POST YOUR NEWEST ACQUISITIONS!

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Re: POST YOUR NEWEST ACQUISITIONS!

Post by HeavyArms »

Storm Cloud & Visper (Air Strike Patrol) & Highjump & Powertrain (Off Road Patrol) - These were on clearance at Big W.

Robots In Disguise 2001 Scourge - Found it on eBay, it's a repaint of probably my favorite version of Optimus Prime, G2 Laser Rod Optimus Prime.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Skyquake87 wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:36 pm
So, some gubbins turned up this week which took the edge of my dad suddenly passing away on Tuesday :( Thank God for hobbies and silly distractions. I'll miss the big lug and hope he's resting well :)
:(

Sorry about you're dad. Mine just turned 80 a week ago, so mortality is something in the back of my mind all the time now.

Beast Wars Neo Stampy Vs Sling
A rabbit versus a dinosaur doesn't seem like a fair fight, until Stampy busts out his ridiculous Scissors mode! Sling turns into a massive flower to avoid being seen by his scissored nemesis and hides amongst some daises, unconvincingly. I don't know if this was Takara trying to one-up Kenner, or what but I love these daft play features. Toys with personality. Great fun!
Stampy's been Predaking's BFF since 2005 or so. They're my avatar now!

(also those stories are delightfully cute. They might help distract you a bit).
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Thank you :) He was 79. He'd had a bit of a rubbish year with his health, and had a heart attack which was unexpected. It's been a bit overwhelming, tbh. He was a Teacher and Methodist minister and a circuit one at that, so we've had so many people getting in touch :) Still, 79 after a triple heart by-pass 16 years ago isn't bad going. And if nothing else, I'm glad it was quick for him. If that doesn't all sound too flippant.

I'll be sure to have another poke through your stories. Distractions are good :)
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

Studio Series ‘86 Grimlock: Much to my surprise, FedEx delivers on Sunday, and they dropped a T-Rex on my porch. And oh, wow, is Grimmy impressive. He’s big. He’s bad. He hasn’t even noticed that I left Wheelie in the box.

It’s the first Grimlock figure I’ve been able to do the “Oh, yeah? SEE HOW YOU SCREAM!!” pose from issue #61 that looks perfectly right in the pose since FOC Grimlock, and because Geoff Senior used the same figure model HasTak did, it’s perfect.... almost. My only nitpick here, besides lack of sword, is the blue visor. Speaking of classic Autobot Pretenders, putting Jazz and Bumblebee next to him.... well, cartoon and comic size scale were both different anyway, but wow. Bumblebee’s about three quarters The height of Jazz. And Jazz comes up to Grimlock’s waist.

Dino mode is definitely cartoon accurate, for both good and bad. The good is that he does the cartoon sort of Godzilla stance perfectly. The bad is that he looks kind of doofy if you try to put him in a more T-Rex accurate or action stance. It still works, he just doesn’t look overly threatening. If they do the rest of the Dinobots and they all look this good, I may have to get them.
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

Kingdom Blackarachnia: After looking at horribly inflated prices on Amazon($15 for Rattrap? $30 to $40 for Blackarachnia? What happened, Bezos’ ex take him back to court for more money? Looks like the Deep Space Pursuit set is still available, though), I figured I’d hit Walmart to see if they’d gotten any Kingdom figures in yet. And they had. They might have gotten a case or two, and all they had left was 2 Blackarachnias, 2 Warpaths, 2 Cheetors, and one of the bigger skeletonizers or whatever they’re called.

So I grabbed a Blackarachnia. And while she’s not perfect, I really do like the figure. You can do the 8-armed machine gun bit from the show. She’s pretty well balanced. The thigh swivel is a bit weird, though. I think it’s hampered by the thigh panels for spider mode. Other than that, I like the figure a lot.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Skyquake87 wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:36 pmSo, some gubbins turned up this week which took the edge of my dad suddenly passing away on Tuesday :(
I'm really sorry to hear that. :( No matter how old or young they are, or how expected or unexpected it was, losing a parent is never easy.
Skyquake87 wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:36 pmBeast Wars Neo Stampy Vs Sling
I have these guys! The funny thing about this box set is that they both feel like "remixes" of contemporary western figures: Transmetal Cheetor for Stampy and Terrigator for Sling. No reused parts or anything like that, but the transformations, layout and engineering are super similar. I've always wondered if that was coincidence, or if the Takara designers realized how much they were struggling with their own Beast designs and decided to take inspiration more directly from the Kenner toys.

