POST YOUR NEWEST ACQUISITIONS!

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Notabot wrote:I just picked up Rhinox while on a road trip coming back from my parents' house for Easter vacation. I have not seen him ever in the stores, so I got a little excited. I was bummed that he was the full full price of $23, but my wife said I should get it and call it an Easter gift. I didn't argue. I saw Whirl too, but I'm not all that jazzed by him since I don't read the comics.
He is rather swish, isn't he?
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Skyquake87 wrote:Transformers Prime Beast Hunters Shockwave!

HE.IS.MEGA.

I are very happy :)
He's a fantastic figure. Even though 98% of my collection is boxed up while I redo the basement, he's one of the few that are up.
numbat

Post by numbat »

ganon578 wrote:He's a fantastic figure. Even though 98% of my collection is boxed up while I redo the basement, he's one of the few that are up.
Likewise, we've not sorted the new house since moving and there's nowhere to display Transformers other than on the desk in my spare room which I often work from - but Beast Hunters Shockwave has been a mainstay here! (RID Deluxe Vehicon and First Edition Bulkhead too - I really really really love Prime figures - so much fun!)

Have to say though he got replaced by the three DOTM Deluxe Wreckers and scrapping DOTM Deluxe Prime and TFTM Deluxe Bonecrusher today.

Of course, as many Masterpieces as I can fit on to one side are also out (Grimlock, Hasbro's version of MP-10 Prime, Bluestreak, Smokescreen, Sideswipe and Soundwave's cassettes - really should find room for Screamer and Soundwave to counterbalance all the Autobots!).

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Check out my new sale thread now!

Also items on eBay.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

MP G2 Sideswipe arrived today. Ignoring the price I wound up paying (which became extortionate after I got dinged by customs :( ) he's really good. The alt-mode looks great, and I can't believe how much robot they stuffed in there -- he's not that much bigger than the original vehicle!

The robot mode is if anything, even more impressive. Great articulation, slick looks and quite well-engineered to boot. In spite of having a lot of moving parts and small tabs, the robot is impressively solid and a heck of a lot of fun to just play around with. And while I'd expected the 90s angry face to annoy me, in person I barely notice it. He's up there with the best Voyager-sized toys in my books, and he has an elegance of design that's rarely seen at that size bracket.

He's not perfect, though. First and foremost, there are a lot of paint issues. The car-window sections have a few scratches, though they're only noticable in robot mode so it's not a big deal to me. His spiky shoulder wheels are very sloppy as well, though since I doubt I'll ever use them so again I'm not all that bothered by it. The unsightly black paint glops all over his guns, unfortunately, are a lot harder to overlook. Seeing this many QC errors on one toy, I'm not surprised that the big online stores have had to eat so many returns on this line -- if I was pickier, I'd definitely be upset.

The guns themselves are a problem too, because he can barely hold them and they tend to drop out of his hands as soon as I try to pose his arms. You'd think that after ten years of making toys with hands like this they'd have figured out how to keep them from getting the dropsies, but I guess not? And since he doesn't come with the G1 rifle and can't hold the G2 guns very well, he's really only got his sword to wave around.

Though on the other hand, he can do this...

Not only is the G2 launcher perfectly in scale with the MP but he holds it perfectly. It might have taken twenty years, but it's finally good for something!
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

On a recent trip to Wal-Mart, I unexpectedly picked up Beast Hunters Dragon Assault Leader Optimus Prime - FOR $10! Not bad considering he was $60 at one point and has been clearanced down that low. Nice toy, but he's a little on the light side for such a big figure. Overall he's good fun and you can definitely tell he was made for kids. Alt mode lacks quite a bit - it's obvious he's just Optimus folded in half.
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

Decisions suck.

The local Walmart finally gets something in that isn't more Constrct-bots or FoC Grimlock, and it was both figures that I wanted to get, Whirl and Rhinox.

Sadly, what with bills, impending car, and life in general, I could only get one. And life, being the utter pain in the skidplates that it is, made sure that there was only one of each, meaning that whichever one I didn't get, I may never find in a store.

Fortunately, a new car will mean being able to drive to stores that are farther away without having to worry about the engine's cooling system collapsing, so there's a chance I might be able to find whoever I didn't pick.

