So my nephew wants a Bumblebee...

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Warcry

So my nephew wants a Bumblebee...

Post by Warcry »

I was talking to my sister the other day, and she was telling me that her four year old is starting to get interested in Transformers. In particular, he wants a Bumblebee. He hasn't seen any of the movies, she says, so I'm not sure entirely which Bumblebee we're talking about. He could have been introduced to MovieBee by some of his friends, he could have seen some of TF:Prime and my sister has Teletoon Retro on all the time so he could even be in love with G1 Bumblebee.

Anyway, she decided that I'd be the perfect person to find one for him. I can't imagine why. ;)

My nephew is able to transform some of my bigger, blockier Transformers on his own (he's especially fond of Trypticon) but nothing more complex than that. And I'm not much of a Bumblebee connoisseur myself. I know there's about a billion different versions of the guy, but I'm not sure what's available or how complex the individual toys are.

He's got a couple of Activators, but I don't think he's particularly fond of the ones he's already got so I probably won't get him another.

It certainly seems to me that most of the Movie Bumblebees are too complex for someone his age. Certainly the one I own (Battle Blade Bumblebee) is. Are any of the DOTM toys simpler, or would I basically have to stick with Cyberverse if I was going to get him a Movie Bumblebee? He loves Hot Wheels and stuff like that, so Cyberverse would probably go over well and I could get a random Decepticon for Bumblebee to fight.

And what about TF:Prime Bumblebee? I may be able to scare one up but I've got no idea if it's even a good toy, let alone whether it'd be good for a youngster like him.

Reveal the Shield Bumblebee he could handle. And I should still be able to dig one up from one of the discount stores that were selling him. My gut tells me that he's probably thinking of the modern Bumblebee more than the original one, though.

If any of you with a big pile of Bumblebees and/or experience buying toys for kids his age would like to help me out, I'd appreciate it big time!
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

I'd actually go for the RTS one - simple, fun, and a passable look-a-like (it also seems to have replaced the brittle-feeling chest of the Classics version with a slightly more rubbery compound). The Cyberverse Bumblebee is, IIRC, simply the RotF Legends one, which is mediocre.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Warcry wrote:
If any of you with a big pile of Bumblebees and/or experience buying toys for kids his age would like to help me out, I'd appreciate it big time!
The latter part is the tricky bit. You want something that'll challenge him without frustrating him. I agree with Cliffy that the Classics mold should be something nice that he can work toward if he can't do it right away.

If he's set on a movie Bumblebee, they're not all as complicated as the one you mentioned, but none of them really strike me as simple enough for a four year old. The original version of the concept camaro mold is probably the most straightforward, and you can get it now as walmart exclusive (it's the one with the racing decals and "84" on the top).

I do not know how simple the leader bumblebee is. The legends/cyberverse version with the carrier playset and some other cyberverse figures could be a winner, though.
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

If you decide to go the RTS route and need help finding one, let me know. I got a spare one on a barter for a pair of boots. And my local TJ Maxx just opened up a new case of RTS Bumblebee, Perceptor, and Laser Prime.
numbat

Post by numbat »

I'd recommend the Classics mold figure, as it's not too complicated and the parts are all quite big and forgiving.

The first Movie Deluxe Classic '74 Camaro is also nice and easy - probably easier than the Classics figure, but perhaps not so popular a look and probably difficult to get hold of now.

The first Movie Deluxe Concept Camaro mold is probably the easiest of the Concept Camaro Movieverse Bees, but is considerably more fiddly and has much smaller parts to adjust. As Clay says, it's available just now as the DOTM racing Walmart exclusive (which are shelfwarming Sainsbury's over here).

If it doesn't have to be a Deluxe, then the Legends Class / Cyberverse Legion mold (ROTF and DOTM) are very easy and look quite good.

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Check out my new sale thread now!

Also items on eBay.
Paul053

Post by Paul053 »

I will recommend RTS Bee as well. Otherwise the ROTF Activator Bee is a very good choice.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Yeh, I'd agree most of the concept 'Bees are just a little bit too tricky for a four year-old - often lining up the shoulders just right and then the car foof on the return can take a knack and a bit of practice a very young kid might find a bit frustrating. Certainly pissed me off first few times anyway.
Rookwise
Protoform

Post by Rookwise »

What about the Rescue Heroes Bumblebee?
My 3 year old daughter has it along with Optimus Prime, Heatwave and their human companions. She's also got bumper battlers BB from tf animated and dotm gobots BB.
She also likes my legends classics bb and has lots of the old playskool gobot transformers.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Thanks, guys!
Rookwise wrote:What about the Rescue Heroes Bumblebee?
I have no idea what this is, which (probably) means that I won't be able to find it anywhere locally. I'll have to take a look, though.

