POST YOUR NEWEST ACQUISITIONS!

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Re: POST YOUR NEWEST ACQUISITIONS!

Post by HeavyArms »

Cyberverse Repugnus.

Roadhandler & Swindler (Race Car Patrol), Autobot Topshot & Flak (Battle Patrol) & Decepticon Blackjack & Hyperdrive (Sports Car Patrol) - Bought these three at half-price from The Reject Shop.

Masterpiece MP-20 Wheeljack - Actually won a eBay auction for this and saved a lot of money.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

HeavyArms wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:54 amMasterpiece MP-20 Wheeljack - Actually won a eBay auction for this and saved a lot of money.
Is it a real one? I just assume all of the listings are KOs with MP stuff (not that that's a bad thing, the quality is generally good as long as you know what you're getting -- it's sellers that don't know what they've got or deliberately misrepresent it that are the bigger problem).
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

Earthrise Doubledealer (along with that Hasbro Select Micromaster cassette 4-pack thingermawhatchit).

It's nearly the G1 Doubledealer toy beat for beat, but chunkier, with improved articulation... and a smaller head! I love it. And the robotic chicken form is pure nonsense, but I love it.

The extra little gimmicks are nice, welcome touch; nifty faction-swapping gimmick, and optional companions that fit in 'Dealer's chest compartment (though, yes, it would've been better if they were simply packaged with DD). Expands on the whole "play pattern", so I dig it.

Speaking of optional companions, it's Knok and Skar! Knok is unremarkable, but he can live is Dealer's chest so it's cool! But Skar--Skar is a super adorable, snarly, purple bat, and I ******* love him.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

It is a bit of a love-letter to obscure stuff, isn't it? Looks neat, I'm just finding it hard to justify anything in that size class. Particularly when the original (no nebulans but with the key accs for death chicken and missile launcher modes) was a really cheap eBay acquisition.
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

Denyer wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:05 pm It is a bit of a love-letter to obscure stuff, isn't it?
Oh, it absolutely is! And I would love to see more stuff like this (though, Titans Return did certainly scratch some of that itch). I'd be game for a proper Darkwing and Dreadwind. I already have an Overlord (the Takara Legends version; he's brilliant!), so that'd round off the set nicely.

Plus, the POTP retools of the pair are a bit "bleh", aren't they.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

The combined jet could have been done with more care and it would've made all the difference. But I'd probably settle for Blackwing not fetching more than it's worth in the UK so I could justify having a pair in robot mode as well as the combined jet. Dreadwind was more available and by far the better figure.

We've done really well for later characters... Dreadwind, Spinister, Krok, clones, Overlord, etc. And though I'm not going down the Selects route with bigger figures like Super Megatron or the Seacons that side of things is being catered to very well too.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

The Dreadwing duo are a nice pair of Decepticon Aerialbots, and they're some of my favourite CW-style limb bots (damning them with faint praise,admittedly), but as representations of the characters and their unique gimmick they leave something to be desired.
Denyer wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:00 pm We've done really well for later characters... Dreadwind, Spinister, Krok, clones, Overlord, etc. And though I'm not going down the Selects route with bigger figures like Super Megatron or the Seacons that side of things is being catered to very well too.
It's definitely been a few good years for those of us who like late-run Decepticons, at least. It feels like they haven't been nearly as aggressive on 1987+ Autobots, I suppose because there are so many Ark crew guys that they like to cycle through every few years (or, lately, every year). I think Hasbro are more willing to fill out the line with obscure 'Cons simply because there are so many fewer recognizable Decepticons, and so many of the 1984/85 crowd are repaints and retools, or share colours.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Sure, but compared to half-arsed redecos like Drag Strip out of Mirage in the Classics line, new heads and sculpting do make a nice difference. Felt it worth getting another Dreadwind at least -- all that letters page exposure left a mark.