So who did I pick?

Whirl - Always kind of wanted to get this figure. A friend of mine had one when I was a kid, and I thought he was neat. Not neat enough to ask for one for a birthday or Christmas, but neat all the same. And the Generations version kind of reminds me on an Invid Enforcer from Robotech. And just to show how much of a pain Whirl can be, at some point while he was in packaging, he ate his big Autobot emblem. Which is a neat trick for a figure with no mouth. But I'm glad I picked him. Having Rhinox looming over Grimlock would be heart-breaking.........
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
numbat

Post by numbat »

Picked up ROTF Shanghai Showdown Demolisher (Hasbro's white version of Voyager Demolisher). Wanted this guy back when he came out, but he never appeared in stores near me (dunno if he made it to the UK at all) and the online prices for both Hasbro and Takara versions were silly. Found a complete used one on eBay for £15GBP, which seems reasonable. White figures are always risky - they can look very bland - so the Hasbro addition of dirt speckling and dirty treads was attractive over the plainer Takara one for a change. Also the rear of the Hasbro version's head is red, whereas Takara keeps that part white. Of course, it's not exactly white - slightly off-white really.

I really love the mould and the design - such an epic scene as well (Demolisher holds the same place in my heart as Bonecrusher from the first film). It still has the same issues though - the brittle plastic railings have stress marks out the box (I'd guess - they are were the twisties would have been), and I worry about snapping them. It's nice to have a film accurate colourscheme, and the robot mode looks a lot more coherent in these colours, while details such as the head aren't lost in the sea of dark red plastic (although it's a shame only one side of the tread machinery has mud speckles - the inside part would surely gather even more dirt from experience of construction machinery and offroad driving, but appears totally clean!). However, the Terex RH400 excavator mode looks very plain even with the red stripe painted on and the mud speckles, and I think the red version looks a lot nicer in this mode.

I guess with AoE approaching folk are selling off their Transformers on eBay, but it seems this is driving prices down or at least offering some oddities at lower prices because they aren't accurately listed. I'm hoping to fill another few gaps cheaply, but would be very happy if it's just 2007 Deluxe Bonecrusher and white Demolisher I achieve.

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Also items on eBay.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Mucking about with my Combaticons again this evening and turns out all five are actually metal! I only noticed because they've been in the loft and they were cold to the touch. I am quite pleasantly surprised by that. No wonder Bruticus felt so hefty last time I played with these guys...

So for those that are interested, Vortex, Swindle, Onslaught and Blast Off all have metal chests, whilst Brawl's rear treads are composed of die cast.
Firestrider57
Protoform

Post by Firestrider57 »

Generations Skids and Prime Deluxe Prowl.
Both are very fun (Prowl is a little exasperating, though.
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Post by Cyberstrike nTo »

The Transformers: Generations Frenzy & Ratbat
The Transformers: Generations Rumble & Ravage
The Transformers: Generations Orion Pax
The Transformers: Generations Trailcutter
The Transformers: Generations Bumblebee
The Transformers: Generations Autobot Skids
The Transformers: Generations Goldfire
The Transformers: Generations Megatron
The Transformers: Generations Dreadwing
The Transformers: Generations Waspinator
The Transformers: Generations Blitzwing
The Transformers: Generations Sandstorm
The Transformers: Generations Autobot Whirl
The Transformers: Generations Rhinox
Please visit Outlaw Colony my new message board it's a fun site for fun people.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

So, you've bought some Transformers Generations toys have you?
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

I bought two more Prime Vehicons from Big Discount UK (so yeah, they didn't cost much) , which takes my total to 9!
HotShot81
Protoform

Post by HotShot81 »

I got my hands on Transformers Prime Beast Hunters Commander Class Huffer.

Want a strange warning on him?

Site not intended for Québec residents under 13
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Transformers: Generations Voyager Springer.
Destruction is my specialty
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Post by Cyberstrike nTo »

inflatable dalek wrote:So, you've bought some Transformers Generations toys have you?
I ordered them from my LCS and they've been on hold for over 6 months.
Please visit Outlaw Colony my new message board it's a fun site for fun people.
HotShot81
Protoform

Post by HotShot81 »

Well add 4 more to my collection.

