Saw episode III last night [MAJOR SPOILERS]...

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
axio
Protoform

Post by axio »

Originally posted by Jetfire 2.1
I totally enjoyed it. Both times. First time far more vigous. And both times people cheered the ending and anything Yoda did (Especially the 2 red guards). I guess people in your cinema were constantly thinking "This is going to be great" rather than watching the acxtural film and getting involved.

No, I just wasn't surrounded by fanboys.

NOOOOOOOOOO, THE RAGE WITHIN ME BUILDS EVEN MORE

First off, George Lucas has BILLIONS of dollars worth of CGI ability... and yet the movie keeps using Powerpoint effects in between scenes? The first time it happened I was like, "well... I guess 'swirl' ISN'T really a Powerpoint effect..." then I saw checker-box and waited the entire movie for the tires screeching sound or at least the "WHOOOOSH"... sadly I was never given either. Using it ONCE is an homage to the original series, using it 349589345 is retarded. For some reason I'm far more angered at Lucas' resistance to using the star wipe effect than anything else. I would have clapped wildly if he had ended the"NOOOOOOOOOOOO" scene with a star wipe and a "WHOOOOSHHH".

The dialogue was corny, everytime Padme opened her mouth I was conflicted. Every fiber of my being wanted to punch her in the face, but... she was being played by the uber-hotness that is Natalie Portman. Never have I debated such things with myself before, for never before in my life have I had a desire to blatantly beat a woman so much. These were new emotions and I had no idea how to react to them.

General Grevious was supposed to be some amazing badass, instead he just sucked. If you expect me to go into more explaination why watch the Clone Wars cartoon and compare that Grevious with the Episode III Grevious. Something tells me the Episode III Grevious was really the Clone Wars Grevious' twin brother: General Sucksalot. "OOOH 4 LIGHT SABERS" only to get his head lopped off.

Then there is the Force. Unless you are some sort of idiotic Star Wars fanboy it is impossible to deny that Lucas simply ripped off old Samurai movies when "creating" the idea of the Jedi (you should read "Jedi" as "Samurai" from now on). I can envision Lucas giggling over a typewriter with a copy of Hagakure, but maybe that is giving him too much respect. In short, the "Force" is really the idea of "Ki". In Episodes IV-VI the idea was developed, mostly because it was simply lifted (like much of the rest of the movies) from the Hidden Fortress. This has come to light over the years forcing Lucas to admit that AT LEAST 3-CPO and R2-D2 were "inspired" by the Hidden Fortress, never mind that the main character in Hidden Fortress is from a farm and being lead by a Samurai, surely George Lucas came up with that on his own... the only difference is that Lucas decided to be clever and switched the farmgirl into a farmboy. Yeah, and Vanilla Ice added another "TCH" to Under Pressure. Anyway, thats another rant. This time around poor porcine George didn't have a Kurosawa movie to ripoff so the Force simply became a way for Jedi to lift rocks and call light sabers to their hands at a moment's notice.

Then there was the entire lava pit fight. Kenobi finds out that Anakin has turned into a mass-child murderer (because it will somehow allow Anakin to keep saying more awesome lines like "You're so beautiful" to Padme if he killed all the "Younglings") so instead of killing Anakin for mass murder and ending it there and then Kenobi just chops off his legs and leaves him. I guess Kenobi never read any comics in which the bad guy leaves the hero alone to be killed by nature/a plot, the good guy always gets away. Episode III proved that this concept works the other way around also: if the good guy is a ****ing moron and turns soft at the last second because the writer realizes that he has to turn soft or kill Anakin (thus saving a few billion people from dying, and killing off Episoide IV-VI also).

Padme's death scene made me realize that the future is going to be absolutely terrible when it comes to medicine. The official cause of Padame's death? "SHE HAS LOST THE WILL TO LIVE!" WHAT THE ****? FIRE THAT DOCTOR AND GET A REAL ONE IN HERE! They have ****ing robots, can turn people into cyborgs, can jet around in space, and can't seem to offer a SINGLE reason why she really died? No medical robot went "BLEP BEEP BLEEP GIVE HER A ****ING C-SECTION SO SHE WILL LIVE"? I mean seriously, she dies RIGHT after naming her kids in the most melodramatic fashion ever, complete with the head roll. I thought this stuff only happened in soap operas?

How "great" the movie is can be boiled down to the "NOOOOOOOOOO" scene. There isn't a single person alive who didn't laugh when they saw that.

If anything this move proved what I've been saying for years: George Lucas can't create anything without ripping it off from somewhere else. The second he tries it is like a retard trying to throw a javelin, he just spears himself in the balls with it.

