POST YOUR NEWEST ACQUISITIONS!

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Re: POST YOUR NEWEST ACQUISITIONS!

Post by HeavyArms »

Studio Series Roadbuster - From Big W, not on sale.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Siege Omega Supreme

They finally got me!

I thought T30 Metroplex was ugly. Fortress Maximus transformed into Fortress Maximus taking a nap and had none of the accessories that made the original look cool. Trypticon, admittedly, was awesome -- but so is the original and I'm way too attached to that to upgrade. I don't care about Devastator or Predaking at all. And as much as I've always loved Scorponok, he's not a Titan in my head and like Fort Max, he's missing lots of the original's cool parts. But Omega Supreme was always the one I figured I'd wind up with, even before they actually made one. The design has so much character, it doesn't really NEED any accessories to be cool and the alt-mode looks like a real base! But he was super scarce up here when he came out, so I never really had a chance to get one. I'd heard that some Toys'R'Us stores had him in stock when they reopened after quarantine, but honestly didn't give it any thought until I ran into one while out on a toy-shopping trip with my son (the first time I've felt comfortable taking him anywhere public in three months!)

So...Omega. I'll probably regret it once I get my credit card bill at the end of the month, but **** it, I've barely spent any money in the last three months. I have a hard time saying he's actually worth the money, but he's fun! The base mode is great (the little guy was racing Hot Wheels around it). The rocket is stupid huge and lots of fun to swoosh around. The transformation, thankfully, is actually really basic and not the complex mess I'd been dreading. The robot mode is stable and I love having him hoist Decepticons up in his claw. He can toss around a combiner, if you get the balance right!

Regret may also set in when I try to find somewhere to put him, because he's even bigger than I expected. But, honestly, this is a really cool giant robot. I'm glad I was eventually able to track one down.

Countdown is a pretty cool extra. So are the pile of blast effects. Honestly, with how stingy Hasbro usually seems to be with Titans, Omega really feels like he made out well. I guess it's because he doesn't have a Deluxe-sized robot that integrates into him like the others did? But he feels like a legit playset, which is what a Transformer this size really should be.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

I think you're their ideal customer... personally I don't think the gestalts and Omega fit at the titan class size point, it's just the four citybots, but if you're skipping those it fits into a collection better.

Not sure where the hell I'm going to fit Scorponok in scorpion mode. Possibly displacing things that are already on top of the printer.

I picked up a parted-out transparent blue Siege Mirage, since there was a main line one for a change. Is transparent plastic really so bad that it can't be used for both parts of a joint (if so how come it's okay as one part)? And I'm kind of surprised no outline faction symbol as in the absence of one TFs always feel a bit KO-ish, but maybe that was due to the planned Decepticon version.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

I think their ideal customer would have bought the previous Titans too! But I get what you mean. I just like the design, and don't care enough about Omega as a character to be bothered by him being massively out of scale (and he definitely is, to me, since I mostly remember him from Marvel). Ironically the size DOES put me off of Scorponok and Fort Max, since they're actually relevant characters in my head. I'm kind of tempted to order a Zeta Toys Ford to scratch my "Leader Class Maximus" itch this summer, if local shops get them in or stuff starts arriving more reliably from China. Too bad no one has made a comparable-sized Scorponok to go with him, yet!
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

True, and I suppose there'll be Omega/Devastator/Predaking displays out there too by people who mainly collect legend, voyager or MP car class who swell the numbers by Omega being the only Autobot that fits. Our local store (Smyths) must have sold some of them at full price, ditto Trypticon and expectations for Scorponok.

The Toyworld Max is a nice mould, blocky aesthetic but poseable as well, would recommend. There are some https://www.tfw2005.com/boards/threads/ ... s.1093760/ options for a fairly matched sized Scorpy by now but no particularly good ones.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

SS 49 Bumblebee Nice figure. I basically feel the same way about this figure as SkyQuake mentioned, so there's no need to retread that. :up:

SS 51 Soundwave Another good solid figure. The transformation is simpler than other SS figures I have, but in a good way. Even though he doesn't show much color variation, there's enough of a mix of grey and silver to break it up. Overall very solid, but the wheels aren't pinned. I had to fix one a bit since it wouldn't spin at all. But I really like him.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Siege Soundbarrier - Bought from Target.

Generations Selects Seacons Overbite & Seacons Tentakil - Picked up from post office, from Mighty Ape.

Studio Series Constructicon Scrapper & Sentinel Prime - Both from Big W, both were part of there Toy Sale so were quite cheap.

