POST YOUR NEWEST ACQUISITIONS!

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

Like Warcry, I also picked up Sludge and Snarl. While I have the same complaint I’ve had all along(these guys aren’t bulky enough). Unlike Warcry, my first Dinobot was Sludge, and I’ve always had a soft spot for the bronto.... er, apatosaurus. Or whatever he is.

They aren’t bad, but I wonder why they can’t give them all guns. Why just give Snarl a sword? Why give Sludge the same gun Slag has?
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

I think they've decided that Brontosaurus was a real dinosaur again.
Heinrad wrote:They aren’t bad, but I wonder why they can’t give them all guns. Why just give Snarl a sword? Why give Sludge the same gun Slag has?
The figures aren't compromised that much by being combiners, but this is the one place that it's really noticeable -- they've all got a giant combiner hand eating up the plastic that should have gone into making the rest of their accessories. I've kitted them all out with bits and pieces from my spare parts bin, but it's a shame because the accessories they do come with are really accurate and I've always loved the look of the G1 Dinos' weapons.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

POTP Elita-1
As expected, whilst Starscream looked a podgy mess in this mold, Elita-1 wears it much better. The colours and shaping are superb and she looks gorgeous. I like the whiff of Gundam about the figure and that she's not got the usual stick-thin super-obvious female body type going on. Her proportions are a bit off though, her legs are super long and the arms feel a bit short. Poseability is decent, nothing flashy. The bits of Prime armour are... awful. The black is too strong and there's nowhere to place these things on the robot mode that don't look out of place and cumbersome. Much better are the two small pistols she has, which she can dual wield of plug into her shoulders. Transformation is a bit of an uncomfortable clip and snap affair, hindered by Hasbro's current obsession with horrible foil stickers with all the durability of glass cricket bat. Jet mode is actually quite nice though. Looks a bit Scattorshot-ish, but that's no bad thing.

POTP Alchemist Prime
Sumarauder! I loved this Pretender as a kid (it was the only one I had). The shell is excellent, nicely detailed with some neat paint apps. The Attack Mode is a fishy take on Liege Maximo's rake, and just as successful. Alchemist Prime's robot mode is really nice looking too - a nice update of the old '80s toy. Too bad he turns into some sort of nothing, really. The Prime Masters have been a disappointing follow up to the Titan Masters, and I'd much rather the Prime Wars line had thought more along the lines of the Powermaster/ Armada eras and had these tiny figures unlock features. As it is, they're just disappointing bits of nonsense that fill out Prime armour. Wooo.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

POTP Predaking
I've been prevaricating about getting this as it didn't look too great, but thought, 'well the gestalt looks great if nothing else'. Iiit's exactly what I was expecting, so I've not been disappointed. Like the originals, each of the individual components are incredibly boxy. This means the robot modes all look pretty banging (yes, even with Torox and Headstrong having to cart around massive chunks of LEG on their backs), especially with the added jointage modern engineering gives them. But the beast modes are somehow worse than the originals, being passable at best. None of them look particularly good and it's clear that the compromises made to make all the transformations work and the gestalt be structurally sound have hit the beast modes hardest, which is a bit of a shame. HOWEVER. Transforming and combining the set is where you 'get' it. It's a very impressive feat of design and engineering, given the usual compromises and whatnot toys have to go through. It's just great fun transforming and mucking about with them and the stuff Razorclaw and Divebomb do to make up the torso and right arm is fab. The combined mode is appallingly massive and I love it. It looks glorious and it's super solid and surprisingly poseable. Only that worryingly hollow midrift is anything to be bothered about. The weapons are only really there for Predaking. Divebomb hoofing two long barrels that split in half for...reasons isn't impressive, and Torox and Headstrong just look like a couple of breakdancers carrying some suitably impressive decks. These new Preds could really have used the pile of guns and swords the old '80s versions had too many of. Set also comes with some stickers, but I won't be bothering with those because, aside from Divebomb's wings, they don't add anything and also because they continue the trend of Hasbro's corner cutting; poorly cut, lacking in clutch power and just too damn fiddly for their own good. And I had enough of that bollocks with Trypticon's stickers. A set to get if you like playing with toys, which I do so yaaay!
Tantrum
Custom Title: Systems Analyst

