POST YOUR NEWEST ACQUISITIONS!

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Clay wrote:I may have to pick up a spare Prowl. I like him just on his own. The very crisp white is nice in comparison to the dull and gunky white paint used for 2008 Prowl, even if that mold actually looks like Prowl.
I feel the same way. There's just something about that figure that really works.

On an acquisition note, a few days or so ago Amazon's price on TR Sky Shadow dropped to a nice $40 USD (and Prime shipping helps for sure). He hasn't popped up in stores around here, and I was hunting him anyways, so this was a no-brainer purchase. Fantastic figure. I like the dual alt modes (total giveaway that he's was pre-made for Overlord though) and the Combiner-esque feel to him, while also retaining a ton of play value with the Titan Masters. He's super easy to transform (and it's enjoyable to boot), and the color combo looks sharp. Confused by the stickers for his silver/red stripes though, with all the paints apps/tampo Hasbro's been doing lately. Otherwise, I can't say anything bad about him.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Unite Warriors Bruticus showed up today.

First off, Blastoff is wonky. The idea is sound, but it's got flaws. Somewhere in the robot feet is just a hair's width too much plastic and it makes the legs not connect together firmly. Take a foot off, works fine. Hmm. Also, the head likes to disconnect when the combiner joint is rotated thanks to a notch on said joint that seems to serve no other purpose than making the head pop off. Derp. Will have to take a file or dremel to it sometime. Still, it's a cute robot mode. I know I've periodically complained about scale problems concerning combiners, but I've finally gotten over it and have learned to love the absurdity of having a space shuttle that's supposedly the same size as a motorbike, or vice a versa.

The rest of the set is okay, Brawl aside. The deco is a bit too cartoon-focused in some places (like the Brawl and Swindle feet), but it was the only way to get the shuttle Blastoff and Onslaught in the shade of blue I liked, so it's all good. Vortex I hadn't paid much attention to, but I like the colors of this version much better than the Hasbro one.

Swindle's canopy or rollbar or whatever also likes to pop off too easily, and is calling for a pin install like what I had to do with First Aid's arms. Are the Hasbro Swindles and Hounds like this too?
Unicron

Post by Unicron »

I've built up a little heap of stuff over the recent weeks of unopened stuff that's lying around because I haven't the time to spend opening it all up nor the clear space to put it at the moment. Stuff like MP-36, the Chaos on Velocitron set, some various other Titan's Return stuff.

And of course I added to it today with a Broadside. And a deluxe Brainstorm, which I found at a Target of all places. The UPC wasn't in their system, so they ended up selling it to me for negligibly less than the other deluxes cost. I'm assuming someone returned it to the wrong store.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Clay wrote:Swindle's canopy or rollbar or whatever also likes to pop off too easily, and is calling for a pin install like what I had to do with First Aid's arms. Are the Hasbro Swindles and Hounds like this too?
I think my US version's rollbar has popped off once or twice, but it's definitely not as floppy/loose as yours seems to be. All the CW stuff I have seems pretty solid from a QC standpoint (maybe not Vortex, his hips are funky and pop off a lot).
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Whilst waiting for Wave 4 of Titans Return to show up in shops over here (although I'm not expecting it to, tbh, with Movie stock now arriving), I've had a look again at RID Blastwave who's been one of the more eye-catching RID figures.

As with a lot of TF toys at the moment, he's clearly designed to be a different character - in this case Bludgeon. So, he's utterly unconvincing as a new guy, as he's too many design traits that belong to someone else. That out of the way, he's a really great figure. The robot mode is superb, and the Onslaught-y colours work really well. Paint applications are nice and neat too. Transformation is pretty involved for an RID figure and good fun - the resulting tank is appropriately cute, cartoony and pretty cool. Best RID figure I've bought since Scorponok.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Came across TR Brawn the other day (the Legends version, not the TM) so I picked him up. Passed on Roadburn - I already have Bumblebee, and simply didn't like the face sculpt in person. Brawn is pretty darn neat though.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Ran across some wave 4 Deluxes and wave 3 Legends while I was grocery shopping last night! Wasn't going to be able to drag them all home on the bus along with all my other stuff, so I had to "settle" for just Kickback and Topspin.

Topspin is pretty surprising, actually. He looks so much like the original in both modes (though I wish he had the little blaster between his middle finger and ring finger on both hands!) that, considering what the original was, it's really funny just how complex the new toy is. It's not confusing at all, but there's a lot of moving parts in the transformation. He's probably vying with Triggerhappy for the most complex TR Deluxe so far. Articulation is quite good too. Overall he's a very nice figure, and I'll happily buy it again as Twin Twist.