Stampy is a great little toy. The "Targetmaster" mode is a bit throwaway but the rabbit and robot modes are a lot of fun. A bunny rabbit was such an obvious choice for the line that I'm surprised one didn't show up in the very first wave of Beast Wars product.

Sling is actually not a dinosaur! Dimetrodons are even older than that. I've never been entirely onboard with this toy. I feel like he's the exact opposite of Stampy...neither the beast nor the robot are particularly good but the silly as heck action gimmick redeems him some in my eyes.
Skyquake87 wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:36 pmEnergon Darkwing
Skyquake87 wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:36 pmBoat
Early 2000s Hasbro just could not be bothered with names, huh? This mold looks great though, and I've always thought that Darkwing was the nicer of the two.
Heinrad wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:37 pmStudio Series ‘86 Grimlock:
How does he stack up to the old Masterpiece Grimlock? Is he a comparable size? The stock photos make it look like the new toy is very derivative of the old MP design but with a lot of the rough spots cleaned up.
Heinrad wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:37 pmSpeaking of classic Autobot Pretenders, putting Jazz and Bumblebee next to him.... well, cartoon and comic size scale were both different anyway, but wow. Bumblebee’s about three quarters The height of Jazz. And Jazz comes up to Grimlock’s waist.
I guess they could always hang out with Classics Grimlock? The Pretender influence is super strong with that one (though Pretender Grimlock in the comics didn't actually take any design cues at all from the toy).
Heinrad wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:37 pmIf they do the rest of the Dinobots and they all look this good, I may have to get them.
I'm really curious what they do with Slag. Grimlock himself isn't particularly cartoon accurate colour-wise, what with the gold and the clear plastic, but those are fairly minor differences all told. Slag's cartoon model was way different from the toy colours, since it was based on a weird variant that we got up here in Canada that seemingly no one else did. I think it might be my patriotic duty to buy one if they make a modern toy in those colours?
Heinrad wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:44 amYou can do the 8-armed machine gun bit from the show.
With blast effects!

Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

I never got the MP Grimlock, but from a couple of reviews I've seen the Studio Series one is a lot tighter and maybe a head and a half shorter. And a lot tighter.

Now I have to figure out where to put FOC Grimlock since the SS'86 version has usurped his place. He gets to keep his sword, though. Due to sheer bulk, '86 Grimmy looks like he's holding a Bowie knife instead of a sword if he's got it.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Skyquake87 wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:11 pm
Warcry wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:38 am
Skyquake87 wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:36 pmSo, some gubbins turned up this week which took the edge of my dad suddenly passing away on Tuesday :(
I'm really sorry to hear that. :( No matter how old or young they are, or how expected or unexpected it was, losing a parent is never easy.
Skyquake87 wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:36 pmBeast Wars Neo Stampy Vs Sling
I have these guys! The funny thing about this box set is that they both feel like "remixes" of contemporary western figures: Transmetal Cheetor for Stampy and Terrigator for Sling. No reused parts or anything like that, but the transformations, layout and engineering are super similar. I've always wondered if that was coincidence, or if the Takara designers realized how much they were struggling with their own Beast designs and decided to take inspiration more directly from the Kenner toys.

Stampy is a great little toy. The "Targetmaster" mode is a bit throwaway but the rabbit and robot modes are a lot of fun. A bunny rabbit was such an obvious choice for the line that I'm surprised one didn't show up in the very first wave of Beast Wars product.

Sling is actually not a dinosaur! Dimetrodons are even older than that. I've never been entirely onboard with this toy. I feel like he's the exact opposite of Stampy...neither the beast nor the robot are particularly good but the silly as heck action gimmick redeems him some in my eyes.
Skyquake87 wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:36 pmEnergon Darkwing
Skyquake87 wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:36 pmBoat
Early 2000s Hasbro just could not be bothered with names, huh? This mold looks great though, and I've always thought that Darkwing was the nicer of the two.

Thank you! We had the Funeral Director around today and he was brilliant. Got us all sorted for the funeral next week, so that's good :) One less thing to worry about.

Hmph. All these years, I thought a Dimetrodon was a dinosaur. I think that's because like many kids, I grew up seeing pictures of it in books about dinosaurs and early life on Earth, so it just became associated with the big beasts.

...I should read better books. Whatever, Usborne books had such great art, I missed all the words :P

Aside from Crazybolt, all the BWN figures I've bought have been 'vs' packs. Such a great idea, having a goody and a baddie in a box for playtime fun. Stampy is great. I think Sling would be better if he had a few more paint apps to make him more interesting. He's too orange.