I think it's partly also because later Autobots are blander than Decepticon equivalents, whereas originals came back in Earthforce, Classic Pretenders, etc. but the Decepticon moulds have more reuse potential. Whereas there's only so much you can do with the tooling for, say, the Monsterbots so they had to be their own reuses.
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

Denyer wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:00 pm
We've done really well for later characters... Dreadwind, Spinister, Krok, clones, Overlord, etc. And though I'm not going down the Selects route with bigger figures like Super Megatron or the Seacons that side of things is being catered to very well too.
True that. I appreciate this sort of renaissance/interest in the latter-year Decepticons. I probably should've elaborated earlier on this point, in that, yeah, we've been spoiled in terms of obscure character representation lately, but Doubledealer felt particularly special, as he looks and feels like an actual homage to the original toy rather than just being an nifty update. :)

Like, even when my brother handled and fiddled around with it, he had a similar reaction to it that I did; it's the G1 toy again--but better.
Tantrum
Custom Title: Systems Analyst

Post by Tantrum »

Cyberverse Battle Call Trooper Wildwheel - Quite a nice figure. He seems skinnier than his toon model would suggest, but his toon model had a poncho, so who's to say for sure? The paint job is much better than on the Cyberverse Deluxes I've seen. Grimlock's got a flat gray, with unpainted shins. Wildwheel's brown makes for a much bolder neutral color, and all the detail that should be painted, like his ammo belt, is.

Articulation is OK. Ball jointed shoulders, elbows, and hips, with hinged knees. He tends to fall over backwards a bit, though. This may be due to the only thing I don't like about the bot mode, his windshield and center hood folding into what is basically a tail. Given what Hasbro's been folding into backpacks lately, taking care of this should've been a snap.

My best guess is folding the hood into the back might've gotten in the way of the battery compartment for the Battle Call gimmick, which appears to be an LED in his chest. If the red LED and green chest deco weren't in such contrast, maybe the LED would make it look like his whole chest was glowing instead of a dot in the center.

According to TFwiki, this is supposed to respond to other figures I don't intend to buy, or to yelling. It's too nice to close up my windows, and I don't want my neighbors to hear me yelling at a toy, so I haven't experimented with this, yet. I'm guessing this gimmick is why Wildwheel cost $5 more than the similarly scaled Clobber and Rack'N'Ruin.

Like those two, Wildwheel has translucent green energon armor. Unlike those two, the armor is separate pieces instead of springloaded and built in. The shoulder pieces look good. The chest/faceplate looks better in car mode. In bot mode, I stick it on the side of the leg, which also helps hold in place the LEGO Bionicle cloth I use in lieu of the absent poncho.

He's also got translucent green pistol, which can store in his hips like guns in holsters. The guns can stay in holsters when transforming to car mode, or store on the car's exterior. The cowboy hat stores on the bot's back when transforming to car mode, but it's a tight fit. The car looks good and rolls well, but doesn't really fit the cowboy theme.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

https://comicbook.com/gear/news/transfo ... call-line/

Meteorfire looks like quite a nifty generic out of that line-up too... good to see new characters. The alt mode reminds of some old Japanese TF (and associated line) toys.

Like Hammerbyte, overpriced in this market, particularly for an extremely blocky chunk of plastic. But it has charm.

edit: Is "trooper class" equal to deluxe, voyager, or somewhere in-between?

https://tfwiki.net/wiki/Transformers:_C ... _(toyline)

Oh right, it's because of the voice activation gimmick.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Siege Micromasters Stakeout and Redhot, Direct Hit and Power Punch
Picked these up because I'm a glutton for punishment. Stakeout and Red Hot look really nice, but are incredibly loose and floppy. Vehicle modes are decent. Stakeout fails to roll well. Direct Hit and Power Punch are both excellent. I like that they combine like the originals and the robot modes are really nice. Weapon modes for these guys are the usual unconvincing upturned half transformed guff.

Loyal Subjects Trailbreaker, Scrapper and Long Haul
Thought I'd have a punt as they're pretty cheap on the after market. Blindbox super-deformed type fun. Glad I managed to get 3 different characters. They're quite cute and pretty solid things. Do feel the kibble attachment isn't all that great, but it works. Scrapper makes shooty noises. Nice.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Cyberverse Deluxe Hot Rod & Grimlock - Bought both of these from K-Mart before stage 4 lockdown restrictions came into effect in local brick & mortar stores.

G1 Walmart Swerve & Tailgate - As above.