Kickback's robot mode is a bit gawky, and he's got so much rubber and clear plastic that I'm a bit leery of playing too roughly with him. His bug mode is nice but doesn't really do much. He fits in nicely with the other two Legends Insecticons, I guess, though the fact each of them uses a slightly different colour palate means that they don't pop as a group the way the 80s figures do. He's probably the best-engineered of the three, but that's not saying much. I'd say he's not really worth buying unless you've already got Bombshell and Shrapnel and want to display the whole gang together.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

MP34 Cheetus (Beast Wars)
Courtesy of our Brend (thank you!) is Cheetor. Its a bit late for me to be figuring this out, but the CG Model used for these figures isn't as gawky looking as I thought. Further thoughts to follow once I've been had a fiddle...
Tantrum
Custom Title: Systems Analyst

Post by Tantrum »

Denyer wrote:Just be careful with the little tabs and panel bits, and the mould holds together quite well for the period -- have a look on YouTube for tetra squadron process vids.
Thanks for the tip. Once I found a pic of the undersite of the jet mode, I was OK. I haven't actually transformed him back into bot mode since the jet looks so good, and I already have some nice bot TCs.

I found TLK Barricade and Berserker at Walmart for $16 each, instead of the usual $20. That's still an increase over the $15 RiD and TR Deluxes go for, but not much.

In Barricade's case, it was definitely worth it. The pinned wheels roll better than any TF car I've bought in the past few years. The clear plastic windows and light bar look much better than the painted ones on CW Streetwise or Prowl. The headlights are painted on, instead of clear plastic like CW Groove, but still look pretty good.

Like many movie toys, transformation consists of folding up the limbs and tabbing panels together. The fender panels on the shoulders make for a decent silhouette, but the roof and trunk are a solid piece that makes for a too large backpack. Other than that, he's a great figure. I don't know if he's $20 great, but the materials justify some extra expense.

Berserker has pinned wheels, but painted windows, and no light bar. It's also much harder to tab the panels together than Barricade. So, he rolls well in truck mode, but doesn't look as good.

His backpack is much more compact, though. In box, he loks very tall, but that's because his legs are straightened out instead of being bent satyr-like as intended. The bot generally looks better than the similar Crankcase from a few years ago, except Crankcase has painted dreads, while Berserkers are the grey as his face.

If I'd paid full price, I'd still be pretty satisfied with Barricade, but let down by Berserker.
Alleged "poems"
that don't follow a rhyme scheme
are not poetry
Clay

Post by Clay »

Is berserker a new mold, or just a reuse of the DOTM lookalike? I saw it in the store a few days ago and couldn't tell.
Tantrum

Post by Tantrum »

Berserker is a new mold. I'm visiting my parents for Mothers' Day weekend, so I don't have them in front of me. But, I tried Crankcase after fiddling with Berserker, and it's a different transformation, not just a retool.
Alleged "poems"
are not poetry
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Grabbed TR Krok yesterday. He's a bit nicer than Skullcruncher, I think. The joints are a lot tighter and (even though I really like Skullcruncher's look) the colours are just a bit nicer.

The mold suits the character well, too. It's reasonably kibble-free, which is good for an ex-Actionmaster, and his alt mode is a pretty good likeness for the original toy's little partner Gatoraider.

The Headmaster gimmick winds up screwing with the proportions of the original toy's head a bit, and the gator jaws get stuck in a way that Skullcruncher's don't, but overall this makes for a very nice Krok.
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

Having to meet a friend of mine at a not very near Walmart gave me a chance to have a quick mooch around a toy section I hadn't checked before, mainly because the local ones only have Hot Rod, Twinferno, and Breakaway, the shelfwarming sub line of Titans Return. And while there was no sign of Sixshot, I did find a couple of figures I was looking for:

TR Perceptor- He's not perfect, but I like him. He ticks all the right boxes, but it seems to me that he doesn't want to be a Titan. The little Titan Master's head won't come out of the connector socket. The head pops off the ball joint, though, so it still kind of works.

TR Krok- While I had no interest in Skullcruncher, giving him a miss meant I didn't have all of the redux versions of the original Decepticon HM figures. Krok doesn't give me the character, but he gets me the mold as well as an assistant for Blugdeon.
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

LK Barricade!

At full silly price whack. A week later it's only £11 in Argos. Sigh.

