my first MP Decepticon and I think I'm in love. He is so articulated in robot mode, I can't stop coming up with cool action poses for him. I also love the way his legs transform, very clever.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

I'm still annoyed that, despite only transforming him a couple of times, my MP Shockwave's hose is already falling apart.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Blitzwing

Post by Blitzwing »

inflatable dalek wrote:I'm still annoyed that, despite only transforming him a couple of times, my MP Shockwave's hose is already falling apart.
I'll have to keep an eye on that. Is there a reason it is, like is there a certain place that causes it to stretch or something? I'll probably take it off completely and then re-attach it when I'm transforming him just to be on the safe side.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

The purple is just fraying off the length of the tube.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
HotShot81
Protoform

Post by HotShot81 »

Well looks like a new wave arrived in Ottawa, Ontario Canada!

Roll Call!

Freezeout & Autobot Topspin!
Flintlock & Sergeant Kup! Kup will keep a certain turbo rabbin young punk in line!
Covex & Perceptor.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

My Shockwave's hose is fine so far, but he also hasn't been out of the glass case I keep my MPs in since the week after bought him.
HotShot81 wrote:Freezeout & Autobot Topspin!
Flintlock & Sergeant Kup! Kup will keep a certain turbo rabbin young punk in line!
Covex & Perceptor.
Lucky! Wave 4 deluxes showed up here too, but the local collectors were on them like piranhas before I had a chance to look for any. Though usually the local retailers fill up with the current wave some time mid-April, so I don't expect I'll have all that much trouble finding them eventually. Not nearly as much as the January wave anyway, which is always a shit-show.

I did manage to find a Broadside, though! And he's easily the best of the TR Voyagers I've got so far, not that that's a high bar to clear. His robot mode is solid, with a nice, boxy aesthetic that makes the figure look a lot bigger than it actually is. The official jet mode is a joke obviously, but it takes about five seconds to fiddle it into a better one if you're so inclined, and even the stock jet looks way better if you flip the tail fins around. Carrier mode is solid too, nice and detailed, especially with the mini-Aerialbots pegged on for scale.

There's really only one significant flaw with the thing, but it's a big one. The wings, tailfins and gun are all cast out of clear blue plastic, seemingly for no reason beyond "well, we need to put something else on that sprue!". Unfortunately that means they have to slather on layers of paint to make the parts useful, at which point they've blown the paint budget and have to use those godawful foil stickers for all of the carrier-mode deco. They are -- as you'd expect if you've bought any other figures that use them -- already peeling off. So that's a pretty big minus. And the gun's clear blue plastic isn't painted at all, but I lived through Energon so I barely notice stuff like that anymore.
Blitzwing

Post by Blitzwing »

I picked up a Broadside last weekend but haven't had a chance to open him up yet. From the looks of him, I think he's going to be pretty solid, I just have to figure out which Jet mode I want to display him in since the official once doesn't seem that great.

I also picked up Krok, Topspin and Perceptor. No sign of Quake yet, but I hope to grab him soon. It's nice to have a Generations Perceptor that turns into a Microscope. Krok is a smart reuse of the Skullsmasher mold, I had the Actionmaster figure since I was a kid, never thought I'd see the day they'd make an update for him.
HotShot81
Protoform

Post by HotShot81 »

I don't know how to call this one . . .

For reasons I don't want to speak of, I got a free Transformer from a certain cooperation.:)

I got Megatron & Doomshot! I was going to get the repaint, but free is free, no?:)
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Beast Machines Longhorn

Whilst the Vehicons generally got the better deal in terms of toys during Beast Machines, you can't fault the imagination and attempt to push the Beast-era design ethos into new and imaginative areas. Though figures like Longhorn here are a glorious folly as a result, there's something enormously charming about them. Longhorn gets the beast mode right, which is brilliant, but egads, his robot mode is all over the place. I like the use of the forelegs as handheld hoof blades and the legs and arms are passable for a Basic, but oh my, the chest is a mess. The gimmick in beast mode makes the chest/ head assembly in robot mode a horrible gouged out planky mess of half a cow head and an understandably angry looking robot face. I love it for being so wonky.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

I adore Longhorn's beast mode, but the robot is a mess, you're right. Even if everything else was okay, the trans-green chest just clashes so badly that I never, ever want to transform it.

Isn't Longhorn the one where they bizarrely painted the hidden inside part of that piece, too, instead of the actual chest?
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Yes! For no good reason, the entire chest cavity swings open ... to reveal the world's most pointless paint application. Hooray!
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

I found a Titans Return Perceptor yesterday. I'm of two minds about him, honestly. In terms of design and poseability, he's pretty average compared to other TR Deluxes and doesn't really offer anything new. But he's also a working microscope, and it's hard to hate on that. The likeness is also really good, and the figure captures the robot mode of the 80s character a lot better than the Reveal the Shield figure from a few years' back, even if I'm not in love with the face sculpt.

It's a bit of a shame they didn't make him a Voyager actually, because the microscope mode is kind of impossible to use for anything at this size. And he's already a triplechanger, so the basic design wouldn't have changed any. But I suppose that would mean that a lot of his paint apps would have been replaced by stickers, and that would be too bad because he's got a surprising amount of very nicely done paint.
Tantrum
Custom Title: Systems Analyst

Post by Tantrum »

Titanmaster gimmick aside, TR Sixshot is basically the G1 figure with extra joints. Plus, the jet tailfins can fold inside the chest, so they don't get in the way of arm articulation. The downsides are minor: the legs don't peg together in tank mode, and the helmet has to sit in back of the jet mode so the TM can ride in the cockpit.