I was just reading up on Darkwing on the wiki, as I'm unfamiliar with the character. He's a clone of Mirage and this is the better version of the mould, so I feel like an extra winner now!

Some other bits turned up yesterday, which I've been enjoying...

Kingdom Rattrap
Another BW winner from Kingdom. I like that, as well as the CGI model being represented, this also feels like a more polished version of the original toy (minus the flip changing). The use of ball joints and the general look of the figure is so evocative of Kenner's original work. I love it. Transformation is nice (18 Steps!) and the beast mode looks awesome.

Transformers: A Visual History by Jim Sorenson (VIZ)
What a smashing book this is. A really nice compilation of artwork from pretty much every iteration of Transformers ever. I've enjoyed seeing the UT and Universe 2.0 stuff the most, as whilst not my favourite era for TF artwork, seeing it close up and in more detail, I've a greater appreciation for it. And I now want Cybertron Thunderblast. My favourite part is, needless to say, Beast Wars. I love all that hand painted character art, and seeing it reproduced in a big glossy hardback book is a joy to behold. Also covered are things like the cartoons, films and whatnot. It's not comprehensive, but gives a nice flavour of the design stylings of each era. Nice.
Last edited by zigzagger on Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed that for ya!
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

Kingdom Warpath: I may need to go into a 12 step program. I went to Walmart to get a prescription, and left with both the prescription and Warpath.

Don't get me wrong, he's a great figure, and I love the way the legs transform. If I had one complaint, it's that they don't use pins anymore. I thought I'd gotten an incomplete one until I realized that the piece that makes up the back of the tank had popped loose when I took him out of the cardboard. Other than that, he's a great tank.
StoneCold Skywarp
Custom Title: Best Served Chilled

Post by StoneCold Skywarp »

I have made many, many purchases over the last 12 months and at some point I will document my journey!!

Most recent purchase was Ectotron (v1) mightily impressed by the figure and presentation. Only thing that could have improved the presentation overall would have been a "G1" styled instruction manual but that's a minor gripe and I can understand why it wasn't done. The figure is larger than I imagined it would have been too.
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

Kingdom-

“Fa bootin’ up cold! Why did’ja get HIM?!?!?”

“It is I who should be complaining! I am the one standing downwind of you, VERMIN!!!!”

“You sayin’ I smell bad? You get a whiff’a yerself lately, ya ovagrown Stinky IGUANA!!!!”

- Dinobot: And other than the arguments, it’s been great. I like the way they handled his sword, although his spinny tail thing still looks odd. Robot mode looks great. Dino mode.... well, I’m not planning to transform him much.

Oddly enough, getting Dinobot might have convinced me to not get Kingdom Rattrap. I think the Generations Rattrap scales with him better.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Heinrad wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:29 am his spinny tail thing
Does it actually, properly spin like the old toy? Not gonna lie, that would probably convince me to buy the thing right then and there.
Heinrad wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:29 amOddly enough, getting Dinobot might have convinced me to not get Kingdom Rattrap. I think the Generations Rattrap scales with him better.
The new Rattrap is way too small to look right on a shelf with any other BW toys I own, but it's so much more fun than the Generations one. I was really pleasantly surprised.
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

The spinny-

"It's th' ears, ain't it."

Huh?

"It is not just the ears, Vermin. It is your whole aesthetic."

"Whadda you know about aesthetics, Lizard Butt? You take a look in th' mirror lately?"

"Far be it from me to say that my alt mode is .... Less than well executed-"

"Ain't that th' undastatement'a th' year."

"Be SILENT!"

"You gonna make me, Choppaface? Whatcha gonna do, slap me with yer flipper hands?"

BOTH OF YOU SHUT UP! No, the spinny tail thing doesn't spin freely, sadly. And while the new Rattrap might be more fun, his rat mode is just a statue. The Generations one you can pose. Not a lot, mind you, but getting him into some rat mode show poses helps.

"So when is HasKenTakWhateva gonna make Transmetals? They had twenty years, they ought be able to make me look show accurate by now."

Beats me.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Kingdom Warpath, Grimlock & Autobot Wheelie (TF:TM) - Bought these two while on discount on Victorian Labor Day.

Studio Series Shockwave - A lay-by I completed at Big W, he was a surprising find as he just popped up at random near Christmas.

Collaborative: Ultimate X-Spanse.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Studio Series Autobot Hot Rod (The Transformers: The Movie).

