Remembering that our old toys actually exist!

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Warcry

Re: Remembering that our old toys actually exist!

Post by Warcry » Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:33 am

I find that I enjoy my figures more when I mix and match, for sure. Just because a character gets a new toy doesn't mean they get a BETTER one, after all. And the more different lines and styles you mix together, the less anything looks out of place.

And also, honestly, the 80s line was a hodgepodge of mismatched figures from different lines from day one. And I liked that! The lack of uniformity in the G1 toys made the universe feel so much bigger to me when I was young, even if I wouldn't have been able to word it in such terms. I suppose people who only played with the first couple years' worth of toys and then aged out would have had a different experience than me. But I grew up with Thundercracker, Sinnertwin, Bludgeon and Skyquake all on the same team, Powermaster Optimus and the Targetmasters hanging out with second-hand Jumpstarters and '85 Minibots, Pretender Grimlock palling it up with G2 Slag, etc. Having Classics, TR, Siege and Third-Party stuff all hanging out together and just seems like the way Transformers has always been.

Clay

Post by Clay » Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:33 am

Ugh. This took a couple of hours. I color coded the shelves, lol. I know I can get a stronger and more distinct color vibe for each shelf going, but everything in there now was simply rearranged from that or another shelf. I... like it.

Denyer
Custom Title: Shooty Dog Thing

Post by Denyer » Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:40 pm

Neat. I'm still kind of OCD about not having the same character in the same display, but equally it's nice to have comparison shots. And there's some unusual pieces there -- is that a Japanese gum toy Piranacon? Who's the green Scoop redeco?

Got this one out the other day. It's a genuine Redbee but with the face plate from a KO MP BB cut and glued in (IIRC the red version disappointingly didn't have a battle mask and a pre-TF homage should absolutely have a face plate). It did as a Cliffjumper substitute for a while, and I'm getting a hankering to unpack the spray gun and do a Glyph in metallic blue, but I'd get another KO to potentially screw up for that. Since the other two uses of this mould I've already got aren't in a position to transform easily due to head mods this one's the desk toy.

It's particularly nice that these days you can get very similar figures in the main line for the (admittedly increasing) price of a deluxe.

https://i.imgur.com/xmsB0Zg.jpg

Warcry

Post by Warcry » Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:31 am

That looks fantastic. The facemask improves that toy a ton in any colour. I'm not even sure where my cartoon faces went.

I'm really surprised by how few repaints the good MP Bumblebee got. It's not particularly show-accurate or complex, but if you take it as the fancy Deluxe toy that it is, it's great.
Denyer wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:40 pm
It's particularly nice that these days you can get very similar figures in the main line for the (admittedly increasing) price of a deluxe.
Yes and no, for me. It's tough to get too excited for a "new" toy when it's 75% the same as one I've owned for five years. But on the other hand, it's so familiar that I know I won't be disappointed by Hubcap if I ever track him down.

The new Generations mold would make neat custom fodder, but with the state of Hasbro these days, I half-expect them to just make all the repaints themselves. Plus the construction of most Siege and Earthrise TFs is so unfriendly to disassembly that the MP might actually be easier to work with.

Denyer

Post by Denyer » Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:55 am

https://gear4geeks.co.uk/blog/2017/06/0 ... 21-review/

^ I'm not going to get chance to do anything with it for ages, but since there's a bit of cracking down on KOs I've ordered one of the oversized (and this is double the height) KBB MP 21+ ones. It won't fit with most things I've got being around MP-01 scale, if not bigger, but the re-designed elements might better suit partial deconstruction and repainting.

Plus die-cast.

Clay

Post by Clay » Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:43 pm

Denyer wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:40 pm
Neat. I'm still kind of OCD about not having the same character in the same display, but equally it's nice to have comparison shots. And there's some unusual pieces there -- is that a Japanese gum toy Piranacon? Who's the green Scoop redeco?
Here's the shelves individually: https://imgur.com/a/dOhMqtU

Yeah, that's the new Kabaya Piranacon. There was another one from 1988 or 89, but mine is the one that came out in ~2016. I believe they're separate molds and the original is actually a little smaller. None of the usual sites have much info on them. Wasn't expensive, though... maybe $30 for a box of eight when they came out? I got it from BBTS.

Green Scoop is Roadblock. Honestly, it's weird that they didn't have a Scrapper head ready to go as a premold considering the transformation and alternate mode are identical.

You can also see the KO Hulkie that arrived a week or so ago. After that came in, I ordered the KO CW Dev and KO Gravity Builder as well, so I'm gonna need to redo the shelves again. I do like the color concentrations though, so I'll work within that.

Denyer

Post by Denyer » Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:00 am

:up:

With the G2 Megatron talk I fished out RID Bludgeon -- this one's had the cannon shortened and in the second pic you can just see that the bellows piece has been retained (since it's necessary for the tank mode to not have a gaping hole) but plugged onto his back with a 3/4 Technic pin.

Great mould, just a shame it's as floppy as f*** in execution.

https://i.imgur.com/wkUSh42.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/eOQM5NX.jpg

Denyer

Post by Denyer » Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:47 pm

Denyer wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:55 am
Plus die-cast.
Don't think I'm going to touch this with customising as it's too nice. The yellow is a little more orange than the typically bad photo shows, and the figure's a great example of upscaling and better materials showing what the MP line could have been. Much prefer this older sculpt to the V2.

https://i.imgur.com/X6RMFtY.jpg

In other news, FOC Brawl and CW Ironhide showed up from Toy-Fu. Ironhide got a few minutes of retouching as Tote -- Dreamwave may have done more harm than good overall, but a profiles book was a good idea. The yellow stripe paint wasn't budging with rubbing alcohol or paint stripper, though.

Brawl is full of compromises and far too spindly to work as Brawl, but I have a soft spot for the mould and I should've kept one of the ones I had. I see some similarities with AM Charger in this shade of green -- imagine twin linked lascannons on the grav-tank setting fire to things and a stand-in rifle with incendiary shells, perhaps, the character was never more than a cipher -- and if I can dye some parts and paint others whilst keeping him transformable I will.

https://i.imgur.com/cJ3HXFu.jpg

Tantrum
Custom Title: Systems Analyst

Post by Tantrum » Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:50 pm

I saw a white Cybertron Vector Prime at a flea market yesterday. i didn't get it, but it did make me think of the gold repaint I bought at a yard sale many years ago, which had a misassembled right elbow. The elbow would bend backwards instead of forwards. I decided to try to fix it today. I got out my little screwdrivers, found which one I needed to take the screws out of the elbow. However, that wasn't enough to get anything apart.

I slid the shoulder armor off its pins. Then I realized that all I had to do was rotate the shoulder and elbow joints, and the elbow would work normally. I did that, snapped the shoulder armor back on, and he's fine. I put the screws (which never needed to come out in the first place) back in and that was it. 30 seconds of effort I put off for 10 years.

Denyer

Post by Denyer » Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:22 pm

Is it too early to wax nostalgic on Titans Return? I like figures that have added posing options because of their transformations, and Windblade being able to meditate is a nice one. The sword is a cast by the chap who I bought a repro Bludgeon gun+turret from, which was very kindly added to the order due to a bit of a delay.

https://i.imgur.com/WAbFnag.jpg