Smallville: Better than Buffy?

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Jetfire

Smallville: Better than Buffy?

Post by Jetfire »

I think so. Just spent the last 4 days watching series 2 and 3. WOW.
The central charatcer is not where nearly as annoying as Buffy, the plots are superb and the characters both timeless and very well developed. Lots more mystery too and the fact we know what edventually happens to the characters makes some of the story lines that bit more tragic. I mean you really feel for Lex and all he has to go through. Lionel Luther = Best villian ever by the way. What a b#####d.

Damn this series is good. Lex rules you all and Clark is the man. All this and I hear Lois Lanes appearences make it even better.
dEcEpTiCoN MEGAtron
Protoform

Post by dEcEpTiCoN MEGAtron »

Smallville = the reason I have cable.

Seriously, it's the only show that I follow on TV. I've got the first 3 seasons on DVD as well. The majority of the episodes are fantastic! Lana Lang, Lois Lane and Chloe Sullivan = hot. And yes, Lionel Luthor is one mean bastige.
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

We're currently about halfway through season 3 in Germany, so...

The first two seasons were complete and utter crap story-wise. Stupid MotW episodes, characters behaving like complete morons all the way, defying every single rule of common sense over and over again, and not getting anywhere actually. The only character that made the show actually bearable was Lex.

Now, season 3 is an improvement. But still not even remotely comparable to Buffy.
Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
Jetfire

Post by Jetfire »

Originally posted by Nevermore
We're currently about halfway through season 3 in Germany, so...

The first two seasons were complete and utter crap story-wise. Stupid MotW episodes, characters behaving like complete morons all the way, defying every single rule of common sense over and over again, and not getting anywhere actually. The only character that made the show actually bearable was Lex.

Now, season 3 is an improvement. But still not even remotely comparable to Buffy.

I disagree. The story is great. Nice and slow buring but initally in the background for charater build up.
Wolfang

Post by Wolfang »

Smallville is fantastic. John Glover (Lionel Luthor) does one fantastic portrayal of an utter b*****d. Wonder where his source material comes from....

The characters all seem to be developing nicely. I really like Clark Kent in the series. I suppose it's reassuring to know that even the World's Greatest Boy Scout isn't totally good. The episodes with red Kryptonite, in particular.

A great series all round though.
"I hold to a simple philosophy: assume everyone's a piece of c*** and then be pleasantly surprised if you find people who ain't."
Galvatron91

Post by Galvatron91 »

While I'm not certain if Smallville is as good as Buffy, it is a very good show...though there have been a few moments this year that have been complete crap.

I started watching Smallville back when it debuted. This season had some real crap to choke down and if they continue with this current Lana storyline much longer, I'm going to have to beat someone. The character Lana has never held anywhere near the appeal for me as Chloe or now Lois. She's far to fickle and reminds me a great deal of Buffy.

The other complaint I have about this season is the rather limited engagement between Clark and Lex. Their dynamic is one of the best aspects of the show and it's being poorly underused this season. There was a good swing of episodes this year that just flat stunk...however they have picked back up the past few weeks as Lois has become a seemingly permanent fixture.

*SPOILERS BELOW IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN SEASON 4 AND DON'T WANT TO KNOW WHAT IS GOING ON...SKIP!*

I do however, really like the fact that Chloe knows Clark's secret. I also really liked when they put him back with Alicia and was sad to see her character killed off so quickly. It was nice to see Clark in a relationship and getting him away from Buffy...er...Lana. Also, the sparring between Lois and Clark is brilliant and it is a great way to form a foundation for what will become the love of Superman's life.

Oh...and Krypto...that was brilliant! Far better and more realistic than the old comic book Krypto! Lois calling him Clarkie for most of the episode just to annoy...funny stuff.

Season 4's were tough for both Buffy and Angel, they had some of the best episodes on each show, but also a lot of things that left you head scratching. Season 4 of Smallville has been about the same. It looks like it might just be back on the upswing...but God, please let them find something more interesting to do with Lex!
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

I haven't seen all of Smallville, but, while good, I can't say that it's better than Buffy. Could Ms. Summers be annoying? Oh, yeah. But she was never the reason I watched the show. It was for the supporting cast, and the humor.

As far as Smallville goes, there are really only a few things that really make me want to tune in: Lex, Lionel, and Chloe. That's about it (though I have to admit to not seeing too much of Lois, thus far).
dEcEpTiCoN MEGAtron
Protoform

Post by dEcEpTiCoN MEGAtron »

Originally posted by Galvatron91
...but God, please let them find something more interesting to do with Lex!
I agree. He hasn't been seen in much of the recent episodes. My fav episode was "Memoria" of season 3. That was the one where Lex was trying to get his memories back and they show him as a kid with his baby brother. That was some of the best acting Michael Rosenbalm (sp?) has done and show us the early stages of Lex's childhood.

