High points in your collection

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Knightdramon
Protoform

High points in your collection

Post by Knightdramon »

Lately I've noticed a trend; most tf collectors bitch like crazy. Bitch like it's the end of the world. Bitch because a 10 USD figure does not have shiny silver finish. Bitch because what we got is too small for it's price class. Bitch because what's coming is too expensive. Bitch because a devastator with voyager sized limbs costs about 600 USD from a third party company.

Basically, we bitch. A lot. Second only to macross fans. You do not want to go there.

But what are some of your high points in your collection? What are some true [relatively speaking, always] achievements in your collection? What are you thankful for and don't bitch about in your small or huge collection?

For me it has to be, accumulated over the years...

--Having about 90% of the Henkei figures, purchased at, below, or around retail when they were released. No paying 110 USD for Henkei Ironhide, for example. Only exceptions are Smokescreen and Red Alert.
--Actually making profit off buying MP Rodimus. He was a gift, he had some QC issues, amiami refunded me half the money back.
--Buying MP Grimlock, with EMS shipping, for around 100 USD. Japanese version
--Getting MP Skywarp [takara] first edition, below retail. No hunting at walmart or getting reverse boobs with the second edition.
--Getting japanese exclusives from toyshows at insanely low prices
--Having an almost complete animated collection [only missing four figures] at well below retail, at my leisure.
--Buying Buster Optimus Prime at retail
--Finding Generations\RTS Windcharger at retail, in Greece, Europe, aka the forgotten continent by Hasbro. At the same time US people were stepping over each other paying 40 USD or trading Unicrons for it.
---EDIT ADD: My Generations Kup, hard to find and demanding in price in the US as he was, came with TWO musket riffles in package.

What are yours??
Paul053

Post by Paul053 »

Are you talking about the good/normal deals we've got like not paying stupid money for a stupid figure so we won't bitch about? I think I have few, too.

- Got Unicron from numbat. Thanks to him.
- Got RTS Windcharger from numbat. Thanks to him again.
- Got Primus at only $8, not complete though.
- Got Skywarp from Generations Thundercracker with Thundercracker's retail price so I completed the seekers.
- Got Stepper from RTS Jazz with Jazz's retail price.
- Got WFC Galvatron from WFC Megatron so I can put him with my classics.
- Got WFC Nemesis Prime from WFC Optimus so I can put him with my classics.
- Got Universe/ROTF/Energon Bruticus at retail price so I don't have to fight for it when FP Crossfire 2 came out.
- Got perfect condition Universe ultra class Onslaught for only $5.
- Got BM Megatron for only 50 cents.
- Totally hated Animated Samurai Prowl and surprisingly sold it for double what I'd paid (bought at $9 and sold at $18).
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

I clear out the crap fairly regularly, which means I have little to bitch about actually in my collection - though I do hope Takara's QC department all suffer some sort of simultaneous pancreas failure.

- MP Prime. He's still just superb.
- Alternators Smokescreen, and to a lesser extent Silverstreak depending on mood - again, just a near-perfect figure top to bottom.
- The original Autobot cars - I've got most of them, and Transformers has never managed the sort of variation and detail these managed again. Bad toys, great little designs - chrome, more stickers than a Panini factory, diecast... Mmmm.
- ROTF Leader Prime - still a marathon to transform, but always worth it.
- Movie Ironhide & Brawl - I like most of the Movie toys, but these really nail the whole thing.
- Classics Bumblebee - real work went into this one.
- Road Rocket - picked up in a second-hand shop circa 2000, on a whim when I thought G2 was all crap. Terrific little figure.
- RiD Scourge - the best of the black Primes; a great mould with a better colour scheme than the original.
- Sixliner - Six Micromasters which turn into trains and then a robot about the size of a Deluxe.
- Robotmasters Convoy - a terrifically fun little mould; the only 'problem' is that he's smaller than the Classics Deluxe figures.
- Jetfire - the original. Still just a fantastic figure.
numbat

Post by numbat »

I'm not too bothered by things in the mass-retail Transformers world, to be honest. Overall, I think you get decent value for what you pay.

