Generations/Fall of Cybertron Toys

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

I'm surprised these guys weren't shown at Botcon. Or maybe they were? Kickback is the only one I remember hearing about in the convention reports.

Kickback looks pretty cool. A nice blend of elements from his G1 design with the more 'monstrous' appearance that Insecticons have in some of the other modern TF media. I like it, even though it may fit in better with Prime toys than Generations. I hope they make the other two Insecticons in this style and redeco him into Ransack (er, I think...the grasshopper Deluxe Insecticon, whichever one that was).

Magnus and Fireflight work surprisingly well, considering the base molds look nothing like them. Not great, but well enough to actually look like who they're meant to be.

Sideswipe has the movie character's chest design. That's interesting. I can see why they'd do that, but he really doesn't look anything like Sideswipe. Though the same can be said for most of the WFC designs.

Starscream looks just awful. He's a faithful rendition of the video game design but the video game design looks awful so I'm not sure what people see in him.
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

I haven't really been following the FOC toys news ever since they revealed Shockwave and Bruticus, and I've convinced my hurting wallet that I'd only get Shockwave... but KICKBACK WOO!

Looking at the images... I think I'll get Magnus, just to get a functional Deluxe Class Magnus. Fireflight looks like an ace toy, but it doesn't look a thing like Fireflight. Not unless he pinched Chromedome's head.

I actually think that Sideswipe looks quite awful, but not as bad as the stilted Starscream.

Why is Brawl lime green? Swindle's also a shade lighter than what we saw earlier. Blast Off's now blue instead of maroon-brown, and Vortex has been turned into a lollipop. Which leaves only Onslaught with proper colours, and he doesn't even look like Onslaught.
Jaynz
Custom Title: RIP - see pixelsagas.com

Post by Jaynz »

Ayup, Hasbro managed to convince me not to get Bruticus, my favorite combining team, due to this sheer ineptitude. I'll have to see how much the SDCC will cost or the inevitable Takara recolor will look before I decide just to give it a pass completely.

Honestly, probably the latter... I'll try to find an encore or original instead. :P
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Finally some throwback toys pandering to my childhood!

For strictly nostalgic purposes, I need to own that Swindle.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Do we know when the toys are expected to be released?
Destruction is my specialty
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

I think the first wave (Prime/Jazz/Shockwave) is supposed to show up around August/September some time, so the Combaticons would probably be a couple months after that. The third wave is apparently scheduled for early 2013 (though that's often translated to 'Christmas' in past years), though I don't think we know which of the later toys are going to be in which waves yet.
iaconhub2005
Protoform

Post by iaconhub2005 »

I'm hoping to we see FOC figures soon. With no GIJoe Retaliation toys either (unless you were lucky to find some), I'm going through withdrawl!
optimusskids
Protoform

Post by optimusskids »

Sideswipe and Fireflight remind me more of Strafe and Lightspeed at least in vehicle mode.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Really? Because until they announced Fireflight I was really expecting the Shockwave redeco to turn out to be Scattershot, not Strafe. The alt-mode is so perfect for him that I'm still not sure what made them think 'Aerialbot'.
optimusskids
Protoform

Post by optimusskids »

Teach me to post in a hurry I meant Scattershot.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Thanks Warcry, maybe you or someone else can tell me if we are getting any of the Dinobots? I figure we should at least get Grimlock, but I would also like proper toys of the other four.
Destruction is my specialty
tahukanuva
Custom Title: Human After All

Post by tahukanuva »

Nothing's been confirmed yet, but considering his prominence in the advertising and the fact that the voyager assortment currently consists of two Soundwaves, I'd say that Grimlock at least is basically inevitable.
borg72

Post by borg72 »

pre-orders (pictureless) went up for G2 FoC Bruticus on Amazon this morning, sold out by 2pm (est). possible that more pre-orders might be made available at some point, so worth keeping an eye on the listing if you're interested. $60, which is pretty cheap. also: 52GBP to the UK.

