Advice sought (general thread)

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Does anyone know what kind of figure stands are compatible with the peg holes they've been including in most transformers for the past few years?

I know that the peg holes are included for that purpose, but I can't remember which stands they're designed for, or even if it matters.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

They're the same sized peg as you'd find on Figmas -- I've currently got Misfire hanging out in jet mode on the stand that came with one of my Links. So anything that's marketed as compatible with them should work with Transformers too.

I'm fairly sure that Japanese stands have fairly standardized peg sizes, so it shouldn't be too tough to track some down that are compatible.
Tantrum
Custom Title: Systems Analyst

Post by Tantrum »

I've got a 3-pack of "Bandai Tamashii Stage Act.5 for Mechanics Clear" that work with TFs. All the other writing on the box is in Japanese. I had to tighten a screw to make it support a figure's weight, but have had no other problems. I think they're on Amazon.

The holes in TFs also fit the rods/pegs used by some Mega Blocks sets to make roll bars, exhaust pipes, and such.

I've attached a pic showing what you get and how I'm using it. Skybyte is the simplest, just a large rod plugged into the base. Highbrow has the large rod and base with two small rods and two hinges used to reach the top. Thundercracker doesn't have the mounting hole, so I have one of the flat claws grabbing his bot mode head to hold him steady. I took another flat claw, the last small rod, and some LEGO and Mega Blocks to make a 4th stand for Jetstorm.

In front are the other pieces. The 4 barely visible ovals are used to connect the bases to make a larger base. You can see the holes they connect to along the base edges. Then there's the 3rd hinge, 3 broad claws, and the 3rd flat claw.

My only complaint is that the holes on the bases are different sizes than those on the small rods, hinges, and figures. So, you can only plug large rods into bases, you can't use large and small rods to mount multiple small figures to the same base.
Attachments
stands.JPG
Alleged "poems"
that don't follow a rhyme scheme
are not poetry
Clay

Post by Clay »

This is very helpful. Thanks!
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

I completely forgot when I posted before, but I had a package of bootleg Tamashii stands (Act 4s I think, not Act 5s) slowly making their way from China. They finally showed up last night, and while I mainly got them for my Marvel figures, they work great for smaller Transformers as well. They're scaled for five- or six-inch figures, so Titan Master vehicles, Legends and Deluxes all work well with them.

They're all over eBay and I think I paid a bit over $1.50 a pop with free shipping. I don't even know what I'll do with all of the dozen I bought, but if I ever needed more I would be totally okay ordering more KOs. The quality is fine on all the ones I've set up so far, the joints are tight and the plastic isn't any more brittle than you'd expect from something this thin and clear. The only visible sign that they're fakes is the occasional air bubble inside (as you'll see on clear-molded TF accessories all the time) and some mold flash that wasn't properly cleared away, but is easy to clean up.

They also come with a lot of different bits (one articulated arm and one straight arm, an "extender" rod that you can use to raise the figures a bit higher and lots of different claw options). The bases are smaller than the ones Tantrum posted, but rectangular, so if you're looking to chain multiples together they'd be easier to work with than the Act 5's asymmetrical hexagon. You could probably get pretty creative combining different bits to count multiple figures per stand as well, but I'd imagine that balance would get pretty dicey quickly if they've got any mass at all.

The arms aren't as heavy-duty, though. I'm not sure they'd do a very good job holding up a Voyager-class figure. But they're a good option for smaller stuff.
Tetsuro
Protoform
Custom Title: Poe Dameron did nothing wrong

Post by Tetsuro »

Say, is Thrust the only G1 conehead that actually had firing projectiles?

I've been thinking about getting the trio but the old Takara reissues are really pricey these days, but then I realized that it doesn't really make any difference with Ramjet and Dirge if neither one of them had any spring-loaded projectiles to nerf.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Thrust is the only one with shooty missiles, yes. Whilst the original Takara reissues are expensive, the Platinum reissue set of all 3 from a couple of years back can be found cheaply enough.
Tantrum
Custom Title: Systems Analyst

Post by Tantrum »

Warcry wrote:They're the same sized peg as you'd find on Figmas -- I've currently got Misfire hanging out in jet mode on the stand that came with one of my Links. So anything that's marketed as compatible with them should work with Transformers too.
Does Misfire have the hole on the bottom? I was planning to use leftover stand bits to make something for Slugslinger, but his hole is on the aft end. I was still able to do it, but I had to make a second support out of clear Legos to balance him.

I used the leftover grippers shown above to make Attack on Titanmaster. The nape is the weak point, because you have to decapitate Revolver. The support frame is made of a clock tower that came with a Mega Blocks set.
Attachments
AttackTitanMaster.JPG
Alleged "poems"
that don't follow a rhyme scheme
are not poetry
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Misfire's is on the aft as well, probably in the same spot that Slugslinger's is. He didn't get a secondary port on his underbelly the way that Triggerhappy did, he just reuses the robot mode one.

It's funny you mention leftover stand bits, because I actually spent some time earlier this week drilling fitting holes into some of my acrylic risers (a fancy way of saying "repurposed Ferrero Rocher boxes and clear dollar store drawer inserts") to make extra bases for all the extra parts I've got left over. Actually seems to have worked out pretty well so far, and I'll probably wind up with close to double the number of stands when I've finished.
Tetsuro
Protoform
Custom Title: Poe Dameron did nothing wrong

Post by Tetsuro »

Skyquake87 wrote:Thrust is the only one with shooty missiles, yes. Whilst the original Takara reissues are expensive, the Platinum reissue set of all 3 from a couple of years back can be found cheaply enough.
Same goes for the earlier Commemorative Series Dirge. Unfortunately Hasbro never reissued Ramjet in that line so getting the Takara reissues of both him and Thrust would be pretty costly - cheaper to just get the Platinum and then deal with the leftover Thrust.
Clay

Re: Advice sought (general thread)

Post by Clay »

So, does anyone have something nice to say about Combiner Wars/Unite Warriors Devastator? I've passed on it until now, but the Takara version that has elbows and whatnot has been reissued, and it does look okay-ish next to the new Omega Supreme...

I'm tempted. I know it's not great, but does anyone have any praise or warnings about it?
Unicron

Post by Unicron »

Haven't had any problems with my Devastator, though I should note that I haven't really broken it down to the individual Constructicons often or run it through varying action poses. So I can't really speak to any durability issues from repeated fiddling.

I know it's not 'teh best toy evar' or anything but I like it. Good solid choice if you're after a big Devastator you want to chuck on a shelf and have tower over most everything.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Thank you. That's more or less what I thought. I'll look into getting one to go with Omega. :)
Unicron

Post by Unicron »

You're welcome. Glad to be of help. Maybe should have mentioned I have the Unite Warriors version, though that doesn't really impact my prior statements.