OFFICIAL TRANSFORMERS TOYS NEWS

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Hound wrote:Is that going to be the only way to get Megatronus? Because if it is that's ****ed up. I already have the Takara version of Blast Off.
After the announcement of the throne of primal thing, it seems that the easiest way to get all thirteen prime masters (if one is so inclined) is by buying:

The 8 pretenders
Predaking (onyx prime)
Throne of primal (the other four).

The various exclusives (blast off, repugnus, etc.) have duplicates of the pretender figures without the shells.
Clay

Post by Clay »

MP beast wars megatron preorders are available now, and he's... over $300. Wasn't Primal only $120 or something? I know that megatron is bigger, but he's not three times bigger...
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Looking back through my email, I paid 8,990 yen for Primal, so about $80 USD with today's exchange rate. With the way Japanese e-tailers usually discount their preorders, MSRP was probably around $100 USD.

$300+ for Megatron is way past what I'd be willing to pay. He's one of my favourite Transformers characters but there's no way I can justify that. I could probably buy up a complete collection of all of his vintage 90s figures with that money, and I'd have a heck of a lot more fun with five or six BW/BM toys than I would with a single giant MP figure.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

I watched a Toy Galaxy vid about the decline and possible demise of the action figure market, and this does feel like an indicator of that. As the market for toys shrinks towards adult collectors, so you get ever more detailed but expensive figures that are just out reach for a lot of folks or beyond what they're prepared to pay. I'll be sticking with my TM Megs, unless there's a significant mark down in the future (as seems to happen with all those Diaclone themed MPs I like).
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

This seems more like overreaching plus an add-on percentage of greed. If there's judged to be a market it'll be bootlegged to criminy and there'll also be cheaper 3P designs. This isn't like with other MP figures where there's a licensing cost that the unofficial companies avoid, and TT are forced to prioritise the alt-mode: it's a t-rex, the transformation of which doesn't have to be obscenely complicated given the source material.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Punch/Counterpunch looks pretty damn cool. Repugnus isn't bad, but the unpainted robot face is a downer and I've never managed to find a Grotusque. Not going to get excited about either of them though, since neither of the TR Deluxe-and-Master packs made it to Canada as far as I know.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

It's a bit of a cheek, but the titan master head got paint and will switch in. It's just working out the best point to try to nab one of the deluxes -- whilst it's nice that this stuff exists it's a shitty experience trying to collect TFs these days. Nowhere near as much as some other franchises, but it does suck the fun out of it.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Clay wrote:I know that megatron is bigger, but he's not three times bigger...
Well, nevermind.
Attachments
241.jpg
Clay

Post by Clay »

Actually, I just bought a grotusque off ebay last week, and it got here yesterday. Price was $25 plus shipping, which isn't bad considering it's an online-exclusive to a defunct chain. The original retail price was $20, wasn't it?
it's a shitty experience trying to collect TFs these days.
Agreed. It's more a game of waiting for the mail to come than anything.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Denyer wrote:It's a bit of a cheek, but the titan master head got paint and will switch in.
True enough, and I do have TM Repugnus sitting around.
Denyer wrote:It's just working out the best point to try to nab one of the deluxes -- whilst it's nice that this stuff exists it's a shitty experience trying to collect TFs these days. Nowhere near as much as some other franchises, but it does suck the fun out of it.
Agreed. I think I buy maybe 25% of my Transformers in stores these days. And with Marvel stuff it's even worse, to the point where I don't even bother looking for Legends figures in store anymore unless it's an exclusive. It really does suck some of the fun out of collecting. Having the stuff is fun, yes, but going to the store and seeing what new stuff they had in stock used to be fun too.
Clay wrote:Actually, I just bought a grotusque off ebay last week, and it got here yesterday. Price was $25 plus shipping, which isn't bad considering it's an online-exclusive to a defunct chain. The original retail price was $20, wasn't it?
That's actually pretty reasonable. When I checked closer to release date he was getting scalped pretty hard, and the US TRU wouldn't ship him to Canada. Unfortunately for me, the trick will now be finding one where the shipping to Canada isn't going to cost more than the figure itself.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Suddenly that $300 price makes a bit more sense ... :D
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

http://news.tfw2005.com/2018/07/13/tran ... led-367323

Here's the first promo pics of the new "War for Cybertron" line. Not super impressed so far.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Sideswipe looks nice, and the look is better than those stylised angular blocky shapes the previous lines used.
Clay

Post by Clay »

ROTF Starscream pics

There's that saw blade...
Clay

Post by Clay »

Also, Repugnus and Punch/Counterpunch are available for preorder on Amazon now.

I guess that means that they're Amazon exclusives? I thought they were headed for Walgreens like Blastoff.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Yep, found Repugnus last night when failing to find UK sites with it listed and several scalping eBay sellers as the only other alternative -- still fairly steep but essentially the same price as listings by Kapow, In-Demand etc plus a favourite character and it's nice to see late era characters like the Monsterbots.

Remember searching for Counterpunch and not finding. Cheers. I think the CHMS KO of the dubious club/con one can stay as Counterpunch (especially if I can sort out a new head) and the new one might be a genuine deskbot for a while.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Begun, the SDCC reveals have.

Most noteworthy thing so far is a "Vol. 2" set with the new VW Bee and the other two japanese dino cassettes.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Clay wrote:Begun, the SDCC reveals have.

Most noteworthy thing so far is a "Vol. 2" set with the new VW Bee and the other two japanese dino cassettes.
Yep. Bunch of new stuff that looks like my wallet will suffer from. But in a good way?

Upcoming Prime Wars Stuff

You know what I'm (oddly) most excited about? New versions of Roadhandler and Swindler. Super pumped about those!
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Magnus looks like a nice mix of the G1 and RiD designs. He's a Voyager, I think? I could definitely see myself looking for that, even if I'd rather he be Leader-sized. A lot of the full-sized figures seem to be weirdly over-greebled, though. I guess that's their way of trying to make them look "alien"? Not sure how much I like that.

Sideswipe and Hound seem like the nicest of the rest, which is disappointing honestly because I've already got multiple good figures of Sideswipe and Hound. Ironhide and Prime don't do much for me from these shots. Prime seems really kibbly and Ironhide's alt-mode doesn't look like him at all (I know, I know..."Cybertronian"...).

The Micromasters are nice, though. I'm guessing they're about the size of Armada Minicons, just going by the articulation? I think I'm going to end up buying a bunch of these so that I can play with them with my little boy -- he loves vrooming around some of my Legends and other smaller figures.

Hopefully the other halves of these patrols follow along later. It's kind of disappointing if they're only going to make half of each team. Having just Red Hot and Stakeout will be a bit of a disappointment if there's no Seawatch and Fixit.