POST YOUR NEWEST ACQUISITIONS!

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
numbat

Post by numbat »

Finally got Botcon 2010 Ultra Clench today, after a couple years of searching for one I could afford!

He's an awesome figure - I've never owned Onslaught, so I really didn't appreciate how big the mould is! It works really well for Clench, although it obviously bears very little resemblance to the truck cab of the G1.5 original. The colours work well though, and he's bloody intimidating (yes, even with the sparkly plastic and fluorescent pink! perhaps that's just nostalgia...). The headsculpt is a nice homage indeed.

The mould has a neat transformation too, although the articulation limits posing somewhat - but he only needs to look menacing on the shelf, which he achieves easily.

The only negative is quality control seems to have been pretty poor. There are a few places where the paint isn't quite right - including places where his head is not green (revealing the underlying grey (?) plastic - albeit very small bits, usually on edges which reflect light anyway).

Still, that's pretty minor, and I knew what I was getting in to there. If there are perfect ones out there, I very much doubt I could ever afford one, and the small paint errors make little difference to the figure at all - in fact, there are less blemishes on Clench than on pretty much any of the Prime RID figures or DOTM figures I own. I guess you just expect better from high end items - although I should know better from Takara high end quality, and the fact that Botcon figures are just limited runs probably made to lower standards than Hasbro anyway.

Anyhoo - he looks very nice next to FOC G2 Bruticus, and will make the perfect leader form my Classics-style Decepticons methinks.

:clap:

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Check out my new sale thread now!

Also items on eBay.
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

How much did he cost you? I haven't seen one over 90 USD since he was released [mind you, before shipping]. I got my Pyro from a dude for about 75 USD shipped and he had a Clench at around the same price, but I already have a G2 Clench I prefer. BTW, that was way late 2010...

And yes, Onslaught\Hardhead\Clench have one of the best Ultra moulds. It's big, CHUNKY, has ratchet joints almost everywhere and lots of articulation. Only thing that's not poseable and should be are ankle tilts, everything else is present!
Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
Thunderwave
Protoform

Post by Thunderwave »

Been a while since I mentioned what I've bought, so here goes!

FoC Starscream: Not too bad, overall. The only real bitch I have is that you can see the back of his head in jet mode. Other then that, not shabby.

FoC Magnus: I've wanted a blue Magnus for a while now (I have Classics Magnus), and I'm rather fond of the FoC Prime mold...just not for Prime. I'd of passed on him totally but the big sword makes up for some of the lost mass. Also on sale.

FoC Kickback: I actually really like this guy. He looks like a damned bug in robot mode. Bug mode is weak, but it's a damned bug.

FoC Sideswipe: Cost me $2 and was the only thing I didn't already have TRU had. Looks neat ish and has a giant gun.

Beast Hunters Lazerback: Surprising! Solid feeling plastic (except for the few pieces of rubbery plastic), sharp colors, decent paint apps, and decently bulky. His transformation is not terribly complex. He doesn't do anything surprising or new, but what he does do is solid and proven.

FE Prime: Bigger and badder then RiD Prime. Also, no stupid flippy gun thing. Just need to get him a weapon set I found on Shapeways that lets you flip his sword blades around the right way.
numbat

Post by numbat »

Knightdramon wrote:How much did he cost you?
He cost me £60 GBP including shipping.

I saw him at that sort of price back near when he came out, but I'd just started my own company then and didn't know how finances would pan out so put Transformers collecting on hold. Since I've been secure in my finances I'd struggled to find anything less than £90 GBP delivered on the guy, so I'm very pleased with £60.

:)

I also have the G2/G1.5 one (although am considering selling...) - he was one of my faves when I was younger. I love the design of that brief series of figures, and Clench is definitely the best. It's a little bit of a shame that the Botcon one doesn't do those signature shoulders, but the overall look is very nice.

I'd also like to get Botcon 2010 Pyro sometime, if I can find him at a reasonable price - trouble with being a little late to the party!