Either that or Lucas is some sort of twisted genius who wanted to prove that he could make a total **** movie and still get people to say it was amazing.
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

On another note:
http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1 ... 701186A153
http://www.news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=13214

People thke this film to seriously. Or people will hop into any bandwaggon. Though the parallels are intresting.

Lucas himself, whose original 1977 Star Wars movie was a parable about the US war in Vietnam and the scandal surrounding the resignation of disgraced US president Richard Nixon
I'm not really up on my vietnam history (we barely made it into the 1900's in history in high school . . .). Could someone give a bare outline of the similarities?
Originally posted by LiquifiedTiger
General Grevious was supposed to be some amazing badass, instead he just sucked. If you expect me to go into more explaination why watch the Clone Wars cartoon and compare that Grevious with the Episode III Grevious. Something tells me the Episode III Grevious was really the Clone Wars Grevious' twin brother: General Sucksalot. "OOOH 4 LIGHT SABERS" only to get his head lopped off.

Actually, I know exactly why there's a discrepancy in the character. In the last episode of Clone Wars (which ends almost exactly when Ep III picks up), Mace uses a vader grip type move on Grievous, causing damage. That's why he's stumbling around, hunched over and coughing. Now, I don't know about you, but I would be too badass if someone just did that to me. Something like that would probably have required weeks, possibly months to heal, and he really didn't have time for that, seeing as he was being hunted down by Kenobi.
Bombshell

Post by Bombshell »

On another note:
http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1 ... 701186A153
http://www.news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=13214

People thke this film to seriously. Or people will hop into any bandwaggon. Though the parallels are intresting.

You know, I getting REALLY sick of seeing that comparison brought up.
Originally posted by Getaway
Vos is apparantly mentioned or killed on screen in the movie - i'm not seeing it till next week, can anyone confirm that - he should be on Kashyyyk with Yoda and Luminarra Unduli.

Yeah. He's mentioned having moved his troops to Boz Pity after liberating Salumecai . His death was supposed to be among the vignettes shown when Order 66 goes down, but it was cut. It's in the comic, though.
Pun-3X

Post by Pun-3X »

Originally posted by Bombshell
You know, I getting REALLY sick of seeing that comparison brought up.

What really ticks me off is that it's coming from both sides. Boycotts from people who don't even know this idea has been in mind since before 1977, comparisons from whiny brats who aren't getting their way because their party is currently in the minority, (what, it hasn't been in full-reverse before? I guess it was okay then, though...)

It's. A. Movie. Stop dragging it into places it doesn't belong.
Zisteau

Post by Zisteau »

No, I just wasn't surrounded by fanboys.

NOOOOOOOOOO, THE RAGE WITHIN ME BUILDS EVEN MORE

Did you ever stop to think people weren't clapping because the majority of the heroes in the film had just died, the ones that lived had gone into exile, and evil had just conquered the galaxy? Who claps to that?
First off, George Lucas has BILLIONS of dollars worth of CGI ability... and yet the movie keeps using Powerpoint effects in between scenes? The first time it happened I was like, "well... I guess 'swirl' ISN'T really a Powerpoint effect..." then I saw checker-box and waited the entire movie for the tires screeching sound or at least the "WHOOOOSH"... sadly I was never given either. Using it ONCE is an homage to the original series, using it 349589345 is retarded. For some reason I'm far more angered at Lucas' resistance to using the star wipe effect than anything else. I would have clapped wildly if he had ended the"NOOOOOOOOOOOO" scene with a star wipe and a "WHOOOOSHHH".

It's called a wipe. Lucas likes them. If you'd been paying attention, hes been using them since the '70s.
The dialogue was corny, everytime Padme opened her mouth I was conflicted. Every fiber of my being wanted to punch her in the face, but... she was being played by the uber-hotness that is Natalie Portman. Never have I debated such things with myself before, for never before in my life have I had a desire to blatantly beat a woman so much. These were new emotions and I had no idea how to react to them.

Some of the dialogue, particularly anything coming out of Portman's mouth, is indeed quite awful.

Sucksalot is relative. He had killed several Jedi, as shown by his lightsaber trophies. He just happened to go up against Kenobi, arguably the best swordsman of any of the jedi (he beat Anakin, after all).
Then there is the Force. Unless you are some sort of idiotic Star Wars fanboy it is impossible to deny that Lucas simply ripped off old Samurai movies when "creating" the idea of the Jedi (you should read "Jedi" as "Samurai" from now on). I can envision Lucas giggling over a typewriter with a copy of Hagakure, but maybe that is giving him too much respect. In short, the "Force" is really the idea of "Ki". In Episodes IV-VI the idea was developed, mostly because it was simply lifted (like much of the rest of the movies) from the Hidden Fortress. This has come to light over the years forcing Lucas to admit that AT LEAST 3-CPO and R2-D2 were "inspired" by the Hidden Fortress, never mind that the main character in Hidden Fortress is from a farm and being lead by a Samurai, surely George Lucas came up with that on his own... the only difference is that Lucas decided to be clever and switched the farmgirl into a farmboy. Yeah, and Vanilla Ice added another "TCH" to Under Pressure. Anyway, thats another rant. This time around poor porcine George didn't have a Kurosawa movie to ripoff so the Force simply became a way for Jedi to lift rocks and call light sabers to their hands at a moment's notice.