Highlights, in terms of value, though, are:

- Generations Warpath at less than UK shelfprice (if he ever appeared) - thanks to Clay
- My complete set of Hasbro Classics mould G1 Seekers all at or below retail price, except Ramjet - half of them thanks to Clay again
- RTS Windcharger at shelfprice, randomly clogging Scottish retailers shelves
- HFTD Leader Starscream randomly a tenner below retail from Forbidden Planet of all places last September!
- Universe 2.0 Smokescreen and Sideswipe at less than retail recently, thanks to Paul053
- WST Convoy trailer - made a profit as bought in a lot, which I largely sold on at way more than I paid
- WST Soundwave - same lot as Convoy trailer, so profit again
- WST Red Bumblebee - as with Soundwave and Convoy trailer
- Movie Leader Brawl - less than UK shelfprice, thanks to Clay, and a perfect Movieverse figure
- Complete set of LOC Seekers (bar the new DOTM Starscream), all at around normal Legends retail price or less (except for SDCC Skywarp, who was still quite cheap, and Botcon Ramjet who was a bit pricier, but way less than people currently shell out for him)

That's stuff just straight off the top of my head. There's more no doubt.

However, ROTF Leader Jetfire at £17 still doesn't make the list. He is a poor figure, and that's not bitchiness - that's just a fact.

:p

Looking back at the thread so far, it looks very much as if the key to a happy transaction / Transformers collection is through working with other folks on the forum! Not a bad finding.

:lol:

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Check out my new sale thread now!

Also items on eBay.
Paul053

Post by Paul053 »

Cliffjumper wrote:- Classics Bumblebee - real work went into this one.
Many times you have mentioned this guy. :) And because of your comments before and then, somehow he always has a special place in my collection. Mine is Henkei version, though.
numbat wrote:Looking back at the thread so far, it looks very much as if the key to a happy transaction / Transformers collection is through working with other folks on the forum! Not a bad finding.
Guess true. Because the first couple things that popped out of my head are those deals with you especially on that drunk big fella.
Hound

Post by Hound »

Fortress Maximus, Complete and in really nice shape. Took awhile and a lot of money but I did it.
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

Let's see.....

- My 110% complete G1 Jetfire. He's all there, including the gun clip and the cockpit shield from a Bandai Macross Skull 1.

- BotCon '05 Ironhide.

- G1 Bludgeon

- G1 Nightbeat

- Managing to find a Henkei Hound with Ravage for roughly the price of a regular MISB Universe Hound

- Finally having all of the Seekers that share the same mold
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Typically I've been happy with almost everything in my collection. I enjoy hunting at retail, and it's even better when I find things. Somehow it all adds up to giving me some excitement. I especially reveled in finding Classics figs in random stores a couple years after they were produced...

Classics Ultra Magnus & Skywarp - one of the few TFs I've auctioned for on eBay, and I'm glad I got it MISB. Not too expensive either.

Classics Bumblebee - Another eBay find. Good price too.

Generations Wheeljack, Warpath, Thundercracker - On a random trip to Wal-Mart on my way into work, I found all three at the same time. And that store rarely stocks TFs!

Energon Shockwave - Sure he's got a really big stupid arm that doesn't bend, but he still looks nice in my Classics collection. Got him courtesy of Clay.

Classics Seekers - I managed to completely fill all the Classics/Universe/Generations seekers at 5 of 7 at retail. Skywarp as listed above and Thrust through HTS (though later he warmed retail shelves all around me :wall:)

Classics Mirage, Rodimus, Grimlock, Ramjet, Cliffjumper - Holy crap I randomly found these guys (at the same time) at a store called The Anderson's in Ohio. Mind you this store is mostly a home improvement and grocery store, though they have a small toy section. That was one hell of a haul!
Firestrider57
Protoform

Post by Firestrider57 »

