OFFICIAL TRANSFORMERS TOYS NEWS

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Warcry

Re: Official Transformers new/upcoming releases! Hasbro, TakaraTomy and more

Post by Warcry »

Yet more listings...

https://news.tfw2005.com/2020/01/04/new ... een-403224

Airwave isn't at all surprising since we've already seen Ironworks.

Arcee kinda is because she's almost always portrayed with a futuristic alt-mode. I'm curious to see what an Earth Arcee would look like. Hopefully she gets a better mold than Chromia and the others did.

Smokescreen is a bit surprising because they just made one and he was an exclusive of sorts. A re-release would undermine the whole "selects" thing, a new mold so soon would be confusing (the Datsuns aren't Optimus or Starscream or Megatron...), and G2 Smokescreen just seems unlikely unless there's a Voyager Dreadwing we don't know about.

The Allicon makes me happy for obscure old RPG-related reasons, but I'm surprised how all-in Hasbro seems to be with Quintessons this year. Would it be wrong to get my hopes for a Ghyrik?
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

It feels too soon to be giving us new versions of characters we've only had the year before. I was hoping we'd have more Cybertronian-based stuff. Can't blame Hasbro, though. They know we'll all be happily shelling out for yet more G1 versions of Optimus and the Seekers all over again, so why not push the Datsun trio as well, whilst you're at it?
Clay

Post by Clay »

Here's your titan Scorponok and commander Sky Lynx.

Pretty spot on, from the looks of them.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Is everyone else also assuming that the space micromasters won't actually be a shuttle?

Kind of want a Scorponok to go with Fort Max but in some respects would rather have a not-too-knackered original one, with the same sort of discrepancy in size.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

If the Astro Squad are the shuttle I'll be super happy, but super surprised too. Either of the other vehicles from that squad would be super easy Battle Squad redecos.

Scorponok looks pretty cool, but Hasbro's chinsiness at the Titan price point is always disappointing. The originals always look like much more fun as playsets. The new ones just don't come with many accessories, and they feel lacking. Sadly a vintage Scorpy with all his bits is even more expensive than this big boy. :(

Definitely like the look of Sky Lynx, though. Assuming he has the separate beast modes (and I'd be shocked if he didn't given the direction of the line), I'll definitely give some thought to buying him.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

The price of the Titan class stuff over here generally doesn't seem too bad, particularly as they don't tend to stay at it. Versus the pricing on eg Jetfire or the leader class stuff, which feels like a rip off.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

It's been the opposite here, for the most part. After Fort Max got heavily clearanced, I haven't seen steep discounts on either Trypticon or Omega Supreme (or Predaking, but I was mostly ignoring him). In fact I think the only time Omega was available for less than MSRP was when Toys'R'Us accidentally put him up for preorders during a 25%ish off sale. But we've seen quite a few steep sales on Jetfire (I think he's dipped to $70 from the $120 MSRP more than once) and the Leaders are in the same boat.

And Jetfire's boatload of accessories make him a ton of fun to play with! Totally worth what I paid, though it was a fair slice under retail.

How much do Titans go for over there? Here I think Trypticon was $180, Predaking was around $200 and Omega has gone up to a pretty shocking $225. Fort Max bottomed out around $70, which I'd have been giddy to get him for execpt that he'd have needed something like $100 worth of third party accessories (and Cog) to feel complete.

Kinda jealous of the Americans living in areas with clearance stores that are still swamped with $50 Trypticons though. For that price I'd have bought one and figured out where to put it later!
Clay

Post by Clay »

Warcry wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:12 am
Scorponok looks pretty cool, but Hasbro's chinsiness at the Titan price point is always disappointing. The originals always look like much more fun as playsets. The new ones just don't come with many accessories, and they feel lacking. Sadly a vintage Scorpy with all his bits is even more expensive than this big boy. :(
I'm disappointed that fast track apparently will be a separate release as a deluxe. Metroplex, trypticon, and fort max all got their little guys separately, but they were all well after the fact (although you could easily say they should have been included to begin with), but scorponok doesn't include his because... reasons? Oh well. It's for symmetry, I guess.
Denyer wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:00 pm Kind of want a Scorponok to go with Fort Max but in some respects would rather have a not-too-knackered original one, with the same sort of discrepancy in size.
Oddly enough, g1 scorponok is the only city figure that hasn't been reissued. I wonder if, after the titan figure, they'll kick out an encore release.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Warcry wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:37 amHow much do Titans go for over there? Here I think Trypticon was $180, Predaking was around $200 and Omega has gone up to a pretty shocking $225. Fort Max bottomed out around $70, which I'd have been giddy to get him for execpt that he'd have needed something like $100 worth of third party accessories (and Cog) to feel complete.
Retail for Omega is 140 (i.e. about 240 Canadian) and Trypticon came down to 80. Jetfire retails at 80, but it's a much smaller figure -- the leaders (i.e. voyagers with extra accessories) are 47. Both those prices are getting into third party territory for single hit purchases, as is the inflation on the Seacons (50 for the voyager, 35 for each deluxe). The value just isn't there. Or to pick another comparison, as overpriced as Hot Toys stuff is, at least it's a relatively premium product.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

I'm looking forward to Scorponok. I'm not too fussed that he doesn't come with any accessories (less to loose, for one thing), just so long as his head is in proportion with his body. I'm guessing Fast Track will be another weponiser, which is fine, but hope he's not going to be grey all over. That would be boring.

