Remembering that our old toys actually exist!

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Neat. If you've got an original or felt like grabbing one of the knock-offs that have appeared over the years, what would the original Megatron fusion cannon look like on the MP? 'Cause it was oversized on the original as well...

http://i.imgur.com/iMPKJnP.jpg
numbat

Post by numbat »

That's a good idea... May look in to it if Takara don't get round to a new MP Megatron first.

I know the original had an oversized cannon - I had the G1 figure, and still have the WST one. I know it's necessary for the gun mode. I just think it is a bit unwieldy in robot mode... I imagine it is impossible to have a Megatron who turns in to an accurate P.38 and has a fusion cannon that looks like it jumped out of the cartoon. But I can dream...

The shoddy wobbly waist connection and the loose joints which can't take the weight of the cannon are probably higher on my priority list to find solutions for.

MP-5 does have (a great many) issues, but he's pretty impressive in a lot of ways too. If I can sort the major issues I may be able to love him again.

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Check out my new sale thread now!

Also items on eBay.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Denyer wrote:Neat. If you've got an original or felt like grabbing one of the knock-offs that have appeared over the years, what would the original Megatron fusion cannon look like on the MP? 'Cause it was oversized on the original as well...
Now that you mention that, I think I've seen it done and I'm pretty sure it did look better than the full-sized MP cannon did. But they might have needed an adapter to get it to attach.
numbat wrote:I imagine it is impossible to have a Megatron who turns in to an accurate P.38 and has a fusion cannon that looks like it jumped out of the cartoon. But I can dream...
You probably could, but it would involve some pretty complex engineering. Something to the effect of the outer shell of the gun's scope becoming a part of the robot's body, while the robot's smaller fusion cannon was hiding inside it. Honestly, I think any Megatron that was able to nail the Walther mode and the cartoon robot at the same time would have to be so complicated, with so many moving parts, it would make Rube Goldberg blush.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

The fusion cannon isn't oversized is it? That's what the gun it's based on (the Man From UNCLE prop) actually looks like.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

inflatable dalek wrote:The fusion cannon isn't oversized is it? That's what the gun it's based on (the Man From UNCLE prop) actually looks like.
http://hellinahandbasket.net/?p=1110
*shrug*
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

inflatable dalek wrote:The fusion cannon isn't oversized is it? That's what the gun it's based on (the Man From UNCLE prop) actually looks like.
It's the right size in gun mode, but it's usually been drawn smaller than that (and often with a different proportion of length to radius) in robot mode in the cartoon and comics.
numbat

Post by numbat »

Warcry wrote:It's the right size in gun mode, but it's usually been drawn smaller than that (and often with a different proportion of length to radius) in robot mode in the cartoon and comics.
What he said.

;)

(I realise the scope is the right scale to fit with the oversize gun mode proportions. It's the robot mode it is not in scale with, if you are going by the cartoon anyway.)
Warcry wrote:You probably could, but it would involve some pretty complex engineering. Something to the effect of the outer shell of the gun's scope becoming a part of the robot's body, while the robot's smaller fusion cannon was hiding inside it. Honestly, I think any Megatron that was able to nail the Walther mode and the cartoon robot at the same time would have to be so complicated, with so many moving parts, it would make Rube Goldberg blush.
Oh, I know it would be very difficult to incorporate a shrinking transformation in to the scope part, or find a way ti incorporate the scope in robot mode with an extra cannon part becoming revealed. I'd settle for an accessory I could swap on. You know, a big scope piece for gun mode, with an optional smaller fusion cannon to swap it with in robot mode.

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Also items on eBay.
Unicron

Post by Unicron »

numbat wrote:Oh, I know it would be very difficult to incorporate a shrinking transformation in to the scope part, or find a way ti incorporate the scope in robot mode with an extra cannon part becoming revealed. I'd settle for an accessory I could swap on. You know, a big scope piece for gun mode, with an optional smaller fusion cannon to swap it with in robot mode.
Given the way they're throwing random accessories around with some of the MPs lately, I'm hoping for scope and fusion cannon pair we can swap around is the plan for the inevitable v2 Megatron
numbat

Post by numbat »

Unicron wrote:Given the way they're throwing random accessories around with some of the MPs lately, I'm hoping for scope and fusion cannon pair we can swap around is the plan for the inevitable v2 Megatron
Aye, given how many accessories came with MP Ironhide, we can hope indeed!

Also items on eBay.
numbat

Post by numbat »

For the third weekend in a row, I spent my brief 'me' time while my wife and toddler napped fixing inherent issues with MP-5 Megatron.