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Also items on eBay.
The Reverend

Post by The Reverend »

Well, I got some parts to complete my Horri-Bull - admittedly, I think his name also describes the figure well, but there was something bothering me about him standing headless in the cabinet - and the Giga/Mega figures for Overlord. Giga and Mega amuse me because as Powermasters, they can only spread their legs, not sit. This means they actually lie down in the cockpits.
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

Picked up the FoC Starscream, which comes with my favorite gun from the game(just love the Scrapmaker mini gun), and he's not bad. Fairly sturdy, I can stand him next to Classics Jetfire and have Team Exploration from the toon. Only two real complaints, one being that his feet seem awfully bulky, and the other being that while they put peg holes on the arms so you can mount the arm cannons properly(or pick an arm and give 'Screamer a big honkin' mini gun), the rims of the holes stressed out as soon as I pegged the guns into place.
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

Had Guiledart, Injector and Ramulus a while back, plus G1 Topspin and Twin Twist. A bunch of fun, older stuff which all stand up quite well compared to modern toys. Except for the Jumpstarters, which are a little rubbish, to be honest... although their transformation is always good for some fun.

Also, FOC Kickback, which is actually much more fun than I expected him to be.
Rack 'n Ruin

Post by Rack 'n Ruin »

Got a bit over excited when I saw Transformer Kreons were now out, and grabbed two batches of three. Now I have some Kreon guilt. :(

Still, they are adorable little guys. I got Bludgeon, Springer, Scorch, Blast Off, Inferno & Hook. Scorch is probably my favourite, followed closely by Springer, Bludgeon and Hook. Scorch, Bludgeon and Hook all benefit greatly from some judicious pruning of the flak jacket thing they come with to reveal the printed torso detail.

Also, don't know if it has already been posted or not, but the contents of the blind bags can be identified by the last two digits of the code on the top edge.

40 - Singe (Turbomaster Scorch)
41 - Inferno
42 - Autobot Springer
43 - Warpath
44 - Quickslinger (Slingshot)
45 - Rampage
46 - Insecticon
47 - Blast Off
48 - Decepticon Hook
49 - Dirge
50 - Airachnid
51 - Decepticon Bludgeon

I can't guarantee this will work for everyone, but it certainly worked for me.
Wreck and Rule!
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Where's likely to stock these in the UK, anyone know?
Rack 'n Ruin

Post by Rack 'n Ruin »

Denyer wrote:Where's likely to stock these in the UK, anyone know?
I've seen them in Morrisons & Tesco. To date they are the only places I've heard about too, but surely TRU & the other large supermarkets will carry them eventually. £2 each, btw.
Wreck and Rule!
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Ta. Might pop to the Tesco Extra down the road after work tomorrow, or save it as something for Friday if I make it that far with/through internecine office stuff. Quite like the look of the Bludgeon and Springer.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Picked up FoC Kickback on my lunch break. He looks awesome, and I haven't had a chance to fiddle with him, but I'm excited to get him opened up when I get home and have some time to look him over. And he comes with a disc launcher, which looks cool. We shall see...
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Cheers again for the info, I think I've got all of the ones I wanted in one swoop. Also discovered the world food aisle and found Polish chocolate, which made up for a lot of the rest of the day. And a ****load of spices.
Rack 'n Ruin

Post by Rack 'n Ruin »

Denyer wrote:Cheers again for the info, I think I've got all of the ones I wanted in one swoop. Also discovered the world food aisle and found Polish chocolate, which made up for a lot of the rest of the day.
No problem. Glad you found them. Which ones did you go for?

Sounds like you were in Tesco(?). Their world food aisle is often well worth a look. Lots of different products to try. Their "free from" selection isn't too shabby either.

Polish chocolate? That's all my girlfriend eats. At least, she soon POLISHES off any chocolate in her vicinity. BADUM TISH! I'm (not) here all night...
Wreck and Rule!
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Ended up going for Inferno, Springer, Slingshot, Rampage, Blast Off, Hook, Dirge, Bludgeon.

Wedel filled chocolate is kind of a comfort thing, but did pick up some Wawel and a few US bars as well. If Tesco also did Fazer salmiac filled chocolate it would've been a jackpot moment. I'm actually not particularly into sweet stuff, but the latter contrasts a slightly salty liquorice goo with milk chocolate really nicely.

There's at least one polski sklep near to where I work, actually, must go and get savoury supplies at some point.

edit: Got the rest of the first wave over the weekend, so will add a round-up review of them to the list of things I'm failing to get done.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

I found Pipes at a flea market today. Not in perfect shape (one of his wheels looks to have been glued back on) but he's a neat little design who displays nicely with his fellow Minibots so I'm glad I spotted him.

