Stand up comedians/comediennes(?) who is your favourite?

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Wildrider

Stand up comedians/comediennes(?) who is your favourite?

Post by Wildrider »

In my youth I was always sceptical of the stand up comedian, but I've come to appreciate the art form and be critical of those who don't pass muster.

Now this thread may only be applicable to my UK comrades as I'm not sure as to the transatlantic prowess of my favourite stand ups.

Right out at number one is Bill Bailey ever since I caught a re-run of 'Cosmic Jam' ages ago I've been hooked on this delightful fellow and his 'Part Troll' tour/DVD is a regular on my DVD player. Surrealist humour does tend to my favourite, but Bill grounds his lunacy in reality as so when he goes for it he really catches you out.

I was always fond of Izzard when I was younger but I've never really stayed with him. Dylan Moran is also alot of fun, going off on tangents at will and forgetting (Or seeming to) where he started. I've got tickets to see him later this year.

I've also enjoyed some of Ross Noble's stuff and I've a terrible fondness for Lee & Herring which remains unfulfilled until they release 'Fist of Fun' on DVD again.

Alot of stand up is crap though as well in my opinion. Johnny Vegas? That fat bastard was lurking round Wigan and St Helens giving it the big 'I am' years ago not a pleasant character and drop dead unfunny. Al 'Pub Landlord' ? Jack Dee (what happened?).

Who tickles your funny bone?
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Post by Cyberstrike nTo »

Abbott and Costello and The 3 Stooges.
Please visit Outlaw Colony my new message board it's a fun site for fun people.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Bill Bailey. Though Ricky Gervais' DVDs have been great, especially considering how hyped they were. Dylan Moran is a legend, and Ardal O'Hanlon is superb (the one about his dad, the fridge and the price sticker is still one of the funniest things I've ever heard). Oh, and Paul Merton.
angloconvoy

Post by angloconvoy »

I'm more or less the same as wildrider, with the exception that I think Jack Dee still manages one or two good laughs per show (which isn't up to his former standard but still worth a look if nothing else is on)
Bountyhunter
Protoform

Post by Bountyhunter »

I prefer Bill Maher, Larry Miller, George Carlin and The Who's line is it anyway group (either the older english version or the new Drew Carey version). I used to like Dennis Miller before he became a repulblican suck up.
Wildrider

Post by Wildrider »

Originally posted by Bountyhunter
The Who's line is it anyway group (either the older english version or the new Drew Carey version).

I used to love that show back in the day, but mostly when those two Canadian guys were on it Ryan Stiles and Colin Mockerie? Those two were fantastic together pure improv (or was it?!) genius, Proops was ok too.

Stiles dinosaur impression still cracks me up, ironicall the British comedians were 8/10 crap. Slattery and that bird with the bright red lipstick, I forget her name, but she sucked.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Ryan Stiles. What a ****ing legend! And who did we have? Rowland kiddyfiddlin' Rivron. C<U<N<T
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Originally posted by Cliffjumper
Ryan Stiles. What a ****ing legend! And who did we have? Rowland kiddyfiddlin' Rivron. C<U<N<T

I'm related to people who are related to Rowland. :(
Prowl1984

Post by Prowl1984 »

Bill Bailey all the way! i freaking love that guy. I'm gonna say jack Dee aswell even if he has Strayed lately, his early stuff was brilliant. Other than that, Bill Hicks (God rest his soul) and Eddie Izzard because the prospect of a transvestite army cracks me up :D

edit: oh and Billy Connely, i like to see eccentric Scotsmen go on rants about everything. i wasn't to keen on that series he did last year where he wandered around Australia though, between his wanderings you got to see clips from the shows he was doing in the country and you just wanted to see the whole bloody routine!!!

"No point in long goodbyes, here's the door."

"Life's a trip, and then you die" -
Hunter S.Thompson
1937-2005 :smokin:
the_escaflowne_2k
Protoform

Post by the_escaflowne_2k »

Dylan Moran, Billy Conely and Lucy Porter are some of my favourites. We have a comedy night here at uni every sun and get quite a a good selection as its sponsered by Paramount Comedy channel.
"all i can say is that my life is pretty plain, you don't like my point of view you think that i'm insane"
Mirage

Post by Mirage »

jerry seinfeld, his musings amuse me
join me on myspace!!!! http://www.myspace.com/jezzy_bravo

if you get chance check out my eBay auctions...... http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQsassZjezzy_bravoQQhtZ-1
Hound

Post by Hound »

Robin Williams and Richard Pryor

Jim Carrey and Damon Wayans too
ravimus prime
Protoform

Post by ravimus prime »

Tommy Tiernan, Billy Connnely.
Bountyhunter
Protoform

Post by Bountyhunter »

Originally posted by Prowl1984
edit: oh and Billy Connely, i like to see eccentric Scotsmen go on rants about everything. i wasn't to keen on that series he did last year where he wandered around Australia though, between his wanderings you got to see clips from the shows he was doing in the country and you just wanted to see the whole bloody routine!!!

I like him too.
BigMaki
Protoform

Post by BigMaki »

I enjoy Chris Rock and Bill Hicks because there is always something more going on than just making people laugh. Especially with Bill Hicks. Other than that, I like a lot of the local comedians I've met around Jacksonville. Good people. Also some of the lesser-known comedians on the circuit, especially a guy named Philadelphia. Funny as ****...