This time, I tackled the loose waist connector and hips. I carefully prised the waist connector prongs out and let them set in position a bit with an electrical screwdriver, before using card to keep the lower part of the clip from returning to its original too narrow alignment whilst still allowing some flexibility so it didn't become irreversibly stuck in robot mode.

https://twitter.com/ChrisCathrine/statu ... 5682935808

I then dismantled the legs and reset the pins, and he can once again free-stand holding his fusion cannon high.

https://twitter.com/ChrisCathrine/statu ... 9474924544

He still has his issues: I still think more could be done to improve the hips in particular - I wonder if some silicon sealant may give more grip - but frankly the design is inherently terrible and it may not be possible to improve further while retaining the ability to transform and, frankly, there are better non-transforming Megatrons out there!

However, overall, he is much improved, and on display with MP-4 Convoy holding his cannon high again for the first time in years.

https://twitter.com/ChrisCathrine/statu ... 1290589184

Sprucing MP-5 up has been quite satisfying. I'm still open to selling him, and MP-4, but have a new-found appreciation for both and am beginning to wonder about holding on to them...

Also items on eBay.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Good work fella! As the chaps at Loaded used to say (probably still do)

Playing with MP Shockwave for most of the last two days has sent me rumaging through my toy boxes again...

E-Hobby Deep Cover
Still yet to be given the MP treatment, this is just a lovely lovely colourscheme. A sort of teal colour mixed with black and white it looks SEXY. Yes it does. Might possibly trump G2 Sideswipe for me, the more I look at it, if only because it lacks the moronic dayglo stickers that figure has.

Generations Brainstorm
Not that old of a toy, but I love how elegant and sleek he looks. Lovely bit of simple, well done design and engineering

Micromaster Station Greasepit
Well actually all the Micromaster Stations, they're all fun, but Ironworks and Greasepit are the best of the four. Greaspit busts out this awesome tower of shooty death from a cosy looking highway gas station and looks so adorable with his big wheel arms.

Triggercon Ruckus
Simple, silly gimmicky chunky nonsense and one of my favourites

Mirage
Because racing cars are cool. Especially when they're posh ones that hunt Turbofoxes (do they have hunt protestors on Cybertron?). Love this guy, wicked looking robot mode and a cool, boxy '70s F1 alt mode. Good times.
Attachments
Ruckus 003.jpg
Mirage I.jpg
Greaspit 04.jpg
Generations Brainstorm 002 (600x800).jpg
Deepcover 02.JPG
Clay

Post by Clay »

Saw most of the Combiner Wars Combaticons in the store the other day, and I was underwhelmed. Went and dug out the warbotron Bruticus from the case and briefly played around with it again because of that.

While I was initially lukewarm to the set after completing it, I have to say that I like it more now after seeing the official offering for the character in person. The warbotron set's not without its problems (and lots of them!), but I like it more and more as other options for the character pop up. Still wouldn't recommend the set outside of Swindle, though.

I do wish Maketoys would make a Superion and Bruticus in their style, though.
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

It's weird writing about him in this thread [for a variety of reasons I will discuss] but...MP09 Hot Rod, USA version.

This August it will be a 5 year old release.

Mine is probably the most cherished figure in my collection. I still remember being very disappointed with the overall QC of my MP09 Takara version.

Hasbro version was announced in somewhat reviled, back then, colours. Missing trailer. Far cheaper. Had little Targetmaster [who still, to this day, is only available with that release] and a matrix he could hold.

Notabot hooked me up with one at cost back then. If I recall correctly I even got a little note in the box with the figure :)

I always thought that MP09 was very, very ambitious when it came to the transformation scheme, and the enjoyment [or lack of] that you got really depended on your individual copy.

TRU Hot Rod did not fare very well for many people, as a combination of tight joints, low tolerances and questionable plastic at places led to many figures suffering from broken shoulders or hip joints.

Mine is not one of those. Mine is pretty much my most transformed figure in my collection , accompanied me to a brand new beginning to a different country and has been displayed when I was house sharing, lodging and earning very little.

He was the first figure I unpacked when I got my very first ever house on my own and to this date he has never been back in his box.

I transformed him again today---sure, over the years, he's starting to show his age. His hip ratchets aren't that strong [although a far cry from loose]. His chrome on his arms is not the best ever---but that's from day one to be fair. There are some paint chips as hasbro painted over clear plastic with thick paint in places that move around for transformation. I can see stress marks on the two tabs from his backpack that clip on his legs for car mode.

And there's also the ever present danger of his shoulders crumbling. I've dodged that bullet for nearly 5 years--will my good luck continue?

