Third party toy discussion (stuff that's been released)

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
numbat

Post by numbat »

Wow! That is huge!

And a thing of beauty.

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Check out my new sale thread now!

Also items on eBay.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Yeah, even lousy photography can't dilute it too much... it being eye level with MP-01 was a big part of the appeal. Might have to dig out the original Prime this week.

Not far off what the MP clocked in at years ago either.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

After a slight cock-up with an order I forgot about and wasn't fulfilled... Mega Steel did well with this. Helpfully the back-mounted tank treads are separate removable pieces:

http://i.imgur.com/TUMjtO3.jpg
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

Messing around with my MMC figures...

Cynicus really does not hold well anymore. Mine is a floppy mess at various joints. Arms are stiff, but legs and backpack are flimsy if not secured. All the joints in the legs have loosened up.

Very curious as to how this is happening [has also been reported on FB for others], as Salvia was made at the same time [albeit from different plastics] but has not "deteriorated" like that.
Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Just a quick observation... Cloud9 Quakeblast is definitely worth considering as an alternative to Quakewave, and the longer of the two hoses that comes with it makes an easy mod to beef up the latter. Looks good in alt mode and nice heft in the handle too.
Ryan F

Post by Ryan F »

Maketoys Hardhead arrived today. Looks really great in both modes and the transformation is a lot more intuitive than their Chromedome. It's fun and doesn't feel like a chore. Again, kibble is minimal, however the knee and elbow joints look a bit shonky from certain angles. Lots of die-cast. Has real working rubbery treads. Hopefully they are durable rubbery stuff (like what Lego tyres are made from), rather than that other rubber that's prone to cracking (as was used for the tyres on the old RID Prime and Magnus that combined with each other).

Overall happy. He looks good with Chromedome, transformation is fun, good poseability. Some better looking knees and elbows would have made this a stunner, but as-is I'd say 8/10. Looking forward to the other figures in this series (Pointblank/Darkwing/Dreadwind have already been announced)

Edited to add: Until earlier this week, I had no idea that the company was pronounced 'MAH-kee toys', i.e. rhyming with sake (the rice wine). Now I feel stupid for saying it wrong all this time.
Transform And Roll-Out
The Unofficial And Unauthorised Guide To The Transformers (1984-92)
Available now from Telos Publishing
https://telos.co.uk/shop/cult-tv/transf ... -roll-out/
numbat

Post by numbat »

Knightdramon wrote:Messing around with my MMC figures...

Cynicus really does not hold well anymore. Mine is a floppy mess at various joints. Arms are stiff, but legs and backpack are flimsy if not secured. All the joints in the legs have loosened up.

Very curious as to how this is happening [has also been reported on FB for others], as Salvia was made at the same time [albeit from different plastics] but has not "deteriorated" like that.
My Cynicus is still holding up well. Although, of course, it is my second Cynicus, as the first which arrived was so loose it couldn't stand in any position or transform properly...

Legs are still a bit loose, but he can pose fine as he's so light. I've transformed him quite a few times, and quite enjoy it. I really think he's an amazing design, and not as complex as he appeared (instructions don't help). Currently he is being held by Anarchus (pointing him in the air, the whole affair is taller than Feral Rex - I'm impressed that Anarchus is solid enough to keep this up!).

Still, Cynicus is undoubtedly worryingly flimsy. I don't know if mine will also deteriorate over time.

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Also items on eBay.
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

Ryan F wrote:Edited to add: Until earlier this week, I had no idea that the company was pronounced 'MAH-kee toys', i.e. rhyming with sake (the rice wine). Now I feel stupid for saying it wrong all this time.
I've heard it pronounced ma-kay in a few places, but until they restyle their logo with an accent over the e, I'm gonna pronounce it how I want and they'll never even know.
numbat

Post by numbat »

Brendocon 2.0 wrote:I've heard it pronounced ma-kay in a few places, but until they restyle their logo with an accent over the e, I'm gonna pronounce it how I want and they'll never even know.
You rogue.

:lol:

I must admit, I didn't know either. Fortunately, this is easily assimilated into my world view.

Also items on eBay.
Hound

Post by Hound »

This came today! Very happy with it. Getting all the panels lined up in tank mode is a bit of a challenge but I don't really have any other complaints.
Attachments
IMG_2258.jpg
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Neat. Don't know them as characters but it's nice to see 3P branching out.