Lucas has always been open about his sources, Hidden Fortress and the hero cycle stuff. The force has always been used to move objects. What exactly is your point? (Oh yeah, you have no point. You're just too exited about being angry that you forgot it's usually good to have something to be angry about.)
Then there was the entire lava pit fight. Kenobi finds out that Anakin has turned into a mass-child murderer (because it will somehow allow Anakin to keep saying more awesome lines like "You're so beautiful" to Padme if he killed all the "Younglings") so instead of killing Anakin for mass murder and ending it there and then Kenobi just chops off his legs and leaves him. I guess Kenobi never read any comics in which the bad guy leaves the hero alone to be killed by nature/a plot, the good guy always gets away. Episode III proved that this concept works the other way around also: if the good guy is a ****ing moron and turns soft at the last second because the writer realizes that he has to turn soft or kill Anakin (thus saving a few billion people from dying, and killing off Episoide IV-VI also).

How is he supposed to know Anakin would get rescued? When Kenobi left, Anakin was on fire.
Padme's death scene made me realize that the future is going to be absolutely terrible when it comes to medicine. The official cause of Padame's death? "SHE HAS LOST THE WILL TO LIVE!" WHAT THE ****? FIRE THAT DOCTOR AND GET A REAL ONE IN HERE! They have ****ing robots, can turn people into cyborgs, can jet around in space, and can't seem to offer a SINGLE reason why she really died? No medical robot went "BLEP BEEP BLEEP GIVE HER A ****ING C-SECTION SO SHE WILL LIVE"? I mean seriously, she dies RIGHT after naming her kids in the most melodramatic fashion ever, complete with the head roll. I thought this stuff only happened in soap operas?

Yeah, it does happen in soap operas. It also happens in space operas, which is what Star Wars is and has always been. Like.....duh.
Random Sweep
Protoform

Post by Random Sweep »

How "great" the movie is can be boiled down to the "NOOOOOOOOOO" scene. There isn't a single person alive who didn't laugh when they saw that.

Actually, I didn't laugh when I saw that. it was more of a palm slap to the forehead kind of moment.

Still loved the movie both time I saw it though.
Redstreak
Protoform

Post by Redstreak »

Originally posted by Zisteau
Did you ever stop to think people weren't clapping because the majority of the heroes in the film had just died, the ones that lived had gone into exile, and evil had just conquered the galaxy? Who claps to that?

The crowd I saw it with, apparently; I'm sure there were fanboys present, but no one in costume or otherwise conspicuous fans.

I've had applause at the theatre a bit more often than most; the open of all three prequels, when R2D2 is first thanked in Ep1, when Yoda fights in Ep2, and another part in Ep3 that presently escapes me. Don't recall having any applause for either of the LOTR that I saw in the theatre, oddly.

But yeah, the main point being made here against LT is one I'd agree with; your predispositions entering a film affect how you see it and judge it. If you do not allow yourself to let go and get into it, you will not see it the same. Good movies draw you in, bad ones do not. Raise your expectations and they will be shot down...nothing lives up to the hype. Even with all the excitement, and two subpar eps before it, I went in with an open mind and came out very pleased.

More people need to free their minds for something like this; invariably it will aid in the experience.
Prowl1984

Post by Prowl1984 »

Ok random question/point.

Yoda decides to put Luke back on tattooine with his family...surely That would be the first place Vader would look?
of course he didn't because he thought he'd killed Padme, however Yoda did not know that Vader thought this :eyebrow:

"No point in long goodbyes, here's the door."

"Life's a trip, and then you die" -
Hunter S.Thompson
1937-2005 :smokin:
Zisteau

Post by Zisteau »

Originally posted by Prowl1984

Yoda decides to put Luke back on tattooine with his family...surely That would be the first place Vader would look?
of course he didn't because he thought he'd killed Padme, however Yoda did not know that Vader thought this :eyebrow:

Anakin never considered them his family. Remember the contempt he showed Shmi's (sp?) widower when he was there? I doubt Vader would ever want to return to Tatooine again, given the bad memories he has of his mother dieing.
Random Sweep
Protoform

Post by Random Sweep »

Yoda may not have known that Vader though he had killed Padme, But by returning her body back to Naboo with the appearance of still being pregnent, Vader would not know that the Twins had even been born.
Prowl1984

Post by Prowl1984 »

ahhhh, both very good points. well that's that cleared up

Hunter S.Thompson
Bombshell

Post by Bombshell »

Originally posted by Pun-3X
What really ticks me off is that it's coming from both sides. Boycotts from people who don't even know this idea has been in mind since before 1977, comparisons from whiny brats who aren't getting their way because their party is currently in the minority, (what, it hasn't been in full-reverse before? I guess it was okay then, though...)