Netflix Hotlink with Heatstroke and Heartburn - Bought from K-Mart, would have liked the battle masters to have been different figures instead of the same figure.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

After getting SS Mixmaster, I've been impressed enough to hunt down the rest for SS Devy. I was able to find SS 60 Scrapper and SS 55 Scavenger at Walmart the other day. I like them both. Scavenger has such a strange design, but it's really quite fun. The lower wheel rotates well on carpet and the arms have a surprising range of articulation. The excavator mode is quite cavernous in the middle, but since the arms make up the scoop, it is quite bendable. Overall I'm happy to have such a unique figure. Scrapper is fantastic, though his leg articulation leaves a lot to be desired. The front loader mode has multiple gaps on the back end, but the front scoop is articulated and the wheels are pinned and great. I just can't stop fiddling with it!

Also got SS 47 Hightower from Amazon. He's interesting, to say the least, and surely not my favorite of the bunch. I've placed (pre?)orders for SS 66 Overload, who looks very neat, as well as SS 67 Skipjack since I like how the yellow breaks up the bulky red middle of Devy when Rampage is attached. I don't know when those will come in.

Finding Scrapmetal and Long Haul will be a chore (at least so it seems) since the aftermarket prices are sky high right now. I hope that maybe Hasbro Pulse restocks at some point, or Amazon, because I'm not dropping the cash that sellers on eBay are pushing right now.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

DOTM Cyberfire Bumblebee or Bumblebeevil as he's known in my house
I didn't know this thing existed until watching one of Thew's recent vids. And then I immediately wanted one because it looked cool. In hand, it's pretty boss. The vehicle mode rules, and looks awesome with it's blood red windows and yellowy energon crackles bleeding into a mostly black paint job. Pinned wheels, so it rolls fantastically. Robot mode is decent. Has all the hallmarks of most movie 'Bee figures of the era - huge calf kibble and a bonnet slung around his neck like a tea tray - but at least it works and isn't a mess like a lot of the recent figures with their overly busy transformations.

HFTD Human Alliance Shadow Blade Sideswipe w/ Michaela Banes
Not the greatest figure in the line, but I just really wanted one. The black alt-mode and purple windows look really cool. Sadly, the clearance this thing has is lousy with the robot parts being a little too close to the ground for my liking. I haven't got the robot mode to stand up yet either. He's incredibly top heavy, thanks to the entire car shell being ramped up his back like and overly starched cape, but he looks pretty awesome, all the same. Just a a bit more beefy than his Deluxe counterparts. Michaela is actually pretty cute and a fun little figure. She can't sit in the vehicle mode very well thanks to her ponytail, though.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

The Kubian "Cool Become Brave" KO CW Devastator -- standing with the shoulders a couple of cm taller than CW Bruticus, I'd recommend it as a CHUG display choice. It really shows up design issues with the tabbing in the original mould though, and the likelihood is some of them will wear or snap if you're not incredibly careful and/or lucky.
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

Legendary Dinobot Leader GRIMLOCK - This figure was something of a surprise.

Don't get me wrong. This looks like it comes from the same minds that had Hasbro put upscaled Legends figures in Walgreens made out of cheaper plastic for $10 to $15, but I have to admit, this is a pretty neat Grimlock figure. Yeah, give him to a child and he'll be shrapnel in less time than it takes to say, "Look what I got you!", but as an update of the original G1 Grimlock figure, he looks really good. Sometimes giving into curiousity can be a good thing.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Earthrise Starscream: I bought this guy mainly because my Universe Starscream's wing snapped off a few years back. I have a few other Starscreams kicking around, but none of them look all that good with my other early-years Decepticons. But since I have so many Seekers already, it's hard to get all that excited about more. This one definitely appealed to me more than the Combiner Wars, POTP or Siege versions, all of which have come and gone since my old Screamer broke, but it still took a sale to convince me to actually buy one.

In-hand, it's a solidly good figure but I wouldn't call it great. It's obviously building on the Classics design, and the engineering is improved in a lot of little ways here (backwards wing articulation in robot mode, ankle tilts, better swivels in the arms and legs, weapons that don't block the arm articulation...). But for a toy that costs three times as much as the old one, is significantly bigger and should be able to take advantage of thirteen years' worth of design advances, it doesn't feel better enough. If this guy had wrist and waist articulation (and looking at it in person, I think both could have been done fairly easily), landing gear or if they'd somehow managed to make an opening cockpit work, Starscream would have an extra layer of cool over and above the 2006 mold. Keeping (and improving upon) the shoulder "butterfly" articulation that the transformation scheme gave the original would have been a nice touch too. But it doesn't have any of that, and that leaves the toy feeling a bit...workmanlike? It gets the job done, but at the same time, it's BEEN done.

I didn't realize until I bought this guy, but he's the only Starscream I own in cartoon colours. All of my other G1 Starscreams have the darker, toy blue. And I have to say, this one's colour scheme is VERY fetching.

