Fave Bands and general music taste

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Scarrita
Protoform

Post by Scarrita »

Originally posted by Thundercracker
I like his older stuff, the newer stuff just didnt strike well with me. And man, you should see him, his face looks like its falling apart and hes been lifting cheeseburgers more than weights lately

Well he is like 50 or close to it. And as far as his stuff goes I like it all; the hard evil rock, the bluesy metal, the industrial, the industrial metal... all up my alley. As a matter of fact i was listening to nothing but Danzig all night at work- No.1 through 8 and Black Aria... I was just in that kinda mood last night.
Faith is deciding to allow yourself to believe
something your intellect would otherwise cause
you to reject -- otherwise there's no need for faith.
Prowl1984

Post by Prowl1984 »

Its good to see a generally Good taste in music going on here, i'm liking the variety! I forgot To put Johnny Cash, Chevelle, Madness, BIlly Idol, Duran Duran, The Distillers, The Cure.
Anyone been to any decent gigs recently?
(are there anyother Filter fans on here?) :smokin:

"No point in long goodbyes, here's the door."

"Life's a trip, and then you die" -
Hunter S.Thompson
1937-2005 :smokin:
Ultimate Weapon

Post by Ultimate Weapon »

Originally posted by Scarrita
Well he is like 50 or close to it. And as far as his stuff goes I like it all; the hard evil rock, the bluesy metal, the industrial, the industrial metal... all up my alley. As a matter of fact i was listening to nothing but Danzig all night at work- No.1 through 8 and Black Aria... I was just in that kinda mood last night.

Did you find Circle of Snakes enjoyable? It seems that new fans love it where as the oldschoolers, that only listen to 1-4, hate it.
Shield Strike
Protoform

Post by Shield Strike »

I'm a big power metal fan, bands like Hammerfall, Angra, Dragonforce, 3 inches of Blood.
I'm a pretty big Maiden fan too, and i'm starting to really dig Dream Theater, Train of thought is great, particuarly the track Stream of Conciousness (sp).
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Vague sampling from my record collection, ignoring pretty much any act that's only released one album, as it's impossible (in my eyes) to judge somebody on the strength of one record. I'd hold up the Stereophonics as a good example of bands who started brilliantly and then turned to rubbish, but it happens that the new single's quite good, so I won't. Oops, just did. Ah well.

Aerosmith
Black Crowes
Blur
Charlatans/Tim Burgess
Chemical Brothers
The Clash
Depeche Mode
Embrace
Feeder
Foo Fighters
Fun Lovin' Criminals
Garbage
Gene
Green Day
Guns 'n' Roses
INXS
James
Led Zeppelin
Levellers
Lightning Seeds
Manic Street Preachers
Mansun
Matchbox 20
Muse
New Order/Electronic/Monaco
Nirvana
Oasis
Placebo
Primal Scream
The Prodigy
Queen
Queens of the Stone Age
Radiohead
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Stone Roses
Suede
Supergrass
The Tea Party
U2
Originally posted by Prowl1984

Manics @ Wembley back in December
GLC @ Cambridge last week

Going to see the Manics again at the Cambridge Corn Exchange next month.
Ozz
Protoform

Post by Ozz »

Look at the rank.

I listen to all kind of guitar/rock/metal (when it still resembles music) from Pink Floyd and Camel through Joe Satriani, Europe, Whitesnake, Skid Row, Guns N' Roses to Ozzy Osbourne, Iron Maiden and Judas Priest.
ASIA, few days ago. It was great. :)
Wildfire Herald

Post by Wildfire Herald »

Here we go in no particular order...

Deep breath...

Flaming Lips, Pink Floyd, Led Zepplin, AC/DC, Alice Cooper, Ozzy, Black Sabbath, Beck, Manson, NIN, Black Heart Procession, Del Tha Funky Homosapien, GFE, Modest Mouse, David Bowie, Gary Numan, Rolling Stones, Captain Beefheart, Tom Waits, Primus, Goriilaz, R.EM., Smashing Punpkins, Screamin' Jay Hawkins, Booker T and the MGs, Afrika Bambaataa, The Doors, Rammstein, White Stripes, White/Rob Zombie, Type O Negative, Rasputina, Bob Dylan, Tom Petty, probably more but that's all I can think of right now.
R.I.P. Hunter S. Thompson

"That's Claypool for ya; he's against a harmless drug, but for date-rape..."
"Just say "NO!" to Gonadial Irradiation." - Snake

"I would ride that pony in the most illegal and obscene way possible. " - Spengs

My want list
I need ROTS Clone Troopers
Civ

Post by Civ »

I have neither a favorite band nor genre. I listen to the song itself, and if I like it then I'll listen to it. I don't really bother learning about the band unless I'm flipping through the channels on my TV and something happens to catch my interest on VH1.
Thanks, Zeeks! Great job! :up:
CounterPunch
Protoform

Post by CounterPunch »

my favourites list is pretty small in

Metallica
The Killers
Muse
Dreamcaster (a local band)
The Maydays (a local band)
Feeder
Athlete

and i dont have a favourite music genre, i find categorising is stupid, ill listen to anything if it sounds good to my ears, hell i bought Ushers album yesterday
Scarrita
Protoform

Post by Scarrita »

Originally posted by Ultimate Weapon
Did you find Circle of Snakes enjoyable? It seems that new fans love it where as the oldschoolers, that only listen to 1-4, hate it.