1. First Strike Optimus Prime (2007)-- Still my favorite Prime , even better than '84 G1. My opinion would change if I could only secure the Classics Voyager.
2. ROTF Megatron-- This is a real work of art! It has awesome detail and quite a lot of articulation.
3.Classics 2.0 Prowl and Sunstreaker-- reestablishing (for the second time ) my Autobot car collection with these two figures. The rest of the 2008 Autobots would follow, until finally I would buy Red Alert, who would complete the "Lambo" force.
4. Hunt for the Decepticons Ironhide-- The last Ironhide I will probably secure. I promply replaced Classics 2.0 Ironhide because of the superior paint job.
5. Battle in Space two-pack-- the real reason was to get Rodimus back, but I'll gladly accept Cyclonus and Nightstick on the side.
6. Getting my first DOTM figure-- Powerglide, a must have!
7. Obtaining the first "Conehead" in my collection-- Generations Thrust.
8. Obtaining a deluxe G2 Optimus Prime to counter my Galvatron. Looks great next to Classics 2.0 Roadbuster.
burnitall
Protoform

Post by burnitall »

My classics/generations/universe figures, because they're mostly pretty good.
MP Prime
MP Grimlock
ROTF Prime
DOTM Sentinel Prime
G1 Devastator
electro girl

Post by electro girl »

Any car boot or charity shop find. It makes me feel all savvy and wise like I've just hunted something down and not just stubled upon some chump naive to the value of their grown up kids old toys. In this manner I've aquired G2 Megatron, G1 Scorponok, BW Megatron, BW Cheetor, BW Insecticon and Armada Unicron amongst others.
-------------------------
A Chinese cartoon where the robots turn into blingwads!
Auntie Slag
Custom Title: Satisfaction guaranteed!

Post by Auntie Slag »

Heinrad wrote:...- My 110% complete G1 Jetfire. He's all there, including the gun clip and the cockpit shield from a Bandai Macross Skull 1.
Where does that gunclip go? I never figured out what you're supposed to affix it to. As in, you'd slot the gun in, but the clip never really fit on his wrist, did it? I bet I'm missing something really obvious.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Cliffjumper wrote:- Alternators Smokescreen, and to a lesser extent Silverstreak depending on mood - again, just a near-perfect figure top to bottom.
I agree with you on this. I pulled my Alternators out of storage recently after not looking at them for a couple years because I don't have much space for Transformers. These two guys, plus Skids, were the only ones that I had much time for. The fact that they replicate the characters' traditional robot modes and can almost pass for simple model cars in alt-mode makes me really happy. Most of the other Alternators are decent enough figures in their own right, but Sideswipe or Tracks or Prowl are just random robots with familiar heads slapped on, and that loses a lot of the charm that the Subarus had going for them.
Heinrad wrote:G1 Bludgeon
Me too. He's one of the few toys I played with heavily as a kid who survived without any battle scars, so he'll always have a special place in my collection. It doesn't hurt that he's one of my favourite characters, either.

And the Classics-themed stuff in general -- even though a lot of the toys from the first series have lost their lustre to me, and even though Universe and Generations have had their fair share of duds. The simple fact that I can walk into a retail store and impulse buy a brand-new Thunderwing or Dirge or Skullgrin twenty years after the fact makes me smile, even when the figures themselves aren't the best. The fact that characters other than the ten or so 'big names' are getting this sort of attention -- and that it's going to continue for the foreseeable future -- still seems sort of surreal even though I've got somewhere close to fifty of the buggers now.

The best example of the bunch is probably Generations Darkmount. I still find it hard to believe that a Straxus toy exists. And that it isn't a random redeco of a Cybertron toy, but a new mold designed specifically to be Straxus. Until I finally had that toy in hand, I don't think it had quite sunk in that Transformers had 'arrived' -- that it had stopped being a minor nostalgia property and become a part of pop culture bedrock like Star Wars or the DC/Marvel superheroes -- and that it was now worth Hasbro's while to plumb the depths of the franchise's history and make toys of people like Straxus for no other reason that because the fanbase will eat it up.

[EDIT]Forgot to mention: 2010 Voyager Battle Blades Prime. I never would have thought they'd be able to make a Movie-accurate Optimus at any size smaller than the Leader, but somehow they did it. A wonderful toy in it's own right, it fits in nicely alongside the Deluxes and Voyagers that make up the bulk of my Movieverse toys. The Movies have pushed toy design forward after a decade or more of stagnation after the Beast Wars innovations, and this Prime is a perfect example of how and why.

