Custom Paintjobs

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Brave Maximus

Custom Paintjobs

Post by Brave Maximus »

Hi all!

It's been a LONG time since I posted....
But my son and I were going through my old TF collection (with thoughts to sell) - and I found that some of my old Transmetals were... flaking. I know this is common, particularly in southern Ontario where freeze/humidity it really rough on stuff.

I've gotten into 40k and Star Wars X-Wing/Armada and become quite good at painting... I was wondering if there's any sort of market/interest for custom paint jobs on TF's - or if it's purely a personal enjoyment thing?

Love to hear thoughts.

Cheers!
Denyer

Re: Custom Paintjobs

Post by Denyer »

AFAIK frenzyrumble is still selling -- https://www.flickr.com/photos/accardi1/

Not sure that prices are likely to cover the time investment. I've bought custom-painted stuff, TF and 3P, a handful of times (or things with upgrade kits already added) and it's usually been at or below original cost; unless the work's to a very high standard and on desirable characters, the fandom seems to prefer minty to altered. Maybe Siege will have some effect on that.

edit:

For instance, I was considering this which has been on eBay for months if not longer -- https://i.imgur.com/vkpqF0Y.jpg

Personally it's a hard sell over the official one, which lists at over twice as much -- https://i.imgur.com/QKPXbOq.jpg
Brave Maximus

Post by Brave Maximus »

Denyer wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:17 am AFAIK...
Thanks for the response man!

Coming from WH40k, where "pro-painted" is a community in-joke, I wasn't expecting to double the value or anything. It's just that some of the metal flaking is really bad, and I feel bad for trying to sell it for anything. Where-as I can clean it, paint it, recover some cost, not feel like a scummy human being.

That being said... that one you put a picture up of... that's... wow... "pro-painted". Maybe I hang around Gundam-freaks a bit too much... because that's not a good example....

I guess with that example.... I could try one and eat the cost....
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Honestly, I'd be surprised if you'd find too many people willing to spend money on customized Beast Wars stuff. It's possible, but in general the customs that tend to sell in this fandom mostly seem to be G1 nostalgia pandering stuff. And honestly even that seems to have declined a fair bit, now that both Hasbro and third parties are spamming the market with so much product and so many characters. Fewer people are willing to pay for a customized figure of character X when there's probably going to be an actual figure of them available in the short term.

But the figures you're talking about working on are basically worthless as-is, if they're as bad as some of the Transmetals I own. And it sounds like this is something that you already have most of the supplies for, so it's not like you'd be spending much money to do it. If it's something you're going to enjoy, why not give it a try? Worst case scenario is you wind up with a totally unique figure for your own collection and something you can show off and say "I did that!"
Clay

Post by Clay »

Yeah, I'd say it's best to either sell them as-is or paint them for yourself. Anybody looking for Transmetals and Transmetal 2s nowadays knows about the paint flaking.

Doing a repair paint job in advance for someone that specifically wants it is one thing, but just to list it on an online flea market like ebay? Nah.
Brave Maximus

Post by Brave Maximus »

That's the difference in fandoms, I guess... WH40k, Gundam... a good paintjob can sell a crappy model...

Ah well - good to know :D
Thanks guys
Strela_999
Protoform

Post by Strela_999 »

Yeah, that's a whole different level compared to "pro-painted" miniatures for tabletop wargames (because don't worry, the horrors sold as "pro painted" in WH40K exist as well in the historical wargame world, they're just rarer and cheaper due to the smaller size of the communities and markets)!
I'll see if I can order one as a gift some day...