Post by Tantrum »

Skyquake87 wrote:POTP Alchemist Prime
Sumarauder! I loved this Pretender as a kid (it was the only one I had). The shell is excellent, nicely detailed with some neat paint apps. The Attack Mode is a fishy take on Liege Maximo's rake, and just as successful. Alchemist Prime's robot mode is really nice looking too - a nice update of the old '80s toy. Too bad he turns into some sort of nothing, really. The Prime Masters have been a disappointing follow up to the Titan Masters, and I'd much rather the Prime Wars line had thought more along the lines of the Powermaster/ Armada eras and had these tiny figures unlock features. As it is, they're just disappointing bits of nonsense that fill out Prime armour. Wooo.
Some of the Prime Masters make decent heads. I'm still using Alchemist in Chromedome as Rorschach. The red one makes a decent cyclops. They also look better in Overlord's chest compartments than heads do.

I opened Cogman and got SS Lockdown. They're pretty similar. The soles of the feet combine to form the rear of the car. The car sides are split between the arms and ankles. The top of the car folds into a backpack, with some fiddling to get the front bumper within the torso.

Cogman's passenger compartment is a bit dissapointing. He fits two *Masters, but there's no notch in the seats to hold them, so they flop around and fall out when you're trying to get the roof in place. Once that's done, they fit snugly. he's got painted rims, but clip on wheels, so he looks good in car mode, but doesn't roll very well. His sword stores out of the way in the undercarriage, which is nice.

Lockdown has pinned wheels and rolls very well. They're unpainted, but look good in all black. I've only transformed him into car mode once. When I get him back to bot mode, I'll have to fiddle with his shoulders. They seem like they should be wider.

He has his hook and sword weapons. The hook attaches so it curves horizontally, not vertically. They store on the sides of the car in alt mode.

The head folds backwards into the chest during transformation. It seems like they could've made a moving facemask and have it fit. Still, of the 3 SS Deluxes I won, he's the largest, and the only one with pinned wheels, so I can't complain too much.

SS Jazz has a different transformation that other Jazzes, movie or otherwise. The top of the robot mode is made of the undercarriage of the car, with the hood within the torso. The center of the grill pulls out slightly and rotates 180 deg during transformation. This creates the illusion of the normal transformation, and makes the grill look a bit disjointed in bot mode, as in the movie.

Still, he's very small and has clip on wheels, so I can't say he's a good value. Scout class RotF Breakdown only cost $7.50 new, had more paint, pinned wheels, and is maybe a hair smaller than Jazz. There's been some inflation since then, but not that much. Though, Jazz does have clear/tinted windows and headlights.
Alleged "poems"
that don't follow a rhyme scheme
are not poetry
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

The Wal-Mart reissue of G1 Hot Rod.

POTP Alchemist Prime.
POTP Alpha Trion.
Destruction is my specialty
Clay

Post by Clay »

Tantrum wrote: Cogman's passenger compartment is a bit dissapointing. He fits two *Masters, but there's no notch in the seats to hold them, so they flop around and fall out when you're trying to get the roof in place. Once that's done, they fit snugly.
I think they'll tab into the front, about like putting one's feet on the front wall of the floor board.

As for me, I had deluxe Repugnus show up in the mail Friday. He's... about exactly what you could expect if you've handled the other two versions of the mold (and especially Grotusque). So he's fun... and more importantly, he represents actual follow through on Hasbro's part for completing subgroups. Good for them.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Speaking of completing subgroups, I finally managed to find TR Slugslinger for a non-offensive price! I'm super anxious for him to show up so that I can have a full set of one of my favourite G1 subgroups.

