Third party toy discussion (stuff that's been released)

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Got MMC's Headstrong (Fortis) -- this guy http://ejcollectibles.blogspot.co.uk/20 ... trong.html -- as a result of them turning up on Aliexpress loose, and it reminds me why I got into collecting 3P. Generally the quality (and heft with MMC) is impressive if you pick carefully.

The only downside is that they managed to design a Rhino (and Bull) that can't lower their heads to charge, but he's still an impressive brute.
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

Denyer wrote:Got MMC's Headstrong (Fortis) -- this guy http://ejcollectibles.blogspot.co.uk/20 ... trong.html -- as a result of them turning up on Aliexpress loose, and it reminds me why I got into collecting 3P. Generally the quality (and heft with MMC) is impressive if you pick carefully.

The only downside is that they managed to design a Rhino (and Bull) that can't lower their heads to charge, but he's still an impressive brute.
I think you can have a one-armed Feral Rex by now...right? Only missing Talon and Tigris?

Fully agree on the quality and heft. Thankfully Cynicus appears to be a one-off so far!
Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Yeah, maybe if I came across a very cheap Talon I'd switch something out of the display and get that one, it's not a bad mould and it'd give the option... but like I say, if I was actually bothered about PK I'd rather go for an OS set that's more in scale with bigger MPs.

I have a slightly jokey connection with rhinos in a work context, which is another reason I snagged this one.

edit: Well, that escalated. Came across reasonably cheap examples of Talon and Tigris. I think I'm going to display Talon in bird mode (on the other side, Caelus is on a flight stand) and take Nemesis Orion out of the display.
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

Spent more time with MMC Seraphicus. Feel slightly more aware of the figure's overall image to be able to objectively discuss it before my review, which might shift into a subjective view again.

It is generally a good release bordering on average, depending on your take. He has all the standard MMC characteristics; great finish, tight joints, strong plastic, great looking modes with an odd conversion in-between, good heft despite being all plastic.

Much has changed from the initial CAD renders---renders which did not change for the comic book, ending with a Seraph that does not quite look like the one we got. The helmet sadly lacks a faceplate and looks more like a pirate hat instead. The colours of the figure are altered---the initial release had clear blue plastic for the wings and red for the hip missiles instead of the orange we got for the final release.

Conversion to vehicle mode is typical MMC---crappy booklet, parts refusing to co-operate. This can be mixed, I've had transformations of this guy going smoothly and others where I had to struggle with some parts.

Because this was initially teased back in...2013? 2012 very first shot? He is a tad dated. His shoulders and overall front end transformation evokes a slightly more complex Universe 2008 Sideswipe.

The trailer is interesting; tolerances are once again off, I dare you to try to close it up without the damn super mode gloves popping off. Plastic is stiff despite being thin, with very few parts actually having a give at all.

Super mode is interesting visually but overall limited. Between the limited leg articulation [a thigh swivel is sorely missed] and the overall bulky upper body you cannot do much.

The releases are also a bit baffling---the core figure is photographed with the revolver gun, but the revolver gun is with the trailer set. Figure is also pictured with painted katana blades; they are not. Opaque neon blue/green swords it is. Hand slots once again too small to properly hold his swords in core robot mode.

EDIT:Some pics
Attachments
IMG_0246.jpg
IMG_0245.jpg
IMG_0233.jpg
Clay

Post by Clay »

He looked big until I saw the picture of him next to Sixshot. Now he just looks less big.

What's up with the trailer being a separate release?
Denyer wrote: edit: Well, that escalated.
lol.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

I'm almost afraid to ask, but where are these cheap Feralcons coming from? Felisabre impressed me enough that I'd be tempted to grab one of two of the others for the right price even though I'm not a big fan of the Predacons' colours.
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

Trailer for Nova is a separate release---the figure is available as a standalone core or core+trailer.

AFAIK there is no difference between the cores, the combo package is literally the core box +trailer box.

Standalone core figure was pretty standard MMC affairs, price-wise at roughly 80ish pounds, combo can set you back twice that amount.

Cheap Feralcons on ebay? Loose? I'd bet the set will be cheap again if bought directly at TFNation.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Warcry wrote:I'm almost afraid to ask, but where are these cheap Feralcons coming from? Felisabre impressed me enough that I'd be tempted to grab one of two of the others for the right price even though I'm not a big fan of the Predacons' colours.
Commonly assumed to be MMC themselves fighting back against the cheaper oversized knock-offs. The KOs aren't a match on quality, apparently, but still aren't bad.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

This, in a nutshell, is why QW is staying on the shelf and Shockwave is a maybe-if-they-do-a-grey-one...

