Eminem.

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Zombie Dave
Protoform

Post by Zombie Dave »

Okay, I don't care if you don't like something or not. Its when you make negative sweeping comments about something I like that you probably know little about... that's when I'll get up and have a bit to say.

Pop music - popular music. Anything that is popular and music is pop music. People look at the charts today, full of rubbish as it more or less... that is what people seem to be classing as pop music. The stones are a popular band. They are pop music.

Pop... it's just a stupid ****ing label. It gets in the way of trying to discuss something.
Redstreak
Protoform

Post by Redstreak »

I've heard pop divided into different categories for the purposes of cutting down on things like this...the likes of Britney Spears and the boy bands, for instance, being classified as 'teenie pop'. I don't really know if this works too well, but I also don't listen to 'popular music' stations...but I also think classifying Pop as 'popular music' isn't happening so much anymore round here...for instance, something played on the pop station and the rock station gets called Pop-Rock.

So I dunno about categorizations...me, I just likes what I likes, damn anyone's opinions.
Fly,the
Protoform
Location: ZOO TeleVision Command Center, St. Petersburg, Russia

Post by Fly,the »

I think some Rap is garbage, mainly gangstah and the pimp rap. Though early rap was okay, rap that mixed with politics.

Personally I prefer Rock all the way, Rolling Stones, U2, Pink Floyd, etc...

Opera is okay somewhat too. Though Teenie-Bubble-gum Pop is garbáge, as with Rap-Rock (Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit)

Somebody needs to clean up all the trash... The next big marketted thing will be Rock, 'tis already happening. 'tis sad times in the music scene these days, everything is going down the drain.

There's my two cents on the issue,
The FLY

P.S. Vote Communism...
godzilla
Protoform

Post by godzilla »

I make these negative sweeping comments about rap because i don’t like it. I have herd lots of rap and hip hop none of it apples to me.

Just to clarify stones were a rock and roll band that were popular, this dose not make their music pop music.
Zombie Dave
Protoform

Post by Zombie Dave »

It does make them pop!

Get that into your head. Popular music - pop music.

It's ****ing simple.

so...

Just to clarify stones were a rock and roll band that were popular, this dose make their music pop music.
godzilla
Protoform

Post by godzilla »

Dude did i run over you dog or something? Get over it. Pop and Rock are two different forms of music. That's like saying Metallica (heavy metal) are pop because they are so popular.
Zombie Dave
Protoform

Post by Zombie Dave »

Get over what exactly... If you don't want the conversation to exist, stop it by not responding.

I'm merely stating a point, which is that I am sick of people saying 'pop music sucks' or words to that effect, treating it like a genre...

It's just pissing me off, so I'm venting a little.
godzilla
Protoform

Post by godzilla »

It is a genre. What kind of music is Britney Spears, backstreet boys and crap like that then?
Zombie Dave
Protoform

Post by Zombie Dave »

You have actually got me smacking myself across the face here.

Yes, that is pop music. It is popular. What is Britney Spears... Well, she just has songs written for her from various genre that are watered down and made accessible for the kids. More often than not, I guess if we're sticking straight to easily defineable genres... I'd say RnB at the moment.

The most popular music tends to go through fads... at the moment, it's the watered down manufactured stuff that the wee nippers are gulping up.

'Britney Spears, backstreet boys and crap like that then?' are reffered to as pop because at the moment they are popular. If they were crap... but still got coverage, they would probably be reffered to as; rnb...? or even just singers.
godzilla
Protoform

Post by godzilla »

No Metallica isn't pop, or even close to it. Pop has become it's own genre over the past couple of decades. Go to a cd store and look through the categories, country and western, heavy metal alternative, and pop. and where do the unsuccessful albums go from the aforementioned artist??????? Oh what do you know, in the pop section.
Zombie Dave
Protoform

Post by Zombie Dave »

How does this grab you for an answer.

**** the cd stores they're run by a bunch of ****s.

*edit*

Pop is not a genre. genre is a load of **** anyway. Metalica are pop/rock, if you insist on filing them into a niche.

I mean, think about it. Apparently, there are genre called 'alternative' and 'indie'.

What the **** does that mean to the casual music buyer? **** all. So whack them under a convinient umbrella called 'pop', so your granny can go into woolworths and buy it.

