Been having some computer problems lately that have been driving me up the wall.

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

Well, had a new heatsink installed today (the old one wasn't meant for an XP 2800) and the bill was just under $50 for a $20 all copper heatsink and labor. Before I was running around 135F as my usual temperature without putting a load on the processor and now it's down to 115F. Just played the Half Life 2 demo for about a half hour or so and that put it up to 123F. The damned little flame symbol was there at that point, but since I know the processor's been up high enough to force the computer to reset...

They also ran some tests off the clock to make sure the processor hasn't been damaged from running so hot and since the guy didn't bring it up when I picked it up, I'm assuming they found no problems.

Unfortunately, I deleted Knights of the Old Republic 2 last night, forgetting that I wanted to keep it and see if it would extract properly with my processor running at a decent temperature.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

50C is still pretty toasty—I'd expect a few degrees off that with a sufficiently conductive grease—but I doubt it's in any danger of catching fire...
nmathew
Protoform

Post by nmathew »

If you run this for a night, it will find pretty much any memory issue you could have with your RAM.

http://www.memtest86.com/
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

Lovely, so far it's completely hung today (not even the cursor would move) and was running at 133F right after that. I'm going to pull out the receipt and service stuff from the computer shop and will probably have to take it there again...though I'm also considering taking out my wireless card and seeing if that will lower the temperature any.

I never took the temperature prior to installing the card and did have some crashes before then, but not as frequently.

Damn dodgy ebay computer...