ROTF Shanghai Showdown - I owned the other Constructicons as individual figures from the second movie so I thought I might as well add Demolisher to the collection, ice-cream truck Skids and Mudflap was really just a bonus, I guess.
Last edited by HeavyArms on Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Denyer wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:15 pm
HeavyArms wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:54 amMasterpiece MP-20 Wheeljack - Actually won a eBay auction for this and saved a lot of money.
Is it a real one? I just assume all of the listings are KOs with MP stuff (not that that's a bad thing, the quality is generally good as long as you know what you're getting -- it's sellers that don't know what they've got or deliberately misrepresent it that are the bigger problem).
I'm not too sure but the box has seen better days, it has the Lancia sticker that indicates it's real as well as a product stamp on the bottom of the box that I usually see on official products.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Earthrise Optimus Prime

Quite a wonderful figure. Not that the fandom needed another Optimus, but this one is really well done. I was quite pleased with the Siege version, but I like this one even better. Articulation is great, and you can really get this guy into some fantastic action poses. I love the ability to open/close the hands with wrist swivels! Kibble has been kept to a minimum, with only his wheel fanny pack looking out of place. Play value is excellent too, with the trailer having a built in shield and med-bay, plus the ability to carry some smaller cars like ER Cliffy. The tiny matrix in the chest is awesome to boot. If I had any squabbles it would be the peg on the side of his blaster and the lack of color on the inner parts of the trailer, especially with the bland fixy-robot thing. For a Voyager-class fig in a Leader-sized box with a Leader-sized price tag, I think this one is justifiable like Magnus was for Siege.
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Netflix Seige Autobot Mirage and Decepticon Mirage. My first acquisitions since forever, so I'm damned well posting here.

Former from Amazon and the latter, at rip-off price, from eBay, because my local Smyths Toystore had none and the website would not redirect any by post from such Primus-forsaken places as Plymouth where they had oodles to spare (17, if you're asking).

Look at that! A boast and a rage, All in One.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Super jealous of Netflix Mirage. That's one of the most eye-catching decos I've seen on a Transformer in the last few years. So naturally, I've had no luck at all finding one.
Denyer wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:51 amI think it's partly also because later Autobots are blander than Decepticon equivalents, whereas originals came back in Earthforce, Classic Pretenders, etc. but the Decepticon moulds have more reuse potential. Whereas there's only so much you can do with the tooling for, say, the Monsterbots so they had to be their own reuses.
It's funny you bring up the Monsterbots because after I saw Doublecross I was pretty convinced that the trio were going to get made with three different molds that would share tooling with the Decepticon small Headmasters. Doublecross and Fangry, Grotusque and Horri-Bull, Repugnus and Squeezeplay all share enough features that I think it could have worked, even though that's not the direction they wound up heading.

I find it hard to disagree that the late-run Decepticons are a lot more interesting (visually and character-wise) than their Autobot counterparts. Just line the toy catalogues up side by side and it's pretty tough to deny. That's not to say that I wouldn't like to see Quickmix or Jackpot or Sureshot or Joyride get their due, but Spinister, Krok, Triggerhappy and Dreadwind have a heck of a lot more curb appeal.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Fangry and Squuezeplay = same mould again, probably. Horri-Bull maybe Weirdwolf.

A Jackpot out of POTP Jazz (like the earlier Classics con redeco) would make sense before the mould disintegrates. Quickmix I suspect doesn't stand a chance with mould reuse potential. Planes are far more versatile without being as boring as cars. Really hope they bother with Windsweeper and Needlenose at some point though. They certainly don't owe anything to Fun Pub any more.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Hubcap's rather good -- less boring than the main Cliffjumper use, and the lemon yellow differentiates from yet another Bumblebee. In the absence of other meaningful characterisation I'm imagining junior spiv Colin Matthews from Press Gang and have given him a massive chest Autobot symbol to add to the bonnet one because he's the kind of Thatcherite weasel who'd try too hard.
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

Warcry wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:01 am
I find it hard to disagree that the late-run Decepticons are a lot more interesting (visually and character-wise) than their Autobot counterparts. Just line the toy catalogues up side by side and it's pretty tough to deny.
It's true. Those 87-88 'Cons are all about the aesthetic, more so than the Autobots during that era (sans the odd Monsterbot or Technobot--who are awesome, and I cannot be convinced otherwise).

And so many of them showed off their love for magenta and turquoise (on top of the requisite purple and off-white). Those colors gave the 'Cons and distinct theme--like a uniform or something. They're, as you say, visually more interesting and striking, which is helped all the more by some fun characterization from the old bios and comics.

I may not go out of my way to nab each and every new iteration of those characters, but it really tugs on my nostalgia heartstrings when I see them.