I am impressed by how different he is from Huffer, though. At a glance I'd guess he's one of the most extensive remolds to come out of the G1 line.
numbat

Post by numbat »

Received MP-12 Sideswipe and MP-13 Soundwave yesterday.

I got home late, so didn't have time to do anything other than transform Sideswipe and try out those shiny chrome piledrivers, but I have to say I am very impressed by him. Especially after the mixed reception he seems to have had. Sure, he's small, but I knew that, and frankly size is not the most important thing. What is important is that he looks ace in both modes, and has a really interesting transformation. I always wanted Sideswipe as a kid, so there's a big 'yay' factor too! He's really well engineered, and looks gorgeous. (Although his head sculpt is a little weird - leaning a bit towards toy style rather than cartoon style.)

Looking forward to Soundwave for similar reasons (always wanted him as a kid, but I'm sure the Masterpiece will be way better!).

Bonus as Masterpiece Transformers seem to be acceptable to my wife as display pieces.

Also items on eBay.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Warcry wrote:I found Pipes at a flea market today. Not in perfect shape (one of his wheels looks to have been glued back on) but he's a neat little design who displays nicely with his fellow Minibots so I'm glad I spotted him.

I am impressed by how different he is from Huffer, though. At a glance I'd guess he's one of the most extensive remolds to come out of the G1 line.

I love Pipes. The slightly culty character helps but I'm always amazed by just how much better he is than Huffer. It's a seriously good bit of engineering that, legs and shape of the alt mode aside, he's basically a new toy when the rest of the 86ers just basically had new head casts. That said, they're a great little wave of figures when they probably would have got away with simple repaints at the time. Probably helps that they're all managed to get some oddball characterisation somewhere, be it from Bob just entering his "they're all lunatics!" phase, from Sunbow, from DW (I still think Hubcap's MTMTE profile is the best thing they ever did) or from IDW.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Cliffjumper wrote:It's a seriously good bit of engineering that, legs and shape of the alt mode aside, he's basically a new toy when the rest of the 86ers just basically had new head casts.
I'm not sure all the remolding works as well as it could have. Pipes' arms in particular are a bit of a mess, and don't look quite right no matter how you position them. He's definitely a great example of design ingenuity though, and I guess I must like him a bit more than Huffer because I could have bought either one of them and Pipes was the one I chose. They're both cute though, and I think I'm going to need to track down a Huffer for myself some time in the future.
Cliffjumper wrote:That said, they're a great little wave of figures when they probably would have got away with simple repaints at the time. Probably helps that they're all managed to get some oddball characterisation somewhere, be it from Bob just entering his "they're all lunatics!" phase, from Sunbow, from DW (I still think Hubcap's MTMTE profile is the best thing they ever did) or from IDW.
Agreed, the 1986 Minibots are great. Hubcap's colour scheme is a headscratcher, and Wheelie's toy is godawful if you count him. But all of the head remolds are well-done, and the characters are some of the most memorable in the whole line. Tailgate and Pipes have very unique Universe bios (it helps that Pipes is basically us...), Outback had a good run in the cartoon, Dreamwave (like you say) made Hubcap lovable and James Roberts is doing the same with Swerve now.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

I too have mighty love for the '86 Mini-bots. I love my Encore set which has added some smart paint apps to make an already good set of figures even greater.

I should add some stuffs I have bought recently:

Sideways vs Axer
its the RiD repaint of the G2 Laser Cycles (or, er, Ninja Cycles if you must) which i bought MiB and have since thrown the box away. Lovely little toys, and Axer is gorgeous. can't stand the name Sideways though. Its rubbish. What was wrong with just reusing Road Pig and Road Rocket, anyway? And here's a poser for you: the batteries in both of these had long since expired and corroded, causing the LEDs to not work, so can such batteries included toys ever be classed as 'Mint' in box, when they are more likely to be f**ked up in box?

Grimock And Terranotron#
Nice RiD repaints of the Beast Wars Dinobot and Terrorsaur moulds. Terranotron is lovely looking in robot mode. Don't know why they've trimmed the length of Grimlock's sword though - it's too short now to form the tip of his tail, leaving him with a hole at the end. booooo safety standards.

Binaltech Smokescreen GT
I can't believe how beautiful this toy is. It's amazing. I like the '04 Impreza mould a little bit better too, and the addition of a shoulder mounted rocket launcher makes the robot mode look a little more hench. It's a shame Taktom didn't think to include other melee weapons - we might have been spared further crappy engine pistols then.