*edit*

You seem to be coming at this from an 'all pop is band' angle. That is the biggest mistake here. Popular does not usually mean best, but it doesn't automatically mean it is bad.

I like lots of stuff that could be classed as pop. I just call it how I hear it though. 'guitary', 'downbeat', whatever. I ust use general verbs to describe the rough sound.
Sixswitch

Post by Sixswitch »

Zombie Dave with the scary sig is right. Pop is not a genre. Let's take for instance... Trance music. It's trance music because the beat rhythm is a certain amount (buggered if I know what. Buggered if I care), and the style is quite definitive. Likewise with rock. The style is quite definitive.

With pop, there is no 'style'. Gangsta's Paradise was pop, the Outhere Brothers were pop. Britney Spears is pop. Basement Jaxx are pop. The Beatles were pop. The Stones were pop... What do these bands have in common musically? Bugger all. What else do they have in common? They were/are popular, mainstream music.

-Ss

EDIT: Just looked it up. It's 8 beats per second bar I think
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Yup, pop's as useless a genre term as the aforementioned indy [indy means anything, absolutely anything, on an indy label... if I recorded myself farting and put it out on my own record label, it's be indy music]... the lesson? Don't point the shotgun if the barrel's crooked. Pop's not a genre, it's a constanlty shifting label. If Metallica were to get a single that went to #1 for three months, they would be pop.
godzilla
Protoform

Post by godzilla »

First of, Metallia not pop/rock but instead and take notes for this one children, heavy metal. Any one that says otherwise is obviously cant tell the difference between music and ring tone.

As for weather pop is a genre or not it is.
1. Pop is popular music
2.It is also a song structure.

The form of pop that i hate so much is the combination of both, Britney Spears, Ricki Martain and the spice girls all fit into this category. Its the pop to which i refer to in early posts

Just to clarify i do like many things that could be classified as pop (def 2.) as stated in my second post (The Whitlems)

Post by Ultimate Weapon »

Originally posted by godzilla
First of, Metallia not pop/rock but instead and take notes for this on.

As for weather pop is a genie or not it is.
Oh mighty Genie of the lamp, grant me these 3 wishes.

I would say Metallica is popular metal:p
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Y'know, I'm finding it incredibly hard to take this guy's argument seriously when his english is atrocious.
Sixswitch

Post by Sixswitch »

Pop has a song structure? OK then clever boy. What is it? Tenner says you can't tell me, because it doesn't exist.

-Ss
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Originally posted by godzilla
First of, Metallia not pop/rock but instead and take notes for this one children, heavy metal. Any one that says otherwise is obviously cant tell the difference between music and ring tone.
As a genre, it is heavy metal. Presuming, of course, that you mean Metallica. Sadly, your superior posturing takes something of a knock when you spell their name wrong. It is also popular music, as in pop.

As for weather pop is a genre or not it is.
1. Pop is popular music
2.It is also a song structure.
1. Like Metallica, the Beatles, Linkin Park, the Prodigy, S Club, Ashanti, Eminem...
2. See Ss.' post...
Starscreamsghost

Post by Starscreamsghost »

Originally posted by Sir Auros
I don't hate rap just because of Eminem, I hate it because of all those gangster rappers and people like puff daddy who can't even get someone else to come up with original beats for them. I mean, it's not like they're musically talented anyway, so why use unoriginal compositions instead of just continuing to pay someone else to pump out their beats? There are a few rap songs I like (Baby Got Back comes to mind...), but overall, I think it's the worst genre of music, then New Metal, then Country, in that order. My opinions.

Your opinions, yes, but this has got to be one of the most uninformed opinions I've ever seen. Have you ever listened to The Roots?
Handsome Boy Modeling School?
Deltron 3030?
Nas?
Jurassic 5?
Dan the Automator?
Blackalicious?

It's painfully obvious that you're just another one of those guys who hears rap on the radio and decides to hate it without giving it a chance. You think there's no talent involved? The J5 boys are some of the most talented musicians in the world, and The Roots perform with a full live band which is world-class. It takes lots of talent. Period. Your opinion's the equivalent of saying that country sucks because you don't like Reba McIntire...it's your opinion, but that doesn't mean it's not a stupid one...
godzilla
Protoform

Post by godzilla »

My last post was done at 2:00am so i wasn’t really to concerned with the spelling at the time. Why don't you all just look at what i am saying instead of the way i spell it.