Transformers Prime Beast Hunter Legion Class

Twinstrike
Windrazor
Rippersnapper
Blight

All of them $4 a pop.

Going to get Hungerr tomorrow.
numbat

Post by numbat »

I got Takara ROTF Deluxe Desert Combat Rampage for a tenner (well, £11 GBP all said and done). I've never owned the mould, and was always keen that if I ever did it should be one of the red versions, to be more interesting and film accurate - with the Takara one being my preference for the awesome and more accurate dozer. They just seem to go for silly money most of the time, so I feel I lucked out on this eBay auction. Obviously there's not the demand for them to warrant the high prices others are asking.

He does look amazing in dozer mode - that dozer is gorgeously printed with loads of panels, like in the film. The combo of red with some yellow also makes him more interesting to look at. Clear amber plastic for the windows does get lost in the sea of red though. Unfortunately he doesn't seem to hold together as well as I might hope in dozer mode, but I'll fiddle about and see if he can do better. It's the pogo-legs that keep popping down - can they clip in somewhere?

The robot mode(s) are certainly weird. I prefer the pogo-stick-of-doom mode, although it's strange when you view him any way other than front on because of all that back kibble. Ignoring that (if you can) he looks cool, if not too film accurate, he at least gives the right impression. Less yellow to be seen in robot mode, and the silver dozer is tucked away out back, so he's a lot of red with a wee bit of yellow visible as tread wheels on his arms. The metallic grey whip treads are cool, although I find they push his hands open at an angle - I guess there's not much to be done about the rubber's tension.

The face has silver paint, so the clear amber light piping works a bit better than on the dozer windows.

Real shame about the utterly minimal articulation - particularly on the arms.

I'm glad I got him to round off my ROTF Constructicons, and he's certainly a very interesting and unique Transformer. He captures the feel of the movie character, if not being terribly accurate, and has a hell of a weird transformation. But I am equally glad I didn't pay a high price for him, as I am pretty sure I would have been disappointed. I'm also very glad I never caved for the yellow version just to complete the Constructicon moulds at an affordable price while this guy seemed unattainable, as that sea of yellow coupled with the general issues with the mould would have been extremely disappointing.

Now just need to find one of those teal Voyager The Fallen's with the rip off face to complete my ROTF collection to my satisfaction!

Also items on eBay.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Rampage is one that is better in theory than in practice, I think. I've got the red Hasbro version and it's really cool-looking on a shelf, but it's a terrible toy. Stuff like him are the reason why the toys after ROTF started to become progressively simpler. Can you imagine giving the thing to an seven or eight year old? I can barely figure out how to transform it. My nephew would give up after a couple minutes and throw it in his closet half-transformed never to see it again (assuming he didn't just smash it).

I picked up a much simpler construction vehicle today myself: Generations Scoop! He's quite a cool toy, with a very neat transformation that leaves him looking like the G1 toy with added articulation in robot mode. He's very well articulated and looks quite good. I don't think we've ever gotten a modern figure that interprets the simpler, blocky look of the Targetmasters and Headmasters so literally, but with modern toy engineering it comes out really good.

The colour palate they chose leaves me scratching my head, though. His head and shovel are both orange instead of yellow like on the original, which comes off as a really odd choice when the toy is otherwise right out of 1988. And while I don't really mind his head being orange, his alt-mode is really bland without the yellow shovel. Bad planning, regardless -- those parts should have been on a yellow sprue.

The Targetmasters are are a tad disappointing, too. They're a lot bigger (too big, really) than the G1 guys but not much more complex, and actually look less convincing as guns. Considering what they accomplished with Universe Cyclonus's partner five years ago (holy crap, seriously?) these two really seem half-assed.
HotShot81
Protoform

Post by HotShot81 »

I keep swearing I am going to take a break, then I see a bot I've wanted for a while, or looks good.

Well add Transformers Prime Beast Hunter Voyager Class Shockwave to my collection. He had a gun to my head and a bone to pick with Predaking.
MarkNL

Post by MarkNL »

About a week ago I bought a second hand Hybrid Style Convoy (G1 version), though it looks like it's brand new. And oh my... I love that fig. My favorite Prime as of now.