Advice sought (general thread)

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Clay

Advice sought (general thread)

Post by Clay »

We really ought to have a thread where we can ask the forum for recommendations or post questions about figures. So here it is.
Clay

Post by Clay »

BBTS has the TFC Liokaiser set available on heavy clearance, but I've read a bit of complaining about the set's combiner ports. I've gathered that one of the later figures contains replacement joints for the knees or something, but is the defect anything actually significant, or is it something fixable and relatively minor? I think Hound has this set...
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

I have this set. Functionally, its all fine its just that everything feels very loose. Whether its the plastics, endless mould reuse or a combination of the two, but all the figures feel incredibly wibbly. I'm gonna say its the plastics or something, because the detailing and what have you is very crisp.

Stood next to the earlier retail releases of Superion and Mensor he feels very light and there's a noticeable difference in quality.
Hound

Post by Hound »

I think that individually all the figures are fantastic. The only thing I've worried about are the thin delicate looking wings and hinges on a few of them. I've broken one of the green tail fins on the "Leozack".

Combined it's a bit less fantastic. The connections for the limbs really aren't very strong. Especially you're going to find that the legs just don't feel very stable. It looks impressive enough combined but you're going to struggle posing it in anything that isn't a standing straight pose.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

No links to sellers please, but has anyone dipped into the current generation of MP KOs? "Shockwave" is currently going for about thirty-five quid from sellers with genuine reviews, which seems about right for a simple design with no vehicle manufacturer licensing TT are pricing themselves out of a market with.

And I absolutely haven't just ordered one.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Denyer wrote:No links to sellers please, but has anyone dipped into the current generation of MP KOs? "Shockwave" is currently going for about thirty-five quid from sellers with genuine reviews, which seems about right for a simple design with no vehicle manufacturer licensing TT are pricing themselves out of a market with.

And I absolutely haven't just ordered one.
I have a Ratbat KO... is that current? He seems like a legitimate product that was rejected for some very minor quality control issues. Haven't tried any of the larger figures, but a cheap-ish Shockwave does sound tempting.

I've ordered the TFC Liokaiser, which should be here in a few days. We'll see if I need to murder Hound then. :p
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

I eagerly await your report on TFC Liokaiser. If you don't wind up doing bad things to Hound, and they're still on sale Friday, I'll probably order a set.
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
Hound

Post by Hound »

I've warned you. Prepare to be disappointed in the combined mode. And be careful when transforming them.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Clay wrote:Haven't tried any of the larger figures, but a cheap-ish Shockwave does sound tempting.
Minor leftover mould flash and using a dark metal spring for the hose would've made more sense than trying to ape the official one by painting it. It's designed to be removeable... plus without is more ActionMaster-y. Some of the hands are a bit loose. But for less than a third of official import price for something that frankly isn't as sharp a design as two other 3P ones? It's a bit of a no-brainer.
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

In all honesty, I'm just looking for a set that's a good representation of Breastforce that's moderately affordable. The G1 versions, and their KOs from the same era, are horrifically expensive, HasTak really dropped the ball on the CW version(in my opinion, at least), and the super cheap KO sets do away with the breastplates and replace Hellbat with Doublelealer. And the Kabaya set I found was awful.

From the pics, at least, these guys look beautiful.
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

Clay

Post by Clay »

TFC Hades/Liokaiser came in today. Spent a good three hours going through them and slowly building the combined mode. The set definitely has both design flaws and quality control problems (which I will document in a bit), but yaaas, this'll do.

The combined mode definitely has a wobbly-ness to it, but good poses can be had with patience. I was going to post a bunch of pictures, but I think this short video of the combiner withstanding the assault of my kitten Charlie is pretty convincing.

Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

He looks pretty good. And Charlie didn't knock him down.

Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

BREASTFORCE HAS ARRIVED!!!!!! And overall, I am well pleased. They aren't perfect(Leozak and Drillhorn's heads are a bit wobbly, some of Leozak's joints are very stiff), but they feel very solid. Drillhorn and Killbison are surprisingly heavy, Hellbat and Gaihawk look great. If I have a real gripe with the look of any of them, it's Jalgar. He looks a lot more massive than I was expecting.

The only one I've really messed with so far is Leozak. But from messing with him and Jalgar, these guys are definitely a little over-engineered. And it looks like these six could mop the floor with most of my TR and CW figures.

Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

On a more general advice front.....

I’m thinking about ordering the Wei Jiang oversized KO MP Ironhide. It looks pretty good, and not only does it look to be a quality build, it’s cheaper than the official version(and through some reengineering, does away with the hip panels). So my question is: has anybody else bought these Wei Jiang figures? If so, are they good quality? And is TF-Direct a good company to deal with as they appear to be the only place I’ve seen the figure for order?

Warcry

Post by Warcry »

I haven't ordered any of the Wei Jiang figures myself, but I've heard nothing but good things about all of the things they've produced. Quality is allegedly as good as the official stuff.

No idea about TF-Direct.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Have bought from TF-D and had quick service, and would certainly recommend WJ based on their upgraded Evasion Prime and smaller figures such as the OS 3P Throttlebots and OS TR Skullcruncher.
Tetsuro
Protoform
Custom Title: Poe Dameron did nothing wrong

Post by Tetsuro »

Warcry wrote:I haven't ordered any of the Wei Jiang figures myself, but I've heard nothing but good things about all of the things they've produced. Quality is allegedly as good as the official stuff.
I wish that applied to the G1 KOs too.
HotShot81
Protoform

Collector's Question

Post by HotShot81 »

Now we all know boxing errors or bots with manufactures flaws are usually worth more than the perfect ones.

I got my hands on a Titans Return Cosmos, and like a load of bots he's waiting for several things until I let him out.

Thing is I noticed the box was not sealed correctly. Instead of the plastic being a straight on with the box, it's leaning to the left enough so that I could easily get say a knife in there.

I am just wondering if this error somehow makes it worth more in the future to collectors?
Clay

Post by Clay »

HotShot81 wrote:I am just wondering if this error somehow makes it worth more in the future to collectors?
Not likely. The people that chase that sort of thing are looking generally for stuff from decades ago. There's no qualitative difference between a boxing error from 1988 and one from 2017 mind you, but rather there's just no market.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Anyone have Susanoo / Bludgeon? I really like the look of it, but wanted to know if there's... anything to know before I buy one.