Captain Marvel!

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.

Genis-Vellous

Okay Cliffy, I'll buy it!
25%
Hot girl-on-girl action you say? I'll subscribe!
25%
I did prefer the mid-90s series as Genis got to smack Rick Jones, but Peter David's a damn fine writer...
25%
Oh no, I preferred it when he met such creditable and not-at-all silly enemies such as those Shadow People and Nitro
25%

Total votes: 4

Cliffjumper

Captain Marvel!

Post by Cliffjumper »

You need to buy this book. This thing is funny, exciting, clever and occasionally features hot girl-on-girl action [honest]. Please get buying on this thing or it's going to get cancelled! Don't get put off by the 70s stuff about the guy in pants who hung around with Rick Jones too much, this is about a guy in pants who hangs around with Rick Jones too much. Okay, ignore that bit, but it's a bloody fantastic series and the new #1 is a great jump-on!
angloconvoy

Post by angloconvoy »

You missed out the, I already buy it every month cos its one of the best books on the shelf ooption cliffy. Why were all those men feeling up an elephant? Classic.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

It's fantastic stuff... It actually took me a while to really get into it, as lots of shops around either of my locations were rubbish at getting it in, so I've only been reading solidly since about #20... it's probably my favourite book at the mo, what with Geoff Woods arsing up Avengers and all... My favourite character's... Christ, my memory sucks. Lorraine, isn't it? Marlo's ghost friend? She. Rocks. It'd be a shame if Marlo & Lorraine aren't around much for the 'new' series after the Moondragon thing... Incidentally, reckon we're justified adding Heather to the list of gay comic characters? I'm not sure about the new costume [the one on the Alex Ross cover], but then it took me a while to get used to the 'Avengers Forever' one, as I quite liked Genis' look in the second series.

I loved the Time Flies story... The guy who uses a grand comic shop opening to get the blood of 100 virgins... When Rick tries to kill himself with a joke knife... the parts where Genis/Rick and Marlo/Lorraine have those conversations when both are talking to their alter-egos as well and get thoroughly confused... the way JMS just hangs around Marlo's store... even the letters page is as funny as hell! A quick sample

Hi,
I've been reading Captain Marvel for 20 issues [Cool! I only read the Fantastic four, have you got any spares you can send me?]

Probably my favourite scene so far is when Drax is trying to buy some mint cookies off a girkl scout for Heather, and breaks down crying when she only has chocolate.

And people claim it's not as good as the Jim Starlin stuff. Bollocks.
angloconvoy

Post by angloconvoy »

Indeed. And yeah, I'm also in the "here's hoping they don't drop the superb supporting cast they've built up" camp. Is heather gay.....hmmmm. Maybe?

I've only been reading myself for about the last 6 months, but I've managed to pick up nearly every back issue, and its a consistantly damn god series.

Oh, and on a side note, if you like the humour in c.m. you should give gail simone's agent x (formerly deadpool) a go.
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Post by Cyberstrike nTo »

It is the Marvel comic I look forward the most to reading every month. Bill Jemas (Marvel's prez) needs to be Bitch-slapped for giving Peter David grief.
Please visit Outlaw Colony my new message board it's a fun site for fun people.
BlueBlaster
Protoform

Post by BlueBlaster »

Peter David is one of my fav writers!
Too bad that they don't sell Captain Marvel comics here in Sweden.
So Quicky,have you moved to your new place yet?
Hey, comics fans!
Visit www.fanboyradio.com . It's the weekly radio show about comics. Joe Quesada,Larry Hama,Brian Michael Bendis,Greg Rucka,Mark Waid and many other comics creators have appeared on the show.
Wolfang

Post by Wolfang »

i can't GET Captain Marvel. The two comic shops nearest to me always sell out, plus I'm missing most of the back story. I have issues 0-6, but I can't get any more!
"I hold to a simple philosophy: assume everyone's a piece of c*** and then be pleasantly surprised if you find people who ain't."
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

I just started last month. I've got to buy the back issues sometime (if I can find them all, they only did 0-6 as a TPB, from what I've seen. I hope they decide to do the others soon, or it could get a bit pricey with the way back issue prices go up, that extra dollar makes a big difference when you're talking about 35 back-issues).
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

A bloke wot works at a comic shop told me Cap's fairly safe as from about #30 on it was in the top 50, and lots of diehards have been buying all the covers for #1... It's also outselling a few titles like Black Panther and X-Soldier, so it won't be next on the block...

Haven't had chance to pick up Agent X yet... Can't be any worse than X-Soldier though :)

Oh, and I've moved house but my scanneer ain't co-operating :(
angloconvoy

Post by angloconvoy »

Originally posted by Quicksilver

Haven't had chance to pick up Agent X yet... Can't be any worse than X-Soldier though :)

Oh, and I've moved house but my scanneer ain't co-operating :(

Apart from the silly name, its really a damn good book. Definitely worth giving a chance.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Yeh, I'd meant to give it a look but my money went and ran out. Wish I'd picked it over X-Soldier. Has anyone, anyone ever read Cable's solo stuff and enjoyed it?
angloconvoy

Post by angloconvoy »

Yes, but I was young and foolish.