But the best part is how I got him. I missed out on him when he came out because I was more interested in Generations, and didn't give him much thought until DOTM rolled around and I decided I wanted Movie-accurate toys for the main cast. A few days before I'd found a Zellers gift card that had nearly expired, and since Zellers is bad for having a lot of old product on the shelves I decided on a lark to hit a few and see if I could find a Prime. Not only did I find a single one at the first store I went to, but he was on clearance to make space for the DOTM figures -- so the gift card covered both him and DOTM Ratchet. In my books, that was a good day.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

I like my Universe repaints.. the RiD build team cast as Devastator are ace, as is the Universe Big Convoy repaint Nemesis Prime. Absolutely love it. The latter in particular was a big want of mine since I laid eyes on it, and finally got a hold of one last year. A superb toy.

Beast Wars Transmetal II Megatron - maybe because his Dragon mode madew such an impact on me in the TV show, and this figure, along with a lot of the Transmetal II toys never surfaced in the UK making his eventual acquisition through the magic of ebay a real joy. The toy has its flaws, but the beast mode is fantastic with its wings spread.

I'll go for Soundwave and his cassettes too, great little figures complimented by their grim looking master! (Soundblaster is awesome too!)

Although they are silly over priced baubles, I like my E-Hobby repaints too (with the possible exception of Sunstorm who just hurts my eyes) and have a few of them and recently got the mini-bots. Huffer looks cool in black and red! Those are probably the most showy-offy parts of my collection now, along with the glorious fan club Seacons.

I don't have many of Binaltech/ Alternators but really like Alert the police car from the Asterisk line. The Subaru mould is fantastic and looks lovely and crisp in black, white and red.

Hmm...I love all the Micromasters I've managed to pick up which are all a great bunch of toys and put the crappy Minicons to shame.

I also am very pleased to own the original Constructicons. Excellent little figures, beatiful alt modes, nicely designed with an impressive - if fragile - combined form.

I like the Beast Machines Vehicons simply for the imaginative designs and quality of the moulds/ figures.

I'm also well pleased with the Animated figures i bought, (just the Decepticons I could lay my hands on) which are, a few qc issues aside, an excellent translation of those very stylised forms into toys.
Summerhayes

Post by Summerhayes »

Masterpiece Optimus is, and probably always will be, my absolute favourite. Perfect cartoon replica, chunky die-cast construction, loads of gimicks, his gun . . . The absolute business.

Optimus Primal and BW Megatron are both pretty chill.
I like bears.
The Doctor

Post by The Doctor »

Buying 20th anni Prime and Cybertron Primus.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Tetsuro
Protoform
Custom Title: Poe Dameron did nothing wrong

Post by Tetsuro »

Well, I know the G1 Galvatron reissue is one. One of my favourite characters and the toy is pretty cool too.

The original Scorponok probably counts too. I'm still in the process of completing it, but he's been one of my favourites as well ever since I was a kid so it doesn't matter if he's a bit blocky. And I got him for reasonably low price too.

Star Convoy counts solely on the benefit of being both my first Optimus Prime toy as well as my first G1 reissue.
Megatrons Cannon

Post by Megatrons Cannon »

100% Completing my Matsushiro Jetfire
G1 Megatron 100%(last piece is in the mail)
MP-5 Megatron with extra Add-ons
Hasbro version of MP Grimlock
MP Prime
Decepticon Spike

Post by Decepticon Spike »

The crown(s) of my collection is my complete G1 Soundwave, which I've had since I was a kid. Had to replace a few parts over the years, but i still have him. My other is my G1 Optimus (1984 issue). All I need is the hose and the gas handle and he'll be complete. I've tempted to open my reissue just to use those pieces.
Castor235
Protoform

Post by Castor235 »

One of my pride and joys would have to be G1 snapdragon. I got complete from Botcon '03 at 20 bucks simply because I went around to the various tables and dug for a few hours through the bargain boxes. The icing on the cake was when I got him home. I found that the body (Which came with his headmaster already on him) Had a second headmaster snuggled away in the cockpit.
Life should be awsome everyday all of the time!