Season 4 has focused too much on Lana if you ask me. Her character has indeed become annoying and there are others who think the same. Seriously, she's mad at Clark one week and ok the next. Replace her with Lois and you'll make my day.

Also I don't know what they're doing with Lionel, but he needs to go back to being a ruthless b*stard. It was so much more fun and interesting to watch him that way.

BTW, if you're really into the show go to http://www.kryptonsite.com. They got lots of Smallville news and hints at upcoming eps.
Ultimate Weapon

Post by Ultimate Weapon »

As usual Jetfire is completely wrong.;)

As regards to Smallville what really was annoying in the first seasons was the reliance of kryptonite bad guys. Kid A trips on meteor rock, because superhuman alien. Kid B eats a kryptonite sandwich has amazing flatulence powers, etc... The supporting cast is weak as well. Chole and the token black guy have no appeal ever. Unless some can refute this claim. Keep in mind I haven't really watched it since Angel was cancelled.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Trying to buy Tom Welling as a fifteen year old (or whatever) is one of the most ludicrous things a TV series has ever asked me to do. And that includes accepting Chloe Annette as an actress.

Plus he's even more wooden than Jen Garner.

I like Smallville, don't get me wrong. The first half of season 1 had me asking why I'd spent money on it, but after then (and up till the end of season 2, which is as far as I've seen) I thought it was brilliant. Apart from the season 1 finale, which was naff (especially the tat that was the Remy Zero "cameo").

Lex, Lionel, Chloe and Clark's parents are by far the best things on the show.

Prefer Alias to it, though. And I regard Alias as ridiculously contrived nonsense.

Buffy's better, from what I've seen of Smallville. And Angel pisses over all three series I've mentioned in this post.

[I can't find the "wanted: dead or close to dead; for impersonating a superhero and crimes against acting" poster of Welling, sadly...]
CounterPunch
Protoform

Post by CounterPunch »

i really really really like smallville, i just watched season 1 in one day, thats 14 hours of smallville goodness

In terms of better than buffy, theyre two completely different shows, and its hard to compare. I enjoy Smallville alot more than i do buffy, but in terms of it being better... possibly, Lex Luthor is an amazing character, some of the verbal back and forth between him and his father is amazing, ive noted down so many quotes, just cos theyre so cool. I agree that some things are a little silly....

The villain of the week (while carrying on for a bit too long) was necessary, the show needed to find its feet before it lunged in to messin around with stuff

I dont like the fact that everytime they needed an answer to something youd have chloe going "oh, my contact at the [enter acronym here]" shes like, more connected than the President, and shes supposed to be a 15, 16 year old girl, at a high school, writing a stupid little school paper, where does she get them?
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Post by Cyberstrike nTo »

I've yet to see a complete episode of Smallville, Buffy, or Angel.
Please visit Outlaw Colony my new message board it's a fun site for fun people.
Sixswitch

Post by Sixswitch »

Originally posted by Cyberstrike nTo

So why post? The above contributes absolutely nothing to the topic.

-Ss
Galvatron91

Post by Galvatron91 »

There's this really neat device on web browsers these days, called a "back" button. It lets you "back" out of web pages that you have no real interest in viewing. Take a message board for example. Say you happen to wonder into a thread which you have no knowledge, interesting or anything to add whatsoever. Well, instead of looking like an ignorant mook...you can just hit this amazing gadget we call the "back" button and leave the topic, uninsulted!
Jetfire

Post by Jetfire »

Tom Welling is susposed to be Clark at 17/18 :p

Season 1 of Smallville was better than season 1 of Buffy though Buffy season 2 owns even Angel and anything I've seen of Smallville (though season 3 runs it close).

Buffy started losing it in series 4 and never quite recovered.
Any character introduced after Oz was always terrible and Buffy gradually got less and less likable and more arrogant and was never really humbled as she should have done to make her more human again.

Buffy Season 7 could have been the best they did feel the need to constantly focus on how Buffy was feeling and how more important she was over everybody. Angel was great for season 2 and 3 but beyond that main storieline I never seemed to get intrested if Wesley wasn't part of the focus. The change of pace in season 5 was a good idea but it never quite grabbed me (like many others).

Smallville is brilliantly written, yes there is some padding but the characters are soo well done (Smallville also has the advantage of 60 odd years of established characters) and plays on the fact we know the edventual outcomes of most of the characters really brilliantly to carve unexpected detours a or events on their journey to adulthood. Lex and the apparently evil Jor El being the finest examples.

I'll sidestep Lana (who is fine for at least 3 seasons)but character for character smallville has the best cast by a mile IMO. And what makes Smallville stories that much more involving is you care so much for them. I cried when Chloe (brilliant addition to the Supes mythos) gets blow up. I can't say the same for Doyle or Tara (who just came acroos as Willow lite). And Tara was they best Buffy character introduced after Season 3.

