Unicron Trilogy toy discussion

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Savannahtron

Post by Savannahtron »

Cliffjumper wrote:You adore that Mustang even today. Your opinion on anything is void.

I fully understand the commercial reasoning behind the Unicron Trilogy largely being a crapfest. I just don't like it one bit. At least three of you need extremities broken for the narrow terms in judging these figures (terms like "best Energon whatever"... the correct phrasing is "least shit"). That any passable design was, seemingly intentionally, coloured the most horrible colours imaginable was was the crowning turd in the sewer main for me.

The whole thing is probably best forgotten now we're getting proper Transformers again...
I like quite a few of the Rotf as well as Universe stuff. Not sure about the upcoming series with the Gestalts with the Drones. The Thrust toy looks promising though.

Sunstreaker2

Post by Sunstreaker2 »

Cliffjumper wrote:You adore that Mustang even today. Your opinion on anything is void.

I fully understand the commercial reasoning behind the Unicron Trilogy largely being a crapfest. I just don't like it one bit. At least three of you need extremities broken for the narrow terms in judging these figures (terms like "best Energon whatever"... the correct phrasing is "least shit"). That any passable design was, seemingly intentionally, coloured the most horrible colours imaginable was was the crowning turd in the sewer main for me.

The whole thing is probably best forgotten now we're getting proper Transformers again...
Sure, the bizarrely proportioned and kibble covered ROTF line are "proper" Transformers.

Haven't seen this many shellformers since RID and Beast Wars Neo.
No longer looking for RID Dreadwind, but I still need Smokejumper. I'm also in need of Mammoth Nemesis Prime's tail piece, as my figure lacks it. Send me a PM.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

I only have a few of the Unicron Trilogy TFs, and some are Universe repaints. The toys themselves we well built, IMO, and are good fun, though I get tired of the Cyber Keys. Currently, the Universe toys I have that are repaints are:

Heavy Load (Quickmix)
Blaster (Soundwave)
Roadbuster (Cyb Def Hot Shot) <-- He is crappy though
Springer (Evac)
Ratbat (Sideways)
Dirge (Starscream)
Shockblast
Unicron
Soundwave

So mostly Cybertron figs, but I do think they're pretty good for the most part...
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Sunstreaker2 wrote:Haven't seen this many shellformers since RID and Beast Wars Neo.
Depthcharge and Mixmaster are the only ones springing to mind as Shellformers, unless they've been redefined as "anything which doesn't have the front end of a car as a torso and big thunder-thighs". A tenner says your definition of the term is little like anyone else's, and flexes according to what you're talking about.

But yeh, you're right to laud the good proportions and sleek design of anything from Armada, Cybertron Backstop, Dirtboss, numerous other toys I could probably finger if I could be bothered to trawl through TFU.info.
Sunstreaker2

Post by Sunstreaker2 »

You need to look deeper then.

Every Sideswipe toy has terrible proportions and all the transforming ones, aside from the Legends figures, are massively shellformer-y.
No longer looking for RID Dreadwind, but I still need Smokejumper. I'm also in need of Mammoth Nemesis Prime's tail piece, as my figure lacks it. Send me a PM.
Terome

Post by Terome »

I quite like Evac. I am okay with this.
Savannahtron

Post by Savannahtron »

Just got in Scourge (Cybertron) Ultra class today. Had to add some batteries, but the figure is pretty decent overall. His Battle Axe is massive. Articulation is kind of weak, but meh...
Savannahtron

Post by Savannahtron »

Sunstreaker2 wrote:You need to look deeper then.

Every Sideswipe toy has terrible proportions and all the transforming ones, aside from the Legends figures, are massively shellformer-y.
Not to double post, but really?

Sideswipe, aside from being one of my favorite figures does not have one model that could be considered a shellformer. Aside from the G1 being one of the better G1 toys made, the Universe Classic figure is pretty damn near perfect as well.
Sunstreaker2

Post by Sunstreaker2 »

Savannahtron wrote:Not to double post, but really?

Sideswipe, aside from being one of my favorite figures does not have one model that could be considered a shellformer. Aside from the G1 being one of the better G1 toys made, the Universe Classic figure is pretty damn near perfect as well.
Ah, I should have specified that I was referring to ROTF.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Sunstreaker2 wrote: Every Sideswipe toy has terrible proportions and all the transforming ones, aside from the Legends figures, are massively shellformer-y.
Define Shellformer for me.
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

Big Convoy [BW Neo] is a shellformer. Break the penguin is a shellformer.

The ROTF Sideswipe I have [Human alliance version] is not a shellformer...
Sunstreaker2

Post by Sunstreaker2 »

Cliffjumper wrote:Define Shellformer for me.
My definition might differ from yours, but to me, a shellformer is any Transformer where a large percentage of the alt mode does not go into making the limbs and torso of the robot mode.