RiD Blastwave has an odd looking tank mode, but the turret rotates and the barrels angle up, which isn't true for a lot of tank bots. The barrels are mounted on a removable piece so Blastwave can wield them as a firearm in bot mode, or they can plug into the back of his head to be over the shoulder cannons. Or, you can leave them attached and have them point up Onslaught-style.

His sword can plug into either hip. He can do a two-handed grip, but just barely. He's pretty sweet, and I'll almost certainly pick up the Bludgeon repaint when it comes out.

RiD Stormshot has the same leg transformation as a CW Arialbot, but does even less to conceal the arms in jet mode. Instead, his shoulders are sculpted like intakes to make it look like they belong under the jet wings. CW Jetfire did something similar to make the shoulders look like thrusters. However, Jetfire had the round part mounted to the torso, allowing for the jet part to look solid. Stormshot has the jet part mounted to the arm, leaving a gap in the front of each intake, whick kind of ruins the effect.

The bot mode looks great, and he's got good weapons. The pistol and rifle can combine into a larger weapon. In jet mode, you can mount one weapon under each wing, one on the roof, or one under the nose. I just wish Hasbro hadn't given up on folding arms away in plane modes.

BBTS reissue Predaking is in better shape than I expected, given what I'd read. Headstong's bot legs don't hold a position all that well, so Predaking's foot droops when I pick him up. Plus, Headstrong's legs slide into his torso a bit, making him shorter. Fortunately, I remembered the little bit in the back of his ankles to stabilize the bot mode, since it wasn't mentioned in the instructions. One of Tantrums arms won't always stay folded all the way in bull mode. Still, that's much better shape than an original Predaking would be in after 25 years, so I'm pretty happy with him.

Impossible Toys Rebelor (not Thundercracker) is my first 3P figure. The instructions are missing, and getting him into tetrajet mode looks pretty trickey, so I haven't tried yet. The bot mode looks good, though.
Alleged "poems"
that don't follow a rhyme scheme
are not poetry
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

To my surprise, I found some Titan Masters at the grocery store (Kroger) this weekend... and newer ones at that!

I picked up Shuffler. Probably one of my favorite (if not #1) of the Titan Masters. The elephant mode is pretty nifty, and the Titan Master blends in right underneath his belly. The transformation parts gives him a movable trunk to boot.
The tank mode it neat as well, with the little guy riding around on the back. Haven't used him in weapon mode yet, as he's just too much fun as a little robotic elephant! The little robot face also has a trunk instead of something humanoid, like how Lione has a lion face. It's awesome!
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

I have the Masterpiece Megatron.

He's alright. Colour scheme's a bit darker than I expected. Legs are comically long. Can't quite angle the feet so he balances in the pose I want him. A bit taller than I'd have hoped, though it makes sense for him to be the tallest of the Decepticons.

His face sculpts are amazing and there's a phenomenal level of articulation in the arms and upper body. Waist/hip and leg joints are all very tight... a bit nervous about trying to hard to manipulate them.

Really quite panelly. Lines all over the place, which is a bit of a shame, but that was clear from pictures, so hey ho.

Not even going to bother transforming him, as it just seems a lot of hassle to get him into an oversized version of an accessory that I've already got with Soundwave and Skywarp.

Overall, he is acceptable.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Would you agree the design is quite Marvel UK comic-y? Seems to have enough clean lines, hard angles and detail/kibble to pull off multiple audiences.

Vaguely tempted if there's ever a KO.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Tantrum wrote:Impossible Toys Rebelor (not Thundercracker) is my first 3P figure. The instructions are missing, and getting him into tetrajet mode looks pretty trickey, so I haven't tried yet. The bot mode looks good, though.
Just be careful with the little tabs and panel bits, and the mould holds together quite well for the period -- have a look on YouTube for tetra squadron process vids.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Beast Machines Rattrap

Another 'used to own and sold it' re-buy, trying to fathom why I got rid of him in the first place, because I really like his BM toy. Arguably, his two BW toys are better, but I like that this looks more like a real rat. Colours and paint apps are great and the robot mode is good, although his arms - though well jointed - lack wrists, which gives him the awkwardness of a lot of beast-era figures with fixed hands. Looks bugger all like the CGI model, but I don't care - the design is good enough here to do the character justice. Scale is mental as ever for BM, with Rattrap being something of a hulk amongst the other Maximal toys.
Hound

Post by Hound »

Just got TR Broadside and was able to put together the photo below. Looks nice IMO...
Attachments
IMG_20170415_204812_1CS.jpg
Clay

Post by Clay »

Got the CW Masquerade wave from bbts on Friday (Mirage, Sunstreaker, Ironhide, Prowl). Got them for the explicit purpose of making some dedicated limbs for Grand Scourge, but I may have to pick up a spare Prowl. I like him just on his own. The very crisp white is nice in comparison to the dull and gunky white paint used for 2008 Prowl, even if that mold actually looks like Prowl.