Remembering that our old toys actually exist!

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Unicron

Re: Remembering that our old toys actually exist!

Post by Unicron » Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:13 pm

All this talk of Misfire is reminding me I have him and a bunch of other Titans Return stuff still in it's packaging sitting in a box or two because I have nowhere to put them. I really need to go through that stuff and see what I have and if I can make room for it anywhere

Clay

Post by Clay » Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:37 am

Skyquake87 wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:38 pm
A lot of the toys I've had the most fun with over the last year have been things like Universe Countdown (I'm still staggered this guy clutters up ebay - he's a fantastic toy!) and some of the Energon figures I picked up. Rather undermines the point I was making, but chunky fun things like Towline (a sort of Ironhide homage) and Scorponok have reminded me how brilliant Transformers can be, when Hasbro are making fantastic stuff for kids and aren't so beholden to the noisy older bumberclarts in fandom.
Yeah, I know I've mentioned it before, but aside from the live action movies, Cybertron was really the last great wave of new characters and designs. That's not to say that everything was great, and a fair few of them lack the kind of articulation that we've gotten used to, but basically the whole line was new designs with little or no regard for homage.

As Denyer and Warcry have both stated, the Cyberverse line does this too, but it seems to have a different design ethos than the mainline stuff and gets ignored by folks like us (myself included).

Warcry

Post by Warcry » Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:44 pm

Skyquake87 wrote:
...I did the same...and then didn't care for him so much! So I've sold him. I don't know why, because I love Slugslinger's design. I guess it was a bit of retool/repaint fatigue.
I think if Slugslinger had come out first I'd be a lot more fond of him, but Triggerhappy was great and Misfire was basically perfect. Slugslinger's pretty good too, but "pretty good" felt a bit underwhelming when it shared a mold with the two best Generations Deluxes we'd gotten since 2010.
Skyquake87 wrote:
A lot of the toys I've had the most fun with over the last year have been things like Universe Countdown (I'm still staggered this guy clutters up ebay - he's a fantastic toy!) and some of the Energon figures I picked up. Rather undermines the point I was making, but chunky fun things like Towline (a sort of Ironhide homage) and Scorponok have reminded me how brilliant Transformers can be, when Hasbro are making fantastic stuff for kids and aren't so beholden to the noisy older bumberclarts in fandom.
Countdown never came out around these parts. If he's available on eBay for a decent price I should look him up. Always kinda wanted one of those.

I've definitely had more fun with the Beast-era and Prime figures that I've picked up in the last year than with most of the new releases. I think partly because they're different and surprising in a way that a toy of an 80s or 90s character done up to look like the TV show just can't be. But I also think it's because they do something beyond just transforming and posing. Too many modern Transformers feel like they're meant to be shelf-fodder rather than TOYS, so they look great and they pose great but they don't actually do anything fun. No gimmicks, no missile launchers or spring-loaded features or things like that. Out of WFC, only the Weaponizers/Modulators/Fossilizers have been all that much FUN, even if the regular figures are really pretty and technically impressive.
Unicron wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:13 pm
All this talk of Misfire is reminding me I have him and a bunch of other Titans Return stuff still in it's packaging sitting in a box or two because I have nowhere to put them. I really need to go through that stuff and see what I have and if I can make room for it anywhere
I've got a lot of time for TR stuff! Or the Deluxes and Legends, anyway...the Voyagers were all pretty wobbly and the Leaders were kind of hit or miss. The Headmaster gimmick really works out nicely as a line-wide play pattern, too. It's definitely worth at least making a bit of room for the better ones.
Clay wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:37 am
Yeah, I know I've mentioned it before, but aside from the live action movies, Cybertron was really the last great wave of new characters and designs.
Prime brought a ton of new designs and characters too! Even the ones that were reimaginings of classic characters were usually very different. Optimus, Megatron and Bumblebee were based on the movie designs and Shockwave was fairly G1-esque, but everyone else felt very distictive. And Beast Hunters in particular was pretty nuts.
Clay wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:37 am
As Denyer and Warcry have both stated, the Cyberverse line does this too, but it seems to have a different design ethos than the mainline stuff and gets ignored by folks like us (myself included).
Cyberverse is where Hasbro is willing to play with new designs, at least, but even then I'd say about 80% of it is G1/BW/etc. designs done up in the art style of the day, sort of like Animated was. RiD felt a lot more creative, with its cast of "vehicle to beast" Decepticons in particular. Though I think the problem with both is that the toylines just aren't up to "mainline" quality like Prime or Animated were. Bisk or Springload or Filch or Hammerbyte or Thunderhowl are awesome designs that never have (and likely never will) get decent-quality figures, because Hasbro decided it's okay to make the "kiddie" lines with substandard quality and lazy engineering (which, to the surprise of absolutely no one except for Brian Goldner, has ensured that I never see anyone under the age of 25 browsing Transformers toys anymore...).

