The Curse of the Movie Trilogy

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
BigMaki
Protoform

Post by BigMaki »

It doesn't help that I'm a sucker for stories that involve time travel and warped reality as a result. It doesn't help that westerns are among my least-favorite genre. To each his own, though. I still say it's a remake of the first movie set in the 1800s.
Zisteau

Post by Zisteau »

Originally posted by BigMaki

First of all, whoever said ROTJ is better than ESB is wrong. ESB is the single best sequel ever

Read it again. I said that RotJ is better than A New Hope.
Originally posted by Sir Auros

Whoah whoah whoah! Maki, you've just lost an incredible amount of credibility. Been into the firewater again or is it just the Taco Bell talking? Back to the Future III is such a more watchable movie than BTTFII. Part II is just a movie that you watch to get through the trilogy because you're obligated to, but III is class.

I have to completely, utterly disagree with you there. I can barely stomach watching the third one.
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

Originally posted by Zisteau
I have to completely, utterly disagree with you there. I can barely stomach watching the third one.

That's it, you've made the sig too...
Zisteau

Post by Zisteau »

That's it, you've made the sig too...

"Maki and Zisteau are insane because they think Back to the Future Part II is better than III."

:D :up:

You forgot to add Blitzwing.
BigMaki
Protoform

Post by BigMaki »

Read it again. I said that RotJ is better than A New Hope.
I know what you said, somebody else said it. You're incorrect in your statement, too, though... ;) Turns out it was Knightdrammon who said it, but his Alien3 being better than Aliens statement probably made you gloss over the rest of the post. :D

I don't hate Part 3 THAT much, but I'll give you the :up: regardless.
Zisteau

Post by Zisteau »

Originally posted by BigMaki
I know what you said, somebody else said it. You're incorrect in your statement, too, though... ;)

I used to think IV was better than VI, too. I hadn't watched the original trilogy in several years, and I just in the last few weeks rewatched them all at once. I was amazed at how terrible the writing and acting in IV is. I also found I had far fewer problems with VI than I thought. The Ewoks are still a huge logic black hole, but other than that, the rest of it is quite good.
Loki
Protoform

Post by Loki »

:D :up:

You forgot to add Blitzwing.

Have to say I think BTTF2 is better than. 3 is watchable in it's own right without having had to have seen the others (Over here the BBC loves to show 3 without the others in sight) but it's just not as dark and dramatic as 2. Which is mostly what I like.

Random comments about the other stuff mentioned:
RoTK - let's just say they're all one film and ignore them... forever.
RoTJ > ANH - I think they're on a par but bizarrely for a Lucasfilm the pacing is better in ANH.
Batman forever - Val Kilmer, urgh.
Patlabor 3 - Nope, nowhere near 2 or even 1.
Alien 3 - Not as bad as everyone says but still lagging behind Aliens.
Reloaded is better than Revolutions. That's not saying a lot but their standards but it's true.

I think so far it is just Last Crusade. Damn that's sad. No one can make a good second sequel
StoneCold Skywarp
Custom Title: Best Served Chilled

Post by StoneCold Skywarp »

Can I go out on a limb here and say I prefer Alien & Alien 3 to 'Aliens'

whilst aliens is the all-out action romp we weren't expecting I prefer the fear of the unknown of the first film, and the familiar enemy in a suspicious role of the third film.

I've not watched Alien ressurection for ages, so I'll refrain from comment.
Zisteau

Post by Zisteau »

I don't see how people can be saying Last Crusade is better than Raiders. Raiders is a perfect film. Crusade is deeply flawed.
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

Originally posted by StoneCold Skywarp
Can I go out on a limb here and say I prefer Alien & Alien 3 to 'Aliens'

whilst aliens is the all-out action romp we weren't expecting I prefer the fear of the unknown of the first film, and the familiar enemy in a suspicious role of the third film.

I've not watched Alien ressurection for ages, so I'll refrain from comment.

Apparently dude, Jetfire and Heartbrend kid prefer action films to the horror 1 and 3 featured [even the little of it]. 2 was ok for the first half an hour.

Big maki, why don't you name me 5 characters in Aliens that had more than five lines, and whose's lines were sth different than 'Come on motherf*ckers' or 'Dear God they are everywhere' or 'Help me!' or or or...
Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
DrSpengler
Protoform

Post by DrSpengler »

Honestly, I enjoy all 3 Alien flicks and really don't get the hatred for the third installment. I didn't think it was as good as the first two, but by no means did I think of it as a bad movie. In fact, I thought it was a good finale, with Ripley taking the last alien queen to the death with her. And the Dog-Alien was pretty cool. I think the only bit that bugged me was that they killed off Michael Beihn and Newt during the opening credits, but I got over that quick.

Now Alien Ressurection, THERE was some crap.
dEcEpTiCoN MEGAtron
Protoform

Post by dEcEpTiCoN MEGAtron »

Originally posted by Knightdramon
Big maki, why don't you name me 5 characters in Aliens that had more than five lines, and whose's lines were sth different than 'Come on motherf*ckers' or 'Dear God they are everywhere' or 'Help me!' or or or...

I'll take it from there with one character...

Bill Paxton as Hudson:

1.) "Well that's great, that's just ****in' great man. Now what the **** are we supposed to do? We're in some real pretty **** now man... That's it man, game over man, game over! What the **** are we gonna do now? What are we gonna do?"
2.) "We're on an express elevator to hell - going down!"
3.) "You maybe haven't been keeping up on current events but we just got our asses kicked, pal!"
4.) "I'm ready, man, check it out. I am the ultimate badass! State of the badass art! You do NOT want to **** with me. Check it out! Hey Ripley, don't worry. Me and my squad of ultimate badasses will protect you! Check it out! Independently targeting particle beam phalanx. Whoa! Fry half a city with this puppy. We got tactical smart missiles, phase-plasma pulse rifles, RPGs, we got sonic electronic ball breakers! We got nukes, we got knives, sharp sticks..."
5.) Hudson: "Right, right. Somebody said "alien" she thought they said "illegal alien" and signed up!"
Vasquez: "**** you man!"
Hudson: "Anytime. Anywhere."

