MP Lambor/Sideswipe

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

I'm doing this wrong, aren't I? I should be demanding the real thing for the knockoff price, shouldn't I?
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

By UK standards, as long as you get in a preorder at HLJ or Anime Export, price before shipping is around 30 to 35 GBP.
Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Before shipping... before customs... before getting on the magic roulette wheel of Takara quality control (seriously, I've had fewer problems with Chinese bootleggers)...
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

How much are customs for that, actually?

I have had this idea for some time now, to organize bulk European orders to my house in Greece [where customs are almost non existent] and ship them out to UK/other European addresses if the cost is worth it to other people.

Though that might take some time to organize since I'm in the UK now...
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Knightdramon wrote:How much are customs for that, actually?
~£25 usually. Not a problem with dodgy HK sellers who mark as gift worth £10; big problem with legit businesses; I think every HLJ order I've ever done's been caught, I just started factoring it in in the end.
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

Hmmm...so my idea could be profitable enough to work.

Will try to figure out the logistics, but if customs are around 25 pounds on top of shipping and all that, then it is cheaper to pay for (discounted, since I'll have things in my orders as well] shipping to Greece and then to UK.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Okay, it has arrived.

On the figure - very good, which was a pleasant surprise (no offence, but some of you think Generations figures are good). Transformation isn't over-fussy, size is good, alt mode looks like an actual car (paying money for other people's ideas has upsides, Takara!), good range of poses, nice extras, some inventive little bits of engineering. Only flaw is the shoulders - am I doing something wrong or do they just float there half an inch back from where they're meant to be?

On the KO - well, you can tell it's a high-end KO. Paint's a bit feely and doesn't feel hugely robust. Lambo badge is just a smudge (though at first glance a spare from the G1 version would cover nicely) and the text on the rear is both dicey and spelt wrong (though that I can personally give or take). Seems well-enough made; felt a bit fragile first time around (too stiff) but that probably goes for the TakaraTomyTackyTakeaway version. Basically the obvious trade-off for paying half price. Also had the Amazon chrome piledrivers (well, copies thereof) included.

Seriously tempted by one of the dodgy Red Alerts now.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Cliffjumper wrote:(no offence, but some of you think Generations figures are good).
At least you respect our opinions.

Never really felt the shoulders were off on mine, and the official one is surprisingly sturdy (more at the Grimlock end than the DEAR GOD WHAT HAVE THEY DONE TO MEGATRON?!?!?!?! side). Still, for the price looks like you got a bargain.

And answer your PM's once in a while!
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
The Reverend

Post by The Reverend »

Dunno if anyone's seen it yet, but BBTS' text on their site says that the second production run of MP Sideswipe (March) "the QC issues present in the initial release of MP-12 should be resolved for this production run."

Good news if you hadn't gotten it yet, but its kind of annoying that you never know if you should plunk down for an MP when it gets released.
numbat

Post by numbat »

What QC issues? Thankfully mine is perfect.

But, yeah, would be nice if you were pretty much guarunteed a functional MP figure on first release: that's why I've never bought Rodimus, just too risky!

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Check out my new sale thread now!

Also items on eBay.
The Reverend

Post by The Reverend »

As I recall, paint app and assembly issues (panels not fitting together, misassembled hips...)
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

The only QC issues present on the first runs were some paint overspray on various parts, or "paint bubbles that totally ruin the figure 1mm below the read fender".

My Sideswipe is actually much tighter than the Red Alert I have [both first run japanese releases].

Both have looser joints than the uber stiff Datsun mould.