Fun toy though, even if I found transforming him a bit of a bugger, getting the legs right for car mode was a pain in the ass. And I ****ing love Barricade beyond all rationality.

Also, a fun issue of the German Transformers comic!

https://twitter.com/InflatableDalek/sta ... 1278818308

https://twitter.com/InflatableDalek/sta ... 7479989252
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Tantrum

Post by Tantrum »

TR Repugnus and Shuffler - Between these guys, the T-rexes, and Fangry, the beasts far surpass the vehicles.

I finally got UW Computron. I haven't fiddle with him too much, yet. I like how Strafe's fist holes can fit over his guns' rear pegs in arm mode, making one of the more cohesive arm modes in the line. Lightspeed's elbows are rather loose, but everything else seems OK.

I may have another one coming, though I don't need it. My ordering process went:
1) I order from vendor A via Amazon
2) Vendor A offers free shipping from Japan, but a long delivery time and only approximate delivery date. Presumably, this is because they're waiting to add my order to a larger shipment. This is fine.
3) Approximate delivery date comes and goes. 1 week later, I e-mail vendor A, asking for update.

4) 1 week after that, vendor A still hasn't responded.
5) I e-mail Amazon asking for update, who promptly refunds my money.
6) I use said money to order from vendor C, who sends me what I've got now.

7) Vendor A finally responds, saying their shipment is still on its way.
8) I explain to vendor A that I've already ordered (and received) that product from someone else, as my refund and lack of other response indicated the vendor A order was a no-go.
9) Vendor A e-mails me a form to have my money unrefunded once my order arrives.

I still don't have an update on whether or not my vendor A order is coming for sure, when that might be, or what to do when/if it arrives. Can I just bring it to the post office and tell them I refuse it? I don't want to pay for a 2nd Computron or return shipping costs.
Alleged "poems"
are not poetry
Firestrider57
Protoform

New Acquisitions

Post by Firestrider57 »

TLK Optimus Prime, AoE Hound, Scorn and Slash
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Tantrum wrote:TR Repugnus and Shuffler - Between these guys, the T-rexes, and Fangry, the beasts far surpass the vehicles.
My willpower crumbled last night and I caved in and bought Overkill and Fangry, and I have to agree with you. They're super cute and a lot more fun than Apeface or Flywheels were. I actually feel like they're worth the money, which I can't say about the previous TMs I got.

Overkill's head mode (which is a repaint of Crashbash I think?) is pretty bad, though. It doesn't match the aesthetics of the line at all, so it looks bad no matter what body I put it on. Luckily he's going to be stuck as a cute dino 99% of the time.
Tantrum wrote:I still don't have an update on whether or not my vendor A order is coming for sure, when that might be, or what to do when/if it arrives. Can I just bring it to the post office and tell them I refuse it? I don't want to pay for a 2nd Computron or return shipping costs.
Considering that Amazon already cancelled and refunded your order due to the seller not communicating, I'd think you'd be in the clear. But it might be best to see what their policies are?
Tantrum

Post by Tantrum »

I like Overkill's Head on Triggerhappy. The blues are a close enough match, TH's original red face looked out of place, and OK's face looks sinister enough for all those guns. I put TH's head in OK's shell, so he's still a T-rex, just without the molded teeth detail in the lower jaw.

Do you mean Amazon's policies or vendor A's? I'm curious if either even has a stated policy for "We cancelled your order but sent it to you anyway." Their policy might not even be legally enforceable. If it shows, I'll ask the Consumer Affairs department of my state's Attorney General's office and see what my actual obligations are in this situation.
Alleged "poems"
are not poetry
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

TLK Decepticon Berserker - Wasn't planning on buying this one so soon but when I checked the aisle all but two of the Last Knight deluxes were gone save this one and Slash, so I pulled the trigger.

CW Motormaster - Finally finished the Stunticon team with this purchase, also luckily it's the second iteration of the figure with the improvement over the original.
Destruction is my specialty
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

So I'm beginning to think I've hit a secret sale at Walmart. When I got Perceptor, Krok only cost the holidays sale price. And it happened again. I may have to hit this Walmart more often.....

TR Kup - I have to be honest, I wasn't going to get this one originally. But the alt mode sold me. It just looks really good. His robot mode, though.... needs a little more bulk, I guess. And there was another reason I got him.

TR Topspin - He looks pretty cool. Bulky, posable, great alt mode. Perfect as a Wrecker.

Which, ultimately, is why I got Kup. He fits in with the asthetic. Curse you, LSotW!
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642