Sounds like RTS Bumblebee is the odds-on favourite here, which is sort of what I'd expected. I agree with you guys that he's probably the best Deluxe Bumblebee to survive being played with by a little kid. Right now I'm debating whether to get one of these, or to go Cyberverse (or Legends) and getting him a bad guy to beat up on too.
Rookwise
Protoform

Post by Rookwise »

The Rescue Heroes Transformers are made by Playskool. Came out in the usa in August. Over here in the uk i can only find them in the Early Learning Centre stores. Seem quite straightforward transformation and the companions come with a vehicle/equipment that converts into an accessory for the robot.
Theres also bumblebee and optimus prime playsets and large non transforming electronic versions of the characters. Iirc age is 3+
burnitall
Protoform

Post by burnitall »

Rookwise wrote:The Rescue Heroes Transformers are made by Playskool. Came out in the usa in August. Over here in the uk i can only find them in the Early Learning Centre stores. Seem quite straightforward transformation and the companions come with a vehicle/equipment that converts into an accessory for the robot.
Theres also bumblebee and optimus prime playsets and large non transforming electronic versions of the characters. Iirc age is 3+
Yes, Rescue Bots seem to be the best bet for a 4 year old. I got a few of the smaller ones, including Bumblebee, for my nephews.
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

The Rescue Bots are usually in the Playskool aisle instead of near the older kid Transformers. I just stumbled across them a few days ago, and they look pretty neat for that age.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Again RTS 'bee or the Playskool Rescue Heroes figure would be the best bet.

The movie deluxe 'bees are too fiddly - the '74 Camaro has that wretched auto morph that's easily broken, ROTF bee whilst great (in my humble opinion) is a mess of springs and small parts. There is Cannon Bumblebee, but he's rubbish.Battle Blade 'bee is a bit fiddly and his head irritatingly pops off switching back to vehicle mode and the HFTD leader is probably -without being rude- a bit too expensive for something that's likely to be properly played with. I've not any other 'bees myself, the legends toys look rubbish and Cyberverse really doesn't do it for me.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

No no no, the rule is an an old fuddy duddy buying a kid a toy you have to get it embarrassingly wrong. He wants a Bumblebee, you get him a Rubix Cube and claim you can't tell the difference.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Skyquake87 wrote:the HFTD leader is probably -without being rude- a bit too expensive for something that's likely to be properly played with.
Oh, I totally agree. Unless the toy is a giant, nigh-invincible brick like the Powermaster Optimus I had as a kid, I could never see spending that much money on a toy that'll probably be destroyed in a couple years' time if the kid actually enjoys it.
inflatable dalek wrote:No no no, the rule is an an old fuddy duddy buying a kid a toy you have to get it embarrassingly wrong. He wants a Bumblebee, you get him a Rubix Cube and claim you can't tell the difference.
I don't think that kicks in until you turn 30, does it? I've still got a few good years left.

I've actually manage to avoid that for the most part. My nephew is a stereotypical little boy who loves cars and trucks and stuff, and my older niece is a bit of a tomboy and always asks for stuff like Lego and board games. The younger niece is harder to buy for because she's a girly-girl, but that's one of the many things wives are useful for. ;)

I found the Rescue Bots stuff and looked it over, but the only Bumblebee I could find was the playset. Sadly I don't think he'd much like either the playset or the robot, because he's got a lot of similar-looking toys that I almost never see him playing with. He likes Hot Wheels and other small cars more, which eventually convinced me to go with the Cyberverse Bumblebee. It's definitely not the greatest toy, but it's simple and looks way more likely to pop apart at the ball joints than break outright when he's rough with it. Not so sure about the Motormaster-coloured Cyberverse Megatron redeco it came packed with (sidenote: I'd buy the shit out of Voyager Megs if they released it in those colours. Or, hell, any colours other than flat grey) but the two-pack was on sale for 30% off so I figured, why not?

Thanks for helping me out, guys. :)
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

The Animated Activators one is probably about the right complexity?
Tetsuro
Protoform
Custom Title: Poe Dameron did nothing wrong

Post by Tetsuro »

Get him the G1 Minibot. :D
horizon
Protoform

Post by horizon »

About Bumblebee. Isn't the new MechTech Bumblebee version the same design as the battle blades Bumblebee? Aside of new arm/hand weapons?