2014 Japan-exclusive toys: Masterpiece, Generations, etc

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Unicron

Post by Unicron »

News item with pics of the Bluestreak and some new pics of MP Magnus

I'm continuing to dig MP Magnus, enough to have pre-ordered him.
Some useful new details in the Magnus pics: Purple parts apparently indicate what will be chromed, prototypes of the Spike and Daniel mini-figs, what appears to be an alternate set of hands which would be more able to handle a Matrix, alternate face for Magnus (looks to be his blown up by the Sweeps face from the movie).
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

Haven't been as hyped up for Magnus as I have been for any other figure. Thanks to the last 2+ years of IDW comics, Magnus has gone from simply "meh" to favourite character, and this toy seems to pull all stops.

There's enough to like and homage both toy and cartoon/comics. I need this NOW.
Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

My "IDW comics" bit of a shelf is CHUG scale, so I'm happy with the 3P armour, but it's nice that recent media's helped rehabilitate the character to the extent a large MP version and big 3P versions are sustainable.
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

Heh, my "IDW" shelf has been MP Rodimus, Red Alert and Smokescreen for over 5 months now. Wildly out of scale with each other [at least Rodimus]...but Magnus will fix all that up.

And then when Star Sabre shows up next year...and stays on the "enemies" side...that will be glorious.
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

Also, interestingly enough [taken from the thread at tfw]

Hasui wanted Magnus to be a white Prime with armour. Hasui had designed that.

Kobayashi [MP01-09 and Alternity designer] wanted to keep the cost of the release down and made the design for an integrated "one piece" transformation.

So MP22 Magnus is more or less the first MP both major designers had a hand in creating.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Unicron

Post by Unicron »

Looks real nice. Think I might have to order one up at somepoint.
The only thing I'm not entirely liking on him is that shoulder cannon thing. Looks a little too bulky and blunt, but that's probably because it's functional so I'll let it slide.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Mega Drive (Sega Genesis) Megatron is up for pre order. Near as I can tell, it's not a functioning console (unlike the various Device Label figures were). It's just a Megatron that turns into a Genesis. How... timely? Wouldn't a Playstation or Wii be more appropriate?
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

Awesome. He's both outdated and ugly. And expensive too? Suh-weet! On the plus side, you can get games for him at pawn shops for only a dollar!
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Clay wrote:He's pretty.
Nowhere near as nice as the Classics version. How are they going to get Tracks out of that mould?
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

Better, large scan of roughly 80% of WJ's TF scheme [some steps obviously missing].

Trademark Hasui, much like ROTF HA Jazz, MP Sideswipe and Prowl---every damn centimetre of the car mode is packed with parts for the robot mode.

Very impressive.
Attachments
wj-transform.jpg
another tf fan

Post by another tf fan »

Wheeljack looks great, and I am very excited for his release.

I have pre-orders in for MP BB & MP Magnus, and while I am looking forward to seeing 'Bee in person it isn't looking as "masterpiecey" as Magnus in the photos.

It seems as the G1 Autobot cars are perfectly suited for this scale and they have progressively gotton better from Sideswipe, to Prowl and on to Wheeljack.

The scale change for 'Bee is less successful.
Come on and wind me up.
Osku
Protoform

Post by Osku »

OK. Prowl arrived and I'm sold. Shame that the launchers aren't part of the figure, can't justify paying the prices on ebay. :/

Recommendations for preorder place for Wheeljack? Notice, shipping to Europe. HLJ?
Denyer wrote:Steeljaw and the orange bird aren't great, but having both the FoC Blaster and Soundmixer in hand I do kind of prefer the FoC headsculpt. However, Soundmixer scales very nicely with the original Classics Jetfire, who he's next to.
Both Soundmixer and Art Feather Goldbug seem to have long necks to allow better neck articulation. Took some time to get used to. I was surprised how much... more finished product Soundmixer was, especially as Goldbug isn't the first version of the mold. Goldbug's floppy chest is distracting.

Now I want a Mechanic figure to pose between Soundmixer and Goldbug. :o
http://tfarchive.com/comics/gallery.php?g2_itemId=427
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Base cost from UK suppliers is basically this --
http://www.omegalock.co.uk/product_info ... cts_id/194

-- so it probably depends on custom arrangements where you are, and whether it's worth keeping within the EU.

AF Goldbug the neck is a bit long, yeah, and noticeable because of the colour. I painted it with Sharpie, added a large metallic Autobot symbol to the chest, and it came out nicely. He is more of a display piece than a toy than the Classics version, I suppose, though.

Have just seen KO Bluestreak for about twenty quid shipped... it'll be interesting to see if the bootleggers bother with Wheeljack or BB/Cliffjumper, or have a crack at the obvious blue Bluestreak deco.

Quite cheap Prowl launchers -- http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271441814603
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

HLJ, Amiami [long since sold out], nipponyasan [sold out I think]. While it's still new and not KO, ebay from asia?

If I still was in Greece I could mass import a number of units and distribute them among us [very lax customs charges].

In the UK, still buying from HLJ. The 27 pounds before shipping HLJ price really worked me over.

Even with import tax and all that, I think the price for 2 cars shipped from Japan is still cheaper than local purchase.
Clay

Post by Clay »

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-new ... er-180328/

First look at Star Saber. It looks like... Star Saber!
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Yep, they did a pretty good job on his super mode, at least.

Some more pics from the same Japanese toy show, including in-person sightings of MP Wheeljack, Bumblebee and Magnus: http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-new ... on-180334/

Magnus looks pretty clunky from those angles.
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

Masterpieceblahblahblah but good lord that is an Optimus Primal! What is it and where can I have it?
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

If memory serves it's another reissue of the original Ultra Primal with show-accurate mods that first showed up on the 10th Anniversary/Reborn releases.
Rack 'n Ruin

Post by Rack 'n Ruin »

Some Masterpiece Prowl news: I had an email alert set up with TRU UK to tell me when the Prowl was in stock (don't judge me, I know it was listed at a terrible price!). Today I had an email to tell me the product is now discontinued. Make of that what you will...
Wreck and Rule!