The newer MP figures are nice. They are playable, they work well as a group---but that is also one of their drawbacks. Masterpiece figures used to be one-offs, important characters "immortalized" in newer designs. This one might be a relic of a not that long ago past, where he commanded a shelf of his own, shared with no one.

And strangely enough, I really like these hasbro colours on him. :lol:
Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
Tetsuro
Protoform
Custom Title: Poe Dameron did nothing wrong

Post by Tetsuro »

Remarkably, my Takara MP09 has survived multiple transformations unscathed. I actually warm up to him more and more every time I transform him, but like you, I wonder how long my good luck will continue.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

numbat wrote:However, overall, he is much improved, and on display with MP-4 Convoy holding his cannon high again for the first time in years.

https://twitter.com/ChrisCathrine/statu ... 1290589184
Neat. They do make a good pair, and would've kept mine had a friend not been interested, Apollyon coming out, MP-01 ending up in a different display corner, etc. Posed as you've got him, the retro styling really works.

Eras of toys I don't really miss, but would probably snap up a loose example of Motormaster if I saw one cheap just because it'd be nice to have a complete example representing the one I got as a quiz booby prize via TMUK a couple of weeks ago... maybe the green version.

http://i.imgur.com/DhjCK8s.jpg
numbat

Post by numbat »

Denyer wrote:Eras of toys I don't really miss, but would probably snap up a loose example of Motormaster if I saw one cheap just because it'd be nice to have a complete example representing the one I got as a quiz booby prize via TMUK a couple of weeks ago... maybe the green version.
I guess you mean ROTF Mixmaster? He's a bit of a nightmare to transform, but the robot mode is impressively like the CGI model, although something needs done with that cab shell hanging off him. I rarely play around with him...

On the otherhand I got a few CHUG figures out last night / this morning while tidying my study a bit. My 2 year old son loved Henkei Astrotrain (choo-choo!), and I've been reminded how much I like Generations IDW Skids, but equally how much he needs heels for decent posing. Temped by the upcoming Takara version, as the Hasbro one I have is quite plain really.

Also playing around with Generations Roadbuster (how could I not, having just read Sins of the Wreckers #4 yesterday?). His simplicity is surely the opposite of ROTF Mixmaster's complexity at the same scale. It's satisfying to be able to transform him so quickly, I love all the accessories, but I wish he had more articulation (particularly thigh swivels that actually worked, and wrists, but I'd take anything to make this brick more dynamic).

And Energon Ultra Tidal Wave - he's bigger than Generations Leader Class Jetfire incidentally. Hefty, nice design, but terrible terrible articulation. I wish they'd do a CHUG update of him - he's just so very cool but the toy unacceptably dated.
SPOILER! (select to read)

Also items on eBay.
numbat

Post by numbat »

Also got out RTS Wreck-Gar and Generations Junkheap. So their transformation is a total pain, but there is just so much fun to be had with a Transformer riding another Transformer!

Obligatory 'Dare to be stupid' photo here: https://twitter.com/ChrisCathrine/statu ... 3171351554

And Generations Blitzwing... Hmmm. He may be looking for a new home soon.

Also items on eBay.
numbat

Post by numbat »

Me again!

With my regular Takara Age of Extinction AoE Evasion Mode Prime going to a new home, I got the three versions of this mould I own together for one last time...

It is a really clever mould, but I still find folding the arms away when going from robot to truck a pain.

The Takara Rusty version is undoubtedly my favourite, and I can't imagine ever parting with him, but man they just could not get everything right in a single standard deco could they? Takara's AD-02 has flames on the shoulders but not on the legs, while the Hasbro version from that evolution two pack has them on the legs but not shoulders. And neither of the two standard versions have flames on the chest...

Still, you'd be daft not to own some version of this mould!

Some group shots here: https://twitter.com/ChrisCathrine/statu ... 8161886208

Also items on eBay.
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

Veering back to MP 09 Hot Rod for a moment.....

I think he's my favorite version of the figure. It's a good colorscheme, he's held up quite well, and the only problem I've had was the fact that the mount for his spoiler broke, not due to being overly fragile, but due to a cat that decided she loved jumping up on the desk where I had him standing and knocking him over onto the floor.

Many times.

Along with that, there's now some scraped sections on the pieces that are revealed on his hood when you transform him to vehicle mode.
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
numbat

Post by numbat »

Heinrad wrote:the only problem I've had was the fact that the mount for his spoiler broke, not due to being overly fragile, but due to a cat that decided she loved jumping up on the desk where I had him standing and knocking him over onto the floor.
I feel your pain - one of my cats randomly decided to bite MP Ironhide's foot and left a hole in it! Bloody cats...

Also items on eBay.