Good news for UK RiD fans!

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Cliffjumper

Good news for UK RiD fans!

Post by Cliffjumper »

Well, the more I thik about it it doesn't seem fantastic, but it ain't bad. It would seem RiD is no longer a Woolies exclusive [although from the start Forbidden Planet have strived to bring us RiD at only twice the r.r.p], as on Monday it was in Southampton Toys R Us... Nothing new as yet [Optimus Prime/Ultra Magnus/Megatron/Car Brothers/those 3 Spychanger packs], and I've yet to see them anywhere else [though I am struggling to think of another UK highstreet toy shop]. I picked up X-Brawn, and really can't quite decide whether I like him or not :)

In addition, decent Forbidden Planets [I'm going by the one in Cardiff, which despite its massive comic back issue failings, has a good figures selection] have New Year Optimuses [no idea how much, probably about £60+], Rodimus Convoy reissues [about £40], Act 1 PVCs [About £6], The Scourge/X-Brawn spychanger pack [£8], the smaller Combaticons [£8 each], Skybyte [about £18] and Metalforce Prime [£20].
BigMaki
Protoform

Post by BigMaki »

I like X-Brawn's figure, you can get some reallydynamic poses with the way his weight is distributed. My only complaint is that his fist seems to pop off every time I turn it or transform him. Stupid ball & socket joints... At least you don't feel like you're scraping him up every time you transform him, like you do with Sideburn/Speedbreaker...

Good to hear you UK guys can get RiD without a monopoly holding you down. :)
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

It wasn't that it was just stocked in one chain - every civilized British city has a Woolworths [Winchester doesn't - go figure :)], but it was the fact that Woolies just didn't seem to want the line... most of the ones I've been to got the first wave [over here, Megatron and the three Spychanger packs], and then seemed to lose heart...

As for X-Brawn, he's fun, but that car bonnet really does look a little daft... Mind, his blade can fire for miles and miles... I managed to get Ashra in the eye yesterday... Accidentally, of course.
Denyer

F###in' A'!

Post by Denyer »

Originally posted by Quicksilver
It would seem RiD is no longer a Woolies exclusive
At last, perhaps people will get the chance to notice them! Maybe I might even grab a pack of Spychangers if I can find any decent ones...

Even ickle Aber has a Woolies... :p ;)
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Southampton Toys R Us had a pretty big section, considering there's, what, 9 different packs avaliable... I can pick up Hotshot/Rev, Mirage/Ironhide and/or WARS/Crosswise for ya... I was gonna get the Scourge/X-Brawn spychangers next time I went to Cardiff [probably when I go back thru on wednesday], but as I've got X-Brawn fullsize I'd basically be paying £8 for the Scourge cab....
Denyer

Whilst...

Post by Denyer »

...the Scourge chibi would be quite cool, £8 is a total $%^&ing rip-off; especially considering they're only $5 across the pond. Hang on a minute...the other spychanger packs are only £5! Was that a typo? Still fairly steep, although actually in-store I might not be able to resist...

I figure I'll take a wander down-town after my assignment, since the only way I can justify buying G2 Gobots or their like is as an impulse purchase...
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

AFAIK, the Scourge/X-Brawn Spychanger pack isn't officially out here. Forbidden Planet import the toys, presumeably from the States, and give them rather nasty mark-ups [the Car Brothers are about £15, Spychangers £8 etc.] to cash in on Woolies' shoddy stock, and the hope that fans will buy early in case certain toys aren't planned to be released in the UK. But the 3 standard stes can be gotten from Woolies & Toy R Us for a fiver. And expect to see Ironhide/Mirage in bargain bins before too long, as the shelves are full of them. I wouldn't pay more than £2 for that one, as Ironhide's going straight in the bin. The Scourge/X-Brawn set is something I wouldn't be surprised to not see released over here, as the makret's a little more limited, and there's already an X-Brawn toy... Sadly ithink we have no chance of getting Scourge proper... Any nice Americans want to get one for me? :)

btw, if I do go via Cardiff on Wednesday, I expect I'll impulse-buy the Scourge/X-Brawn pack, so I'll let you know :)
Denyer

Cool...