Deluxe and Human Alliance Sideswipe both have the majority of their car modes on their backs, and thus, in my definition, they are shellformers.
Savannahtron

Post by Savannahtron »

A shellformer refers to the bots that the alt mode is comprised of pieces that form the alt mode and just peel away to unveil the robot mode mode inside.

http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Shellformer

The article does refer to HA Sideswipe as a shellformer.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

So it's basically a completely meaningless measure, right? Because it's a derogatory term that means whatever someone wants it to.

Next.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Savannahtron wrote:A shellformer refers to the bots that the alt mode is comprised of pieces that form the alt mode and just peel away to unveil the robot mode mode inside.

http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Shellformer

The article does refer to HA Sideswipe as a shellformer.
I'm not really sure I agree with all the TFs listed on their 'notable' shellformer list. Trans-scanning Bumblebee? Wasn't the whole point of that figure to be able to remove the car parts from the robot mode? I hardly think that qualifies it as a shellformer...
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

Cliffjumper wrote:So it's basically a completely meaningless measure, right? Because it's a derogatory term that means whatever someone wants it to.

Next.
Be nice or shellformer off, would you? ;)
The Reverend

Post by The Reverend »

Well, aside from Armada's Unicron, the only toys from the line I would say I like were Energon's Galvatron (even with flaws), and strangely, Energon's Demolishor repaint. Yes, the lime green one. I'm not totally sure why, except that with a halftransformation he becomes a very nice gun turret for other TFs to operate, heh.
Jaynz
Custom Title: RIP - see pixelsagas.com

Post by Jaynz »

Cliffjumper wrote:So it's basically a completely meaningless measure, right? Because it's a derogatory term that means whatever someone wants it to.
Not really. A 'shellformer' is a figure where most of the alt-mode has nothing to do with robot-mode parts (and, in extreme examples, you can actually almost make TWO figures by snapping off the alt-mode parts completely, like BWII Dead End or Cybertron Thunderblast). Certainly some of ROTF's line qualifies as a shellformer, in that the bulk of the alt-mode is inelegant kibble.

But I think ROTF's bigger design sin is the sheer number of toys who's 'robot mode' is 'what the hell is that supposed to be', coming from the Beast Machines school of thought that so long as you flip some parts around, it's considered 'transformed' regardless of the final outcome.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

TFVanguard wrote:Certainly some of ROTF's line qualifies as a shellformer, in that the bulk of the alt-mode is inelegant kibble.
Some of any line does, pretty much - technological and/or size limitation are the only things really keeping a number of G1 figures from matching that description. Like Jetfire, or Sizzle, or pretty much all the Scramble City figures, right?

But again we're at it with the weasly description - "bulk of", "most of", "large percentage". Plus "inelegant kibble" - again, subjective.

Bear with my memory on this...

Armada Hotshot is a shellformer because his chest, arms, head and upper legs are all either invisible or intended to be invisible in his alternate mode, right? Red Alert is a shellformer because his head, arms and (IIRC) entire lower body are all etc. in vehicle mode? Starscream is a shellformer because his head, arms, legs etc, etc.? Blurr with his grey cloak etc.? In fact, from memory pretty much every figure in the line relies on (especially) limbs that fold out of shell-like alt mode parts, aside from the odd block of torso...

If that's how a Shellformer works, it seems non-Shellformers have been the exception and not the rule for 15+ years now, and the proportion hasn't greatly increased for Movie/Univarse/ROTF. What has increased, leaving design ethos to one side as a purely subjective evaluation, is the skill of engineering applied.
Jaynz
Custom Title: RIP - see pixelsagas.com

Post by Jaynz »

Cliffjumper wrote:But again we're at it with the weasly description - "bulk of", "most of", "large percentage". Plus "inelegant kibble" - again, subjective.
It definately is subjective, but I think there's a threshold where a reasonable person can call something a 'shellformer'. Some people have lower tolerances than others, of course, and inevitably, some people will toss the word around as a 'cool insult'.
Armada Hotshot is a shellformer because his chest, arms, head and upper legs are all either invisible or intended to be invisible in his alternate mode, right?
I wouldn't say so. I wouldn't say that Hot Shot qualifies as a shell former really, since it really refers to the robot mode having all that kibble and most of the alt-mode kibble more-or-less works here as part of the robot. This doesn't make Hot Shot a good toy, mind you. Just not a shellformer.
Blurr with his grey cloak etc.? In fact, from memory pretty much every figure in the line relies on (especially) limbs that fold out of shell-like alt mode parts, aside from the odd block of torso...
Armada Blurr is one because nearly his entire car mode is on his back, with only few pieces actually involved in the transformation. The 'shell' consists of the vehicle mode opening up to reveal a robot tucked inside without the vehicle mattering much to the robot (and, indeed, leaving the alt mode pieces just hanging back there). Blurr's a pretty perfect example of this actually.