Today, though, I found POTP Optimal Optimus. Now, the reaction to this toy from the BW corner of the fandom...well, it caught me by surprise. The same people who've been ranting for the past 22 years about Geewunners who couldn't move on and accept anything that diverged from 1984-86 have spent the last eight months or so pitching an absolute shit-fit, REEEEEEEing at the top of their lungs about how Hasbro disrespected them by daring to make a toy that isn't a line-for-line replica of the one they had in 1998. It's embarrassing. And naturally, after all the senseless bitching the toy turns out to be perfectly fine anyway.

The "Evolution of a Prime" gimmick is entirely superfluous, here, to the point where I punched out one pin and wound up with totally independent small Primal and Optimal Optimus figures. Doing that left me with a much-sleeker small Primal figure, and drastically improved Optimal in both robot and beast modes. And because of how the figure is designed, small Primal can still form his "surfboard" mode without any difficulties, and can combine with Optimal for storage when you're not using him. So I'd say you should definitely do that if you pick him up. If you don't, both the big and small robots (and sometimes the gorilla) have pretty large capes.

This new Optimal Optimus drops the original's car mode (sacrilege!!1!111!) but picks up the smaller robot and its surfboard mode in exchange, so there's still a lot of transforming to be had. All of it is fairly perfunctory, but so was the source material. The beast mode and both robots are very poseable, too, so the whole thing is a lot of fun to play with. My only real complaint is that the stickers are, as I've come to expect, total garbage. Thankfully there's not many of them.

It feels a bit dishonest to say something's a good figure after removing 25% of it and disabling the core gimmick, but honestly, it took about a minute and I'm really happy with what I've got now. Your mileage will vary, unless you're one of that strange new breed of Beast Wars fundamentalist. They'll obviously hate it.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Warcry wrote:The "Evolution of a Prime" gimmick is entirely superfluous, here, to the point where I punched out one pin and wound up with totally independent small Primal and Optimal Optimus figures. Doing that left me with a much-sleeker small Primal figure, and drastically improved Optimal in both robot and beast modes. And because of how the figure is designed, small Primal can still form his "surfboard" mode without any difficulties, and can combine with Optimal for storage when you're not using him. So I'd say you should definitely do that if you pick him up. If you don't, both the big and small robots (and sometimes the gorilla) have pretty large capes.
Good to know. Think I'd be happy with either the Op Op or the "throne" one in that case.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

POTP Battleslash.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Last week I was out and about and decided to pick up PotP Bomb-Burst & Megatronus. Not that I don't already have a Megatronus that looks better from getting Blast-Off, but I figured I was only him and Landmine away from having the set of the mass retail Prime Masters. He's OK, but a little bland since there's so much grey going on. I much prefer the transparent red fancy one I already have. Oh well.

I also grabbed PotP Rippersnapper, mostly because I was itching for something new. Been kicking around the idea of getting him for a while since I thought he looked cool, but didn't want to entice myself to fill out an Abominus (which I still won't). Rippersnapper is going to be a limb for either PotP Starscream (if I can nab a Cutthroat) or CW Cyclonus. RS is pretty darn fun though! Great range of motion, good colors and tampos, and who doesn't enjoy a walking shark thing? Overall a robot that's just bonkers and totally fun to boot. :up:
Tantrum
Custom Title: Systems Analyst

Post by Tantrum »

Clay wrote:I think they'll tab into the front, about like putting one's feet on the front wall of the floor board.
You're right. There's 1 TM peg per passenger, but I didn't see them beneath the dashboard. Thanks.
Warcry wrote:The "Evolution of a Prime" gimmick is entirely superfluous, here, to the point where I punched out one pin and wound up with totally independent small Primal and Optimal Optimus figures. Doing that left me with a much-sleeker small Primal figure, and drastically improved Optimal in both robot and beast modes. And because of how the figure is designed, small Primal can still form his "surfboard" mode without any difficulties, and can combine with Optimal for storage when you're not using him. So I'd say you should definitely do that if you pick him up. If you don't, both the big and small robots (and sometimes the gorilla) have pretty large capes
Did any figure nail the Evolution gimmick? Rodimus came closest, since the entirety of his Deluxe is used in the Leader. Optimus Prime could form both bots simultaneously by removing the head and faux-windshield from Orion, but then the truck's front wheels are no longer attached. It sounds like Optimus Primal is an even more extreme case, where you can get two independent transfroming bots, with one storing indise the other. Evolutions are a better update of Pretenders than the new Pretenders. Speaking of which...