(also listing DOTM jetwing optimus prime for $104 i think)

EDIT: bruticus listing now has pictures, with gloriously large G2 faction symbols
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

My TRU had these in today when I stopped by. I was very underwhelmed, especially at $15. They look tiny and kind of clunky. Shockwave looked pretty cool in robot mode, but nothing spectacular. Jazz looks hollow and flimsy, and Optimus looks like a knock off of the titanium one they released a while back. If the price goes down, I'd probably get Shockwave, but I doubt I'll pick up any of these early figures at regular price.
I can't remember the last time I saw a brand new line of TFs and didn't pick up at least one. Perhaps the spell has been broken!
praetorian
Protoform

Post by praetorian »

Notabot wrote:My TRU had these in today when I stopped by.
Is this the one in Sioux Falls? I stopped there on Saturday, but didn't see anything but dusty DOtM and some Prime toys. $15 is still a stretch for deluxe-sized figures in my mind anyway...It's a shame because I was excited for this line too.
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

Indeed it is. Didn't realize you were from the SD area.
praetorian
Protoform

Post by praetorian »

NW Iowa. About an hour and a half away. I'm hoping to get up there soon, but I'm not as eager now to see this line up and close.
praetorian
Protoform

Post by praetorian »

Pre-order of G2 Bruticus up (again) at Amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007MC ... PDKIKX0DER

Apparently BBTS is matching this.
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

Generations, etc reveals at SDCC, courtesy of TFW 2005.

Some new (I think, I'm not the expert here), but mostly repaints -- in particular a Wreckers combiner...? Whirl, Twin Twist, Topspin, Roadbuster and Impactor. Their combined form: Ruination.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Thanks for the link, ziggy! Indeed, some new stuff there.

Is that a Prime Wheeljack in Slicer colours I see in there? That's so perfect I was just wondering why it didn't exist already, instead of that random yellow-and-orange thing with a random Stunticon name. BBTS-exclusive, if I'm reading it right? Might have to get that one...I really like the Prime Wheeljack mold.

The fact that we've yet to see anything past Wave 1 of Prime toys in Canada has soured me on that line so, so much, but that Voyager Magnus still caught my eye. I'd love to get one, assuming distribution will allow it.

G2 Bruticus (and his packaging even moreso) are giving me a huge nostalgia rush. How much time did I stand in the store staring at G2 toys with that exact package design? Don't think I'm actually interested in owning it, though. A shame I can't buy Swindle on his own, since he's the Combaticon I actually managed to get as a kid. In spite of the figure looking nothing like Swindle, that absurd colour scheme pushes all the right buttons with me.

The "Wreckers" combiner...really? They'll spring for new heads, but can't be bothered to paint anyone bar Roadbuster their proper colours? Just...why bother? They could be anyone.

Also, having a Wreckers combiner without Rotorstorm totally misses the point.

Soundwave, Blaster and all of their "tapes" except for Ramhorn and the birds look terrible.

Still not impressed by any of the Deluxes beyond Shockwave, Fireflight, Brawl and Kickback. Prime and Jazz in particular look incredibly bad (Sideswipe and Magnus look better but still not good enough that I'd want to buy them) though I'm not sure how they managed to take the same design that went into WFC Prime and come out of it with a toy that's even worse than the first one. I'm not a big fan of Cybertronian alt-modes to start with and I like High Moon's take on them even less than Dreamwave's, so maybe that's colouring things a bit. But just like the War For Cybertron toys that preceded them, most of these figures leave a bad taste in my mouth.

Maybe it's just the angle, but Voyager Grimlock looks unbelievably bad in dino mode. I'm not exactly sold on the robot mode either. He just seems so...bare and undetailed, like an Animated toy.

Not too impressed overall. :( Still hyped for Shockwave, but this dashes my hopes that he's going to be followed by much else I'll want to buy. Hopefully they'll get back to making toys that actually transform into something once the video game fad has passed.