Wave of nostalgia with this one... need to find a real cassette to stay in the box, ideally Megatron's Fight for Power.

http://i.imgur.com/eiK1z4j.jpg
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

I geeked so ****ing hard when I saw that they've used actual tape cases.

When did he turn up/by what method? Mine's not here yet and the HKPost tracking number "doesn't exist".
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

End of the week, and the tracking number I got still just says it left on the 6th Feb on hongkongpost.hk -- I don't think they really get updated. Assuming you ordered at a similar time would guess it's any point next week.

The box is actually slightly personalised, it's got their logo raised on the back as well as the radiating sound waves on the front. Obviously heavy and that's something the following non-diecast release will be more believable as. It's also custom as he's a bit wider than a real cassette -- you can get an ordinary tape into that box, but not vice versa. Still very cool.
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

Starting to look into the MT Headmasters---Cupola and Ironwill so far. Their Pointblank looks rad.

How heavy are they? People said Cupola was hefty but Ironwill is even heavier---are we talking FT dino heavy?
Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
Sades

Post by Sades »

That not-Megatron is totally a Butterface. I prefer the CW head. Jelly over not-Ravage, though.

Thanatos has a cool name, but I've always been more keen on Beastformers/planes/cartoon characters so this has been pretty much just another tank to me. I like Not-Bisonbreast, though. There appears to be an air bubble in the translucent red plastic of his gun barrel but it's not like it takes away from function. His horns are a bit wiggly and that gives me a tiny little sad.

Thanatos looks good, in both tank and robot mode he's very pretty. However his tank mode doesn't roll (not really a big thing for me personally but thought I should mention), and he's got all sorts of thin little plastic panels and tab dealies on him that make me very nervous, as some of those thin panels and tabs need to be pulled on with a bit of force to transform the toy.

His satellite dish (prepackaged with the latest in HD home entertainment) is a bit of a tight fit and can be a pain to get out at first without pulling on the bit of translucent red plastic in front (would not recommend doing that on the regular), but if you stick something in behind it and push it up from behind it's easy enough.

All in all imo nice looking, well balanced figure with no weird gimmicks. However it both looks and feels fragile in certain areas where you don't want that to be the case. I'm not going to be fiddling with this one a whole lot, because a) tank, boring and b) I don't want to be the one who breaks it. :lol:
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

TFC do pretty good work from what I've seen (one of the Constructicons and an Aerialbot).
Sades wrote:That not-Megatron is totally a Butterface. I prefer the CW head.
He's a bit more cuddly in the comics. Ended up going with Hegemon heading up 'Cons as he's comfortably a head or two taller than the MP cars and more or less the same height as that crumbly iGear Faith Leader downsized knock off of MP-01. Head sculpts aren't really a ToyWorld strong point but it's not too bad.
Sades

Post by Sades »

Denyer wrote:He's a bit more cuddly in the comics.
Ahhhhhh. Had to google it, I don't read the comics. As far as I can tell it seems a pretty decent representation of what he's supposed to be, so :up:

Plus, he's shiny. Shiny is always a bonus.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Specifically a very late stab at a Stormbringer (i.e. Don Fig) era Megatron, but not too far off current MTMTE.

http://i.imgur.com/EvGbP38.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/tChxhGP.jpg
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

My MMC Ravage has arrived and oh he's just hashtag totes adorbz.

The instructions could be a little better, but points for being in English.

Range of articulation isn't quite as good as it looks like it should be (specifically the range of movement on the head looks like it should be better). While those torso halves really should have some way of pegging together, separate pieces makes for good body movement, but there's chasms down his spine if you pose him at the wrong angle.

Other than that (and the lack of cassette label details, which are ultimately inessential), he's ****ing awesome and you should all get one.
Hound

Post by Hound »

I got TFC Minos. My only real problem with it is that there are so many parts about it that I feel could break way too easily during transformations. Not that the thing feels poorly made, it's just got a few thin sharp bits that sort of get in the way. Other than that the Bat thing is kind of a rubbish looking bat but does look better attached to the chest than Thanatos' does.

Minos does look great though in all three modes. I can't wait to get the rest of the thing.
Attachments
IMG_20160331_235901_841.jpg