And of course like you said Knightdramon:

6.) "Come on! Come on! Come and get it, baby! Come on! Let's go, yeah, come on! Come on! Come and get it you bastards! Come on, you too! Oh, you want some of this? **** you!"

Aliens was by far the best in the series. Heck, it even won 2 oscars.
dEcEpTiCoN MEGAtron
Protoform

Post by dEcEpTiCoN MEGAtron »

I don't see how people can be saying Last Crusade is better than Raiders. Raiders is a perfect film. Crusade is deeply flawed.

They're not. They're saying it's better than Temple of Doom. This thread is about the 3rd part of a movie series being better than the 2nd part.

And how is The Last Crusade deeply flawed?
Back to the Future III is such a more watchable movie than BTTFII. Part II is just a movie that you watch to get through the trilogy because you're obligated to, but III is class.

Yeah, the 3rd one was great. They all were good movies, but I gotta say that part II was my least fav.
BigMaki
Protoform

Post by BigMaki »

Just to clear something up, I'm a huge fan of the Alien series. The first one is by far my favorite, with Aliens being next in line. I enjoy Alien3, but can understand how flawed it is by the studio continually ****ing Fincher over at every turn. I will repeat: I do enjoy Alien3. But to claim that it's better than Aliens? Well, that's just a pill I'll never be willing to swallow. Sorry.

You still didn't name me 5 characters, by the way. There's at least 20 in the movie with speaking lines, you know. More than in Aliens, in fact. ;)
moonbaseone
Protoform

Post by moonbaseone »

I think the Return Of The King was better then the other two, but I did really really like the 1st one. The second one was ok.

Also, the 3rd Matirx SUCKED...imo. I was sitting there thinking, WTH is going on here. Reloaded was good, not great. In my mind, The Matrix ended right after the 1st one.

Just my $0.02
"Till All Are ONE"

-Please visit FavoriteToons.com - your COMPLETE Cartoon Online resource for Toons, Anime, Transformers, and more!!!

By - Moonbaseone
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Originally posted by The HeartBrend Kid
Batman Forever/Batman & Robin were done by Joel Schumacher, Batman and Batman Returns were Tim Burton (from memory); ergo can be classed as different series as there was no direct continuity between the two pairs.

Tim Burton was an executive producer on Batman Forever (hence Doctor Burton). I'd say the four films count as one series. For Your Eyes Only has a different director and is a totally different type of film from Moonraker but no one would say they weren't part of the same franchise. Incidently, Batman Forever is fantastic and I can quote it all day (Batman! Batman you say? Coming for you?! I'm counting on it!").

In terms of third films that are better than the second... Halloween 3: Season of the Witch, it wouldn't be hard to be better than Halloween 2 though.

Alien 3 has Brian Glover and that bloke from Casualty in it. Just for that is deserves some sort of Oscar.

And anyone who thinks that Back to the Future Part 2 isn't the best film in that franchise is quite clearly mad.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Originally posted by inflatable dalek
Incidently, Batman Forever is fantastic and I can quote it all day (Batman! Batman you say? Coming for you?! I'm counting on it!").

Riddle me this, riddle me that...
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Originally posted by The HeartBrend Kid
Riddle me this, riddle me that...

"...Who's afraid of mthe big bad bat?"
"It's the car right, chicks dig the car".
"Could I persuade to to take a sandwhich sir?"
"I'll get drivethrough".

See what you've started? Admitedly my love of this movie has a lot to do with that flash of Nicole Kidman's knickers* as she falls down the shoot at the end, I was just the right age to really apriciate that sort of thing at the time...

*Yes, I know it was a stunt woman/man, but hey, that's the magic of hollywood.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Grimlock

Post by Grimlock »

k i'm drunk, barely typing properly, angry and on a rampage.

I skimmed over the thread and saw last crusade mentioned,

1. I don't care if Temple was technically a prequel, Last Crusade is better.

2. Last Crusade is better than Raiders and has some of my most favouruite moments in film history included in it.

I'm sorry but the the last 30 minutes or so of Last Crusade is FCUKING AWESOME! Aside from Indy and Henry rekindling their relationship (which as steven spielberg or whoever says in the commentary, was actaully the holy grail) you just can't beat things like "So what did you find dad" Sir Sean: "Illumination" FcUCK ME I love that line.

AAAAAwwwwwwwwwwwweeeeeeeeeesome!

Stumps was just drawn, England suck.

Last Crusade forever.

What's cracking Brend?

Solid thread. yer. mmmmm alcohol.
"Among those fans there's at least one guy for whom you're a hero. He saved money to see you! That's what I did. I played for that guy." - Bruce Springsteen (1987)
Dreadwing
Protoform

Post by Dreadwing »

Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 is by far the best in the series. Its directed by Toby Hooper and its got Dennis Hopper and Bill Mosley. Plus so mush over the top gore.

The first evil Dead is the Best. The oters are great to, but the first is my favorite.

Hannibal was better than Silence of the Lambs or Red Dragon

Once Upon a Time in Mexico was a wonderful improvement on Desparado

Day of the Dead is, imo, better than Dawn of the Dead. It has more gore and a much darker story.

Tremmors 3 sucked.

Zombie 4 was terrible compared to Zombie 3

Return of the Living Dead pt 3 better than pt 2

Metal Gear Solid 3, best in the series