Whats great is all 3 of the discussed shows are soooo different and the discussion generated in this topic comparing their strengths and peoples preferences has been enjoyable. But Smallville is still the best ;)

P.S: Ultimate weapon, how an you critise the "Kryptonite" villan of the week when EVERY villian in Buffy is a vampire or demon from another dimention. At least they make a vast variation of what Kryptonite can do. I recall thinking how easy it was for Buffy after Season to almost absentmindely take out Vampires on a night strole. The Kryptonite effects will always be dangerous for Clark to battle due to their nature.
The fact Smallville was bombarded by Kryptonite is also a good allegory of places like in India (and elsewhere) some small towns and villanges that are victim of near by nuclear testing and the radiation and mutation problems to the local populationthat have come from that.

And saying Chloe having no appeal is pure BS. It is well documented that Chloe is one of the best and most popular characters on the show. It's even more intresting considering that she potentially could die before the series is finished. And while Chloe does have contacts it always intresting that she never reveals how she gets her information and her contacts are more for gossipy comic effect (she always knows whats going on) and have rarely, if ever, actually been used in the main plot.
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Originally posted by Galvatron91
There's this really neat device on web browsers these days, called a "back" button. It lets you "back" out of web pages that you have no real interest in viewing. Take a message board for example. Say you happen to wonder into a thread which you have no knowledge, interesting or anything to add whatsoever. Well, instead of looking like an ignorant mook...you can just hit this amazing gadget we call the "back" button and leave the topic, uninsulted!

:yawn: Spare me your lecture Erik I'm not in a very good mood and yet I'm going to try my best NOT to start a flame war.

Here's the main reason I don't watch Smallville:
I already know how the story ultimately ends.
Clark Kent becomes Superman, Lex Luther becomes his arch-nemisis, Lois Lane becomes a reporter for the Daily Planet and becomes Superman's Girlfriend (or wife), Lana Lang marries Pete Ross, and etc.

The story of Smallville sounds intresting I admit but I've been burned way too many times by people telling me: "Watch this show! Watch this show!" and when I do watch it I'm let down by the show because people have over-hyped it to death.
I WILL watch Buffy, Angel, and Smallville but only after the series is over and the die hard fans settle down or move on.
Then I can watch these shows and enjoy them without all the hype surrounding them.

As to posting in all your Buffy and Angel threads big fat hairy deal.
I think that it was Cliffy said it best: this is a public message board and if you don't want to deal with the public then don't post.
I was just stating a fact.
You see Erik when people talk about a show that I'm intrested in I listen. And when people asked a question I answered. I answered them honestly and quickly and move on.
If you don't like my answers Mr. Administor then delete my posts in those threads and move on, I won't be offened if you do that or send me a PM.
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

I WILL watch Buffy, Angel, and Smallville but only after the series is over and the die hard fans settle down or move on.

Well, both Angel and Buffy are over, and the fans show no signs of moving on or settling down, so I'd say there's no better time.
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Originally posted by fort_max
Well, both Angel and Buffy are over, and the fans show no signs of moving on or settling down, so I'd say there's no better time.

I know that but I want to wait a year or two so I can watch them
with a clearer mind. Also I don't have the money for any of the DVD sets.
Galvatron91

Post by Galvatron91 »

:yawn: Spare me your lecture Erik I'm not in a very good mood and yet I'm going to try my best NOT to start a flame war.

How about I just trash you in a public forum and if you don't like it you don't have to read it. Are you that ignorant or mentally deficient to comprehend a basic rule of etiquette on these boards? If you don't have something to add, don't post. Hit the back button and leave the thread. Everytime there is a Buffy/Angel thread you post "I haven't ever watched the show." WE GET IT!

As for your mood...gee, I'll try to muster up the strength to care...oh wait, sorry can't do that...in fact I'm paralyzed by not caring at all. Are you that starved for attention that you feel the need to chirp in when you have nothing at all to add? My God kid...instead of buying the DVD's that you are "so interested in" maybe you should scrape that money together and buy a clue.

And you're "best effort NOT to start a flame war" well, I find that statement as laughable as your "contributions" to the AWF...
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

I think that it was Cliffy said it best: this is a public message board and if you don't want to deal with the public then don't post.

I'm also anti-spam. You see, my standing that way [which you have twisted slightly to suit your own means, but sod it, I can't be bothered] involves people saying something. You said, basically, nothing.

Oh, and I've not seen much of Smallville. Dull 90210 with super-powers from what I have bothered watching. Lex is the only guy with any charisma, and that's rendered null and void by him looking like a toned version of Matt Lucas. Buffy and Angel both grabbed me straight away, largely through interesting characters and multi-layered scripts. I gave Smallville the same chance, and it blew it.

Actually, I gave it a better chance than Buffy or Angel, as I'd **** Kelly Brook over anyone in those shows [bar possible early Faith, before they toned down the Gothique look and turned her into a walking GAP advert], so I watched several more episodes of Smallville than the thing merited.