Overall, I like the toy and it's better than the one it's replacing. But it's not really doing much to convince me that I want to upgrade on my existing Seeker collection either. Heck, my Thrust broke in the same way as my Starscream and I'm not even sure how interested I'd be in a replacement for that one. Though that might be down to how much of a yawn Thrust is. If they get into the wacky repaints like Siege did, though, I might bite. We're about due for a Sunstorm or a G2 Ramjet, right?
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Heinrad wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:58 pmas an update of the original G1 Grimlock figure, he looks really good. Sometimes giving into curiousity can be a good thing.
Which size class? The bigger one looks okay enough in dino mode to display (despite them not bothering with a jaw) but the small one they didn't bother with the dino arms either, and both pointlessly compromise the robot mode arms. Non-ball-jointed elbows would have been just as cheap to put together.

The original Pretender/Legends Grimlock was way ahead of the small one.
Tantrum
Custom Title: Systems Analyst

Post by Tantrum »

Denyer, I think Heinrad is referring to this one, which is different than the two you're thinking of.

I haven't acquired anything recently, but have opened the ones I mentioned before.

I agree with ganon578 about SS Scrapper. The vehicle mode looks a bit rough, but the pinnned wheels and articulated scoop make him fun. I assembled as much as I could of Devastator. I'm just missing Overload. Dev looks OK, but the head is a bit small. If all of Mixmaster could've made the head instead of just the cab, it'd be better. But, I don't think that'd result in decent stand alone Mix. I still plan to get Overload, but will likely keep the Constructicons separate.

Hoist is nice. I didn't have the problems the Podcast Maximus guy did. My only gripe is that the back of the weapon is too wide. A smaller diameter would fit the bot hand more snugly and allow the weapon to store between the forearms in truck mode, with the barrel pointing out from under the hood.
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

It's the bigger one. And I agree, it's not a great figure. But I do like what they did with the design. The way they set up the transformation sequence for the dino mode I liked, once I realized the flip out swing arm that connects to the dino mode upper body wasn't just a molded part(let's hear it for badly done instructions), or you can just 'lose' the dino mode stuff and have a really big Action Master Grimlock. As I said, I think the thing that makes me so impressed with it is how they managed to evoke the original Grimlock figure.

But onto other things.

Earthrise Optimus Prime: Getting this figure has been a little.... weird. So I basically decided that if I got this figure, I'd only get it if I could afford it and if I found one in the stores. Between working for a bunch of sock sucking slimeballs(they fired me by letter. I'm still annoyed with them) and the Black Death World Tour 2020, I figured I'd never find one. Monday was my birthday, and a friend of mine gave me money. And seeing as I hadn't been to Target in half a year and I had the day off, I figured I'd go, brave the bigger city and possible plague carriers. And Target, while not carrying the Earthrise Thundercracker/Skywarp set, did have a lot of figures, including the Earthrise Optimus Prime. So I grabbed it, went to check out..... And the register told me I needed somebody to come help me. When the guy came over and poked at it, a message came up saying that the figure wasn't going to go on sale until September 1.

So I did what anybody else in my shoes would do. I ordered one from Amazon. I mean, I could afford it, and I technically did find one in a store.. And as much as I love the PotP Optimus, this one looks really good. It's really posable. The trailer's a bit m'eh, but other than that, it's really nice. I'm liking the torso twisting and the posability. And the feet are really sturdy.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

A store holding out for a street date for something already put onto the shelves would be the end of my custom, that's for sure.
the thing that makes me so impressed with it is how they managed to evoke the original Grimlock figure.
Mmm, that's why I've actually got it out on a shelf over any number of better figures, but it's the least likely to get transformed out of anything. It'll probably end up in the "Dinobot Hunt" scene at some point with the pop-off-limbs-non-transforming Slag and (rather unfairly) Toyworld Roar who ended up as an ungrouped Snarl due to another 3P one being better.
Denyer, I think Heinrad is referring to this one, which is different than the two you're thinking of.
Jeez that looks like a hollowed out egg from the back. I'm surprised they've sold well enough to keep doing them and not undermined the brand with parents.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Earthrise Astrotrain - Price matched to Big W's price to get it a bit cheaper, the figure does look quite small in the box though.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

I put together Studio Series Devastator!

https://imgur.com/gallery/rFdZRKc

It took an age because Hasbro's instructions are awful. Why do they insist on taking these nicely detailed images, showing how to move parts, then shrink them down and print them on dark coloured paper so you can't read them? Rubbish. I don't know if I got it quite right, but it'll do. It's very impressive. The detailing is excellent and he has some weight to him. The limbs can move but he does have some balance issues and is best sort of hunched over and nearly crawling. He's not as tall as CW Devastator, but feels a hell of a lot more substantial. I think what's impressed me most is how even some of the more basic component robots bust out all these hidden moves and parts to contribute to the whole. I'm genuinely impressed at what's been achieved with such idiosyncratic designs. The only bum note is the piece of Devy head that comes with Overload. It just sits on top of Mixy's drum, but doesn't clip into place. All in all, Hasbro have smashed it with this. It's awesome. The individual robots are awesome. It's all just flipping great and I love it.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

That looks amazing and I don't even like Movie stuff.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

It's...

Devastating.