'Sup, dawg? I heard you like Bludgeon, so we put Bludgeon bludgeoning Bludgeon with Bludgeon in your car, so you can watch Bludgeon bludgeoning Bludgeon with Bludgeon while you drive!

I also got Bomburst/Megatronus and Octopunch/Solus Prime, but don't have dated pop culture references for those. They look pretty good in Overlord's chest compartments.
Attachments
Bludgeon.JPG
Alleged "poems"
that don't follow a rhyme scheme
are not poetry
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Tantrum wrote:Did any figure nail the Evolution gimmick? Rodimus came closest, since the entirety of his Deluxe is used in the Leader. Optimus Prime could form both bots simultaneously by removing the head and faux-windshield from Orion, but then the truck's front wheels are no longer attached. It sounds like Optimus Primal is an even more extreme case, where you can get two independent transfroming bots, with one storing indise the other. Evolutions are a better update of Pretenders than the new Pretenders. Speaking of which...
I had that thought when we first heard of the gimmick, but I don't think any of them do a very good job of being Pretender-like. I think Ultra Magnus might actually be the closest G1 comparable, at least for Primal. In both cases, the only thing that the core robot adds to the super robot is the head.

I'd love to see actual Pretenders get another kick at the can, one day, but I can't imagine them doing much with the concept even at bigger price points after seeing how meh a job they've done with this line's Leaders.
Tantrum wrote:'Sup, dawg? I heard you like Bludgeon, so we put Bludgeon bludgeoning Bludgeon with Bludgeon in your car, so you can watch Bludgeon bludgeoning Bludgeon with Bludgeon while you drive!
So many Bludgeons, but not a one that looks like Wildman's art. :(

The new one at least gets the colours right. That's a step in the right direction!
Clay

Post by Clay »

Well.

In an episode of the bizarre, I found something quite unexpected. At the local peddlers' mall/flea market here in town, in a booth otherwise stocked with various wrestling figures, I saw something purple that I immediately identified as a Beast Wars Megatron. At first glance, I thought it was the Cybertron deluxe/BW 10th anniversary figure, but nope! It was the Robotmasters version! And after a bit of looking around in excitement, I found the Robotmaster Optimus Primal too! Neither had their blue spring-loaded missile launcher, but both were otherwise complete after a bit of rummaging (finding Primal's second sword took a bit of effort).

To top even that much WTF-ery, the price! "Purple Dino" was $2.05 and "Transformer" was $3.05, for a grand total of $5.41 for the pair.

I find it rather inexplicable, honestly. These had to have come from an adult collector as Robotmasters was just a little niche line in Japan well before the live action movie stuff started expanding everything. So, whoever had them must've known what they were and would've sold them on ebay or somesuch, unless they had given them to a child relative and ultimately ended up at the flea market. But then what are the odds that they'd be complete?

Now, I don't think that they're incredibly rare or valuable, but they're certainly not what I expected to find for $5 in a flea market in rural Kentucky. Also, I already have the pair from when they came out back in 2004, so now I have a spare set if anyone wants them.

EDIT: Mr. Warcry must have a sixth sense or something, because he had already PM'd me about Megatron within six seconds of me posting this. So, I'll still have a surplus Primal for anyone that wants one.

Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Oh come on now, it was at least a minute!
Warcry wrote:Speaking of completing subgroups, I finally managed to find TR Slugslinger for a non-offensive price! I'm super anxious for him to show up so that I can have a full set of one of my favourite G1 subgroups.
This guy arrived yesterday. He's definitely the weakest of the Targetmaster trio, because his character model leaves 90% of his jet mode just hanging off his back and there's only so much you can do about that and still have a toy that looks like Slugslinger. But he's got the same good poseability as the previous two, a good colour scheme and a really nice pair of weapons.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Primal's sorted now. Thanks for playing, everybody!
Warcry wrote:Oh come on now, it was at least a minute!
IT WAS NOT LONG.

As for TR Slugslinger... yeah, he kind of transforms the least out of the three targetmasters. But as you say, he looks like Slugslinger, so it's all good.

I actually liked the new targetmasters so much that I double-dipped and bought both the TR and Legends versions. Proper sci-fi spaceship transformers just don't come around as much as they used to.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Clay wrote:As for TR Slugslinger... yeah, he kind of transforms the least out of the three targetmasters. But as you say, he looks like Slugslinger, so it's all good.
He does look like Slugslinger...mostly. I'm not quite sure what's up with the head. Misfire and Triggerhappy's heads are lifted pretty much directly from their Marvel/Sunbow model sheets and made a bit boxier to work as Headmasters. But Sluggy doesn't look anything like this, or his original toy, or any screenshots I can find of his Japanese model. It's not ugly, just strangely off-model.
Clay wrote:I actually liked the new targetmasters so much that I double-dipped and bought both the TR and Legends versions. Proper sci-fi spaceship transformers just don't come around as much as they used to.
Titans Return was a gold mine for those of us who like futuristic alt-modes! And the three 'Con jets have always been my favourite of the '87 vehicle designs. I just hope it's not too long before Hasbro loops back to do their Autobot counterparts.

I'm not really in love with any modern incarnation of the Targetmaster gimmick, so I've not looked much at the Takara ones. I do think that their Slugslinger is a bit nicer than Hasbro's, deco-wise, but Hasbro's Slugslinger's guns are way cool and there was no way I was buying the version that omits them in favour of a midget doing yoga.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

TFN toys...

starting with the new Doublecross! Quite a fun toy, really nicely done and I can see why folk went mad to get the rest.

https://twitter.com/InflatableDalek/sta ... 1064542211

The Gobot Slicks! Hundreds of these have lain unbought on the Spacebridge table at different conventions for years. So I finally got one out of sympathy. He's a bit...OK. More amazed the stickers were still perfect and went on easy than anything.

https://twitter.com/InflatableDalek/sta ... 6847784960

Tiny tiny third party Goldbug who is so tiny and perfect!

https://twitter.com/InflatableDalek/sta ... 7227087872

Third party Machine Wars Optimus...OK, I wanted the Thunderclash. But this is still a lovely toy.

https://twitter.com/InflatableDalek/sta ... 8125287424

And, though it arrived too late to get Stan Bush to sign it, the LP of the soundtrack to the 86 film!

https://twitter.com/InflatableDalek/sta ... 6700856323
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Generations Doubledealer,

POTP Cindersaur,

Transformers Animated: Season One Collection,

Transformers Animated: Season Two Collection,

Transformers: Animated - Season Three Collection,

Bought from Madman.
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

PotP Outback - I have to admit, I do like the little guy. Would have been nice if they’d included a gun, but.....

PotP Darkwing - I’d like to say I got him because now all I need is Dreadwind to get the doom and gloom duo, and while I’ve always like his design, the fact that he’s supposed to be a combined limb just bothers me. He, like the Dinobots, just doesn’t feel bulky enough. That being said, thanks to the fact they gave him two small pistols, not only does Outback now have a gun on his arm, but Snarl now has a handgun as well instead of an upside down bathtub that came with Scourge.

As for Titans Return Targetmasters, then only ones I knew about were Hot Rod and Kup. The only one I got was Hot Rod and that was more due to wanting a more toon accurate color scheme. And the modifications they made to the mold itself. The gun is neat, but.... m’eh. I still prefer Hot Rod to use the exhausts on his arms like the movie.
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642