Post by Denyer »

...you can grab a pic or rest him on a scanner plate, can't you? ;)

Sorry, somehow thought that Woolies weren't crap for a second.
BigMaki
Protoform

Post by BigMaki »

Originally posted by Quicksilver
Sadly ithink we have no chance of getting Scourge proper... Any nice Americans want to get one for me? :)
Too bad none of us can seem to find him for ourselves in the first place. The Toys R Us guys know my voice now, and I know their shipping schedules quite well at this point. Too bad all 3 TRU's in my city never have any on Saturday mornings. The guys looked it up in the computer and said that the warehouse was showing zero of 600 were available, whatever that means. Hopefully there's more than 600 for the entire southeastern US... But I'll certainly let you guys know when I get my hands on a Scourge, or maybe 2 or 3 of them if luck is on my side...
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Yeh, if I get 'em it shouldn't be a problem :)

On the plus side, they seem to be a bit more complex than the glorified Micromaster approach of the Gobots - Scourge just seems to be scaled down, and he is Black Convoy :) X-Brawn I expect is less complex, which'll be good - if I leave the fullsize one at home, it might discourage Paul from using him to recreate bits of the Karma Sutra with my Scarlet Witch figure...
Sixswitch

Post by Sixswitch »

Last time I wandered into Forbidden Planet, they didn't have NY Optimus, or Rodimus Convoy on the shelves.

They had reissue Sixshots, Megatron RID, Skybyte, the Car Brothers and some little twin packs of RID (Spychangers, right), as well as four different acts of PVCs. I know Acts 3 and 6 were there (I got myself one, which turned out to be Optimus with Megs in gun mode... Nice).

Dunno what they keep behind the counter/in stockrooms though. Incidentally, if yer gonna be in Cardiff, Entertainer in the Queens Arcade has the Car Bros for cheaper than Forbidden Planet, as well as some Spychangers, and RID Magnus.

And they have some BW stuff (mostly crap animorphs and Injector, but they do have TM2 Cheetor). Also some BM stuff - the only one I noticed offhand was Jetstorm.

-Ss
I found God. Then I lost him. He'll probably turn up down the back of the sofa someday.
"The early bird gets the worm, but the early worm is ****ed."
"I'm not oppressing you Stan, but you haven't got a womb. Where's the fetus going to gestate? You going to keep it in a box?"
The HeartBrend Kid
Protoform

Post by The HeartBrend Kid »

Aye, the TRU at Cribbs Causeway (that's Bristol fer the non-farmer-type people) has a fairly large point-of-sale display for RiD.

They had the three Car Bros, Megs, Optimus and Magnus, along with the first three packs of Spychangers.

Woolies over in Cambridge (and St Ives) have got the next two Spychanger packs... FP in Cambs did have the Build team and Mega-Octane a coupla months back, but their stocks been reduced to the solitary Predacon 3-pack that's been sat on that shelf since about September (I almost feel sorry for it...)

I want Chibi Scourge dammit. He needs to stand atop the cab of my Black Convoy and look menacingly cute!

(Oh, and it's not just every civilised city that has a Woolworths - it's one of the criteria that needs meeting for a place to achieve official "town" status, I reckon...)
Sixswitch

Post by Sixswitch »

Yeah, Morriston has one, and that's anything but civilised. It's the armpit of Swansea, and I hate it. I'm glad I don't actually live in the middle, or I'd have slit my wrists from depression by now.

Incidentally Cliffy, are there any places that sell older TFs or PVCs in Swansea? I've not looked around, since I only got into TFs ssince being up here

-Ss
I found God. Then I lost him. He'll probably turn up down the back of the sofa someday.
"The early bird gets the worm, but the early worm is ****ed."
"I'm not oppressing you Stan, but you haven't got a womb. Where's the fetus going to gestate? You going to keep it in a box?"
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

'Fraid not... Castell Minatures [just down from Swansea station] did have a few Minibots a while ago, but I bought 'em all and there's no sign of the chap getting any more... You may be able to order some of the newer figs viathe Comix Shoppe, but it might be expensive... Believe me, I wouldn't go up to cardiff unless I couldn't find the stuff elsewhere... ;)

My friend Zara lives in Morriston - know her? Or the lovely Sarah Allen?