That's a very good point. One, unfortunately, that isn't likely to realized by these people, considering that they fall into the "obsessive-fanboy-always-ready-to-defend-his-position" or "political-nutjob-actively- looking-for-anything-Anti-Bush-in-any-way" categories.
Originally posted by Zisteau
Sucksalot is relative. He had killed several Jedi, as shown by his lightsaber trophies. He just happened to go up against Kenobi, arguably the best swordsman of any of the jedi (he beat Anakin, after all)

There's also the fact that, during the operation to get Palpatine, Grievous got the s*it kicked out of him courtesy of Mace. That isn't exactly something you get up and walk away from.
Tiki Torch
Protoform

Post by Tiki Torch »

Originally posted by Blitzwing 2
-Saesee Tiin, Agen Kolar and Kit Fisto's deaths. I know Sidious is powerful, but he wasted the three in 7 seconds flat.
-No Shaak Ti! Not even a death scene. I was hoping she'd get a little screentime.

Right. Fisto's one of my favorite Jedi and he went out in two shots.

As for Shaak Ti, she was killer in the Clone Wars, but you only see her sitting down in the council in this movie.:mad:
Galvatron91

Post by Galvatron91 »

*sighs*

There is a reason why the three Jedi go out so quickly. The purpose is to show how powerful Palpy is. He's the Sith Lord, the big bad. If we want to see his power, what better way to do so than to have him wipe out three Jedi in a heartbeat.

As for Mace Windu, his death is nearly perfect I feel. He certainly did not go out like a bitch. He had Palpy defeated, something even Yoda wasn't able to do. Had Anakin not intervened, Windu would have successfully ended the Empire before it began. He wasn't expecting Anakin to turn on him, and he certainly wasn't ready for the attack by Palpy. I thought his death was effectively done.

The only real complaint I had on the movie was that Padme was horribly underused and was written rather weakly. Plus, she didn't have enough hot outfits...there are of course some issues with character conversations, but that comes from the fact that Lucas has never had a real human conversation, thus doesn't know how to write one.
Prowl1984

Post by Prowl1984 »

Ya see im going to have to disagree with people saying that Lucas could never write an effective dialogue. Admttedly all of the dialogue in the prequels was awful, however in the original trilogy it's near perfect, any scene where Han solo has anything to say definately relates good dialogue.

Hunter S.Thompson
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

any scene where Han solo has anything to say definately relates good dialogue.

Yeah, but that's down to Harrison Ford, not George Lucas.
Prowl1984

Post by Prowl1984 »

Originally posted by fort_max
Yeah, but that's down to Harrison Ford, not George Lucas.

Hmm True, but Ewan Mcgregor is an extremely talented actor, but he just didnt seem to come out of his shell in the SW films

Hunter S.Thompson
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

Hmm True, but Ewan Mcgregor is an extremely talented actor, but he just didnt seem to come out of his shell in the SW films
Well, it's not just the acting. Ford actually changed a fair bit of his dialogue.

I believe his words were, "You may be able to write this sh*t, but you sure as hell can't say it."

Or something along those lines.
Prowl1984

Post by Prowl1984 »

Originally posted by fort_max
Well, it's not just the acting. Ford actually changed a fair bit of his dialogue.

I believe his words were, "You may be able to write this sh*t, but you sure as hell can't say it."

Or something along those lines.

dammit, if only every actor in the prequels had said that too

Hunter S.Thompson
Bombshell

Post by Bombshell »

Originally posted by Galvatron91
There is a reason why the three Jedi go out so quickly. The purpose is to show how powerful Palpy is. He's the Sith Lord, the big bad. If we want to see his power, what better way to do so than to have him wipe out three Jedi in a heartbeat.

Yes. That is exactly right.
Originally posted by Galvatron91
As for Mace Windu, his death is nearly perfect I feel. He certainly did not go out like a bitch. He had Palpy defeated, something even Yoda wasn't able to do. Had Anakin not intervened, Windu would have successfully ended the Empire before it began. He wasn't expecting Anakin to turn on him, and he certainly wasn't ready for the attack by Palpy. I thought his death was effectively done.

Me, too.