Wondering about a Universe/Classics triple-pack

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Heinrad

Wondering about a Universe/Classics triple-pack

Post by Heinrad »

There's a picture floating around of a Universe/Classics 2.0 triple pack of Rodimus, Cyclonus, and Galvatron in decidedly G1 toon colors. Is this something yet to be released, has it been released, did it get cancelled, or is it a bunch of really good looking knockoffs?

Any ideas?
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
Paul053

Post by Paul053 »

Nope, not yet. You can pre-order it at TF-Source now. I believe it's not a KO even though Hot Rod looks very much like it. But Cyclonus's color is much closer to his cartoon look. Not really care about Galvatron.
Savannahtron

Post by Savannahtron »

Have all three, but that looks like a great set.
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

Sweet. Got to get a set or two. I'm actually surprised they didn't include an Ultra Magnus.
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

It'll be set to a price point, at a guess.

Hmm. Could go for that, even if the Galvatron mould's complete crap.
burnitall
Protoform

Post by burnitall »

Am tempted, but I really don't want another Galvatron. They kind of scroo'd the pooch on that one. :|
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

I think I read at Seibertron or somewhere that it was a store/Comicon exclusive or something.... can't be sure. Let me go check.

EDIT: http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/ ... set/19361/ Official product, but other than pre-orders it seems to be a store exclusive.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Price is fairly reasonable, taking into account prices for Henkei Cyclonus, aftermarket value of Rodimus, etc.

Time to give TFSource a whirl.

edit: Maybe Galvatron won't suck quite so badly in better colours and if I leave it in robot mode...
Rookwise
Protoform

Post by Rookwise »

Have just got mine from Kapow toys. Came to just a few pence over £40 inc delivery.
optimusskids
Protoform

Post by optimusskids »

It sounds like the one AutoAssembly have got their hands on I believe they said it isn't available in the UK and will be a Target exclusive in the USA
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Denyer wrote:Maybe Galvatron won't suck quite so badly in better colours and if I leave it in robot mode...
Yeah, scratch that, it still looks ridiculous.

At least the other two are great.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Just thinking aloud... how long until someone does an oversized bootleg of Galvatron?
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

I'm surprised they haven't yet, to be honest. You would think it would be an obvious choice, if the bootleggers knew anything about the franchise they're copycatting.

Then again, if they knew anything about the franchise we'd be inundated with Thundercracker bootlegs, so who knows?
Rookwise
Protoform

Post by Rookwise »

Couple of quick in box pics of mine. Not had chance to open it yet.

Raze
Protoform

Post by Raze »

Why does Cyclonus look like the happy one in that set?
secretcode

Post by secretcode »

Latest Hauls: Supertrain Megazord, RID Galvatron, Nightwatch Prime
TF Total: 173 ---- Non-TF: 32
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Nice. I look forward to them showing up in cheapie shops eventually.
numbat

Post by numbat »

Galvatron and Cyclonus both look a lot better than their original releases in that set - but what on Earth have they done to Hot Rod?!?!

I am very glad I got the original Classics release. That's one Hasbro nailed over Henkei, and it doesn't look like repaints are going to improve it either...

Would be tempted for Cyclonus though. He never appeared in any stores around my way (Galvatron did, but he seems to be a horrendous mold).

Still, good deal if you don't have any of the trio. Hot Rod is a fantastic mold, for sure!

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Check out my new sale thread now!

Also items on eBay.
Jaynz
Custom Title: RIP - see pixelsagas.com

Post by Jaynz »

Denyer wrote:Just thinking aloud... how long until someone does an oversized bootleg of Galvatron?
KOToys already had some in military colors. I don't think they did one in straight-up Galvie colors, though.
numbat wrote:Galvatron and Cyclonus both look a lot better than their original releases in that set - but what on Earth have they done to Hot Rod?!?!
They made him look like his G1 toy form, which had a huge orange-yellow sticker on the front, which then had flame details on it. (1985 didn't have many Transformers with tampo details, it was all stickers). I personally preferred the more subdued Classics release, but I can see why Hasbro went this way.
numbat

Post by numbat »

TFVanguard wrote:They made him look like his G1 toy form, which had a huge orange-yellow sticker on the front, which then had flame details on it. (1985 didn't have many Transformers with tampo details, it was all stickers). I personally preferred the more subdued Classics release, but I can see why Hasbro went this way.
I do realise that stickers were used back in the '80s, and actually owned G1 Hot Rod until quite recently.

However, regardless of the intent to make the new version look like the G1 toy, from photos it looks like the two shades of yellow don't quite have the contrast to make the flames stand out, unlike the G1 toy (yellow on orange, rather than yellow on, erm, yellow):

And I don't recall G1 Hot Rod having grey hands (unless there is a variant I'm unaware of), so they kinda threw the G1 toy homage out the window there...

Henkei did do a far better job in achieving the G1 look - but I do prefer the 'updated' Classics look over this as well. But, each to their own...

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Check out my new sale thread now!

Also items on eBay.