As an "oldschooler"... I love it.

The problem with alot of the "oldschoolers" (from my experience) is that they just can't get over John Christ not contributing musically or being in the band any more. Get over it. He was a phenomenal guitarist for the band and his sound/style was just menacing but he's no longer in the band and Glenn (yes he is an EGOMANIAC, duh) is just using what he's got... and I like it still. Danzig will never have that truley EVIL feel that the band once did with 1 through 4... not gonna happen ever again. But as far as the last few albums go If you just listen them for what they are they are still quite fantastic. Granted they do fall into a more Industrial/metal category (Blackacidevil, Satan's Child, I Luciferi) but I tend to like that stuff anway so maybe I'm predisposed to liking the "newer" stuff so I guess it's just "lucky me".

But as far as Circle of Snakes goes it is purely a hard rock/metal album, all you hear in all the songs is nothing but Glenn's vocals, two guitars, a bass and a set of drums... That is it, no eletronics and it F'n rocks... And it sounds appropriately evil to boot so no complaints here about that either.

So yeah, I like it alot.

Does it harken back to the 1-4 days? Nope, and as I stated before nothing ever will. Those albums are unique as a whole and will never be duplicated so I'm just liking whatever I can get from Glenn and Co. I haven't been dissapointed yet so I'm happy with what I get.
Faith is deciding to allow yourself to believe
something your intellect would otherwise cause
you to reject -- otherwise there's no need for faith.
Wildrider

Post by Wildrider »

(are there anyother Filter fans on here?) :smokin:

Mm last saw Stellast*r at the Manchester Apollo I forget when last year some time.

I also hate the Libertines and any of that that we are so bad we must be good stuff that's out at the moment. Cooper Temple Clause I mean you!!!!
Baxter

Post by Baxter »

Zepplin
The Who
The Beatles
Clapton
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Ozzy
ZZ Top
B.B. King
Muddy Waters
John Lee Hooker
Ray Charles
Roy Orbison
Van Halen
Guns N Roses
Issac Hayes
Pitor Illich Tchaivosky
Modest Mussorgsky
Haywood Banks
Prowl1984

Post by Prowl1984 »

ahh i also forgot Pink Floyd and chemical brothers!

the last gig i went to was Interpol at Manchester Academyin December! it was awsome, i didn't expect the crowd to go as crazy as they did but it just added to the greatness of it, especially when they played Roland on the 2nd encore, everybody went nuts! im looking forward to july as im going to see REM :smokin:

Hunter S.Thompson
the_escaflowne_2k
Protoform

Post by the_escaflowne_2k »

im looking forward to july as im going to see REM :smokin:

me too, am very excited. last gig i went to was the Ga Ga's at my uni (hull).
"all i can say is that my life is pretty plain, you don't like my point of view you think that i'm insane"
Prowl1984

Post by Prowl1984 »

Ahh sweet, i've been waiting for a chance to see REM since i was 14, i can't wait :smokin:

Hunter S.Thompson
Sades

Post by Sades »

Taste? Very varied. Love variety.

Northern Pikes, KMFDM/MDFMK, Korn, The Tea Party, Starsailor, Metallica, Rob Zombie, Type O Negative, Oasis, Basement Jaxx, Flaming Lips, Bright Eyes, Usher, Kelis, The Crystal Method, Placebo, Disturbed, U2, Saliva, Depeche Mode, Ozzy, NIN, White Stripes, RHCP, Crimea, Tupac, Eminem, Godsmack, various soundtracks (I'm a soundtrack junkie)

... I dunno, lots. Can't think of it all right now, most of that is from a glance at my CD racks of the bands I have the most CD's from, some of it's stuff I'm liking at the mo.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Random Sweep
Protoform

Post by Random Sweep »

Last gig I went to was Pungent Stench last week. wasn't bad. they were better last time they were here though
Prowl1984

Post by Prowl1984 »

Yeah thats what i was doing :P oops forgot KoRn too :smokin:

Hunter S.Thompson
Wolfang

Post by Wolfang »

I currently enjoy the work of artists including Alice Cooper, Meat Loaf, Queen and Judas Priest. I am, however, getting into AC/DC, Iron Maiden and Motörhead. I don't mind some stuff by Whitesnake, Bruce Dickinson, Aerosmith or Black Sabbath either.

I suppose my taste is somewhere in the rock/metal scheme of things.
"I hold to a simple philosophy: assume everyone's a piece of c*** and then be pleasantly surprised if you find people who ain't."
CounterPunch
Protoform

Post by CounterPunch »

i was hoping to go and see Mars Volta this weekend, but work commitments got in the way...