[REPAINT] Titans Return Getaway (WIP)

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
ganon578

[REPAINT] Titans Return Getaway (WIP)

Post by ganon578 »

Being disappointed in the lack of paint on my TR Getaway, I've decided to spruce him up a bit with new details. I've never painted a TF before, so this will be a first (I'm not counting just painting some rims). I've painted miniatures before, but nothing to this degree. I grabbed some Testors metallics and flats and got to it this past weekend.

I just hope the metallic blue I've chosen for the arms works out. The red I picked for some detailing seems to match the transparent window color more than the red paint on the figure. I've got a lot more to do, but the face is done. More to come!
Attachments
IMG_4657.jpg
Clay

Post by Clay »

Excellent, tiny work so far. White and yellow paint are annoying to work with, and especially so in such small amounts.

:up:
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Thanks! I've made some progress over the last couple days on other parts, notably the legs. The paints seem to be curing quite well already, but I also live in a fairly arid climate.

The arms and the chest are becoming tricky, but I think they'll turn out fine as well. The metallic blue is filling in nicely with additional thin coats. Hopefully in the next couple weeks it'll all be done and I will post some more.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Everything is coming along. Still have a couple more coats and touch-ups to do, but overall pretty happy how it's going. Gotta pick up a new bottle of flat white tonight to finish the crotch area. Attached some before and afters of the multitude of parts.

I've been actively staying away from painting joints, so I don't have to punch out pins or worry about wear or stickiness for movement/transformation.
Attachments
IMG_4662.jpg
IMG_4651.jpg
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

This is coming along nicely! I'm looking forward to seeing the final product.

Avoiding painting joints is always a good idea, though sometimes it can be a headache in practice with how many moving parts a Transformer has.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Warcry wrote:This is coming along nicely! I'm looking forward to seeing the final product.

Avoiding painting joints is always a good idea, though sometimes it can be a headache in practice with how many moving parts a Transformer has.
Thanks!

Luckily, Getaway doesn't have too many joints, so it worked. The bits of white in the joints here and there work fine, I think, as the change in color isn't too jarring.

I finished him up over the weekend, but he still needs some time to cure before I transform him. He's all reassembled and ready to go! The only thing that bugged me is one of the shoulder screws would not go in straight, so I think it's cross-threaded, and the head stripped a bit. Luckily it's in there nearly flush, so it won't be an issue and there aren't any gaps in the torso because of it.

I don't mind the gloss finish as of now, but I do have some Dullcote if I want to try it. Do any of you guys have a perspective on Dullcote over a gloss enamel? I don't know how well that would work. Just curious. I also didn't touch the red on the chest, so there's a bit of a mismatch there, but I think it works well enough for now.

I need to get a photo with some flash for some clarity as well. It's hard to see the differences in blue and black, especially on the arms.

[ATTACH]11900[/ATTACH]
Attachments
IMG_4702.jpg