Unicron

Post by Unicron » Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:04 pm

Warcry wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:44 pm
Unicron wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:13 pm
I've got a lot of time for TR stuff! Or the Deluxes and Legends, anyway...the Voyagers were all pretty wobbly and the Leaders were kind of hit or miss. The Headmaster gimmick really works out nicely as a line-wide play pattern, too. It's definitely worth at least making a bit of room for the better ones.
I've already had some parts of the line open and mixed in with the other stuff I have out currently. I just ran out of space to work with (and to a lesser extent time to make the room) and thus a good chunk of the line was sidelined.
I'm actually planning to hang a new shelf this week as part of a bigger room reorganization project so I should have the space to set things out finally. Shame it still won't let me properly display my most recent acquisition though.

Clay

Post by Clay » Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:08 am

Warcry wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:44 pm
Prime brought a ton of new designs and characters too! Even the ones that were reimaginings of classic characters were usually very different. Optimus, Megatron and Bumblebee were based on the movie designs and Shockwave was fairly G1-esque, but everyone else felt very distictive. And Beast Hunters in particular was pretty nuts.
Yeah, but with Animated and Prime, they were a mixture of new designs vs legacy designs translated to the style. Cybertron, taken as a whole, was basically all new.
Cyberverse is where Hasbro is willing to play with new designs, at least, but even then I'd say about 80% of it is G1/BW/etc. designs done up in the art style of the day, sort of like Animated was. RiD felt a lot more creative, with its cast of "vehicle to beast" Decepticons in particular.
Shows how much attention I pay. I was unaware that those are separate toy lines :o

Anyway, I got TFC Poseidon a week ago when it looked like the US was going to collapse into sectarian political violence! I figured that if the country was going to rend itself apart, I might as well have my fishies, dammit.

I've started to rearrange the shelves accordingly. I wanted to work in the Sharkticons I have on the bottom shelf, but there's no room left. I've also got a junker set of vintage G1 Seacons to put in with the reissue, but they smell like motor oil. For the curious, the shelf has the G1 reissue Seacons, Kabaya gum kit Seacons, Takara Generations selects, TFC Poseidon, and the full Kreon set, along with Sharkticon Megatron. linky

The shelf above it is the 1988 Decepticon Powermasters and Targetmasters, along with their Generations updates. linky

And here's the two together: linky

That's the bottom two shelves of the cabinet redone. Top three are probably going to be a Predacon shelf, Robotmasters, and something else I haven't decided yet. I know I've got to move the Devastators to the other cabinet because Toyworld Constructor won't fit in that one.

Unicron

Post by Unicron » Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:47 am

So... having added a 6ft stretch of shelving to a wall, I now have room to open and put out stuff I've had sitting around in boxes. Stuff that's been piling up since at least as far back as Fall 2017. I still need to figure out what gets priority for hitting the shelf, what gets skipped for now and (in a rare thing for me) what gets to stay in it's box.

And because I'm a madman, I went through and catalogued all the things I've been sitting on. I'm a little amazed at how big a list it is, especially as some stuff has made it on display since the pile started.
I would have thrown a copy of that list here, but after previewing it, tis a bit too long.