Retro Headmasters Autobot Brainstorm - Won him from a AFI auction. The only one I wanted from this line as we didn't get Brainstorm over here originally as he was a Wal-Mart exclusive.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Went on a late night trip to the store for bagels came out with $120 or so of robots :o

Kingdom Beast Wars Megatron (purple trex): First impression is that he's amazing and I can recommend him 100%. Get him now or wait for the inevitable non-Barney repaints. He's literally just a refinement of the 1996 figures not just as Megatron, but as a poseable trex. He can totally do the "when dinosaurs ruled the earth" bit from Jurassic Park. Dino head can look left, right, up, down, and swivel left/right like a quizzical dog. Tail can wag, and he's got lots of movement in the legs.

The other figures were repaints from the latest wave of the netflix figures: Cheetor, Rusticon (?), black Ironhide, and blue Sideswipe. Cheetor I would have preferred to wait for over the Kingdom release if I had known it was coming before I snagged the first one, but oh well. The other three just looked neat and I liked they weren't minor variants or homages of existing decos, but something new (well, maybe not blue Sideswipe, but I've never had a blue Sideswipe of any kind before, so it's fine). Haven't opened any of them yet though.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Masterpiece MP39+ Spin Out
Another Diaclone homage! Having spent time playing with Cordon, I'm a lot more comfortable handling this mould now and appreciate it's cleverness and complexity. The Turbo Tuning Lambo mould looks stunning in this bright red, although the paint/plastic matching isn't so great, with the plastic having a noticeably darker red colouring. Doesn't spoil things, but is definitely something I noticed so I have written it down. Nice accessories, although I would have liked the big rifle to have been chromed, as it looks like it's stumbled in from another toy. Looks immaculate in both robot and vehicle mode and I love it, even though I wasn't sure I'd end up picking this one up.

Generations Selects Exhaust
Thought it would be nice for GS Deep Cover to have someone to square up to, and this fella ticked the box as another Diaclone homage. Lovely design and transformation. Plastics are good, but the figure seems very loose. Also suffers the same problem as Runamuck - lovely looking car but it doesn't roll!

Siege Earthrise Airwave
What a brilliant figure this is! Wasn't expecting much, but he's terrific fun, with lots you can do with him and a stocky wee robot mode that puts me in mind of Metroplex. Can't wait to get Vhisper and Storm Cloud out to interact with him.
StoneCold Skywarp
Custom Title: Best Served Chilled

Post by StoneCold Skywarp »

I don't need any Earthrise Beast Wars figures, I don't need any Earthrise Beast Wars figures....

Most recent purchase for myself was a modestly priced Fans Toys Sovereign (FT16M) impressive figure overall. Weighty, well built and impeccably painted and designed. It's an avenue I swore I wouldn't go down but now I need to pick up X-Transbots Andras and Eligos (or wait and pray for a FT re-re-release of Quietus) to "complete" the set of TF:TM Decepticons.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Skyquake87 wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:04 pmStill, 79 after a triple heart by-pass 16 years ago isn't bad going. And if nothing else, I'm glad it was quick for him. If that doesn't all sound too flippant.
I think it's a healthy way of looking at it. Sorry to hear anyway. Having parents who refused to give up smoking there's going to be an element of "you were bloody warned" here, personally.

Airwave has some great fan modes. As happenstance would have it, the maroon jet redeco that came with the only Club/Con figure I particularly bothered to get (the Prime ape Pretender thing) goes with it nicely.

I think I've got Ractonite turning up shortly but not a lot else that's interested with current TFs. Did get a broken Horri-bull (minus heads, cover) on eBay to go with the Titanmaster, which was nice. And the bear from Animorphs, because the phrase "Exit, pursued by Jake from Animorphs" has been stuck in my head since seeing a lot of ads for art based on the infamous stage direction.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Denyer wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:01 pm
Skyquake87 wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:04 pmStill, 79 after a triple heart by-pass 16 years ago isn't bad going. And if nothing else, I'm glad it was quick for him. If that doesn't all sound too flippant.
I think it's a healthy way of looking at it. Sorry to hear anyway. Having parents who refused to give up smoking there's going to be an element of "you were bloody warned" here.
Thanks. I think as I get older and get used to people dropping off, my mind doesn't really work on thinking about how sad it is that they're gone, but how great it was that they were here in the first place and I knew them and got to spend time with them.

...I hear that on the smoking. Think my mum's going to be one of those smokers that just gets away with it, annoyingly :P