A Guiness Story

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Sheba
Protoform

A Guiness Story

Post by Sheba »

On Christmas Eve we were sitting around visiting (us, Granny, my Uncle [Dad's brother] and Aunt, and one cousin) and the subject of alcohol came up. My uncle said that when him and my dad were in their early twenties they got a half-sack of Guiness and figured they'd try it out. They tried EVERYTHING to tone down the bitterness enough to make it drinkable, including icing sugar :eek: but it was still "BLAH!!!*down the drain* My uncle said he figured they didn't even finish a whole bottle each. Granny said that when she and one of her sisters and her niece went to Ireland, they went to a pub and tried the Guiness cuz the tour guide said "You're in Ireland, you gotta try the Guiness!" They brought it over in HUGE cups (mugs?) and when granny tried it she went "This is SO bitter I can't drink it!" The tour guide suggested getting the bartender to add blackberry juice to improve the taste. So she did. And then she said that while the blackberry juice did make it better, she still couldn't drink it! She said she'd never tasted anything so bitter in her life!

I've never tried Guiness (not a beer drinker anyway; I don't see the sense in drinking anything that's even the TINIEST bit bitter ON PURPOSE--there's pleasanter tasting ways of inebriation :eyebrow: ) but one of my brothers has and he actually likes it.
"This appears to be a copy of Final Fantasy, which is a step up from a copy of Pearl Jam"-Ed the Sock, on Fromage 2002, about one of Creed's videos--"Bullets".
ThunderCracker84

Post by ThunderCracker84 »

are you kidding me? Guinness is like...one of the greatest beers around....I love the stuff. So good
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Draught Guinness isn't bitter, it's extremely smooth (original Guinness is, and has a crisp taste -- this is probably what is being referred to.) When in pubs, make sure that they observe the correct pouring method... if they hand a pint straight to you, send it back. It has to settle and be topped up.
Ravage
Protoform

Post by Ravage »

mmmmm Guiness yummy one of the few beers I like.
The bunnies, they give me knowledge it is neat.

The only necessity for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Savannahtron

Post by Savannahtron »

Originally posted by Stuart Denyer
Draught Guinness isn't bitter, it's extremely smooth (original Guinness is, and has a crisp taste -- this is probably what is being referred to.) When in pubs, make sure that they observe the correct pouring method... if they hand a pint straight to you, send it back. It has to settle and be topped up.

I think we call it draft beer over here. =)
Risk
Protoform

Post by Risk »

Guiness is lovely, its in me blood and I'm not even Irish.

When my mum was expecting me, she drank Guiness as it is a good source of iron, so a Guiness a day ain't bad for you.

My secondary school's trustee is a brewer, I think of Guiness, well there is a person on the board (dunno if this is orignal board and top position) but he is a Guiness (as in surname).

One of my martial arts' branches trains in a Guiness brewing factory in Park Royal in their gym.

Ooh and I got Guiness for Christmas from me parents.

The good thing about Guiness is after you've had 4 you've had you dinner as well. Great student drink.

Even though I've never had Irish Guiness, only the stuff in the UK, the Irish stuff is suppose to be a lot better.
God Of Gamblers
The Green Knight

Post by The Green Knight »

How DARE you speak about Guinness like that?!!!!!

Your family obviously has a problem with real beer. They sound like Candyasses to me. And that's more than a bit strange since you're Canadian. Guinness is a super smooth-booze; the real champagne of beers, unlike some other "beer" that claims to be, but is really crude swill that, like many american beers, tastes the way horse piss smells.

I'd hate to see them try Guinness Extra-Stout...
Ultimate Weapon

Post by Ultimate Weapon »

Does anybody like Boddingtons?
Risk
Protoform

Post by Risk »

Not really, I forced myself to finish a weeks old Boddingtons. Waste not want not. Prefer Guiness, but could get used to Boddingtons if I drank enough.
God Of Gamblers
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Originally posted by Risk
The good thing about Guiness is after you've had 4 you've had you dinner as well.

Yup...

Boddies is blegh... and never make snakebite with it...
Nova-Ting Ranger
Protoform

Post by Nova-Ting Ranger »

ah Guiness... I never had it, but my brother will every now again, say that Guiness is so thick and good, that he wants to pour it on his pancakes one of these days.
Sheba
Protoform

Post by Sheba »

Originally posted by Snake
How DARE you speak about Guinness like that?!!!!!

Your family obviously has a problem with real beer. They sound like Candyasses to me. And that's more than a bit strange since you're Canadian. Guinness is a super smooth-booze; the real champagne of beers, unlike some other "beer" that claims to be, but is really crude swill that, like many american beers, tastes the way horse piss smells.

I'd hate to see them try Guinness Extra-Stout...

Nah not my whole family--at least ONE of my brothers LIKES the stuff (don't know if the other one tried it). And what problem they do have is with bitterness, not with "beer." Some people are less tolerant of bitterness than others.
"This appears to be a copy of Final Fantasy, which is a step up from a copy of Pearl Jam"-Ed the Sock, on Fromage 2002, about one of Creed's videos--"Bullets".