Very excited for Sky Lynx and hope he does both beast modes :) Everything else... not that interested.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Wonderfest Japan is happening this weekend, so they've put out new stuff in the Transformer booth.

Studio Devastator (w/Scapper and Overload!), MP Arcee, and MP BW Tigatron.

Tigatron's an upscaling of Cheetor, it seems. He looks great, but apparently costs north of $200, so they can keep the thing. Arcee apparently is ~$150 like Hound, so also a pass for me.

Devastator and the constructicons... :love: I love ensemble shot. Overload seems slightly toned down from the concept art, but is still sufficiently weird to make me happy. Scrapper finally gets a toy, too!

Devastator himself is more red than I had thought, mostly due to Overload comprising the upper legs (you can also see Overload's head in his tummy, tee hee). Will be interested to see the effect of Skipjack's yellow instead of Rampage's red.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Well, that didn't take long. Here's devastator with skipjack as the yellow leg.

I like it.
Unicron

Post by Unicron »

Have to say I'm a bit disappointed that we're getting Arcee before Galvatron.
Yeah, I know. All the anecdotes of villians not selling as well in Japan, Arcee being one of the rare female characters, easy repaint into a Paradron Medic to get extra use from the mold, maybe someone in charge of release order has a strange fondness for Botcon 2001, etc.

Oh well. As long as we get an MP Galvatron before Kup, Springer or Wreck-Gar
Clay

Post by Clay »

Here's Scorpnok, Fast Track, Arcee, and Sky Lynx.

Apparently Fast Track can also be reconfigured into a staff for Scorpy. Neat.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Arcee's "hoverboard". :lol: That's one of the laziest Transformers I've ever seen.

Sky Lynx looks like a ton of fun in every configuration. I don't know if I can talk myself into paying retail for it, but I'll definitely grab one if he goes on sale like Jetfire did.

Scorponok is exactly as cheap as I expected...only half his shoulder cannons, no giant anti-gravity rifle, none of the cool little bits for base mode, Fast-Track sold separately and...are the insect legs a solid molded block? All that for a mere $225+ Canadian. :( I cannot believe how much they pinch pennies on such a high-end item.
Tantrum
Custom Title: Systems Analyst

Post by Tantrum »

Just about the only part of Arcee that is used in both modes is the bot chest/hood center, and this new figure uses faux parts for that. The Cyberverse figure doesn't fare much better. Years ago, I saw a photo posted here of an Arcee prototype that looked better than any of the released toys. I think that prototype became T30 Arcee, but the retail version was far less impressive. The only Arcee toy I've read about that interested me was the TR Blurr retool, and I never saw that in stores. I guess I'm sticking with the Microchanger.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Apparently the cyberverse Repugnus is out. Most of the paint apps went to the alt mode. Still not terrible for a one-step-changer though.

https://twitter.com/MoggyZpartuss/statu ... 8955773957

Denyer

Post by Denyer »

There are tiny thumbnails including Doubledealer, Runamuck, Snapdragon and Allicon around...

https://i.imgur.com/Lg7cVZ0.png

And Scorpy doesn't look bad at all with some mood lighting. Subtle dig at the 'hoverboard' too.

https://i.imgur.com/kolBY4j.jpg
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

And there's Airwave, who could probably be refactored into a mini Metroplex...

https://www.facebook.com/DaimChocReport ... 7214159371

https://i.imgur.com/iq7TIDh.png

edit: Also 6" Joes stuff...

https://www.instagram.com/toy_bro/?igsh ... S3UKXDVGso

Unicron

Post by Unicron »

Digging the look of the Allicon. Didn't realize it was the things from Quintessa, kept thinking it was the Alligaticon from City of Steel. Need to see the other mode of both it and the Quintesson but thus far I'm interested.

Not liking the concept of the 6 inch Joes. I get why they're doing it, since the size has been popular for Star Wars (and Marvel?), and they can probably get some kind of parts re-use across the lines. It's just growing up with the 80s/90s toys, Joes to me are 3 and 3/4 inch. Anything else seems wrong.