Transformers TCG (WotC)

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
ganon578

Transformers TCG (WotC)

Post by ganon578 »

Is anyone around here playing this?

My kids (8 & 6) recently started getting Pokemon cards, which I am not into at all. However, I started picking up some of the Transformers TCG cards by Wizards of the Coast.

I grabbed the 'Autobot Starter Deck' along with several blind packs, and immediately remembered why I had gotten out of any sort of TCG at all - doubles. Not that it's a terrible waste of money, but being excited about getting a pack only to have the lone character card be another Ramjet sure feels that way. Not too far after that I have 4 doubles, and decided just to grab some off eBay as a more cost effective measure.

Anyhoo, I've got a good selection of Autobots and Decepticons now, and I've been teaching my kids how to play the game. It's honestly quite fun! It has some complexity, but for the sake of playing with my kids you can strip down the rules to whatever you like. This makes it much easier for them (and myself) to understand and just have fun with the whole thing. I really like it, but I don't see myself going bonkers buying cards nor getting into intricate deck building or anything.

Just wanted to see if anyone else on here was into it. At the very least, the cards have some really nice artwork that displays well.
Warcry

Re: Transformers TCG (WotC)

Post by Warcry »

I've considered grabbing some, but haven't seen them in stores at all just yet. I'm pretty disappointed that the "starter set" doesn't seem like it would be enough to actually play the game though, since it's just Autobot stuff? Though I'm not sure if I'd actually want to play the game anyway, or just collect the character cards. And it sounds like those are only one per pack? Blah.
ganon578

Re: Transformers TCG (WotC)

Post by ganon578 »

The starter set is all Autobots. It says it's for two people, but that's misleading. There are 4 Autobot character cards and somewhere like 40 cards in the deck - which is more what a single person needs to start, but you can split it and play a really simple version.

Otherwise, the booster packs are about $4/ea. USD and only come one character per pack, with 7 deck cards. After about 10 packs and a few duplicate characters, I decided to grab who I wanted online on the cheap so I had an even number of 'Bots and 'Cons to choose from. As it is, I have a rare Optimus that dominates any of the Decepticon cards, so I've told the kids they're barred form using it, since I kept losing LOL.

Any way you slice it, you'd need to invest some money to get a worthwhile set. It's fun and has cool concepts, but without people to play against it's useless aside from the art. Luckily I have my kids around to play, so it gets good use.