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transform ... 40180.html
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

What in the world would you do with an oversized Feral Rex? The real deal is super huge to begin with. A bigger one would fill a whole room!
Denyer wrote:Commonly assumed to be MMC themselves fighting back against the cheaper oversized knock-offs. The KOs aren't a match on quality, apparently, but still aren't bad.
Do you mind if I ask where you bought yours? Were they all from Aliexpress?
Denyer wrote:This, in a nutshell, is why QW is staying on the shelf and Shockwave is a maybe-if-they-do-a-grey-one...
Can't get over the legs on Quakewave. He looks like a great toy, don't get me wrong, but Shockwave's supposed to be twiggy. I blame the early Marvel US comic artists.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Warcry wrote:What in the world would you do with an oversized Feral Rex?
Put it behind Apollyon and Quakewave.

The Fortis was from Aliexpress, and the same seller had Bovis as well. Those are the ones definitely seemed to have come back on the market. Some sites are taking preorders for reissues now, though. My assumption is that the loose Tigris that should be on the way is a reissue. The Talon is probably old stock. Both of those were eBay grabs from Asian sellers.
Shockwave's supposed to be twiggy.
Even the stuff that's based on the original toy and its engineering limitations tends to draw him side on or at an angle so that things look proportionate, though.

edit: This does a similar thing and looks cool though...

http://i.imgur.com/P7q8n7P.jpg
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

Picked up FansProject's takes on Kakuryu, Yokoryu and Gairyu (Slog, Wildfly and Bristleback).

They're alright. Wildfly's wings keep cutting me to ribbons whenever I try to do anything with him. Joint tolerances are all over the place and a lot of the pegs and clips just sort of sit there rather than actually plugging in firmly, but overall they're quite nice for what they are.

Lots of character in the designs. Looking forward to DinoSan (Rairyu?) turning up in the next few days too.

Really like the packaging, too. My first foray into FP stuff. Shame the instructions are printed the way they are. Lets the side down.

Would love to get their shells, but at £70 a pop I think that's always going to be a no.
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

Slowly coming together...
Attachments
20160429_175840.jpg
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

So I bit the bullet and picked up X-Transbots recent Minibot trio of Boost (Windcharger), Hatch (Tailgate) and Arkose (Beachcomber).

I'm genuinely impressed. They've stepped their game up considerably. They're still doing that thing where they've completely overreached on the engineering (Windcharger/Tailgate's feet and hands; Beachcomber's backpack and legs - but all these things I knew about from reviews, etc), but overall I really like them.

They don't feel cheap and flimsy like Huffer and Pipes. There's a few issues of things not quite clipping together firmly, but none of it feels like it's going to fall apart this time. The sculpting is absolutely fantastic.

Not quite perfect, but it's definitely a massive leap forward from their previous efforts and they look great on the shelf. They'll certainly do. :)
Clay

Post by Clay »

Brendocon 2.0 wrote:Slowly coming together...
Nifty! Are you going to get the shells too? I... almost prefer those to the actual Dinoking figures. They're so cute!
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Brendocon 2.0 wrote:Slowly coming together...
Neat ensemble. Still virtually no idea who Leozack is but have always liked the design and colour scheme.
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

Yeah, the figures look great in their own right, regardless of what character they may actually represent.
Clay wrote:Nifty! Are you going to get the shells too? I... almost prefer those to the actual Dinoking figures. They're so cute!
I'd really like to get the shells, but they cost about as much as the Breastforce figures do, and I don't think the production run is high enough that anywhere will have stock long enough for them to come down to something more affordable. :/
Scotimus Prime
Protoform

Post by Scotimus Prime »

My video review of DX9 Hulkie
[removed]

My video review of Master Made Diabolus Rex
[removed]

& my video review of Toyworld's Infinitor
[removed]
Sades

Post by Sades »

Hi there Scotimus Prime! We don't normally allow reviewers to advertise their reviews at random in threads on this forum. If you'd like to, you can put the links to your video reviews in your signature. Thanks!
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Hound

Post by Hound »

Got TFC Rhadamanthus and Cerberus a couple of days ago. I love how well it all looks combined. Really looking forward to getting the last two and being able to pose it without the aid of a coffee container.
Attachments
IMG_20160531_205534_1CS.jpg
IMG_20160601_135839_12CS.jpg